England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

Not sure which England Pearcey has been watching. We look genuinely quite good and coherent at the moment which is more than I can say for pretty much the rest of the time I have watched England regularly

I admit against Scotland we looked much better, seemed to be clicking a lot more going forward and players were surprisingly up for the game which I feel Rooney played a key role in, showing his leadership which I had my doubts at the start but he seems to be revelling in it. Other games we've lacked that urgency and cohesion, and against better sides would be behind and as shown before against better sides when we go behind we rarely win. Could be down to the crap we're having to face so far, but I'd hope for more encouraging performances to be far, don't care that other nations are faltering, that shouldn't paper over we've been poor quite a lot of games despite of winning. As those nations have a track record of turning up for big tournaments, we don't. So need that consistency when arriving as we can't turn it on and off. Amazes me also how slow Hodgson is to put a player into the side. Clyne should have been starting the last round of games, as he showed this one he's head and shoulders above our other right backs. Lambert featuring against Scotland :confused: what did that tell him? It's baffling his subs. My main worry for when we face better sides, is the DM. This is hardly Roy's fault as no one is around atm, but I don't think Wilshere is the man. May be against lesser sides when we have more of the ball, but sides that pressure us more, he's a serious weak link. Not because he's not good enough because he is, but more because that's not the role he ever plays.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our fans are better then your fans is so stupid. It's even worse at club level, as if there is any inherent difference between John (the working class, bin man Liverpool fan) and Steve (the working class milkman Man Utd fan). People can be douches. Sometimes they act up at football matches.

I admit against Scotland we looked much better, seemed to be clicking a lot more going forward and players were surprisingly up for the game which I feel Rooney played a key role in, showing his leadership which I had my doubts at the start but he seems to be revelling in it. Other games we've lacked that urgency and cohesion, and against better sides would be behind and as shown before against better sides when we go behind we rarely win. Could be down to the crap we're having to face so far, but I'd hope for more encouraging performances to be far, don't care that other nations are faltering, that shouldn't paper over we've been poor quite a lot of games despite of winning. As those nations have a track record of turning up for big tournaments, we don't. So need that consistency when arriving as we can't turn it on and off. Amazes me also how slow Hodgson is to put a player into the side. Clyne should have been starting the last round of games, as he showed this one he's head and shoulders above our other right backs. Lambert featuring against Scotland :confused: what did that tell him? It's baffling his subs. My main worry for when we face better sides, is the DM. This is hardly Roy's fault as no one is around atm, but I don't think Wilshere is the man. May be against lesser sides when we have more of the ball, but sides that pressure us more, he's a serious weak link. Not because he's not good enough because he is, but more because that's not the role he ever plays.

You raise a good point about the DM and I think it's a debate that needs to be had. Do we stick with Wilshere, or do we go for somebody who can do the graft, do the ''dirty work'' so to speak, but doesn't have the passing and vision that Wilshere has.

It's a hard choice, but I would be willing to look at somebody else if it meant we have a better structure when we're not the controlling side.

Our fans are better then your fans is so stupid. It's even worse at club level, as if there is any inherent difference between John (the working class, bin man Liverpool fan) and Steve (the working class milkman Man Utd fan). People can be douches. Sometimes they act up at football matches.
I wasn't comparing, I was stating that the English fans on Tuesday were vile. There is no comparison with the Scottish fans to be made.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Missing a few quality defenders, but a lot of the youngsters are looking really good this season.

Sturridge and Kane up front with Sterling behind could be pretty deadly.

Really need a defensive midfielder too...

Dont want Kane called up yet, would rather he had some proper tournament action in the Under 21s this summer than a pointless summer friendly.

Have to recall Carrick if fit, because there isn't really anyone else who is actually any good.

• 1 month later...

He'd give England Beckham-lite corner and free kick delivery, has an eye for a pass and is future captain material. I suppose they may want to look at him close up in the senior team environment for a friendly but continue using him for the under 21's in the summer.

Ryan Bertrand getting a recall to join Clyne and Forster in the squad would make more sense at the moment. He has been better than the likes of Rose, Shaw, Gibbs or Cresswell this season. Yet in polls Sky do for England left backs they ignore Bertrand completely as an option. Bertrand is clearly doing something well considering he is a key part of the best defensive record in the league after 29 games, so to rule him out as an option is odd.

