Pre-World Cup friendlies

PMLF

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slowly starting to realise I actually really dislike Brazil. People fawning over them wherever they go and the global tour stuff and the hot women and the yellow shirts and the samba bull ****. Such a cliche. These aren’t that good. Serbia and Switzerland could have them I reckon.

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Slowly starting to realise I actually really dislike Brazil. People fawning over them wherever they go and the global tour stuff and the hot women and the yellow shirts and the samba bull ****. Such a cliche. These aren’t that good. Serbia and Switzerland could have them I reckon.

All of those things are silly clichés, but Brazil are very solid. I think we will go far but won't win the title. 

48 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

French league defending that...

Oh wait, nope it's because he's actually an insanely talented player.

Unfortunately people often judge a player based on his club or league, rather than based on how good a player actually is.

A player can still be a great player even if playing in a league that is not rated high, and a player can still be bad even if he plays in a top league.

3 hours ago, av3ry said:

Corluka still plays football? Wasnt he mid-30s when he laft the Premier League ages ago? Or is this a different Corluka?

Spain Switzerland on Sky tonight. Nice random game to put on. I might watch it.

Interestingly, Liverpool TV have Brazil vs Croatia and Man United TV have Belgium vs Egypt on Wednesday.

Whats with all these random games on random channels in the UK?

MUTV do show international games, have done for a while. 

3 minutes ago, Nordan said:

Out of the blue the Swiss decide to score, 1-1.

Worrying for Brazil is they can avoid defeat against Spain.

3 minutes ago, Constantine said:

They've got a lucky break, a deflection after De Hea's save and a tap in for Rodriguez. Barely played anything. 

They still only conceded once though.

But of course this is just a friendly, so may not mean much anyway.

In other news. Paolo Guerrero scored twice in Peru's 3-0 win vs Saudi Arabia.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-palestinians-messi/soccer-fans-should-burn-messi-shirts-if-he-plays-in-jerusalem-palestinian-idUSKCN1IZ0VM?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5b14661904d30115158f64ce&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

RAMALLAH, West Bank (Reuters) - The Palestine Football Association chief urged fans on Sunday to burn pictures of Argentina striker Lionel Messi and replicas of his shirt if he plays against Israel in Jerusalem next weekend.

Twice world champions Argentina will play at Jerusalem’s Teddy Kollek Stadium on Saturday night in a World Cup warm-up match that has attracted huge interest among the Israeli fans, mainly because of Messi’s planned participation.

But the Palestinians are not happy that the match will be held in Jerusalem and Palestinian FA chief Jibril Rajoub wrote to Claudio Tapia, the head of the Argentinian FA, last week accusing Israel of using the match as a “political tool”.

The stadium that will host the match is in west Jerusalem. The Palestinians want the eastern part of the city as the capital of a future state that will include the Gaza Strip and the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

However, the status of the city generally is highly sensitive. The match was originally slated to be played in Haifa but Israeli authorities contributed funding for it to be moved to Jerusalem, irking Palestinians further following U.S. President Donald Trump’s recognition of the city as Israel’s capital. The U.S. embassy was moved there last month.

“The Israeli government has turned a regular sports match into a political tool. As was widely covered in Argentinian media, the match now is being played in order to celebrate the ‘70th anniversary of the State of Israel’,” part of Rajoub’s letter said.

On Sunday, Rajoub declared a campaign against Argentina and particularly Messi, noting he has millions of fans across the Arab and Islamic world, Asia and Africa.

“He’s a big symbol so we are going to target him personally and we call on all to burn his picture and his shirt and to abandon him. We still hope that Messi will not come,” he told reporters after leaving the Argentinian representative office in the West Bank town of Ramallah.

A small group of youths wearing Palestine soccer scarves demonstrated outside the representation office and attempted to set fire to an Argentinian flag.

Rajoub has long tried to get soccer’s world governing body, FIFA, and the International Olympic Committee to impose sanctions against Israel. This is mainly because of the Israeli government’s settlements policy in the West Bank and because it has imposed travel restrictions on Palestinian athletes citing security concerns. Those bodies have not heeded his calls.

Argentina have made four previous pre-World Cup stopovers in Israel since 1986. The team has been drawn in World Cup Group D and will open its campaign against Iceland in Moscow on June 16.

Most countries do not recognize either Israel’s or the Palestinians’ sovereignty in Jerusalem and have embassies to Israel in the Tel Aviv area. However, Guatemala and Honduras followed the U.S. lead in moving their embassies last month.

I assume Czechs were supposed to be Croatia in that case. Brazil was Argentina against us and we play Senegal next who I suppose is likely to be Nigeria. How is this still a thing? :D 

3 minutes ago, kpain16 said:

I assume Czechs were supposed to be Croatia in that case. Brazil was Argentina against us and we play Senegal next who I suppose is likely to be Nigeria. How is this still a thing? :D 

Yes, same logic why Brazil played/play against Croatia (supposed to be like Serbia) and Austria (similar to Switzerland).

Nigeria was Tunisia at the weekend and tomorrow night Costa Rica will be Panama :D

Belgium play Egypt who are going to be Tunisia tonight, I dont know who Belgium are supposed to be.

2 minutes ago, kpain16 said:

My point is they are not similar. We are nothing like Serbia or Czech Republic.

I know this. :) My point was when they are similar, something like playing Norway if you're up against Scotland/Ireland would make some sense.

4 minutes ago, av3ry said:

Nigeria was Tunisia at the weekend and tomorrow night Costa Rica will be Panama :D

Belgium play Egypt who are going to be Tunisia tonight, I dont know who Belgium are supposed to be.

Uruguay? :)

15 minutes ago, Nordan said:

Belgium 2-0 Egypt HT

Lukaku and Hazard.

Egypt probably going to be Africa's biggest disappointment this World Cup.

2 minutes ago, Nordan said:

Would be nice with a positive African surprise.

I would like to see one of them reaching the semis, but I am afraid won't happen any time soon.

What's a disappontment for them?

Egypt is in the group with the hosts and Uruguay.
They've been unconvincing and are a one-man team, but Russia isn't that good and they could maybe go through.

Morocco is in the group with Spain and Portugal.
No chance.

Nigeria is in the strongest group of the tournament.
Considering the thins happening to Argentina and Croatia, they could have a chance.
Watched their game against England, they looked like completely different teams in two halves. Typical for African teams.

Tunisia has England and Belgium.
No chance.

Senegal probably has the best chance.
Poland isn't that strong, imo. Gilk also got injured.
Colombia also struggled in the qualifiers and Japan is pretty bad.

11 hours ago, kpain16 said:

Sure. But they always pick teams that are just close-ish to each other geographically :D

Guardian did a good article about this a couple of months back, it's crazy.

'Oh, let's play an African side ... any will do, not one that plays anything like the team we have in our group' :p

Archived