Round 16: Spain v Russia

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

Yes but I think that's maybe linked to the decline in midfield. Xavi/Alonso/Busquets midfield three was WAAAY better at controlling the ball than this midfield. That was their defence.

Puyol >>>> Ramos at CB as well.

It's weird to think of the possibility that yet another "favourite" crashes out by the first knockout stage. Argentina and Portugal yesterday, potentially Spain today, Germany in the group stage. That'll make Brazil, Belgium and France the only teams inside the FIFA World Rankings Top 10 (of October 2017, when the draw was made) still in the tournament by the close of play tonight, if Russia beats Spain. Even then no guarantee Brazil and Belgium will win on Monday. Germany (#1) went out in the group stage, Portugal (#3) went out yesterday, as did Argentina (#4). Poland (#6) also finished bottom of their group like Peru (#10). Chile (#9) didn't qualify.

2 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

True. People talk about what a leader he is but Ramos' leadership was nothing on Puyol (or Iker for that matter). They were real leaders.

Not a coincidence that they've done bugger all at tournaments since he retired.

Just now, skybluedave said:

This feels like proper early 2000's Spain. All the talent but something just not clicking. 

Also less exciting. They're basically trying to play like their "glory years" with a much worse team.

They built around Barcelona players and then played a Barcelona style - it worked. Now they're built around Madrid...surely play a more Madrid type style?

BBC commentator hasn't done the proper research. :herman:

Both teams get a 4th sub when it goes into extra time, the player with cramp will be subbed. ITV (I think) yesterday knew that.

Also less exciting. They're basically trying to play like their "glory years" with a much worse team.

They built around Barcelona players and then played a Barcelona style - it worked. Now they're built around Madrid...surely play a more Madrid type style?

The problem there is that this Spain side is built around Real Madrid players, but that side is built around a Portuguese player.

1 minute ago, git2thachoppa said:

BBC commentator hasn't done the proper research. :herman:

Both teams get a 4th sub when it goes into extra time, the player with cramp will be subbed. ITV (I think) yesterday knew that.

The BBC commentary team seems a bit clueless on the new rules in this World Cup. They spent about half an hour convinced that Japan were going out after Colombia took the lead against Senegal the other day before someone pointed out the Fair Play rule.

1 minute ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I think Spain will probably win this in extra-time just off the back of Russia's older squad being knackered, but they'll surely go out to Croatia if they get through. 

I'm sure the Russians will have a energy boost before they come back out.

giphy.gif

:brock:

That's like saying Barcelona were built around an Argentine. True to an extent but there's still a lot of Spanish blood.

Yeah but I wouldn't say the Barca team of 2010 was as reliant on Messi as 2018 Madrid is on Ronaldo.

1 minute ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

Last min of added time and they pass around midfield, utterly pathetic

That's because they've took off the only player that knows what to do when a ball is lumped up to him

Just now, Heartwork said:

Yeah but I wouldn't say the Barca team of 2010 was as reliant on Messi as 2018 Madrid is on Ronaldo.

That's nonsense. If you wanted to make an argument against playing a Madrid side you'd need to mention a Croatian. Cristiano doesn't dictate the style, he just adds the final touch.

Just now, Heartwork said:

Ronaldo is a poacher for Madrid. He get's in the box and causes problems for defenders, he doesn't really contribute a great deal in the build up. I'm sure Costa could replicate that to a degree, even if he isn't quite the same threat in the air.

4 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

That's nonsense. If you wanted to make an argument against playing a Madrid side you'd need to mention a Croatian. Cristiano doesn't dictate the style, he just adds the final touch.

Well then the argument is that the current Madrid side's stand out players aren't Spanish. Barca was driven by Iniesta/Xavi/Puyol with Bojan David Villa and Pedro chipping in a significant amount of goals. The main figure in Madrid's midfield is Modric, while their attackers are primarily Ronaldo/Benzema/Bale.

1 minute ago, Heartwork said:

Well then the argument is that the current Madrid side's stand out players aren't Spanish. Barca was driven by Iniesta/Xavi/Puyol with Bojan David Villa and Pedro chipping in a significant amount of goals.

True but it's still a Spain squad dominated by Madrid players. More importantly...one dominated by players not used to this style - and it shows.

Archived