Football Manager 2016 Announcement: Release Date and New Features #FM16

I ll end up buying every edition no matter what, because this is the only game i play and probably will play.

But having said many of the new features of FM 16 seem nothing new, just repackaging, and maybe incremental addition on top of whats already there. And the so called new features like manager on touch screen, create your own team, fantasy draft-not sure these are game defining additions. I mean who cares if your avatar is walking on the sidelines.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say one piece of criticism. No not about FM as a game or the features announced, but personally i find this year release of new features the most unappealing yet, due how SI is releasing the new features are being announced.

The previous games, their pre-release feature announcement, these forums were busting with people discussing the new features and what not, but this year's game I feel that SI is loosing momentum, at least here in the forums.

Is anybody agrees with me? Or am I just my criticism has no justified foundations?

I have to say one piece of criticism. No not about FM as a game or the features announced, but personally i find this year release of new features the most unappealing yet, due how SI is releasing the new features are being announced.

The previous games, their pre-release feature announcement, these forums were busting with people discussing the new features and what not, but this year's game I feel that SI is loosing momentum, at least here in the forums.

Is anybody agrees with me? Or am I just my criticism has no justified foundations?

I would say these forums are the quietest I have ever seen them and I have been a member for over 10 years.

Someone mentioned on another post about social media have now taken over and forums are not as popular as they used to be. Not sure if that is true or not

It's quieter because there really isn't much to talk about. The features came out, and there was a boost in activity. Before that boost, it was about as quiet as it is now. Once the beta comes out, this forum will come alive with the dregs of FM society coming together to yell about how unfair it is, and how this is the worst game ever, and that that FM15 game was pure brilliant by the way. Then it'll slowly fall, with a few boosts around update dates, until we're back waiting for FM17 to come out.

This is normal, only slightly offset by the fact that forums aren't as popular anymore.

I just think there isn't much to talk about.

I know we're supposed to be constructive in criticism but this year's new features are seriously disappointing, virtually none have anything to do with what I consider to be the core of the game: tactics & team building. Unless there's something big being held back I'll basically have to decide whether to pay £35 for a data update.

I would say these forums are the quietest I have ever seen them and I have been a member for over 10 years.

Someone mentioned on another post about social media have now taken over and forums are not as popular as they used to be. Not sure if that is true or not

It is quiet but even a couple of years ago I remember reading an article saying that forum activity was declining and had been taken over by the likes of reddit & social media.

I just think there isn't much to talk about.

I know we're supposed to be constructive in criticism but this year's new features are seriously disappointing, virtually none have anything to do with what I consider to be the core of the game: tactics & team building. Unless there's something big being held back I'll basically have to decide whether to pay £35 for a data update.

The problem is nothing that improves the core of the game is worth mentioning as a feature, so while its what most of the more serious players want to see its not worth its not a "highlight feature" that makes the advertising.

Lol. Your stat just proves that your "local message board" is on the sharp decline. It's an era of social networks and such, people don't spend time on message boards anymore. And people grow up and change and stop playing FM with years too, and new fans are coming to FM but they don't join your local message board.

Actually, no. My "local message board" is not on decline. It's not dedicated specifically to FM, it covers a much broader area (or areas, depending on the perspective) and practically every topic of our everyday lives. Member numbers are rising steadily over the last few years as more people gain access to high speed internet, etc... One local message board that WAS dedicated to FM died, though..

Social networks may be No1 ATM, but somehow, I don't see them as a platform for discussions on tactics and comparison of progress, etc., etc.. Maybe I'm just following wrong social networks or reddits, but I doubt it. I mean, even this message board as a central one for FM, has IMHO a small amount of posts/comments. The views are high for sure, as there are some really, really brilliant topics here, but people do not comment much.

