Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

Well, my save now turned into a "who's-able-to-score-more-from-free-kicks-or-corner-kicks contest" with no way to stop conceding this stuff. Not really funny. Hands up for me, I couldn't ever imagine to see something worse than FM13.

I'm really not encountering the same issue- I'm seeing goals from open play all the time. The game linked below is a 5-5 draw my team just played in- it doesn't matter which team we are. Ten goals, one of which was a penalty, with the other nine coming from open play (including one OG). None from corners. Admittedly the very first is after a deep free kick, but it's not as a direct result of the free kick- it could have been cleared away if someone had made a challenge.

http://charthero.com/southstneots.pkm

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually encountering that a lot. Goal from corner on second post, or after multiple ricochets because my defence is only able to clearence on opponents feet. Not even mentioning about stupid goalkeeping. Players in the box are just unmarked, the reactivity is low and basically I see silly behaviors.

Bonucci, my CB, litterally served a splendid assist heading the ball on Cavani's head instead of clearence on throw-in or conced a corner kick.

this is starting to get increasingly frustrating, player rounds keeper and defender, keeper is behind the striker, keeper suddenly stood there with the ball?

players on yellows doing stupid fouls.

and short passes are near impossible when players keep playing "hospital balls" or passes that are far too short, then suddenly a move of insanely good quality from all arial balls is created. it isn't consistant enough passing wise, seems silly top quality players with high passing stats not stringing passes together FREQUENTLY, then suddely you get a string of 5 long range ariel passes that stick to players like glue.

getting rather fed up of players not tackiling as well 2 players 1 just runs around a runner with the ball, leaving space behind, WHY.

beat wolves 3-2 they scored from a corner and a short played passback, keeper went the other way as well to boot, and nearly conceded another the exact same way. gets frustrating.

Well, my save now turned into a "who's-able-to-score-more-from-free-kicks-or-corner-kicks contest" with no way to stop conceding this stuff. Not really funny. Hands up for me, I couldn't ever imagine to see something worse than FM13.

I know you try to view it with an open mind Federico and judge it fairly but saying that FM13 was a poor ME and this one is worse is just plain wrong. 13's ME was the best SI have created and this one is at least on a par if not better and thats before we get more patches.

Reading between the lines I suspect the way you build tactics is flawed. I think you know what you want to do but that doesn't convert correctly into FM, hence some of your comments about different strategies. Have a read of the tactics forum in terms of strategies, roles & duties as I think your idea of what some of them are is different to what they actually do.

I have to say after a significant amount of time playing 14.2 I really agree with some of the criticisms. Such a vast majority of goals seem to come from set piece sloppiness or just plain awful defensive work. My enjoyment is really at an all time low.

This days i don't play FM that much. The only moment i do is when i play a lan game with a friend. Since we both updated the game to the latest version i started to see what is been talked, the zombie defense from player controlled teams, strikers scoring less and less, weird transfer offers, etc...

In 3 official games i did with my team i conceded 11 goals, with a actually good defense line. (way better then last season, and i didnt do that bad last season)

When it comes to offers, it's been pointed out that you need to negotiate players, but i must say that if you set a price for a player at 10M that is valuated for 6M it's not normal for you to receive bids of 4-5M. And, in this latest update if you negotiate them you will get at most a bid close to the value of player. (wasn't able to get a value above the fm value of the player, same happen to my friend in this save) That is NOT normal for your star players.

Watching this type of behavior i started to do some test saves to see what could be used to counter this situation and the results i got were unbelievable. I picked up a 11 close to the best possible, put it against a team like Real Madrid (without some of their star players that i put on my 11) and, whatever i did on the instructions of the team i would always be defeated (sometime by large amount of goals) we are talking players like Neuer, Varane, Marcelo, C. Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Aguero, etc... doing stupid mistakes. It's weird seeing a player like Messi having a behavior of a regional player, loosing balls like crazy and not being able to pass anyone!

Hope this get fixed! ;)

I just tried starting a new game and the only version available is 14.0. Does this mean I don't have the update or will the game update automatically? My brother installed the game before me so I am a secondary user on my brothers steam account, so I'm wondering if it won't allow me to use any updates for that reason?

i'm officialy done with this game till the corner- and own-goals-stupidity is solved. i have no problem if i lose the game when the opponent has played better or chosen the better tactic, but if you lose games (let's say most of the games) by conceding goals from corners, own goals from corners and other stupid stuff, then it's time to pull the plug and wait till the testers and SI recognize that it has to be solved!!!!! i want to manage a team and not looking for tweaks to prevent this bull.... from happaning..... and the best own goals are those, when your defender is acting like a double-agent and smashin the ball drogba-like into his own net...... :confused:

if this happens i get a weird feeling about the ME!!! then i think really??? you can do better SI!!!

let that sink in for a second. i lost the last two games 1-2 and 0-2, ALL!!! goals from corners and on top of that 3 (wonderful) own goals!!!!! SMH!!!

in my last post i criticized the so called "moaners", cause the ME bashing is way over the top, but if so many are witnessing the same and pointing at one special problem, it should be a indicator, for something being a bit off....

please guys notice it and do something about it, cause it gets annoying and kills the fun right now.

