Match 51 THE FINAL: Italy vs England - 8pm Sunday BBC1 AND ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right now I'm more stressed about whether I go to the pub or not than the game itself.

Thinking of chancing it with a walk-ins-only place but when? Get there too early and there's a reasonable probability I drink too much and can't remember the match, get there too late and I won't be able to get a table and will have to turn around and watch it at home (which probably isn't a bad thing, but I'd rather watch it out).

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, titchuk said:

Right now I'm more stressed about whether I go to the pub or not than the game itself.

Thinking of chancing it with a walk-ins-only place but when? Get there too early and there's a reasonable probability I drink too much and can't remember the match, get there too late and I won't be able to get a table and will have to turn around and watch it at home (which probably isn't a bad thing, but I'd rather watch it out).

Go early. Leave watching it at home for the anti-England people like myself :D

Or at least invite friends round to your house. 

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Go early. Leave watching it at home for the anti-England people like myself :D

Or at least invite friends round to your house. 

Oh yeah sorry I should have clarified I'll be watching it with others either way!

12 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Do you think Germany consider this tournament a mild failure, complete utter failure or par for the course? 

This isn't a troll. And not really aimed at you. Just curious generally. Open to everyone

Going out in the round of 16 is a failure, but the bar for complete utter failure had been set in 2018 with the group stage exit. Any tournament we don't make the semi-finals is considered sub-par. However, we were just 10 minutes away from a repeat complete utter failure, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how Germany were just sitting back in the final ten minutes against Hungary instead of trying to win the group, which was there for the taking. Hungary desperately needed to score and was wide open but the German team refused to follow through on the counter attack and instead took the ball to the corner flag whenever they could. They really liked this side of the bracket better and thought they'd beat England and coast to the final. They were pretty smug about it, too. So while England is a team you can lose against without shame, the fact that they wanted that match-up instead of trying to win the group and play Switzerland in the other half makes this a failure in my eyes.

5 minutes ago, teodoro said:

Without the referee's help with Denmark (non-existent penalty), England would already be out
It is a huge shame that the final will be played at Wembley and not in a neutral venue.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, RTHerringbone said:

Today is the day 😬🤢🥵🥴🤯🥺😳

It's very strange, I've spent years hoping today would happen and where I've been so focused on my mum this week, now when history is being made, it's almost passed me by in a strange way.

I’m excited, no nerves at all. I’ve been convinced we’re winning since the group stage so I’m not going to stumble now. Italy aren’t the sort of team that will let us dominate like the past few rounds have but we’ll get through them eventually. Probably won’t be pretty because I’m expecting them to go full Italian but we’ll do it in the end.

1 hour ago, SouthCoastRed said:

It's very strange, I've spent years hoping today would happen and where I've been so focused on my mum this week, now when history is being made, it's almost passed me by in a strange way.

But that's useful context. It's just a football match and keeping an eye on your mum is far more important. I hope she's doing well.

1 minute ago, RTHerringbone said:

But that's useful context. It's just a football match and keeping an eye on your mum is far more important. I hope she's doing well.

Cheers, she's far from good, but she's making a tiny bit of progress, biggest problem is if she's needs the toilet at half time, the second half will be nearly over before we're finished.

But your right, perspective etc, like Weezer, Haguey, Rob etc ive been quietly confident all the way so I'm totally behind the boys tonight and if they have to do it without me actually screaming at the tv that's possibly a good thing :D

1 ora fa, Wiggins Top Boys ha scritto:

Been hearing the Italians have requested the longer version of their national anthem today as it will be harder to consistently boo throughout. Gamesmanship.

There is no longer version of our anthem.

7 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Feels like something Sam Matterface will say on commentary tonight

Philosophy. If Sam Matterface commentates when the game is also on BBC1, does he make a sound? One of the great conundrums of our age.

Haha, you lot feel like I did in 1978, 1988 and 2010 ^^ :kriss: (Was too young for 1974 though)

Enjoy it for all it's worth! These moments are far too seldom in the life of a football fan. But then, that's what makes it so special. You will remember this day for the rest of your lives. 

(Captain Jack Sparrow would add 'the day you almost...' ;))

Good luck! (Also to the fans of the Azzurri of course). 

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

Philosophy. If Sam Matterface commentates when the game is also on BBC1, does he make a sound? One of the great conundrums of our age.

He makes lots of sounds, just none of it is coherent 

12 minutes ago, DJ said:

Haha, you lot feel like I did in 1978, 1988 and 2010 ^^ :kriss: (Was too young for 1974 though)

Enjoy it for all it's worth! These moments are far too seldom in the life of a football fan. But then, that's what makes it so special. You will remember this day for the rest of your lives. 

(Captain Jack Sparrow would add 'the day you almost...' ;))

Good luck! (Also to the fans of the Azzurri of course). 

You seen the Dutch and Ajax sides of the '70s? Man, you've been spoiled. It's a pity you'd have been too young for the trio of European Cups. 

Just now, Tikka Mezzala said:

You seen the Dutch and Ajax sides of the '70s? Man, you've been spoiled. It's a pity you'd have been too young for the trio of European Cups. 

Yeah, I'm from 66. Just a bit too young to enjoy it all but not too young to grow up with the belief (well, fact really ;) ) that Ajax are the bestest team in the whole wide world. Well, you know how goes ^^ The club chooses you, not the other way around. 

5 minutes ago, DJ said:

Yeah, I'm from 66. Just a bit too young to enjoy it all but not too young to grow up with the belief (well, fact really ;) ) that Ajax are the bestest team in the whole wide world. Well, you know how goes ^^ The club chooses you, not the other way around. 

I've got a lot of respect for Ajax. They've given so much to football. The amazing passing football they've made an identity. All going back to the Glasgow style of Queens Park of course :D