Football Manager 2016 Announcement: Release Date and New Features #FM16

Indeed, but right now all of us FMC players will buy it along with the full game since we can't really wait "before Christmas", can we? :D

I'm sure like me you consider full price worth it even if you never go near full fat.

Who needs it after all? :D

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indeed, I believe SI are missing a massively important marketing opportunity by not promoting the realities of FMC nearly enough.

On it's own as a game it should be a huge seller.

I'm actually still confused as what FMC is meant to be and who it is targeted at.

I've had a couple of looks at it before returning to full FM so haven't had any real time to judge it but:

A) In FM15 the layout and colour scheme put me off although if I didn't have a choice I would have probably worked past that.

B) Gameplay - From my understanding it takes out a lot of the media, player interaction, add on stuff. Generally speaking I have no issues with full FM in this area and I don't feel that those areas add much time to my full FM experience. If I was to play FMC I would still be playing matches on comprehensive highlights so the time saved would be fairly minimal while I would lose some of the depth of full FM.

With the ME still being the same as full FM I just don't see who the target customer is, pretty much everything that has been done to speed it up can be done in full FM to some extent.

Am I missing something?

With the ME still being the same as full FM I just don't see who the target customer is, pretty much everything that has been done to speed it up can be done in full FM to some extent.

Am I missing something?

Yep. Even when you delegate as much as possible in Simulation Mode, it still takes an awful lot longer to process between fixtures than in FMC (now FMT) mode. FM Touch is just streamlined excellence. I genuinely cannot recommend it highly enough for people who don't enjoy the media and player interaction side of Sim Mode. I also don't see why people don't like the FM Touch skin; it's lovely.

RTHerringbone explained it well, but I want to emphasize that the effect of morale on players' performance is much, much lower in FMC than in full version. As a result, players don't complain as much, the press don't bother you as much etc. because those features affect morale, which is not as important in FMC.

Also, stuff like training and staff are glorified mini games in full version (getting those stars as high as possible in each category), while in FMC it's much simplified, suitable to its impact to the game, or lack thereof.

The focus is on tactics and transfers, everything else is set aside. Thus the target audience for FMC are people who want the experience (as close as possible) of older classics of the genre, like CM 01/02.

EDIT: I agree that the default skin is horrid. It needs alternatives imo, it looks way too childish and cartooney.

Yep. Even when you delegate as much as possible in Simulation Mode, it still takes an awful lot longer to process between fixtures than in FMC (now FMT) mode. FM Touch is just streamlined excellence. I genuinely cannot recommend it highly enough for people who don't enjoy the media and player interaction side of Sim Mode. I also don't see why people don't like the FM Touch skin; it's lovely.

With the same amount of leagues running?

How is it processing quicker when the ME is the same?

RTHerringbone explained it well, but I want to emphasize that the effect of morale on players' performance is much, much lower in FMC than in full version. As a result, players don't complain as much, the press don't bother you as much etc. because those features affect morale, which is not as important in FMC.

If the ME is the same morale should have the same effect which is fairly minor anyway in the grand scheme of things.

I get there is less off the field interaction but its maybe 10% at most of my gametime with around 90% taken up by processing & matches.

Also, stuff like training and staff are glorified mini games in full version (getting those stars as high as possible in each category), while in FMC it's much simplified, suitable to its impact to the game, or lack thereof.

Again a relatively minor feature that I spend very little time on.

The focus is on tactics and transfers, everything else is set aside. Thus the target audience for FMC are people who want the experience (as close as possible) of older classics of the genre, like CM 01/02.

Whilst 01/02 was great for the time things have moved on, to get the best experience out of the ME I believe you need to be watching a significant portion of the match. So for someone like me who does FMC seems to offer very little benefit over the full version.

For people that race through matches I can see match plans being a big benefit but generally they can race through matches on full FM whereas they lose the benefit of watching the matches on both versions.

From where I'm sitting there just doesn't seem to be a massive difference between playing FMC and playing full FM and delegating things to your staff.

I also don't see why people don't like the FM Touch skin; it's lovely.

I agree but I think we are in the minority, having said that I'm using a custom skin at the moment, don't like the change in name though.

From where I'm sitting there just doesn't seem to be a massive difference between playing FMC and playing full FM and delegating things to your staff.

I guess you'd have to conduct a test and play a season on both modules to feel the difference. :D

Joking aside, I can't explain the difference any better than I have. The fact remains things simply go quicker and smoother on FMC, there are less things to screw up and worry about, it maintains its focus on core aspects of football management and it doesn't let go. Whether that's just my feeling or reality it doesn't matter (for me). I played about 5 seasons on full FM 15 before moving on to FMC and the difference was massive.

I also don't see why people don't like the FM Touch skin; it's lovely.

