Things we should be able to tell our players - a list of suggestions

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the other side of the coin we should see a conversation go like this:

'Yes, boss, you wanted to see me?'

'I think this meeting has run it's course'

'Er, ok, bye, you mentalist'

Heh. Though I do that quite a lot in game as it is the only way to find out what options for a conversation are available. So I invite the player in intending to talk to him about something and find the game won't let say what I want and send him away. I do it with the board as well when I'm trying to find out if an option to request an improvement is available.

Out of all the things we can pick from to talk to our players, theres not a single comment to explain to a player I'm gonna drop him for a few games to test someone else out. All we can do is tell him we're gonna sub him cause he's tired (which often seems to not be well received so why bother, just drop him without talking to him). Stuff like this is after all the cornerstone of football for a manager; talking to your players about your first team in a normal "youre in/youre out" manner.

Also agree with most posts. Player interaction is in dire need of almost a complete rework from scratch, thats how bad it is with all the insane logic and bugs floating around.

"That thing you do when you stand still watching the ball on a long pass in your direction, while the defender 15 yards behind you sprints past you and takes the ball. You know that? Sure you do, you do it 15 times a game, right, remember now.

Stop that or I'll cut you."

"Guys, why do you keep long passing to that useless pillock I have to play because I only have 12 players. I mean, what part of play short passes is that? This is exactly why you're all in a League One relegation battle."

Can we include this to conversations with the board?

"I asked you for an increase to the wage budget three months ago, and you replied that you agreed however we didn't have the funds. Now we have the funds, so why do you suddenly disagree?"

'Our relationship has completely broken down....'

Reply - 'Err, no it hasn't, why do you think I'm attempting a conversation with you? You're in the huff, that's the problem here.'

Totally want the ability to tell players on both side of the mentoring set up to grow up and get on with it in a professional manner rather than refuse because they don't like each other.

Also, some more sophistication in team meetings. I can't remember the last time I didn't manage to upset my entire team in a post season meeting. If I am optimistic about next season that's wrong. If I play our chances down that's wrong. What's bloody right?

I can't remember the last time I didn't manage to upset my entire team in a post season meeting. If I am optimistic about next season that's wrong. If I play our chances down that's wrong. What's bloody right?

Team meetings should really be reworked. In the few team meetings that I've had in this version, one of two things only happen: either nobody reacts or everybody reacts badly.

I'd like to be able to offer to "give back" my transfer budget to the board, so they can use it on developments I want, or feel are more important.

You can do this already. Simply don't spend it and your balance will be healthier when you go to the board with your requests.

"ive played the same team for 10 games straight and are unbeaten in them, no you cant have 1st team football"

X player has requested to be removed from the transfer list

"ha ha ha ha ha, no chance! see you in the free transfer list"

team talk

"listen the only chance some of you have of playing is in this cup, so if you want games you'd better win"

Why have i transfer listed you? Because Mr Torres you couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo. Oh you are happy here and dont want to leave? How about accepting a wage that fits your ability...ah you want a pay rise? Obviously not that happy here....now get out of my office el donkey :)

I had injuries to my first and second choice right backs so I was forced to bring up a couple of guys from my reserves team. One of them has now recovered, so I dropped the weaker of the players back to the reserves team and he's complaining about it. I wish I could have told him that I was only bringing him up to the first team due to injuries to other players. For the record, he's nowhere near good enough to be on the first team, the only reason he's still at the club is because nobody even wants him on loan.

I had injuries to my first and second choice right backs so I was forced to bring up a couple of guys from my reserves team. One of them has now recovered, so I dropped the weaker of the players back to the reserves team and he's complaining about it. I wish I could have told him that I was only bringing him up to the first team due to injuries to other players. For the record, he's nowhere near good enough to be on the first team, the only reason he's still at the club is because nobody even wants him on loan.

If I told a player that before selecting him I wouldn't expect him to play particularly well. I would think his morale and motivation would take a pretty massive hit after that conversation.

If I told a player that before selecting him I wouldn't expect him to play particularly well. I would think his morale and motivation would take a pretty massive hit after that conversation.

Maybe... but if I was to add something like 'but if you can prove yourself then there's a chance you could earn yourself a permanent place on the first team' then I don't see why he'd have a problem with that. Realistically though, he should realise that he's not even close to the level of the current first team players (he has one star for current rating and two for potential) and be grateful for any first team time he does get.

More of a UI feature:

I'd like to be able to discuss a player's match performance (either criticize or praise) with the press rather than having to sit through the whole press conference. Right now this can only be achieved through the Interact with Player option. A UI link to the same would be nice (immediately after the team talk is done).

Speaking of Team-Talks:

The option to isolate groups of players to deliver a talk. For example:

If my CM-L, DC-R and ST are doing badly, I'd like to talk to all three at once (giving the same team-talk ofcourse).

Another talk which is lacking ATM:

My team does well. Up 3-0 at half time. I'd like to tell (much rather WARN them) to keep up the same performance levels through out.

Because if I praise them, their performance drops to shocking levels.

