England V Russia - Group B - ITV1 KO: 20:00

Djstu23

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When we scored we should have brought on vardy to exploit space and tired legs. Instead we tried to shut up shop. Daft.

There was no space to exploit.

Because Andrew keeps posting mythical info about Vardy being able to exploit pace against a Russian back line that hasn't increased since the first second or for the anti-English posting from you before...one of those maybe? Think I'll stay on.

no, because you're behaving like a child who's had enough internet for one day

Hodgson will always be the cautious safety first manager wont he? Russia there for the taking for pretty much the entire game and yet he persisted with Sterling who everyone with even the slightest but of ****ing sight could see was not working and then he brings on Milner and Wilshere to presumably close out the game which is laughable in itself.

Imagine being Vardy or Rashford after the last few months those two have had and having to sit on the bench watching some of those guys picked before you.

Said we were going to concede in added time, we went so deep.

He's just being typical Woy. Though I thought we played well in the first half I just have questions.

Why did he bring Rooney off? There was absolutely no need. There were players doing alot worse that needed to come off. How does Sterling start or even stay on that late? He's absolutely terrible. Why wasn't Vardy brought on at all? Kane was poor in the second half. Why does Kane take corners? Why do we pass back to Joe Hart so often when his distribution is so poor? Why did the ITV commentary think we played so well considering our goal came from a freekick and we weren't really making good chances?

Typical England. Bit peeved myself.

let's not overreact here. if we play like that in the next two games we'll have 7 points.

Wales & Slovakia both looked to have more attacking ability than Russia, of course that might give England a better chance of countering get into any extra space at the back.

Hodgson will always be the cautious safety first manager wont he? Russia there for the taking for pretty much the entire game and yet he persisted with Sterling who everyone with even the slightest but of ****ing sight could see was not working and then he brings on Milner and Wilshere to presumably close out the game which is laughable in itself.

Imagine being Vardy or Rashford after the last few months those two have had and having to sit on the bench watching some of those guys picked before you.

what about ****ing sturridge you ****?!

What a typically frustrating night that was. Overall by far the better team, just kept hitting everything at the keeper. We score from a freekick and looks like we'll get the win the performance deserves, then let in a soft goal late on.

Sterling was absolutely woeful. Just so poor. I watch him and genuinely wonder how he has played for Liverpool and City and is a starter for England. Looked like a competition winner tonight. Hart really not that good either, just nowhere near good enough but he is supposedly the best we have, which says a lot.

Still, a point is better than nothing, and we should still be progressing from this group comfortably enough. If we don't then we'll thoroughly deserve to go home.

You guys were pretty damn unlucky there. It wasn't a great performance as Russia after that tough start ramped up their defending remarkably well, but there was only one fair winner here and it wasn't Russia.

That wasn't even a good performance, I don't get the "football is cruel" narrative here.

Russia were really, really poor but England didn't create anything. They didn't deserve the win.

Oh come on. England were great. The problem is they won't play a team as bad as that throughout the tournament. Wales are better. Slovakia are better too. Neither will allow England to play like this

Kane was woeful and shouldn't be on set pieces. He took every corner and stayed on for 90 minutes

Can't complain about his equally wildly speculative choice of free kick taker though. ;)

Great, this is a new type of England side. Play quite well and still mess it up and get knocked out early.

I hate football. Wish I was one of those people who don't care about football. Like the guy walking his dog I saw outside my house during the 2nd half. Wish I was him. Hate football

What a typically frustrating night that was. Overall by far the better team, just kept hitting everything at the keeper. We score from a freekick and looks like we'll get the win the performance deserves, then let in a soft goal late on.

Sterling was absolutely woeful. Just so poor. I watch him and genuinely wonder how he has played for Liverpool and City and is a starter for England. Looked like a competition winner tonight. Hart really not that good either, just nowhere near good enough but he is supposedly the best we have, which says a lot.

Still, a point is better than nothing, and we should still be progressing from this group comfortably enough. If we don't then we'll thoroughly deserve to go home.

this is reactionary toss

England played well, whether we have it in us to beat Wales and Slovakia will only be seen in the matches coming up...we certainly don't scream consistency and confidence...but we are at least exciting. Drab result tonight...but compared to previous England tournament performances I'm happy...Thursday is going to be huge...need at least a draw...really a win...but it should be a great, tense match.

Oh come on. England were great. The problem is they won't play a team as bad as that throughout the tournament. Wales are better. Slovakia are better too. Neither will allow England to play like this

They dominated possession but did they really create much? Any time they were close to being in they either messed up the pass or Kane was offside.

They were much, much better than Russia but that was because Russia was awful. England should have created much more.

When it's 1-0 and Russia have been growing into the game, you try to kill the game. Don't try to sit back and defend because when you do that, you switch off.

Such a FM comment tbh.

Most teams shut up shop in the last 10 mins when they have the lead and play on the counter which is what England were doing. It was just one of those things, a good cross, a great header that was totally undeserved from their previous play.

Feels like a loss to be honest, beggars belief that Hodgson thinks we're capable of defending a one goal lead when history shows the opposite. With Russia pressing forward more I don't get why Vardy didn't come on to exploit a counter attack.

Oh well onto Bale on Thursday.

Horrific. UEFA/France need to get a grip on this or we are going to be seeing deaths in the stadium at some point in this tournament.

Seen a tweet saying England fans were throwing bits into the Russia section,mwhich led to them rushing the England fans

Care to elaborate?

Are you claiming Sterling wasn't awful?

He wasn't awful, he was fine. Made a few iffy decisions but he carried the ball well on the counter and was hampered by Kane's dreadful movement. It was no surprise that Russia scored after Sterling came off. Hodgson removed our only pacey forward and that meant that Russia could push higher up the pitch.

Hodgson cost us the game today.

They dominated possession but did they really create much? Any time they were close to being in they either messed up the pass or Kane was offside.

They were much, much better than Russia but that was because Russia was awful. England should have created much more.

Were you watching the game?

Lallana had three chances, Rooney one & Sterling one in the first half. Add in another 2/3 + the freekick in the second half and we could have easily had 3/4/5 on another day.

Hodgson has been largely good for England but he makes bad decisions in tournaments.

Kane was woeful and shouldn't be on set pieces. He took every corner and stayed on for 90 minutes

How has he been good for England?

Such a FM comment tbh.

Most teams shut up shop in the last 10 mins when they have the lead and play on the counter which is what England were doing. It was just one of those things, a good cross, a great header that was totally undeserved from their previous play.

17 minutes left not 10.

Would you not want Vardy on if you're playing on the counter?

He wasn't awful, he was fine. Made a few iffy decisions but he carried the ball well on the counter and was hampered by Kane's dreadful movement. It was no surprise that Russia scored after Sterling came off. Hodgson removed our only pacey forward and that meant that Russia could push higher up the pitch.

Hodgson cost us the game today.

Nah mate, he was awful. Last comment is accurate though.

England didn't create anything? :D what?

Slovakia are average and Wales are a couple of good players + the Championship. we'll smash them both.

They're both better than Russia based on the game earlier today. If we can't smash that Russia side I don't hold much hope for smashing Slovakia or Wales.

Archived