One of the reasons I couldn't stick with full FM this year was that I couldn't find a skin I liked as much as my modded FMC skin. Not that mine was much different from the default ones anyway.

With the same amount of leagues running?

How is it processing quicker when the ME is the same?

There is much more to the processing load than the ME, all the interactions, media, happiness, training etc require processing allocation & with them striped away or reduced to an absolute minimum there is less data to get through, this also has a positive influence on keeping the memory footprint down & memory allocation is another killer for game speed.

As for the overall gameplay there is a distinctly different feel between the two games, FMC isn't for me as I enjoy the depth I create in the full game but I can see why the game mode is very popular with people who have become frustrated with the full FM game mode & more people should give FMC a fair shake rather than 20 minutes.

The big drawback for me with FMC is the lack of editor compatibility. When I can't update/correct the database (e. g. Names! 'Natxo Monreal') it drives me just so nutsy.

I feel the exact same way mate,i would play FMC all the time if i could edit competition names etc.

I know Kriss answered you in the other thread, but I'll answer here too, just in case someone else is wondering. The package is the same as it always was. You still get FM + FMT (the old FMC) for PC as a package. So in your case, buying the full version will include FMT as well.

The only change this year is that FMT is available as a standalone product as well.

I just saw Miles twitter and kind liked the looks of the teams stats overview.

I also pleased to hear we are getting a guide to FM. It is called The Football Manager Guide to Football Management by Ian Macintosh. it is expected to be released October 8th, 2015. It will be in hardback and ebook format. i probably will get one to expand my football knowledge.

I know Kriss answered you in the other thread, but I'll answer here too, just in case someone else is wondering. The package is the same as it always was. You still get FM + FMT (the old FMC) for PC as a package. So in your case, buying the full version will include FMT as well.

The only change this year is that FMT is available as a standalone product as well.

Thanks again Hunter.

The big drawback for me with FMC is the lack of editor compatibility. When I can't update/correct the database (e. g. Names! 'Natxo Monreal') it drives me just so nutsy.
I feel the exact same way mate,i would play FMC all the time if i could edit competition names etc.

That's where create a club will be very handy !!! :) :) :cool: :cool: ;)

I have a solo game of FM where I play full fat mode but I also play a multiplayer game with two others and we found full fat was just taking too long, as our time is limited. We tried FMC and it's proving to be a more than adequate substitute. It's a bit quicker because we don't have to click our way through pointless news items and that is enough of a difference to be worth it.

I also pleased to hear we are getting a guide to FM. It is called The Football Manager Guide to Football Management by Ian Macintosh. it is expected to be released October 8th, 2015. It will be in hardback and ebook format. i probably will get one to expand my football knowledge.

What kind of guide is this book gonna be?

Here is synopsis from Amazon.co.uk.

The Football Manager Guide to Football Management is for anyone who has ever believed that they could do a better job than their club’s manager. It’s for anyone who has ever tried to prove that point by taking the hot seat in the management simulation Football Manager.

Whilst most Football Manager players feel they possess innate tactical awareness, on point man-management skills and a gift for dealing with the media; even the most hardened fan would have to admit there’s much to be learned from those who ply their trade in the real world.

If you want to make an immediate impact on your struggling hometown club, you need to refer back to Sir Bobby Robson. If you want to lay down the law with your young players, you need to take tips from Sir Alex Ferguson. Want to avoid a financial catastrophe? Then learn from Leeds United!

So if, at any point in your life, you have imagined yourself in a tracksuit, waving your arms in the air on the touchline, with your perfect XI scribbled on the back of a beer mat and thinking ahead to the press conference, then this book is for you.

After all, you’re already a football manager… you just haven’t been appointed yet.

Funny guy is that Mcintosh fellow :)

I understand at present, the official line is that the beta will be "out roughly two weeks before release"

I would like to book a couple of days off work around when that is, but does anyone know when it will be actually confirmed... i.e - how much notice we will get confirming the beta's release

Many thanks

I understand at present, the official line is that the beta will be "out roughly two weeks before release"

I would like to book a couple of days off work around when that is, but does anyone know when it will be actually confirmed... i.e - how much notice we will get confirming the beta's release

Many thanks

I don't think SI would be able to plan around you booking time off :p

As Kriss says, it usually drops with absolutely no notice. Thousands of threads will pop up asking, almost all closed, and then a stickied thread will come up and it'll be available.

Thanks Guys.

I tell you what I will do, I will book the couple of days off and then come back on her and advise what dates, so that SI can then ensure it aligns with my time off ;-)

Quite scary tbh, how at 35 years of age I am planning days off work as holiday, to coincide with the beta release of the game.

Very much looking forward to the games release and one day a life lived in reality, rather than a virtual world of mediocre football management simulation

Been out the loop for a week or so, had a browse but couldnt see anything. Have any new features been announced since the official announcement?

