Pre-World Cup friendlies

PMLF

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's very difficult to gauge how well a team will do based on friendlies this close to the tournament, are teams really at 100% going full bore? All you can do is try to win but we have seen it all before with England, we have struggled in warm ups and beaten big sides and the difference on our tournament performance is zero.

It's all about playing the tournament and belief and confidence. Southgate is saying the right things but we have also seen this over and over in the past too.

Absolutely nothing matters except our approach to that Tunisia game

3 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

De Gea; Odriozola, Piqué, Ramos, Alba; Thiago, Busquets, Iniesta; Isco, Rodrigo, David Silva

The Spain XI for Tunisia

If Carajval is fit, apart from him would that be their likely starting XI? Feels like it would for me because Rodrigo/Aspas link up with the play better then Costa does, despite Costa being a better striker. 

Feel they need some pace in there though and would play Asensio over Silva, even though I adore Silva :( 

8 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

If Carajval is fit, apart from him would that be their likely starting XI? Feels like it would for me because Rodrigo/Aspas link up with the play better then Costa does, despite Costa being a better striker. 

Feel they need some pace in there though and would play Asensio over Silva, even though I adore Silva :( 

Seems like it will be yeah. 

I think they'll play Diego Costa over Rodrigo.

Not sure about Koke or Thiago, don't know who gets the nod there.

Obviously Carvajal.

Otherwise I think that's their XI. It is slow, I think they'll lose to a team that can overrun them. There's an argument that Iniesta should be in the bench

4 minutes ago, Nordan said:

3-0 Coutinho

Brazil winning the 'German-Austrian-Brazilian tournament' if it existed:

Brazil 1-0 Germany
Germany 1-2 Austria
Brazil 3-0 Austria

Just now, RTHerringbone said:

I didn't realise how many goals Neymar had scored for Brazil - is he still only about 26? Easily on track to surpass Pele's total if so.

Yes, born in 1992.

I think he will surpass Pelé but he will never become considered better than Pelé, no matter how many goals he scores. Pelé had already done a lot more at this age.

4 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, Pele wasn't a real striker and Ronaldo was injured for 3 years of his prime.

Can see Neymar getting a 100, easily.

Surprised that Romario didn't score more.

Pelé was a much more prolific scorer than Neymar, but Neymar plays games a lot more often for Brazil as the national team play far more games nowadays.

Pelé scored those 77 goals in 92 games, while Neymar scored his 55 in 85 games.

Romário missed a lot of Brazil games due to injuries and bad relations with managers.

3 hours ago, Fran93 said:

Poland - Lithuania.

In other times they were the same country! :cool:

As for Costa Rica, they seem to be the weakest team in Brazil's group.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2018 at 08:41, pearcey_90 said:

Germany always turn it on at World Cups, but I do have a feeling this will be a dud World Cup for them and one people look back on and say “they needed fresh ideas”.

They looked dead on their feet with 10 to go which really shocked me. Get involved in a physical open game, they could be right in the ****. Boateng/Hummels need to suddenly switch it on too. Both looked slow and playing a zig zag high line is a recipe for disaster against competent sides. Saudi got through multiple times and they’re ****.

Didn't turn it on then. Goodbye Germany :) :) :) 

Archived