Should Suarez be banned from football?

jmr

Should he be banned from football?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Should he be banned from football?

oh, get over it. Literally everything that happens in a World Cup match would get you in trouble in any other setting. Trying to say, "If he did it in a pub, he'd be in real trouble" is silly, because that applies to almost every single thing that happens in a match.

No one wants to ban Balotelli for life, even though if you hit someone with a flying knee to the back of the skull, you'd get in serious trouble too.

99x100xmiles.png.pagespeed.ic.jRuCVV77uF.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope Chiellini is a quick thinker and makes sure he gets a rabies shot. Looks nasty, even worse knowing where it came from.

I know Merseyside's rough, but surely...............

The calls are coming because it's the third time now. How many times does he have to do it before he is perhaps banned for life? (Or atleast it is seriously considered). Five? Eight? Fifteen? What ban should he recieve for this third time if not a lifetime ban?

It's disguting and has no place in society - do it once down your local pub without the safety net of a football stadium and you'd be in all sorts of trouble.

Personally, I think he has a serious mental problem that he needs help with, and it'd be best if could seek the help he needs without being in the glare of professional football.

You can't jump from a 7 to a 10 to a life time ban ffs. It isn't even vaguely proportionate there has to be a clear stepping stone process otherwise it's legitimacy is very questionable as it makes the decision and thus the process look irrational furthermore I think it would struggle to hold up legally with the removal of his livelihood and the questionable legitimacy of the process.

Just saw a short interview with him and he is as deluded as you would expect really. Total denial, and said he bumped into his shoulder, which happens in a crowded penalty box during set pieces. Ignoring that the ball was miles away and there were only two of them really, and of course that he BIT the guy - again.

He clearly has a mental problem of some sort or another. And getting away with horrendous tackles and bites isn't going to help solve it. He blames everybody but himself, and that will happen again, even if FIFA do the unexpected and punish him harshly. The way Liverpool dealt with that whole situation can't have helped at all, pampering him like that and blaming everybody but the perpetrator, but then again, he had already done similar things countless times in Ajax, so this was nothing new. And it will continue to happen unless he gets professional help and they somehow manage to help him out. But the most important thing right now is to get this vile scum out of the World Cup. There is no place for such behaviour on a football pitch, and if it had happened anywhere else in the public eye, he would be looking at very serious action against him.

What happened to Tyson now again? It's been so long now I don't recall, but he took a bite out of Holyfield's ear, which is the best comparison we have I guess. Except he only did it once, not three times ffs.

Are you talking about the tackles in that video? Very few were uniquely vicious it was dramatised to make a lot of them seem worse than they firstly actually were and secondly to suggest an intent which may not have been there. I also think that on the most part how Suarez has been treated is little different to what would have occurred at Man U or Arsenal to him for instance.

simpsons-mob-torches.jpg

Never change OTF, there's something awesome about the English lecturing the world on morality. :D

Post of the century :D

I also think that on the most part how Suarez has been treated is little different to what would have occurred at Man U or Arsenal to him for instance.

I think if he was at Man Utd the only difference would be Liverpool fans calling for lifetime bans rather than the Utd fans currently calling for it.

Also, I feel like he copped a lot more after Liverpool handled the Evra incident so appallingly.

Never change Divinity, where would we be without a clownshoes Australian piping up to decide to mock everybody when the general consensus goes against what you have been masturbating over!

I'm surprised you managed to post that without getting offended by it with each press of the keyboard and reporting yourself three times over. :thup:

Suárez should be punished, etc... but even Pelé has done bad things in a World Cup, like this in 1970 (vs Uruguay):

[video=youtube_share;UNbta4WzmNY]

No huge difference between elbowing on purpose and biting someone on purpose, although the former might look more 'manly'.

Well I didn't understand a word of that, but I agree with him whole-heartedly. Screw FIFA, and screw Lionel Messi, Dundee United, and the UK's illegal occupation of Islas Malvinas while we're at it.

Where did they find a working Sega Master System to run those analysis graphics?

Is it too soon to say HOF for this thread? Genuinely been guffawing throughout the 4 pages.

Obviously he deserves, and will get, a fine and ban. Going to be interesting to see how much bottle FIFA have dealing with this.

No huge difference between elbowing on purpose and biting someone on purpose, although the former might look more 'manly'.

Depends on your definition of huge. Now if you're trying to use Pele's elbow in 1970 as some sort of barometer for Suarez biting in 2014 I think you're out of luck.

to be fair, if I take a ball into the local bar, kick it as hard as I can at a doorway, and then take off my shirt and run at the corner screaming - I'd be in all sorts of trouble too. But that stuff happens all the time in matches.

This post is so incredibly stupid I laughed :applause:

Bq7FV9nCQAIdBKx.jpg

Chiellini will probably get punished more for that than Suarez does for the bite.