Im thinking of starting a new save, currently not a single feature makes me want the new game for the first time in 15 years so im wondering to start now or wait a few weeks if anything good has been announced

Been out the loop for a week or so, had a browse but couldnt see anything. Have any new features been announced since the official announcement?

Im thinking of starting a new save, currently not a single feature makes me want the new game for the first time in 15 years so im wondering to start now or wait a few weeks if anything good has been announced

As the OP says, the football manager site lists the features, both announced here and social media.

http://www.footballmanager.com/football-manager-2016-features-plus

I have seen some references here on TRUE FM players.

I mean, the idea of a true player is ludicrous, as it can not be exactly explained. In a way, we are all true players as we pour a lot of our time into playing this game.

That said, I can understand what was probably meant. Guys like me, who have played this game since the 90s, have seen this game progress leaps and bounds, both in ME and graphics, and we consider ourselves true players just on the terms that we have been playing it for a long time. :D

For some of us, the game has on the way lost what made it special. Like someone already mentioned, Football Manager started as a game and progressed toward what it is now, a simulation. (Un)fortunately, a very good simulation. I find myself not enjoying the game the last few editions, spending less and less time playing it as it has grown more and more complex. And I feel I'm not the only one.

For example, threads on a local message board I'm a member of

FM 2011 - 327 pages (6500 posts)

FM 2012 - 233 pages (4600 posts)

FM 2013 - 115 pages (2300 posts)

FM 2014 - 52 pages (1000 posts)

FM 2015 - 28 pages (500 posts)

as you can see, it's on a sharp decline. I remember when we used to play it almost every day a few years ago, comparing our results, players we found.. now, it's all but stopped.. there isn't even a thread for FM 2016 yet. No one has opened it. :(

I know I just don't have it in me any more to play and enjoy it. I find myself walking away after playing the game for a few hours agitated and angry, both of which are not emotions one should feel after playing a game.

I know I'll be buying FM 2016 but I feel like that will be the last FM I will play. Which actually makes me sad as FM was one of the few games I play and one that I stuck with since childhood. One could say it is one of the last remnants of my childhood and walking away from FM will probably be closing the door on that part of my life. I know, I'm being melodramatic, but that's just the way I feel. :o

P.S. English is not my first language, so I apologize for the mistakes

@Dukkai - I feel you bro. I have played this game since the 90s as well and have played it less each year since around 2010. Yes, I have grown up and am spending more time with family, friends and work obviously...

...but those things are not the biggest factor for me not playing very much. The game has become so complex that I have only played it (FM2015) for one period of time which was the whole month of December 2015. I had a great time playing, but when the time hit January and I had to go back to work I simply didn't have time for FM because it's so time consuming. I can easily spend 2-3 hours on the transfer windows only...that's like my whole week's of free time for gaming! Finishing a season in 1-2 weeks is just too long. Then I'd rather open good old CounterStrike and kill some people for an hour and then sit back and relax to some Champions League games.

PS. Even though I'm not so excited about the FM2016 I will buy it no matter what. I have only missed out on one edition the last 15 years!

@Dukkai - I feel you bro. I have played this game since the 90s as well and have played it less each year since around 2010. Yes, I have grown up and am spending more time with family, friends and work obviously...

...but those things are not the biggest factor for me not playing very much. The game has become so complex that I have only played it (FM2015) for one period of time which was the whole month of December 2015. I had a great time playing, but when the time hit January and I had to go back to work I simply didn't have time for FM because it's so time consuming. I can easily spend 2-3 hours on the transfer windows only...that's like my whole week's of free time for gaming! Finishing a season in 1-2 weeks is just too long. Then I'd rather open good old CounterStrike and kill some people for an hour and then sit back and relax to some Champions League games.

PS. Even though I'm not so excited about the FM2016 I will buy it no matter what. I have only missed out on one edition the last 15 years!

True, but if you play FMC, it goes much faster. You can finish a season in a day or 2.

My problem is mostly (and I feel I'm not alone in this) with tactics. I have read rashidi's, Cleon's and THOG's threads (some of them more than once), spent hours on that part of the game but I still can't consistently produce good/decent results. And I think I'm of average intelligence. Maybe this is just something I can't wrap my head around.

True, but if you play FMC, it goes much faster. You can finish a season in a day or 2.

My problem is mostly (and I feel I'm not alone in this) with tactics. I have read rashidi's, Cleon's and THOG's threads (some of them more than once), spent hours on that part of the game but I still can't consistently produce good/decent results. And I think I'm of average intelligence. Maybe this is just something I can't wrap my head around.

You probably try to hard, just like real life there's no magic bullet and things that do work don't always work (or keep working forever)

Do what makes sense and be prepared to change players who don't work out even if in theory they should, as well as changing tactics sensibly.