PA journalist thinks Ward-Prowse won't be called up, but still thinks there'll be three Southampton players. Which would suggest Clyne, Forster and a possible recall for Bertrand...

We don't need to call up players and then leave them out the next squad. It's good for some young players to be around the squad and train but I think the ones ready to make that step. Berahino, no problem, even if he doesn't make the next squad was a decent choice

Not sure about Dier, think he needs to concentrate on U21 (is he still in for that?) and no JWP for same reason. He's not ready for the full squad yet

I think we're almost certain that Lambert won't be in the squad from now on either and Kane has to be called up now

Gibbs over Bertrand is a joke tbf

Agreed. So is three left backs. Young deserves a recall tbf. Would of like to see Austin or Berahino aswell but Welbeck does it for Woy, not sure how well Sturridge has done since he's returned.

For some reason I can't help but think a midfielder looks missing.

Sturridge is fine, he's been pretty decent since he came back

Yeah, I agree, does seem a midfielder light and I think Townsend is maybe getting auto-entry as he's been in recent squads, not sure he's been great recently, has he? I think there's a core group anyway and then a few spots genuinely up for grabs and Townsend seems to be in that group of 'international quality'

I think there's a spot up for grabs in next year or so there but he's always done well for England

Should have left Shaw with the u21s and brought in Young, but assume he's keen to have Shaw training with the seniors as much as possible and getting lots of exposure with the.

Meh, Young

He's been good for England before and playing well for United but I'd rather wait and see how he is between now and next squad. Not sure he'll be in squads in 2 years time and get back to his old form. I doubt he'll start so think I'd prefer someone younger/else in the 'squad but not playing' slot, for now

3 LBS?! :confused: Just don't understand that one bit, and one of them isn't even arguably the form LB this season.

Townsend, ffs. As long as Woy is manager that guy will always be in the squad regardless of form, such a joke. Would have liked to seen one less LB, one more striker (call up for either Austin or Ings) and Townsend out and someone else in.

Do we have any other 'upcoming CBs'? As for me Jagielka needs leaving out, been dreadful this season and he wasn't really the best anyway, and I can't see him improving leading to the Euros. Him and Cahil as a partnership gives me kittens against any national side that has a half decent forward.

3 LBS?! :confused: Just don't understand that one bit, and one of them isn't even arguably the form LB this season.

Townsend, ffs. As long as Woy is manager that guy will always be in the squad regardless of form, such a joke. Would have liked to seen one less LB, one more striker (call up for either Austin or Ings) and Townsend out and someone else in.

Do we have any other 'upcoming CBs'? As for me Jagielka needs leaving out, been dreadful this season and he wasn't really the best anyway, and I can't see him improving leading to the Euros. Him and Cahil as a partnership gives me kittens against any national side that has a half decent forward.

Stones and erm...think that's it.

Every international manager we have has always had players in there considered good enough that will always feature. You can't build an international side changing 12 players every squad

Not sure Townsend deserves that right now but he probably earned Roy's trust with some important performances/goals

I usually hate the old "He's only in there because of who he plays for" line but its never been more apt than with Luke Shaw, utterly baffling inclusion.

You could switch out Luke Shaw with Kieran Gibbs in that sentence and it still would be just as true. 3 left backs but no Bertrand and Stones not called up (probably because hes in the u21s) is baffling. Also wouldn't go for Delph when Villa has been bad all season and Delph isn't helping that well.

I love that I can look at that and honestly say Jordan Henderson is one of the first names on that team sheet. So proud of how well he is doing.

A see your pride and raise you a bunch of **** players ;)

You could switch out Luke Shaw with Kieran Gibbs in that sentence and it still would be just as true. 3 left backs but no Bertrand and Stones not called up (probably because hes in the u21s) is baffling. Also wouldn't go for Delph when Villa has been bad all season and Delph isn't helping that well.

True and a lot of people don't want Delph in the squad either but atleast hes fit and playing week in week out and has improved over the last few weeks, i accept Delph is a debatable one but Shaw isn't really even debatable is it?

Archived