Either I am a tactical genius or FM22 is to easy.

Dominated possession in my first four games with Excelsior in the Dutch second tier and have over 90% pass completion each time. Had one centre back with 118 passes with a 99% efficiency, maybe a much? 

Tactics are Vertical Tika-Taka but with the defensive line and press line brought back and offside trap switched off. 

Won 3 out of 4 but Excelsior are doing well irl. Anyone here follow the Dutch second tier and know why they're doing so well? 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/10/2021 at 11:21, Fettucine_Alfredo said:

You don't need to be a genius to win the league with Utd. Making a good tactic is enough. So I'd say you're no genius, but your tactic is good. Not average or whatever, it's good, no problem on this.

Even when trying the "OP" stuff I struggle. My Haaland can't score his 1c1. He's not good as a target man (I've seen people destroying everything with a defaut tactic and a target man, usually a mediocre player). See, that's someone who's terrible at tactics. FM will never be too easy for me :seagull:

More info on your tactic?

Haaland can't score for me either. He's even misses 2 of the 3 penalties he's taken. He get's nice throghballs every game, but either a bad first touch or a bad decision makes him not score.
Not blaming the game, but I've seen other people complain about Haaland too. Think it's something with his mix of attributes or something. I've been playing him as a AF, will change him to CF when I get home from work.
Lacazette scores.

6 hours ago, superposh said:

Last year I took Peterborough from League One to 9th in the Premier League in four seasons. That included back to back title wins after losing in the play off final in my first season. That felt too easy. It was done with preset tactics and 'abusing' the loan market. 

My second save was with Kings Lynn. No preset tactics, not using the player search facility, only signing players I had scouted, no senior affiliate to get quality loans from. It was a struggle and after 8 seasons I was languishing in League Two and going nowhere. 

I think sometimes you have to make it difficult for yourself if difficulty is what you want. Managing United, Liverpool, City, Chelsea and complaining that the game is too easy doesn't sit right with me, especially if you've been playing this game for years. Take charge at some little second tier Colombian side, go manage in Latvia or the bottom tier in Germany. There are so many challenges out there to find where you'll be surrounded by players you've never heard of. 

You shouldn’t need house rules if they fix things like how the AI play against you…

You’re basically pointing out what’s wrong with the game without even saying it. 

Teams that are favorites (Man U) have it easier because AI teams tend to play very low risk against them. Teams that are not favorites the AI tend to play them with more risk taking.

people that keep being up “oh it’s easy because you play with this club” is a moot point because you are preaching to the choir. We know that’s the problem. AI teams rather soak up pressure all game against these teams and don’t take any risk hence why a Gegenpress is so effective even with stamina changes. Add the fact that goals from headers are currently OP and there are way too many crosses. 

on a positive note, transfers became a bit difficult so gone are the days that you can just take a bottom dwelling EPL team and turn them into favorites at the start of the season and win the league. Jury is still out on non league though.

4 hours ago, Butters76 said:

Haaland can't score for me either. He's even misses 2 of the 3 penalties he's taken. He get's nice throghballs every game, but either a bad first touch or a bad decision makes him not score.
Not blaming the game, but I've seen other people complain about Haaland too. Think it's something with his mix of attributes or something. I've been playing him as a AF, will change him to CF when I get home from work.
Lacazette scores.

Quite the contrary for me, I've seen multiple people with Haaland scoring like 60+ goals in the season.

He picked up his form now, his goal ratio is great (something like 28 in 30 games). I guess it was a form/tactic thing, I don't know. Still doesn't feel like the cheat code who would score 60+, but can't ask for more than he is doing.

1 hour ago, Fettucine_Alfredo said:

Quite the contrary for me, I've seen multiple people with Haaland scoring like 60+ goals in the season.

He picked up his form now, his goal ratio is great (something like 28 in 30 games). I guess it was a form/tactic thing, I don't know. Still doesn't feel like the cheat code who would score 60+, but can't ask for more than he is doing.

