Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

1 minute ago, AK22 said:

This really. People will have own their reasons to justify queuing for any particular event. The Mona Lisa is a particularly good example.

Anyway, hello from The Queue. We started about 11.20pm so have just hit 11 hours and we still have another 30-60 minutes to go. The closing of the hall for an hour at 4am to clean up was a real sucker punch and caused the queue to grind to a standstill right at the coldest part of the night. 

Go round again when you're through :thup:

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I can't think of anything at the end of a queue that would make that length of time worth it. Hope it wasn't too bad.

24 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I can't think of anything at the end of a queue that would make that length of time worth it. Hope it wasn't too bad.

The relief of needing a **** in a club and having to queue is usually worth it. 11 hours must be amazing 

Edited by Barry Cartman

1 hour ago, Gricehead said:

Don't ever go to Disney World.

Paris or Florida?

Went Florida a few times as a kid, we had fast queue passes thanks to a few relatives, good times.

1 hour ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Once in a lifetime moment in history.

Ah, true, guess it is what you weigh it up to be.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Rarely agree with BG on these matters, but I think he’s right to say it’s been purposely organised.

Could it have been done better?

• Administrators
Just now, Rafalution said:

What's been purposely organised?

The queue, as a display of Britishness. I'm guessing.

I think the queueing thing is mad personally. But when you expect to have a million people overall, you absolutely need to get it right, not just for the people in it, bit for the rest of London carrying on around it. 

As for the pomp and ceremony, this has always been the case, and has always been the plan. It's what happens in a State Funeral 

13 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Of course it has been purposely organised. This is literally the traditional plan, just updated for modern day. It's not a conspiracy 

And yes, the pomp and ceremony of the royal family does look good on TV around the world, that's literally one of the things they have always been good at.

16 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Of course it has been purposely organised. This is literally the traditional plan, just updated for modern day. It's not a conspiracy 

I definitely agree with what you are saying but the argument would be it doesn't reflect modern day enough.  Which probably leads to a wider discussion around whether the royal family have really moved with the times.  It will be really interesting to see if Charles looks to change that and if William will now have a bit more influence on things.

5 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

In what way could it be more modern? Personally I think it all looks amazing (although London is a little bit mad at the moment).

I just think there was so much going on after she died.  Charles was here, there and everywhere in the days following her death.  I understand that is the protocol but it has been a very long, drawn out process.  Everything being cancelled and shut doesn't make sense to me either but that isn't the fault of the royal family.

5 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

What are they going to do when it's time to shut up shop and there's still thousands queueing? Say tough **** and send in the beefeater?

They'll calculate when the back of the queue will arrive just before closing time, then stop anyone else joining. That's what they did in Edinburgh anyway

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62922758

A Chinese government delegation has been banned from attending the lying-in-state of Queen Elizabeth II, the BBC understands.

House of Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle is understood to have refused a request for access to Westminster Hall over Chinese sanctions against five MPs and two peers.

2 minutes ago, Loki679 said:

You're all batshit mental.  Someone said they'd join the queue if it got down to 1.5 MILES and that passed as a normal comment.

Fruitloop of a country.

It's worse when you're in the country and it's all being passed off as normal. 

Edited by bermybhoy

4 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Some Tories have been kicking off about the Chinese, for the last couple of days. Was mentioned on LBC, last night.

A letter has gone to the foreign secretary protesting China’s invite to the funeral. It’s signed by a cross party group, including a Labour peer. I mean, it literally takes two minutes to find this stuff.

2 hours ago, AK22 said:

This really. People will have own their reasons to justify queuing for any particular event. The Mona Lisa is a particularly good example.

Anyway, hello from The Queue. We started about 11.20pm so have just hit 11 hours and we still have another 30-60 minutes to go. The closing of the hall for an hour at 4am to clean up was a real sucker punch and caused the queue to grind to a standstill right at the coldest part of the night. 

Best of luck hah, dedication nevertheless.

Wouldnt queue for the Mona Lisa either in all fairness. :D

39 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

A letter has gone to the foreign secretary protesting China’s invite to the funeral. It’s signed by a cross party group, including a Labour peer. I mean, it literally takes two minutes to find this stuff.

Exactly. This all stems from the M15 exposure of Christine Lee as a Chinese spy. She did a lot of work on the China APPG and was then condemned across the parties and across the Houses - no Tory conspiracy here.