Do what you would irl, if it still goes wrong THEN you start worrying whether it's you or the game :D

You probably try to hard, just like real life there's no magic bullet and things that do work don't always work (or keep working forever)

Do what makes sense and be prepared to change players who don't work out even if in theory they should, as well as changing tactics sensibly.

Do what you would irl, if it still goes wrong THEN you start worrying whether it's you or the game :D

Probably, changing too much in a short amount of time or something like that.

I always do what makes sense, it's just that at some point I just get so frustrated that I start doing stuff practically random. :D

I do worry because, in the end, this is a game, or it's supposed to be. And yet, you need a few hours of reading threads, blogs, etc. to be decent or good but not necessarily successful at it. How many games like that you know? :D

However, it's not so bleak. I've tried FMC and it seems decent, maybe a tad easier. Although, I can't seem to find if there is a possibility of a larger database or something because even with England, Italy and France loaded, you still have a very small pool of players available. For example, I don't even have Ajer in my game. :confused:

Also, I think the youth management part of FMC is a bit lacking, which is unfortunate as it is one of my favorite parts of FM.

There's a checkbox when creating a new game that allows you to remove the nation & player limits.

Find your comment about FMC being easier (probably should be less scope to make mistakes that easier) a bit strange, unless I've missed something isn't that what you're after?

There's a checkbox when creating a new game that allows you to remove the nation & player limits.

Find your comment about FMC being easier (probably should be less scope to make mistakes that easier) a bit strange, unless I've missed something isn't that what you're after?

I did not comment it in a negative context :D

I said that for FM you need hours of prep reading to be decent/good and after that I commented that it is not so bleak, as FMC seems a bit easier. :D

Maybe my English is a bit confusing.. :D

P.S. so, it's not possible to add leagues after starting the game like in full FM? and I can't manage whether they are playable or just view only?

I have seen some references here on TRUE FM players.

I mean, the idea of a true player is ludicrous, as it can not be exactly explained. In a way, we are all true players as we pour a lot of our time into playing this game.

That said, I can understand what was probably meant. Guys like me, who have played this game since the 90s, have seen this game progress leaps and bounds, both in ME and graphics, and we consider ourselves true players just on the terms that we have been playing it for a long time. :D

For some of us, the game has on the way lost what made it special. Like someone already mentioned, Football Manager started as a game and progressed toward what it is now, a simulation. (Un)fortunately, a very good simulation. I find myself not enjoying the game the last few editions, spending less and less time playing it as it has grown more and more complex. And I feel I'm not the only one.

For example, threads on a local message board I'm a member of

FM 2011 - 327 pages (6500 posts)

FM 2012 - 233 pages (4600 posts)

FM 2013 - 115 pages (2300 posts)

FM 2014 - 52 pages (1000 posts)

FM 2015 - 28 pages (500 posts)

as you can see, it's on a sharp decline. I remember when we used to play it almost every day a few years ago, comparing our results, players we found.. now, it's all but stopped.. there isn't even a thread for FM 2016 yet. No one has opened it. :(

I know I just don't have it in me any more to play and enjoy it. I find myself walking away after playing the game for a few hours agitated and angry, both of which are not emotions one should feel after playing a game.

I know I'll be buying FM 2016 but I feel like that will be the last FM I will play. Which actually makes me sad as FM was one of the few games I play and one that I stuck with since childhood. One could say it is one of the last remnants of my childhood and walking away from FM will probably be closing the door on that part of my life. I know, I'm being melodramatic, but that's just the way I feel. :o

P.S. English is not my first language, so I apologize for the mistakes

Lol. Your stat just proves that your "local message board" is on the sharp decline. It's an era of social networks and such, people don't spend time on message boards anymore. And people grow up and change and stop playing FM with years too, and new fans are coming to FM but they don't join your local message board.

Lol. Your stat just proves that your "local message board" is on the sharp decline. It's an era of social networks and such, people don't spend time on message boards anymore. And people grow up and change and stop playing FM with years too, and new fans are coming to FM but they don't join your local message board.

I agree with this

it's not the game that's the issue, it's that people don't tend to go to forums anymore (other than the official one)

I've seen my other one die because there hasn't been an influx of new teenagers, and the hardened 5-10 version veterans have moved on (partner, FT work, studies, whatever)

I personally found my FM interest die a bit due to that:

FM12 - 290 hours

FM13 - last year of university, didn't get that version at all

FM14 - 125 hours, seeking FT work, didn't get into a save

FM15 - 161 hours, working FT, got into a save, but played sporadically (would've plunged around 100 hours into it before Christmas, have probably played around 20 hours since Feb [when I started working FT])

FM16 - Got it on preorder, but getting laid off has given me some free time (of course, I'll have found a new job by the time it drops :p )

Archived