Jepp, picked up his game for me too late october. has 4 goals in 3 last games now. I did change him from AF to CF though.

1 hour ago, SergeiG said:

Just an update:

January 22nd, 35 games deep, all wins.

:onmehead:

Please open a bug report and upload your save so SI can take a look. Perhaps you are exploiting something that SI would like to fix, because I'm not having an easy time in the lower leagues.

20 hours ago, diddydaddydoddy said:

Can't alter past FMs but there is a chance that FM22 could be discussed further during its lifecycle. Not sure how (or why) Man Utd's stats could be favoured over other teams stats tbh. 

As in things like pace, acceleration etc can matter more than mental and technical skills, which Man Utd players have in abundance, not that the developers made Man Utd players more favoured.

So teams with high mentals and technicals and teamwork etc but low pace/acceleration like Bayern can get shafted in this game. Up to FM 21 if I meet Bayern in Europe I know it’s an easy CL game, and I know I’m not the only one with this experience.

Similarly, Pep’s City tends to underachieve in nearly every single edition despite being dominant in real life. Who hasn’t seen him fired after finishing 5th in the first season while Ole or Mourinho’s Man Utd rampages to 3 straight league titles and the CL title despite never even winning a major title for the past 10 years in real life. 

Hope that clarifies things on why I think Man Utd is favoured in the game. Not sure how this can be balanced though so good luck to the developers.

Edited by backpocket

2076557301_Bundesliga_Profile.png.bb4542ac7cf724ecc4dc82c42b326e4b.png

Even discounting luck (my goalkeeper ended up having around 20xG saved), this was an excellent season way above expectation that would have ended with a serious challenge for the European competitions. Almost a shame Haaland only played 23 matches though, *that* could have been a finale, otherwise!

Early on I was most often saved by my keeper, towards the end it felt like morale and form brought me over the top with a few truly excellent games towards the end.

Wouldn't say it was too easy, though. It was a big fight with lots of shouting and fining but it was in its own way fun. Don't know how it would have felt as a team where such a season would have been expected or be inside the margin of error, though. There were a few situations where I pretty much FM'd the oppositions.

people who find the game hard need to think logically more about tactics, eg amount of people that want to have short passing and then have pass in to space as well, you need highly skilled players to pull off bad tactics. ( bad tactics are things that only work with strong teams)  i may have worded this in a way some wont like / agree with

On 27/10/2021 at 13:49, backpocket said:

As in things like pace, acceleration etc can matter more than mental and technical skills, which Man Utd players have in abundance, not that the developers made Man Utd players more favoured.

So teams with high mentals and technicals and teamwork etc but low pace/acceleration like Bayern can get shafted in this game. Up to FM 21 if I meet Bayern in Europe I know it’s an easy CL game, and I know I’m not the only one with this experience.

Similarly, Pep’s City tends to underachieve in nearly every single edition despite being dominant in real life. Who hasn’t seen him fired after finishing 5th in the first season while Ole or Mourinho’s Man Utd rampages to 3 straight league titles and the CL title despite never even winning a major title for the past 10 years in real life. 

Hope that clarifies things on why I think Man Utd is favoured in the game. Not sure how this can be balanced though so good luck to the developers.

Yeah, noticed man city underperforming in fm as well. Liverpool, Arsenal and man utd tend to do better under AI with high press, high chances created, high possession. Will need to progress season longer to see if such tactics will cost injuries in this fm22

8 hours ago, McBride said:

Win world cup with Armenia using gegenpress. I'm not kidding.

Please provide a bug report with a save uploaded showing this happening. SI can take a look and see if they can spot why it happened.

