Arsenal is way too powerful

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its probably because the AI Wenger is as good tactically and at spotting deficiencies in his squad as he is at developing players and scouting....which sadly for me isn't entirely accurate...

Also it is worth remembering that last year Arsenal would probably have won the league had eduardo and van persie not been injured at the same time, and had their captain not suffered an inexplicable mental breakdown....and also players on FM are more likely to reach their potential than in real life.

Arsenal have been flakey this year and have a poorly balanced squad, but its also worth remembering that so far clichy and almunia are the only players not to have missed significant game time this season...not even FM09 pre-patch could match that one!

im currently half way through season 4 of my man united game and in 3rd season arsenal finished 4th so far this season there 11th and 1st season chelsea won prem and season two and three i won but so far chelsea are miles ahead in premiership points in 4th season

so i dont think arsenal are to powerful i and plenty other teams have gotten wins over them and they are as of yet to win anything in my game

in my man city game (only played a season and a half, got too boring) arsenal ripped ahead and were 6-7pts clear in february, however i started placing some pressure on them during press conferences and they stuttered, dropped enough points for me to win with a game to go in the end.

incidentally, eduardo broke his leg AGAIN! in my game. not even a joke, was out for 6-7months if i recall.

It's not the case when I play with them :( I have been tweaking my tactics for 2 weeks now and somehow I cannot manage to have my players scoring enough for my taste (main striker has bagged 5 goals and I am currently in december) I am not asking them to score 50 a season but ther current return is to low.

What worries me is that when I browse the forums I see a lot of people reporting similar stories and yet there is no official stand from SI on this yet. They could at lest say it's a bug and that they are looking at it for patch 2

Alternatively, if they do not think it is a bug, they could probably provide some guildelines about strikers settings with the new engine.

Not too sure about that...

it is fair to remark that despite the poor form arsenal had on the run-in, had they won that game at old trafford, whilst playing as the better side the title would have been ours, with us on 86 points, chelsea 85, man utd 84. so it is fair to summise the long absence of 2 class strikers would have made at least that 3 points difference.

it is fair to remark that despite the poor form arsenal had on the run-in, had they won that game at old trafford, whilst playing as the better side the title would have been ours, with us on 86 points, chelsea 85, man utd 84. so it is fair to summise the long absence of 2 class strikers would have made at least that 3 points difference.

And if Chelsea hadn't had Cech and Terry injured during the Xmas period I think it was, they would've won in that season too instead of Man Utd.

Ifs, buts, whens, shoulda, woulda, coulda.

You cannot deny that Arsenal have a lot of potential and quality. But you can't compare a game against real life IMHO. I mean on my mates FM09, he is Arsenal btw, Manchester U finished 20 points (!) ahead of Chelsea. Only he managed to keep up pace with them and was the only team to beat them (home and away btw). Not a chance Chelsea would be this crap in the 1st season with all the quality they have. Then we have the fact Liverpool finsihed 5th...behind Newcastle who are really struggling in the league IRL. Tottenham were top 6 for the entire season, they've struggled a lot so far IRL. Hull ended 17th yet in reality they are a top 10 team atm.

If one is gonna compare real life with a game everything will look odd. Arsenal aren't doing well in the league but in the game they use the quality and potential in a good way. I think it's simply beacause there isn't much that really goes on behind the scenes in the game as it does IRL, if you know what I mean. A game simply calculates results, it's bit harder in reality. We're talking bust-ups, form, mental focus etc etc. I can't see this beeing a factor that is really taken into account in the game. Maybe once or twice during my time as FM manager have I had two players disslike eachother or some other differences, form may be a bit of a factor though but still there is so much more to real world football that isn't represented in the game, and I doubt it could be ever.

I would say that Arsenal are so good on the game because their weakness in real life is either not represented or not exploited in game.

Arsenal arguably play the best football in the world. However, in real life when they get bullied and frustrated by big physical teams they have a tendency to fall apart.

In game it would apear that either the AI does not take this approach against them or if it does that their weakness is not reflected correctly.

Ability wise though i dont think they are particularly overated as individuals.

I'll repeat again and again. Arsenal have the LOWEST average CA out of the big 4. Like a previous poster said, the match engine might be geared towards the short passing style that Arsenal plays. But in no ways is Arsenal overrated!!

If you think they are overrated, what do you propose to do? Lower the CA? No, it's already low. Lower the fiance? No, they are already 4th in league.

Guys, the problem is not with the Arsenal team itself. Database evidence goes against that claim. Very poor squad when compared to the other big teams around Europe.

I think it's just the ME this time round. The way Arsenal in FM play their football is just so effective. Their style is effective in this ME, thus they overachieve.

If Man Utd play the exact same style, they would achieve even more. But they don't.

Stop blaming the Arsenal team because they are not over-rated by any stretch of the imagination. Blame the ME and the Game for not being able to fully represent the weakness in Arsenal's style of football.

I'll repeat again and again. Arsenal have the LOWEST average CA out of the big 4. Like a previous poster said, the match engine might be geared towards the short passing style that Arsenal plays. But in no ways is Arsenal overrated!!

If you think they are overrated, what do you propose to do? Lower the CA? No, it's already low. Lower the fiance? No, they are already 4th in league.

Their players have better stats in key areas. CA is NOT the be all and end of of the game. Neither is squad depth. In FM larger squad = more injuries (in my 100's of seasons of playing experience accross many versions).

Their players have better stats in key areas. CA is NOT the be all and end of of the game. Neither is squad depth. In FM larger squad = more injuries (in my 100's of seasons of playing experience accross many versions).