This is the number of times my team hit woodwork against different opponents in one season (I can provide screenshots if you want):

1, 0, 0, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 0, 1, 3, 3, 2, 0, 1, 0, 0, 2, 3, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1, 6, 1, 3, 3, 0, 0, 2, 1, 4, 2, 1, 0, 3, 1, 0, 1, 2, 0, 3, 2, 1, 3, 1, 1, 1, 3, 1, 1, 0, 5, 1, 1, 3.

That makes it 96 woodwork out of 63 matches with an average of 1.52 woodwork/match.

While According to statistic the highest number of times a premier league team hit woodwork in year:

2012/2013 Man Utd = 24 in 38 matches. Avg: 0.63 woodwork/match http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/20/2012-13-premier-league-in-numbers

2011/2012 Liverpool = 33 in 38 matches. Avg: 0.86 woodwork/match (And they were considered very unlucky already). In the same year the average number of times an EPL team hit woodwork is 15 per season. Avg: 0.39 woodwork/match http://thepowerofgoals.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-costly-was-woodwork-to-liverpool.html

As you can see my average is twice that of Liverpool in 11/12 season. I am using Barcelona team with slow tempo possession tactic, control mentality and all players are set to shoot less often, only my lone striker is allowed to dribble the ball while the rest are set to dribble less. Now, I am trying so hard not to blame ME and I expect mods and some wannabe tactical genius to explain to me, what is your recommendation for tactical tweaks to reduce the number of woodwork hit?

this is starting to get increasingly frustrating, player rounds keeper and defender, keeper is behind the striker, keeper suddenly stood there with the ball?

players on yellows doing stupid fouls.

and short passes are near impossible when players keep playing "hospital balls" or passes that are far too short, then suddenly a move of insanely good quality from all arial balls is created. it isn't consistant enough passing wise, seems silly top quality players with high passing stats not stringing passes together FREQUENTLY, then suddely you get a string of 5 long range ariel passes that stick to players like glue.

getting rather fed up of players not tackiling as well 2 players 1 just runs around a runner with the ball, leaving space behind, WHY.

beat wolves 3-2 they scored from a corner and a short played passback, keeper went the other way as well to boot, and nearly conceded another the exact same way. gets frustrating.

Sorry, short passing is not "impossible" just watch my video.

[video=youtube;UlpZn36CYRY]

So with all the doom and gloom around here I recorded some clips from my last game as I got some nice goals resulting from passing moves while trying out a new tactic. Last one was offside but it was nice so I included it.

Apologies for the quality, I can't upload direct to youtube as it won't let me sign in my account, hopefully you can still see what's going on. This is in the current ME and goes to show you can still create nice flowing moves.

This is the number of times my team hit woodwork against different opponents in one season (I can provide screenshots if you want):

1, 0, 0, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 0, 1, 3, 3, 2, 0, 1, 0, 0, 2, 3, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1, 6, 1, 3, 3, 0, 0, 2, 1, 4, 2, 1, 0, 3, 1, 0, 1, 2, 0, 3, 2, 1, 3, 1, 1, 1, 3, 1, 1, 0, 5, 1, 1, 3.

That makes it 96 woodwork out of 63 matches with an average of 1.52 woodwork/match.

While According to statistic the highest number of times a premier league team hit woodwork in year:

2012/2013 Man Utd = 24 in 38 matches. Avg: 0.63 woodwork/match http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/20/2012-13-premier-league-in-numbers

2011/2012 Liverpool = 33 in 38 matches. Avg: 0.86 woodwork/match (And they were considered very unlucky already). In the same year the average number of times an EPL team hit woodwork is 15 per season. Avg: 0.39 woodwork/match http://thepowerofgoals.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-costly-was-woodwork-to-liverpool.html

As you can see my average is twice that of Liverpool in 11/12 season. I am using Barcelona team with slow tempo possession tactic, control mentality and all players are set to shoot less often, only my lone striker is allowed to dribble the ball while the rest are set to dribble less. Now, I am trying so hard not to blame ME and I expect mods and some wannabe tactical genius to explain to me, what is your recommendation for tactical tweaks to reduce the number of woodwork hit?