6 hours ago, Junkhead said:

Last year I was quite vocal on this thread suggesting that people who are finding it easy limit themselves to LLM style rules and start with lower division teams and no badges. Whilst I understand the points that @Mars_Blackmon and others are making, I stand by this to a point - the reason people are calling for OGS to be sacked IRL is because on paper the Manchester United squad is excellent. It SHOULD be easier to take over a team packed full of internationals and get them playing well, even if the user's tactics are poor because of the quality of the player. However, where I do agree with what people are saying is that teams shouldn't be going unbeaten constantly, even if they are the Manchester United's of the world.  What should be tough for Manchester United managers is getting the players onside, dealing with long running contract issues like Pogba, competing with numerous other top clubs for players like Sancho, and generally managing the morale of top stars who aren't in the 11, keeping agents onside for the future, etc.

Winning the Bundesliga with Freiburg in the first season should be nigh on impossible, and something that hardly anyone can do. 

Also in last year's thread, I repeatedly said that I hadn't had enough time with FM21 to make a judgement. Ultimately, I didn't generally find it easy, but I mostly played at very low levels. I found some teams I used easier than others, but in other saves (one where I was a Chinese team based in inner Mongolia comes to mind) I had an absolute nightmare.

This year, however, I have already had a fair bit of time with the game. Although I am only 10 games in, good results are coming more easily than I would expect. As Alfreton Town, I have lost one game all season and sit third in the Conference North, playing by my usual restrictive LLM rules. I am using a counter attacking tactic which has two variants, one based on hassling the opposition in midfield and overruning them forcing them to go long, the other where I sit back and play long balls into the channels. The variant where I press more is completely overwhelming teams and I am creating a silly number of chances. My strikers miss loads of them because they're rubbish, but even with restrictive rules and avoiding typical gegenpressing tactics and instructions, it feels easy early on even with no badges/experience. In mid October I have all of the dressing room onside, multiple partnerships forming and have lost once out of 10 in the league.

I will see how the rest of the season goes, but it is worth noting also that this is by no means one of the stronger teams in the conference north, and the only player I have signed is a backup left back.

TLDR: Man Utd should be easier than Crystal Palace but not hammering Man City constantly, Freiburg shouldn't be winning the Bundesliga, and my Alfreton Town are doing better than I feel they should be.

The thing is OGS doesn't have the rep of a world class manager or as a player so his players most likely aren't buying in. This is not really the case in FM. if you're careful with team talks and meetings, you can avoid morale problems. I do it all of the time, I'm just dealing with a small window of leeway. What's missing when managing a high rep club with a low rep manager is struggling to get you players from being complacent which is what ManUFC (lol) are and have been for years...

Also stuff like Team cohesion are too forgiving. If you aren't breaking up the hierarchy that much, you will barely lose any cohesion despite having half of your squad just joining the team. Not to mention that Team cohesion should be hard to reach with a manger with low badges. If a manager's rep and badges are "suppose" to be a difficulty level then it needs to effect more than just team talks and morale at least at a more noticeable level.

Outside of that, Man Utd players are probably a little overrated in FM.

For me FM22 beta seems too easy, however I am playing as Liverpool but the reason i think its too easy is because:

1, I have simply picked the default gegenpress tactic and made zero adjustments tactically regardless who I face, im top of the league by quite a massive margin

2, I never do press interviews always send my assistant (I'm an ex FMT player)

3, Haven't touched team training again leave it to the AI

4, Made zero transfers

5, Very little thought goes into team talks 

6, I simply swap out a few jaded or injured players and click continue.

7, Always skip team meetings

8, Don't bother with opposition instructions

Now I know I'm managing one of the best teams in the world and I will manage a lower league team when the game comes out on the 9th Nov.

I'm normally a FMT player and It seems to me all these extra bolt on such such as team talks, training, interviews, etc have very little impact.

