Round 16: Spain v Russia

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spain look slow and sluggish.

I'm interested on the kms covered statistic again. A cynic would say the Russians are indeed on whatever the Spaniards were on around 2008-2012...

11 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Pissess me off how Spain waste a talent like Asensio because they want to pass it around walking pace on the half way line. Hope the boring ***** go out.

It's crazy really when you consider these days how few of the Spain team is from the Barca school and used to playing more pragmatic football with their club sides that they still revert to this negative possession football for the national team.

I mean really only Busquets and Silva of the front 6 you'd expect to naturally play like this.

18 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Spain look slow and sluggish.

I'm interested on the kms covered statistic again. A cynic would say the Russians are indeed on whatever the Spaniards were on around 2008-2012...

I'd be interested in seeing those this game as well. 

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Has to be Silva off for Iniesta in my view. Asensio has been quiet but can at least score out of nothing. 

Hierro has been far too defensive so far this tournament. Aspas another option.

*accidentally hid a similar post in case you can see two similar ones*

Not sure they need a 2nd deep CM in Koke either, could bring in Thiago or Saul for him and give them more license to get forward. Or even have Iniesta for Koke and replace Silva with Aspas or Rodrigo.

Just now, G-Man11 said:

Not sure they need a 2nd deep CM in Koke either, could bring in Thiago or Saul for him and give them more license to get forward. Or even have Iniesta for Koke and replace Silva with Aspas or Rodrigo.

Yeah agree. Even looking at Nacho it was another defensive pick there too.

I have no knowledge of Hierro as a coach before this tournament but he has been crazily cautious at every chance possible so far.

Yeah Nacho really should be a useful backup who can cover all across the defence and not a starter in this Spain side. Odriozola would offer far more if Carvajal still isn't fit.

Just woeful stuff, all playing with real fear. It's as if once they put on the Spain shirt they are terrified of what will happen to them if they ever give the ball away.

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

Vissel Kobe, in Japan. He announced it some time ago.

same team as Lukas Podolski as well :cool:

Russia need to lead for this game to become more interesting, it's just walking pace at the moment

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

Another good sub but begs the question of why Hierro thought the line-up he picked was a good one.

That's what happens when you sack your manager right before the start of the tournament and replace him with a guy with (almost) no management experiance :thup: 

Just now, ArsenalFan7 said:

Not sure Russia can survive ET, feels like Spain are going to **** their way to the final and then get thumped by a France/Brazil/Germany.

I highly doubt Germany will be thumping them, to be honest. :D

Just now, ArsenalFan7 said:

Not sure Russia can survive ET, feels like Spain are going to **** their way to the final and then get thumped by a France/Brazil/Germany.

It's good to see that poeple still believe in Die Nationalelf :D :thup: 

Biggest difference between Spain now and at their peak is that they struggle to break down teams with everyone behind the ball.

Eight years ago this would be a nailed on 1-0 win. Comfortable, maybe boring, but they'd win.

Now you're not sure because they can't create chances and teams aren't as fearful.

I think, if they get through, they'll have a better time against Croatia, who won't play like Russia or Iran

these changes Hierro has made are just dumb, you dont need Koke AND Busquets out there, you probably dont need 4 in defence either, you certainly dont need both of those things together, yet he takes off a striker starved of service as his final change?

Just now, Astafjevs said:

Biggest difference between Spain now and at their peak is that they struggle to break down teams with everyone behind the ball.

Eight years ago this would be a nailed on 1-0 win. Comfortable, maybe boring, but they'd win.

Now you're not sure because they can't create chances and teams aren't as fearful.

I think, if they get through, they'll have a better time against Croatia, who won't play like Russia or Iran

Not really seen it in this game but they are also a lot more dodgy at the back as well, very hard to seem them 1-0ing games. Even Morocco and Iran caused them all sorts of problems defensively.

Just now, G-Man11 said:

Not really seen it in this game but they are also a lot more dodgy at the back as well, very hard to seem them 1-0ing games. Even Morocco and Iran caused them all sorts of problems defensively.

Yes but I think that's maybe linked to the decline in midfield. Xavi/Alonso/Busquets midfield three was WAAAY better at controlling the ball than this midfield. That was their defence.

1 minute ago, cms186 said:

these changes Hierro has made are just dumb, you dont need Koke AND Busquets out there, you probably dont need 4 in defence either, you certainly dont need both of those things together, yet he takes off a striker starved of service as his final change?

It's a shame because Lopeetegui had really been working on 3 at the back for Spain for a while now as a an alternative in these sort of matches and then that just went out the window when he was fired.

Archived