Match 1: Qatar vs Ecuador - BBC1 4pm GMT kick off LIVE from the Al Bayt Stadium in Al Khor

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

You guys are forgetting the North Korea side we battered 7-0

They did have that match against Brazil, decided by Maicon's gravity bending shot.

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

Or the 2002 Saudis that lost to Germany 8-0.. At a time Germany were pretty **** (they did make the final but had a really mediocre, dull team) 

Didn't Klose score a hattrick of headers in that one?

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

This could actually backfire for Ecuador.

Assuming Netherlands is first with 9 points and Ecuador draws with Senegal, on the last matchday Senegal could play for GD against Qatar.

Valid point, but at the same time by not needing to exert themselves in this second half they could have more energy and give themselves a higher chance of beating Senegal perhaps. 

1 minute ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I’m not quite sure they’re as bad as that Saudi side in 2002, but certainly up there with Panama from the last tournament. Think the North Korean 2010 side probably better as they didn’t look horrendous against Brazil. 

North Korean citizens still think they won that tournament.

2 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I’m not quite sure they’re as bad as that Saudi side in 2002, but certainly up there with Panama from the last tournament. Think the North Korean 2010 side probably better as they didn’t look horrendous against Brazil. 

At least North Koreans had that moment of crying during the anthem. :D

Just now, Weezer said:

I've actually got tickets to Netherlands v Qatar but I too will have to leave early because a couple of weeks after I got them I managed to get England v Wales tickets on the same day.

Wonder how many ‘locals’ have got tickets to games like that. So regardless the score, they have to leave early, or stay and arrive late at other game :D 

49 minutes ago, Smallen said:

So odd that so many of them left early in the second half. It’s their first game in a world cup and they’re the hosts ffs

And they paid for those tickets, it seems they don’t mind wasting their money.

Idk where to put this since there's no general thread, but I'm sure @Rob1981 will like it. :D

Stats for groups since 32 team format was introduced.

Semi-finalists:

1998: A2 C1 E4 H3
2002: C1 C3 D4 E2
2006: A3 D4 E1 G2
2010: A4 E2 D3 H1
2014: A4 B3 F2 G1
2018: C1 D2 G3 G4

A: 2 3 4 4 - never had a winner from group A, one finalist.
B: 3 - worst group, zero finalists.
C: 1 1 3 1 - best group.
D: 4 4 3 2  - one finalist, in 2018.
E: 4 2 1 2 - most lost finals, nothing on past two WCs.
F: 2 - second worst group, only one final in 2014.
G: 2 1 3 4 - only group to have each from 1-2-3-4.
H: 3 1 - one third place and one winner.

Edited by GunmaN1905

2 hours ago, Smallen said:

So odd that so many of them left early in the second half. It’s their first game in a world cup and they’re the hosts ffs

2 hours ago, Rebs said:

Bud Light queue clearly long 👉👉👉👉

according to what they told on our tv a lot already left the stadium at HT, suggesting these were "paid fans" to get a full stadium and they did their job

then again maybe some thought at half time the game was already over and they weren't aware it's a game of two halves

or maybe they went to join the Irani protesters outside the stadium, who knows

After being overshadowed by the BBC’s focus on the human rights issues that have been surrounding the World Cup 2022, yesterday’s opener between hosts Qatar and Ecuador kicked off with a hefty peak of 8M viewers.

The game, which ended 2-0 to Ecuador, was watched by an average of 6.2M across its 195-minute run time – 2M ahead of the opener four years ago between Russia and Saudi Arabia on ITV.