I have to conclude FM22 beta is just too easy i would expect some kind of challenge maybe having to tweak tactics based on the opposition, adjust training regimes but its simply plug and play which becomes very, very boring. Managing a top club shouldn't be this easy, to get the results I'm getting I should be doing press interviews, managing the morale, adjusting tactics. I want to feel involved with the team currently I feel quite detached from the game and I'm sure my 6 year old daughter could probably achieve the same success as me.

Edited by Weller1980

Is there really no way to make this game interesting? I've been counting the days until the full release now but I just cant be bothered to start a save if there isn't gonna be a challenge in FM anymore. Besides using a "no CBs" or "no DMs" tactic or anything stupid like that.

Making long term plans doesnt really matter when you are basicallly guaranteed success in the short term, and creating and following those long term goals are what makes FM fun for me, winning everything without even trying simply isnt fun nor challenging.

Edited by zindrinho

34 minutes ago, nully29 said:

It's easy to make game hard though. Just play with any default DEFENSIVE tactics. Like catenaccio or direct counters. It could be a fun challenge: win the title with default catenaccio

This doesn't make sense though. Making it harder involves trying a different tactic but in a way that might make being successful impossible without using the same exploits 

18 hours ago, bobbyb12345 said:

This doesn't make sense though. Making it harder involves trying a different tactic but in a way that might make being successful impossible without using the same exploits 

You can change your tactics as you study match engine. AI cannot. You know that high lines work way better than low lines. AI does not. You can read guides, watch YouTubers and spend hours tweaking your tactics. AI can take one of the default ones and slightly adapt it according to few hardcorded rules (such as lower mentality if playing a high reputation team). There's no way this is an even ground. There's no way for developers to make it challenging game while allowing players to tweak tactics. AI can't even try Catenaccio, realize that it doesn't work and switch to Gegenpress. Gamers will crack match engine no matter what and there's nothing AI can do unless you build a real self learning AI. As things stand, AI doesn't even try to figure out what works in ME.

Edited by nully29

Here we go again.  Let's all make the game much more difficult because Joe Bloggs picks one of the strongest teams in the game and finds the game too easy :rolleyes:.

Just for once we can we NOT make it insanely hard to be successful in this year's game after a couple of patches.  Let players that want an extreme challenge choose a weaker team, while players that struggle at the game can choose the PSGs and the Manchester clubs and have at least some success with the right management.  Sorry but the match engine still looks challenging to me.

If you struggle I would suggest choosing "clean slate" tactic and find a way to use all your best players. I guarantee you will win everything simply by adding PIs during matches, like your CB man marks their lone striker, your wingers follow their FB/WBs if they get too much space.

It doesnt matter which team you choose, any tall CB could mark Lewa and Kane or whoever it would be completely out of the game in FM21. If he should fail to win the challenge for the ball you have another CB behind him to cover.

This is why me and a couple others complain that the game is too easy. We make long plans and dreams about taking a minor club up the divisions, or taking a newly promoted top division team from relegation strugglers, to mid table team and then push on towards European places. 
But what happens is you win european places in your first season, next season you go unbeaten until January, leading the league by a countrymile.
So there's no joy in scrapping that 0-0 against bayern or PSG or whoever anymore, you just expect to win every game 2 seasons in. Dreams fulfilled, now what?

Hi

I'm totally disagree with this argument saying "why you are not getting a lower-division club to make your challenge harder?

as in life, also in football there are different types of challenges. why we have to limit ourselves with this low-profile clubs and their way of struggle/defiance to be able to enjoy the game?

don't we have the rights to ask a hard game with Man Utd or Juventus or even with Bayern within their standards?

i'm not talking about the first seasons which is relatively harder even with these teams. But as you know, the more we play the more game become easy, repetitive

Why we can not have huge difficulties to qualify for European cups or start the season with devastating results or have financial difficulties and so on so on even with these high quality clubs??

Man United are naturally going to be very good in FM. As far as I'm aware, FM can't simulate the fact that Pogba is a defensive liability in a midfield 2. It can't simulate McFred being hopeless as a midfield 2. It can't simulate Shaw and Maguire being idiots when defending.