I Must admit,l the new features announced for FM16 do seem a little underwhelming. Hoping for some new features to be announced soon. A few 'minor' features that i would like to see is the crowd sounds more representative of the attendance. Its a little odd to hear 2,000 fans at a lower league club sound like a 70,000 premier league game. Be nice to get a flavour of the fans opinion of the team or manager by adding a few more 'chants', like crowd jeer's and boo's when unpopular players come on, etc. Would also like to see dynamic rivalries develop as team's grow (or shrink), Also, with screen real-estate being the way it is, it'd be nice to be able to use multiple monitors. Small things, I know.

I Do feel the game has become a little stale and repetitive, such as the same media questions over and over again with the same very limiting answers. And its nice to see SI adding features such as the create-a-team, and fantasy draft competitions. While these don't interest me much, at least it shows that SI are looking to shake things up a bit. Im pretty sure I will buy FM16, I have bought every edition since CM2, (Loved the commentary on this btw) but I am sinking far fewer hours into the game these days, this one could be my last :/

Quick question - If I buy through Steam the online copy, is this the full version game, or is that only when you wait and buy the boxed disc?

It will be full version.

Quick question - If I buy through Steam the online copy, is this the full version game, or is that only when you wait and buy the boxed disc?

Steam and Boxed is the same, full game. The only difference is that through Steam, you'd have to download the files that would have been on the disc + the activation/one-time only download. With the boxed version, it installs from the disc + you need the activation/one-time only download from Steam still.

A side note, buying a boxed version this year will not include the beta.

Thanks Maw74. I'm new here and have an old laptop and currently browsing to find a new one. Wanted a notebook this time, without optical drive, but then wondered if I can still play full version by purchasing online and not worry about buying disc with no DVD/CD-drive!

Hi, so whats the Beta (sorry, im new). So whats your advice to me then?

And, if I buy online through Steam, does that mean every time i want to play FM16 I have to be online?

The beta is just a pre-release (so, Beta) version of the game being made available around 2 weeks before release. So you can start your gaming 2 weeks earlier, although you have to remember it's Beta, so not quite the finished product.

Either way, wherever you buy it is the same. You need to be online for that initial download (obviously) and then after that you can switch Steam to offline mode and disconnect your internet.

The beta is just a pre-release (so, Beta) version of the game being made available around 2 weeks before release. So you can start your gaming 2 weeks earlier, although you have to remember it's Beta, so not quite the finished product.

Either way, wherever you buy it is the same. You need to be online for that initial download (obviously) and then after that you can switch Steam to offline mode and disconnect your internet.

Thanks HUNT3R - much appreciated. Think I will purchase online. And I guess once purchased online it goes into my Steam file inventory (if they have one?) Thanks mate

Thanks HUNT3R - much appreciated. Think I will purchase online. And I guess once purchased online it goes into my Steam file inventory (if they have one?) Thanks mate

Steam has what's called a Game Library. If I'm not mistaken, the title should appear there (someone correct me if this is wrong), although it will not download yet.

I buy every version of the game regardless and have done since the start... yes CM1 But this versions features seem underwhelming. I wont probably want to use any of them.. but i am sure as eggs is eggs that FM16 will be the best football management simulator out there. I can't wait to play it.

I am not ashamed to admit that this season I'm very eager and excited to get my paws in FM, I got them all, since 2005, but it will be the first time ever that I'll wait for the price drop somewhere near Xmas. But it all seems quite promising. Cheers to all of you FM addicts

For the first time after seeing the screenshots of a new FM game, im just not excited. If i don't want to play with a made up team what is new? what is new that's better that what we already have in this version (FM 15?) apart from manager appearance which looks like a decent feature and the team instructions revamp is all that has caught my eye. Are those two reason enough to shed out 55-60 euro? Im sure many will disagree with me but we're all entitled to our own opinion.

I think this might be my first year off from FM/CM since the 90s. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Nah im with you on that one pal. Very underwhelmed by the announcements and for me this year is by far the worst for new additions to the game. Terrible. Then again, maybe im getting old too!! I remember pulling all nighters 15/16 years ago playing this series :)

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but while managing a national team before a tournament (such as the World Cup or the Euros), it isn't possible to schedule friendlies before the 23-man final squad submission. In real life there are usually 1-2 friendlies with the 30-man preliminary squad before trimming down the squad, and those friendlies are meant to see which fringe players can impress in the national team. Would it be possible to add this in to the real game?