It'll be like the Matarazzi / Zidane thing ... Ooo what he said was soooo terrible. Was it terrorism, was it, was it. It was, wasn't it ... no, he said 'your Mum' like a kid in a playground :brock:

15 game international ban with 5 suspended on appeal so that it doubles up on his last ban. He will then miss the rest of the world cup, a bunch of friendlies and a couple of qualifiers and that should be it from FIFA.

FA should then unsuspend his remaining domestic games and that will be it with them.

Liverpool will fine him a weeks wage as some sort of faux outrage at his conduct and that will be it from them.

Then we all wait till he bites again.

“The worst of everything is the attitude of Chiellini,” Lugano said. “He’s a great player with an enormous status, but it doesn’t correspond with Italian football as sportsmen leaving the field, crying and appealing against a rival. As a man, he disappointed me totally. I had him as a reference point.

"You need to show me what happened because I didn’t see anything. Did you see it today or did you see what happened in other years? You couldn’t have seen it today because nothing happened.”

I think Lugano is a little bit confused about Italian football tbh :D

I like that Suarez is bringing out the best and most ridiculous reactions from Man United and Liverpool fans. Others as well, but mainly those two. Love him tbh.

He has surpassed even Balotelli in terms of entertainment value for the neutral.

At least a lot of you guys have something else to be mad at now, instead of the national team :D

I dont really see how the FA could unsuspend his ban, as his actions were not within their jurisdiction. I could be wrong tho. He isnt getting a life time ban or anything like that, there is no real precedent for a sanction like that, probably out of the world cup, and a lenthy international ban, but id really doubt it will be extended to domestic football.

Just hope FIFA don't bottle it. They can bottle it and give him a 4 match International ban (ruling him out of the rest of World Cup), or even just a longer ban that applies for International matches only. What should happen is either a 15-20 match ban for all 'competitive' games, so rules out International friendlies, across World Football, so it applies to games in England/UEAF, or just a 6 month ban (minimum) where he won't be playing football again till Jan 1st 2015 at the earliest.

Genuine question: why is biting seen as worse than a headbutt? I know I and most other people I imagine would rather be bitten slightly than headbutted! Why is it seen as worse?

A headbutt is less likely to draw blood. Besides most headbutts in football are little head bumps and nothing more.

Studs to the shin/thigh is even more likely to draw blood.

I'm not trying to condone his actions; he'll be banned and deservedly so. I'm just wondering why it's so outrageous (I also think it is but when I think about all the other **** that goes on on the pitch, I'm not sure why it should be seen as so much worse.)

15 game international ban with 5 suspended on appeal so that it doubles up on his last ban. He will then miss the rest of the world cup, a bunch of friendlies and a couple of qualifiers and that should be it from FIFA.

FA should then unsuspend his remaining domestic games and that will be it with them.

Liverpool will fine him a weeks wage as some sort of faux outrage at his conduct and that will be it from them.

Then we all wait till he bites again.

That's the key thing here.

I've now heard three different psychologists/psychiatrists on the way into work today all saying how this is hard wired into him, it's a natural reaction to him & something that cannot be fixed through merely talking to somebody.

If that's the case, do we just keep increasing the ban until he's banned for life by default?

Genuine question: why is biting seen as worse than a headbutt? I know I and most other people I imagine would rather be bitten slightly than headbutted! Why is it seen as worse?

Biting penetrates the skin and can pass on diseases, it is a totally different form of assault. I don't actually remember anyone being properly headbutted during a game either, they're usually just little coming together of heads which results in one being dramatic and rolling around on the floor. Obviously you can't use your head to harm another player so people are rightly sent off, but I don't remember anything being remotely as bad as say Ben Thatcher's elbow which was just full on assault.

I'm not trying to condone his actions; he'll be banned and deservedly do. I'm just wondering why it's so outrageous (I also think it is but when I think about all the other **** that goes on on the pitch, I'm not sure why it should be seen as so much worse.)

So what you're arguing is that biting should be more acceptable rather than headbutting less acceptable?

I'm not trying to condone his actions; he'll be banned and deservedly so. I'm just wondering why it's so outrageous (I also think it is but when I think about all the other **** that goes on on the pitch, I'm not sure why it should be seen as so much worse.)

Studs to the shin is more likely to be a consequence of trying to get the ball in a tackle. A bite is a conscious decision to be feral and bite someone.

I really dont think they could implement a ban like that, it would get challenged in court and most likely overturned, there is just too much money involved.

It's FIFA. The governing body of football, if they want to ban someone across multiple organisations they can. FA won't challenge it, neither will other FAs around the world. Only ones to possibly challenge such a ban would be Liverpool, and giving how much Suarez has dragged their name through the mud in recent years I very much doubt they'd want their name to be associated with such a act in such a bright light so would most likely accept whatever ban comes their way (like the last ban).

I was bitten on the leg when playing sport (either football/rugby, it was a while ago) at school. For an 11 year old to do it was seen as weird, for a man in his 20's to do it 3 times... Fwiw my reaction was similar to Chiellini, lash out then run off with the evidence :D

He clearly shouldn't play again until he has undergone a full, independent, psych assessment.

Archived