Playing Pogba and McTominay or Pogba and Fred works in FM. You can have Ronaldo and Greenwood in the same attacking 3 without missing much of the pressing or lack of creativity that we see in real life.

On paper, Man Utd's starting strongest XI can match up to any team in the Premier League, which is reflected in FM.

Edited by Ghost4928

1 hour ago, Ups81 said:

Hi

I'm totally disagree with this argument saying "why you are not getting a lower-division club to make your challenge harder?

as in life, also in football there are different types of challenges. why we have to limit ourselves with this low-profile clubs and their way of struggle/defiance to be able to enjoy the game?

don't we have the rights to ask a hard game with Man Utd or Juventus or even with Bayern within their standards?

i'm not talking about the first seasons which is relatively harder even with these teams. But as you know, the more we play the more game become easy, repetitive

Why we can not have huge difficulties to qualify for European cups or start the season with devastating results or have financial difficulties and so on so on even with these high quality clubs??

Agreed. I guess Barca rebuild shouldn't be a challenge since they are a big team. 

10 hours ago, lckyby said:

FM can do those things. The players you are talking about are just overrated in mental stats like anticipation, decisions, composure, concentration (and the manager's stats obviously) because they are at a big team.

Everyone’s been complaining about Man Utd having overrated players since forever, but until SI changes their match engine or their data team giving them stats they deserve we’ll still see them winning the league 9/10 times in the first season,

Using the in game editor, I change every manager that I face attacking attribute to 20 max. That tend to stop teams from starting the game on defensive and cautious. Teams away would sometimes go from positive or attacking to balance on the road. This also slightly reduce possession and pass% to a more suitable level for underdog teams.

Shame really. But atleast I’m not bullying teams because they rather soak up the pressure with park the bus.

I think a big problem that gets overlooked is the way AI look at games and its use of mentality. 

No data to back this up but I would think that most users start with a tactic that’s either positive or attacking no matter if they are favorites or not. We tend to look at mentalities as risk levels and balance the risk with formation and roles. The AI may not being doing this as effective. So they will go into a sway game with a cautious mentality. If anything, the AI should be starting those type of away games with a balance mentality and then adjust. The game itself even says balance is the best way to start.

Hey

So it seems to me as the final version didn't fix the problems with the beta being way too easy.

Is it just me who got lucky with my tactics (homemade gegenpres) or is everybody just cruising through the seasons with no worries other than rotating your squad a bit now and then?

2 hours ago, myggen07 said:

Hey

So it seems to me as the final version didn't fix the problems with the beta being way too easy.

Is it just me who got lucky with my tactics (homemade gegenpres) or is everybody just cruising through the seasons with no worries other than rotating your squad a bit now and then?

As it’s been in previous FM’s any tactic that’s attacking will score lots of goals. Pressing, even though it have been toned down, it’s somewhat still effective especially if you are getting sucked in. 

The problem is that the user are so much more aggressive in their tactic selection vs the AI that we as users can just bully teams into submission especially if we are already favorites to win the league as the AI will take even more of a low risk approach.

37 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

The problem is that the user are so much more aggressive in their tactic selection vs the AI that we as users can just bully teams into submission especially if we are already favorites to win the league as the AI will take even more of a low risk approach.

Much of this could (probably) be solved by the AI rather easily if he was better at using PIs and changing what doesnt work for him in matches.

A defensive setup with an attacking outlet works great for me against bigger sides, so its very much possible for the AI manager as well. The problem now is that its so easy to just man mark his attacking outlet out of the game and put pressure on his ball-recycling DM, and he doesnt switch things up at all so you can just keep on pouncing on him. 
The least he could do is try to find another outlet, drop his striker down or even choose the other winger, or even change wingers between themselves for a good reason rather than just for fun as it seems he was doing in previous FMs. Cant really comment on FM22 yet tho.