Another talk which is lacking ATM:

My team does well. Up 3-0 at half time. I'd like to tell (much rather WARN them) to keep up the same performance levels through out.

Because if I praise them, their performance drops to shocking levels.

We already have this one, it is called "Warn against complacency". A little less harsh version "you're doing well but could do even better".

You could also skip team talk, which translates to "you know what to do".

At 3-0 I usually praise cautiously anyway, because no amount of warning will really take away all complacency at that point. The rest is up to the professionalism of your players, and possibly Determination.

I know I fine you for getting sent off, but so long as you only do it once every so often before games I'd probably have rested you for anyway, I actually feel quite proud of you for it.

(To the tune of total eclipse of the heart, and shamelessly nicked off the Yann Kermorgant YouTube vid) once upon a time I had faith in the guy, but now it's time for you to depart, what else can I say you were totally sh*t from the start.

There should also be the option to physically assault the player in some light form or verbally insult him. For example when a young player agrees with you that he will never be good enough and that he should go. Utterly shocking behaviour. Show some fight man, I don't mind if you're deluded, but just giving up?? Unacceptable.

'Stop being a greedy git and play the ball across the box to a striker crying out for a tap-in rather than shoot from a ridiculous angle'.

Known issue. Still doesn't stop me screaming at the screen "Pass it you........!" well, you figure it out from there. :D

I'd like to be able to tell the fans who think my decision to let a player leave was an aberration, that he left because a) he was rubbish; b) he transfer listed himself by request; c) he refused to sign a new contract. Basically, stop having a go at me for something I had no control over.

Is it possible to criticise a player for their disciplinary record? I think I remember seeing that option, but I haven't been able to find it. If not, that's something I'd like to see... I have this player who is performing very well but he gets booked in almost every match.

I'd like to be able to tell the fans who think my decision to let a player leave was an aberration, that he left because a) he was rubbish; b) he transfer listed himself by request; c) he refused to sign a new contract. Basically, stop having a go at me for something I had no control over.

Yes. All of this kind of stuff.

Pre-season team talks need more stages, "Two seasons ago I told you we could get a mid-table finish, you didn't believe me and we finished 9th. Last season I told you Europa League was within reach, you didn't believe me and we qualified. So what the f*** makes you think that we can't make Champions league this season, you have the ambition of an alcoholic!"

Also wish you could just scream at your players during half-time or post-match. "Are you guys freaking kidding me? That's a championship side you're losing against out there, and you're the supposed CL champions! If you don't get out there with your head in the game and win, the next training camp will be in North Korea!" Body language: Terrified.

agree with all of these, wonder how many could make it into the game.

I've had a run of players come in this season wanting to talk about "need to leave for new challenges"...with my response always "I need you here, you're an important part of what I want to accomplish" and they all go "okay, then, see you later".

Last player I let go for this reason, he transferred to Wigan, played 6 games in 2 years, Bayern bought him, never played him, Juventus bought him, he didn't see the field in 18 months, he was released, and ended up in the Scottish Premier playing for Inverness CT and still telling the press what a great team WE are. Just shut up about us, if you'd stayed put you would have had another 150 games, won the Champions twice, and be making much more than ICT is playing you.

I'd like to be able to offer to "give back" my transfer budget to the board, so they can use it on developments I want, or feel are more important.

I agree. I needed money the first couple of seasons but now I have bought and developed enough up and coming stars that other than 2-3 promising youth players each season to keep the mill rolling I don't need the multi millions for players. I would much rather the board used that money to build an extended or bigger stadium which they keep telling me there aren't enough funds for!!!!.

Team meetings should really be reworked. In the few team meetings that I've had in this version, one of two things only happen: either nobody reacts or everybody reacts badly.

I find that sometimes team meetings are the only way to end a bad run of form.

I can lose 10 games on the trot, call a team meeting then all of a sudden we'll turn it around and turn into Barcelona. Overpowered IMO

I find that sometimes team meetings are the only way to end a bad run of form.

I can lose 10 games on the trot, call a team meeting then all of a sudden we'll turn it around and turn into Barcelona. Overpowered IMO

Linked with this,

"Yes, ANOTHER team meeting, because you clearly weren't paying attention last time. And we'll keep having team meetings until you do!"

"Bite someone again and I'll rip your teeth out"

"Distribute ball to defenders does not mean drop it and move away from your goal and pass it to the opponent for a tap in where there are three unmarked defenders waiting for the ball"

Rubbish GK who did the above - "Why am I not playing more games in the first team?"

Gaffer - You were signed as back-up to our #1 GK who is the best player on the team and you agreed to that and have played more than most back-ups have.

Rubbish GK - If you don't play me more I might as well leave.

Gaffer - Your on a non-contract why haven't you managed to get a contract with us or someone else? Close the door on the way out.

I've taken over a club at the end of August and within weeks 3 players have decided they will leave on a Bosman at the end of the season. I try to talk to them but I can't because they feel the relationship has broken down. But I've never even spoke to them in the past - any grievance they have is with the previous manager. Why can't I talk to them and try to convince them to reconsider, since I've now got the team to the top of the league and look very likely to clinch promotion?

Archived