Pre-World Cup friendlies

PMLF

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

We need an England fan giddyometer. Off the scale judging by posts in here about a friendly with Costa Rica

It's always at 100 before a major tourny. ;)

1 minute ago, ryan045 said:

Really rating Rashfords performance tonight. He has to start at the WC. Alli or Lingard drops out, take your pick.

I think Alli should be dropped. Lingard and Rashford are in form,

It's pretty obvious Rashford is competing with Sterling. And he's not going to win that battle off the back of a game against a weak team.

Youll see the two strikers if they're chasing a game. Otherwise it's three midfielders in there

Love all the British sounding names in the Costa Rica squad. Ian Smith, Joel Campbell, who both played tonight, Patrick Pemberton, Rodney Wallace.

Even Kendall Jamaal Waston, thats not a very Central- American sounding name either. You'd expect them to have Spanish names.

Was there a big mining industry in Costa Rica? When all the tin ran out in Cornwall a lot of the miners went to Central and South America, USA, Australia even South Africa I think, so there could be an ancetral connection.

10 hours ago, av3ry said:

Love all the British sounding names in the Costa Rica squad. Ian Smith, Joel Campbell, who both played tonight, Patrick Pemberton, Rodney Wallace.

Even Kendall Jamaal Waston, thats not a very Central- American sounding name either. You'd expect them to have Spanish names.

Was there a big mining industry in Costa Rica? When all the tin ran out in Cornwall a lot of the miners went to Central and South America, USA, Australia even South Africa I think, so there could be an ancetral connection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Costa_Rica#Britons

After the independence of Costa Rica (1821), the Costa Rican government encouraged foreign immigration to strengthen the workforce. The new arrivals came mainly from Central Europe and North America, although Germans, Britons and Americans also arrived, the latter two known collectively as Anglos. Britain was the first to notice the potential that Costa Rica had to offer from coffee production; over time, agricultural areas of the Caribbean and northern Costa Rica were under British control, especially the coffee farms. Afterwards the Britons brought in Italians for construction of the railroad of Altiplano. Most of the agriculturally productive areas were held by the British.[12]

According to the census of 2012, there are about 5,200 Britons in Costa Rica, forming the second-largest European community after the Spaniards.

Coffee rather than tin it seems

4 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

2-1 now. Are Saudi Arabia not that bad any more then? I just think 2002 when I see them. Have they improved?

They could score the 2-2 right at the end with a clear chance but were denied by what was probably a penalty by Hummels.

13 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

2-1 now. Are Saudi Arabia not that bad any more then? I just think 2002 when I see them. Have they improved?

They're better than 2002. But then I think most minnows from that period (the ones that have stuck at and qualified for a competition or two since) have improved. 

That said, they're still a garbage team. We played them a week or so ago and they were pretty ****. Their goal came from Zappacosta being crap and giving them ball 

2 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Germany being rubbish is pretty much par for the course before they get to the semi finals. Wonder if they'll have stopped booing Gundongan by then

Not likely. That's what you get for endorsing authoritarians. Oezil will get his share too.

Takes from Croatia-Senegal game:

Senegal doesn't look like your typical African NT at all. They're deadly on the counter attack and very disciplined in defensive phase.
Started with Niang-Sakho-Mane. I think Keita should get the starting place of Niang.

Croatia was subpar, no real flow in the offense or any coherent offensive actions.
Two fairly lucky goals from deflections, but still, great teams win even when they play badly.

Overall, I think that Senegal has a great  chance to get out of their fairly weak group.

Germany always turn it on at World Cups, but I do have a feeling this will be a dud World Cup for them and one people look back on and say “they needed fresh ideas”.

They looked dead on their feet with 10 to go which really shocked me. Get involved in a physical open game, they could be right in the ****. Boateng/Hummels need to suddenly switch it on too. Both looked slow and playing a zig zag high line is a recipe for disaster against competent sides. Saudi got through multiple times and they’re ****.

20 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Germany always turn it on at World Cups, but I do have a feeling this will be a dud World Cup for them and one people look back on and say “they needed fresh ideas”.

Bookmarked for when England get them in the quarters and lose 4-0.

7 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

Holders often struggle, so I won't be surprised if that happens with Germany too.

But a bad World Cup for them probably means semis or so.

We play against Bolivia in our second and last friendly match. If those pre-match reports don't lie, Krstajic is going with our perhaps strongest XI 

Serbia XI vs Bolivia: Stojkovic, Ivanovic, Milenkovic, Tosic, Kolarov, Matic, Milinkovic-Savic, Tadic, Kostic, Ljajic, Mitrovic

Archived