Won Serie A with 100 points first season with Fiorentina.  Won away at Juventus, Milan and Inter by just playing on positive mentality. No plug in tactics, just my own variant of the 3-5-2. My two losses were games I had a player sent off in (away to Lazio and Sassoulo). 

On 09/11/2021 at 16:45, nully29 said:

It's easy to make game hard though. Just play with any default DEFENSIVE tactics. Like catenaccio or direct counters. It could be a fun challenge: win the title with default catenaccio

Agree with the sentiment of this. Its a single player game so there is no need to play with meta tactics or set pieces as there are no other User controlled teams playing the meta. A select few of my friends play FM. I've been playing for 2 decades so it is naturally easier for me but my friends haven't. Its almost always the same person doing badly and the same person doing well each year. I don't think its easy by definition, I just think on the whole, we know how to do well :lol: 

Playing with different tactics, or purposely stifling yourself (like the youth academy challenge) to "increase the difficulty" is a valid approach. I for instance don't use the Player Search tool and rely on my scout reports/DoF Suggestions only, when I'm finding players to sign. A small thing but its adds a layer of difficulty to this part of the game

Game is as easiest as it could be, there is no chance of not succeeding. There is no challenge. You just press continue with a preset tactic of the gamestyles and just faceroll everyone. I already stopped my save cause of getting bored of winning everything at 1st season, waiting for an update to make the difficulty challenging. And hoping it comes this month (fingers crossed).

31 minutes ago, BrightLad5 said:

Playing with different tactics, or purposely stifling yourself (like the youth academy challenge) to "increase the difficulty" is a valid approach. I for instance don't use the Player Search tool and rely on my scout reports/DoF Suggestions only, when I'm finding players to sign. A small thing but its adds a layer of difficulty to this part of the game

Likewise & agree, the small things layered up can definitely change the overall experience & difficulty.  

Not using the Player/Staff Search and instead Scouting & Job Centre, Recruitment locality, Realistic Coaching Badges/Experience/Friendlies, Disable First Transfer Window, Not choosing a club with excessive Reputation or Attendances in current division etc. enjoy embracing the struggle a lot more these days and tend to follow YouTube creators with a similar ethos.

40 minutes ago, Xrisqio said:

Game is as easiest as it could be, there is no chance of not succeeding. There is no challenge. You just press continue with a preset tactic of the gamestyles and just faceroll everyone. I already stopped my save cause of getting bored of winning everything at 1st season, waiting for an update to make the difficulty challenging. And hoping it comes this month (fingers crossed).

If you have the in game editor, I would suggest to edit your opponents manager under staff details to have 20 attacking. Atleast now your opponent will be somewhat competitive lol.

5 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

If you have the in game editor, I would suggest to edit your opponents manager under staff details to have 20 attacking. Atleast now your opponent will be somewhat competitive lol.

i don't even search players, i just take from the scouting center and i play a simple 4-3-3 that i always liked. no weird roles, no ready tactics, no weird PI. Just face the truth, the game is easy. If you had to do that to face some challenge then what is the point? Don't be like that. If you check the forums, so many players are talking about that.

1 minute ago, Xrisqio said:

i don't even search players, i just take from the scouting center and i play a simple 4-3-3 that i always liked. no weird roles, no ready tactics, no weird PI. Just face the truth, the game is easy. If you had to do that to face some challenge then what is the point? Don't be like that. If you check the forums, so many players are talking about that.

I know what you mean. You could consider me one of the vocal bunch of the FM is too easy brigade.

47 minutes ago, Xrisqio said:

They better not.  I'm finding it very difficult to win.  The whole team falls out with me very easily then don't try on the pitch.  And I'm using any method I can to win other than save and reload which I will probably have to do quite soon or it'll be the sack.  

9 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

So maybe if I change the manager's attacking to '1' I might be able to actually scrape a win in this very difficult game?