I remember falling asleep on the keyboard a few times at 5.00am as the sun came up. Those were the best days of my life.

Technically, wouldn't they have been nights?

:D

I think this year, unless SI have got some big features they've not yet disclosed, is a minor improvement, but lots of them kind of release rther than a big feature release.

It might be what is called for, improve the basics of the game rather than putting in something for the sake of putting in something new. So gameplay is improved, most of it in the background.

As said before, this has been the most unappealing announcement of features to date. No doubt the game has several improvements.

I don't want to be sound negative or anything, but regardless of Forum activity been declining, there is a serious lack of buzz surrounding the new game on this forums. I mean sure announce the stuff on twitter, facebook, the site of the game and so on. But don't forget the forums.

We are one month away from the release of FM16, and for me the most exiting announce yet are Rival Dynamics and Create a club features. The first most likely will learn more about it with the game and the second, well there are so many questions about it, that users would like to know. The rest I feel are expansions to current features. Miles video explaining why the new tactics screen is the way it looks, the week after got more buzz on these forums then this entire past few weeks since.

I'm serious concern about this game and the lack of motivation from SI to create a buzz around it. I'm sorry SI, but that is the message I'm receiving from this year release.

The 30 man preliminary squad ahead of a major tournament is already in the game.

Yeah, but what I think he was saying is that it'd be nice if they let you play friendlies prior to having to cut the squad. Like it works in real life. It's essentially pointless having the preliminary squad the way it is now.

I just wanted to know, for the past couple of years there was a video on youtube explaining the new features that would come up roughly around a month before the game. Will there be such video this year?

It was last year, and went up a long time before release. Would be surprised if there's anything this close to release, but who knows.

I remember falling asleep on the keyboard a few times at 5.00am as the sun came up. Those were the best days of my life.

Haha agreed!!! Remember doing that with a mate over as we were playing as Real Madrid and Barcelona and trying to finish the season. Mum came in at 6ish to find us out cold in the chairs with the game still on haha. Great days!!

I have a quick question. Just wondering if when creating the manager to stand on the touchline is there a female version..? I love football manager and loved it when you added in the female manager option. But the screenshots only show a male character...

I have a quick question. Just wondering if when creating the manager to stand on the touchline is there a female version..? I love football manager and loved it when you added in the female manager option. But the screenshots only show a male character...

We can already create female managers now, so it's quite possible that there's a female avatar.

I just wanted to know, for the past couple of years there was a video on youtube explaining the new features that would come up roughly around a month before the game. Will there be such video this year?

Nope. The features video was replaced this year by the intial annoucnement of the game and key new features (create-a-club, fantasy draft mode etc), and smaller features announced daily on twitter every day till game release. Here's a decent amount of the info that's been released so far but you need to check out Miles' twitter account and the Football Manager twitter account for all information.

http://www.footballmanager.com/football-manager-2016-key-features

http://www.footballmanager.com/football-manager-2016-features-plus

Nope. The features video was replaced this year by the intial annoucnement of the game and key new features (create-a-club, fantasy draft mode etc), and smaller features announced daily on twitter every day till game release. Here's a decent amount of the info that's been released so far but you need to check out Miles' twitter account and the Football Manager twitter account for all information.

http://www.footballmanager.com/football-manager-2016-key-features

http://www.footballmanager.com/football-manager-2016-features-plus

I really hope that is not true, seriously...

I really hope that is not true, seriously...

The features? or the method of marketing? I don't know for sure but like a few people on the forums have been saying, these forums like many others, are being used less as people abandon it over time or interact with it less. Social media is the beast that occupies many people's free time and it's clear that SI have responded to this and used a rounded strategy utilisng Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Youtube to distribute info and build excitement/reach new people.

Archived