Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

10 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Christ on a bike, that's tacky.

Also a bit odd that most of those are active British sports stars, and yet the most relevant footballer they can come up with is David Beckham. :D

It's a basketball site, Deng/Anunoby are the best they could come up with.

Equivalent of having Jonjo Shelvey and Phil Jones. :D

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Honestly, I get being respectful and stuff but the way it's being shoved in my face is a bit much. Can totally get why people overreact and go a little bit too far the other way.

Might be worth you going for a fortnights holiday where electricity and Wi-Fi signals not available, also not being on this thread would help you if you are suffering from HM overkill already.

19 minutes ago, Lermon said:

Royal Mail strikes are called off. Postman are pissed, they had a day off tomorrow they now have to rearrange. 

Well, they'll get a couple of extra ones to make up for that. No point going on strike if the countries having a day off as well. And they've got a **** load of new stamps to print and Post boxes to build now.

5 minutes ago, HOORAY HENRIK said:

I was at the game where we had a mins silence for the Queen Mother on the day we won the league. That went well.

made me check and realise that's already 2 decades ago (if google is trustworthy)

2 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

Well, they'll get a couple of extra ones to make up for that. No point going on strike if the countries having a day off as well. And they've got a **** load of new stamps to print and Post boxes to build now.

what about the condolences cards then :/

seriously though there's a time and place for everything

plus their strike wouldn't get any (media) attention anyway

Edited by buffalo

30 minutes ago, anagain said:

I'm being subdued, but I thought this was quite funny

She's completely ruined that joke, hasn't she? Charles isn't the Prince of Wales anymore and wouldn't be on a coin if he was.

Bet the Royal Mint workers are chuffed, only just got out the new £20 and £50 notes out and have to design another load of notes and coins, will they even bother with 1p and 2ps?

34 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Several sports held a meeting on Thursday to discuss plans, with one observer saying part of the talks centred on whether to have a one or two day pause to mark the Queen’s death. Another person present said they believed sport would resume on Saturday, although they indicated that all would be mindful of the public mood over the next 24 hours.

Has she got any horses racing this week? 

3 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

She's completely ruined that joke, hasn't she? Charles isn't the Prince of Wales anymore and wouldn't be on a coin if he was.

Bet the Royal Mint workers are chuffed, only just got out the new £20 and £50 notes out and have to design another load of notes and coins, will they even bother with 1p and 2ps?

I think it's a make do joke...rather like I'd use Paint to do a quick but crappy pic to show people something...she stuck Charles' ears on any old coin :)

1 hour ago, leftback in the changing room said:

Have they announced whether all you can eat breakfast places won't be opening? I'm going to one on Saturday but I don't know if a triple sausage, triple bacon sandwich is disrespectful.

As an aside on this one, I meant to say earlier.....

The food van around the corner from me does fantastic breakfast rolls/baps/Insert local phrase here. The Sausage & Bacon rolls are absolutely perfect. I rarely go there as I can't really go on my WFH days, because it's just far enough away that it's a pain to just "pop to" during my work day. I only go on Saturdays or when I am off in the week. I've often really really craved one too.

However, I went there last week during my week off and discovered they've now gone onto Just Eat. Not only that, but they've only been on a month or two and they're already seeing £300 a week upturn in their takings. The last time i spoke to him he was concerned he'd have to cut back his days or maybe even close completely as he's just not seen the traffic he used to see any more.

I haven't ordered via Just Eat yet, but absolutely will soon, Was going to do it tomorrow, but have to go into the office to support somebody now. But yes, I am rather happy with that.

6 minutes ago, Bootador said:

Anyone for some radi...oh

image.png.12a7b79d905c0ece1772df449718d6dc.png

BBC have been hosting a podcast by Hayley Williams for last few months with tomorrow being the last episode, with heavy rumours that it would finally showcase some new music from Paramore before they tour again next month and now they probably won't be publishing it ffs

10 minutes ago, Bootador said:

Anyone for some radi...oh

image.png.12a7b79d905c0ece1772df449718d6dc.png

BBC1, BBC2, BBC News 24 and BBC Scotland News specials. BBC3 and BBC 4 switched off, even ''Thats TV'' where I found repeats of Alf Garnett on has switched off.

Now if they take the footy off this weekend then they will have gone too far, sometimes people need a break from grief pushed on to them.

24 Hour news channels have a lot to answer for I swear many are just doing it encase they miss a bit of news, and they see it on a rival channel  

2 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

BBC1, BBC2, BBC News 24 and BBC Scotland News specials. BBC3 and BBC 4 switched off, even ''Thats TV'' where I found repeats of Alf Garnett on has switched off.

Now if they take the footy off this weekend then they will have gone too far, sometimes people need a break from grief pushed on to them.

24 Hour news channels have a lot to answer for I swear many are just doing it encase they miss a bit of news, and they see it on a rival channel  

these 24hrs channels really stretch(ed) the definition of "News" tbh

Just now, SouthCoastRed said:

The FA and EFL will feel they have to make a mark of respect. They were all off when Diana died as well

Yes, I remember that well as it was a Sunday and the TV games were called off which everyone was gutted about. I fully expect no sport on this weekend, just a bit gutting but understandable of course.

Just now, Lucas said:

Even the BBC Sport pages are full of tribute. There is no escape from the news.

Must admit I understand the BBC have to show the news on every channel (that's not their choice to make)  but all the sports channels and web pages is a bit over the top. I understand weekend postponements too, but again, it's a bit over the top, especially this year where fixtures are rammed in anyway