1. Those key areas are weighted to use up more CA. Could you give an example of a Arsenal player with low CA, but un-proportionately good attributes?

2. Of course more players = more injuries. What are you trying to say here? Arsenal has a thin squad. Everyone knows that.

Everyone needs to stop saying Arsenal is over-rated. Check out the database. If anything, Arsenal is under-rated. There's only 3 players above 170 CA compared to 9 at Chelsea and ManU.

I agree SiN8. The players, club and finances seem balanced to me but if the ME is geared towards the purist form of the game then Arsenal with AW are obviously going to mop the floor with everyone. The engine and perhaps the style other teams use still needs tuning.

I'm playing as Arsenal to get a feel for the game without the pressures of being at a small club and what's annoying me is clubs like West Brom playing waaaaaaay above themselves. I'm beating teams like them but it's irritating to be playing a short passing game at home, with all your players rating 7+ and ending up with 45% possession when I can go to Liverpool and have 60%. Is that a bug or anything? Seems odd how often that happens yet they never score and rarely even have a chance.

the question should be who have arsenal bought into the club? i think a few really good players would make arsenal a heck of a lot better and depending on who they bring in then winning a lot does not seem like such a big deal. sin8 has already stated that the ca of arsenal is fairly low at the start of the game. i agree. in my games arsenal usually go out and make some good buys early on. i think this could be the reason for their success.

Arsenal are a tad overrated in FM09 imo.

Well perhaps they arent so much overrated as Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd are underrated.

(and i dont give two hoots about CA or whatever its how they perform in game that matters)

In my current game, Man Utd and Liverpool regularly get held to dissapointing draws or lose against crappy teams, so do chelsea to a lesser extent but Arsenal so far have a 6 point lead at the top half way through the season and are unbeaten (no other team is)

Half the problem is that while nobody who likes football can deny they play great football the ME does not take into account their weaknesses, namely a lack of maturity (and sometimes bravery) to see out easy wins and their inability to be uncomplicated.

Some of their players are way to highly rated as well, Bendtner is a decent young player IRL maybe a great player one day but so far he is not the finished article, in FM09 the man is a beast his stats are awesome, and Walcott is another example, sure the guys has amazing pace but like Lennon his final ball stinks and his finishing is hardly top draw yet his FM09 stats dont reflect that he has crossing 16 for gods sake which he definately doesnt have in real life.

Anyway like i say i think the point is more that Chelsea and Man Utd and Liverpool arent good enough rather than Arsenal being to good.

I think it also has to do with their players all being very young and having a high potential. Player development for players under 23/24, especially when given regular first team football, generally seems to be quite fast which means that a lot of the arsenal youngsters will rise up pretty fast effectively making them the strongest teamin the world. I haven't checked but would imagine that Arsenals average PA is higher than that of sides like Man U and Liverpool plus the Arsenal squad in general is quite young, giving them lots of room for quick improvements.

Played three seasons and Arsenal have won the league every year. I don't think many would disagree that the players they've got have amazing skills and on form they can beat anyone, but the thing about Arsenal and their current crop of players is that they are inconsistent. They get complacent when they're doing well and they lose their focus when things go wrong. Also, most of them are douche bags. This is not reflected in the database.

this is not a data issue more a match engine because the arsenal data is pretty accurate, if you have a problem with the data go to the data area and give a fair and well constructed aregument (otherise the reasearcher won't listen) and you may get some joy.;)

In a game that is realistic to the point of random things happening, where you can never be sure of which big team is going to have a storming season - Arsenal with the AI in charge are winning FAR too much. When 99% of people posting are saying that Arsenal walked away with the title 2 or 3 times in a row without any challenge, you know that something is wrong.

It doesn't reflect the way that the game has always worked, and it certainly doesn't reflect real life.

this is not a data issue more a match engine because the arsenal data is pretty accurate, if you have a problem with the data go to the data area and give a fair and well constructed aregument (otherise the reasearcher won't listen) and you may get some joy.;)

Did you reply to my post or the original poster? If it's the former I would say there is no need to go into detail because the evidence is so clear and really speaks for itself. Look at their stats in the editor and you will see that they have all excellent mental stats that does not mirror reality at all.

Petr cech is in the top most consistent GK performers in the league, with Given and Friedel in real life.

My premiership results with me not playing any of these teams are :

2008 Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U

2009 Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U

2010 Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool

2011 Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U, Tottenham, Liverpool

2012 Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool

Now Arsenal have a good team, but not that good to win 4 outa 5 league titles. In game they have bought in 8 players TOTAL in 5 seasons. 4 on frees, and spent total of £50m on other 4, last one was £20m for my left back. Not very realistic tbh.

Arsenal are also ridiculous on my game, you can argue thats its not their players CA but just the match engine favouring them, well its still a problem then isnt it.

They are almost impossible to play, if you approach them like you would in real life (high closing down, heavy tackling and wacking the ball up to a big man) you still get tonked, and playing them at their own game, well you get beat even worse.

I hate them

i'm playing as arsenal, seeing as i've supported them for 30 years it seemed like the obvious choice. up until the end of season 4 i would agree that they are too powerful. i'd won the league 3 seasons in a row, finished 2nd in my 4th season, won the champions league once and been runner up once. because of their financial superiority had managed to buy casillas, diarra, ramos, messi and ibrahimovic. now in my 5th season i'm close to the sack. without doing anything differently i've only managed to win 1 in 7 league games. not sure how this has happened.

Archived