I play with an Attack strategy and I found that my players shot from stupid angles and in stupid situations all the time. So I started experimenting with different measures to counter this problem, and I found Work Ball into Box to make matters even worse somehow. I then tried Lower Tempo and that helped a lot. I have of course set all players to shoot less, and the Play Out of Defence instruction appeared to help with the panicked clearances that caused the sustained pressure that in turn caused the players to fail at panicked clearances. Retain Possession seems to help break down defenses.

Once, I tried Work Ball into Box, Lower Tempo, Retain Possession and Play Out of Defence at the same time, and my team played rather intelligently - but personal mistakes and set pieces assured a high-scoring game nevertheless.

My question, then, is why I am supposed to heavily tweak a Very Fluid 4231 Attack tactic (Man.City/Chelsea type) to play normal attacking football instead of a gung-ho crazed, selfish shooting contest style paranoid panick-attack football where the players apparently have to get a goal (on their own) within 20 seconds or their family dies a horrible death? That was not what "Attack" meant in FM13, so why now? What is the point of applying a fluid philosophy if the players aren't going to adapt even a little bit to the situation?

Another question is if there is a role that does not have the Hold Up Ball instruction in the midfield even when set to Defend? A DLP with Less Risky Passes selected? Right now I have DMC-S x2 as holding midfielders but I find them a -little- too advanced and risk-willing. As DMC-D they are a -little- too defensive-minded and dwells on the ball too much. As MC-D they disrupt the space of my AMC's too much and dwells on the ball too much. A DMC-D + DMC-S partnership disrupts the space of either the AMRC or the AMLC and the other dwells on the ball too much.

Edit: A woodwork hit is a shot that misses the goal. That's my answer to your question.

Defensively, get someone marking the six yard box, and you immediately concede fewer.

I don't necceserily agree with that on corners, because if the opposition aim to the back post, they either score directly, or if their header is blocked/cleared, then they get a great chance to put the rebound in.

Regardless of defensive set up on corners, its near impossible to stop this happening.

I didn't play FM13, but I miss the Target Man Supply option. I know it's kinda replaced with team options, but it's not quite the same.

Do you feel the same about the way playmaker selection has changed?

I used a Target Man on an early save with Salisbury City and found that it did work, but I know that some people liked being able to designate a non Target Man as Target Man.

I don't necceserily agree with that on corners, because if the opposition aim to the back post, they either score directly, or if their header is blocked/cleared, then they get a great chance to put the rebound in.

Regardless of defensive set up on corners, its near impossible to stop this happening.

That *might* happen, if you just have one person marking the six yard box and everyone else up field, but I don't!

That *might* happen, if you just have one person marking the six yard box and everyone else up field, but I don't!

I don't have everyone upfield either :confused:

I have everyone back in defence for corners, yet still cannot resolve the same outcome, regardless of corner set ups.

I'm not on my own with this either.

That seems excessive. Was that season entirely played on the latest ME update?

The woodwork issue was only addressed in the last ME update (14.2.0).

Whilst I'm sure there isn't that much geographical variance between woodwork stats, are there any real life stats available for La Liga?

A possible consideration is that you are a very good side, with a relatively attacking mentality.

This means that you will by default in the final third a lot, and therefore in positions where lots of corners are forced, shots are peppered in, and free kicks are conceded. This isn't intended to discredit the stats you see, but to suggest some plausible reasons behind those stats.

If you believe it is a serious issue, consider uploading your save game and SI will be able to watch the games and woodwork hits back to form an official opinion.

I don't have everyone upfield either :confused:

I have everyone back in defence for corners, yet still cannot resolve the same outcome, regardless of corner set ups.

I'm not on my own with this either.

Not saying an issue doesn't exist, but I don't seem to be experiencing it to the extent that it is unrealistic.

What proportion of the goals you concede are from corners? Can you post a screen showing it?

After reading these two posts, it came in my mind something PaulC wrote some weeks ago.

So I started thinking it's the engine ruling over every tactic and not the opposite. At least the most of times. And if this is true it would explain many things, and would explain some frustration vented here by some users.

Dave you suggest to change approach. Ok, but let's figure out to play a big team. You are expected to dominate in the most of matches played versus smaller sides. How are you supposed to play? I'd suggest offensive and aggressive, so to score as soon as possible forcing the opponents to get out from their atomic shelter. This is not the only way though. There are matches where you need to be patient and work your opponents by the flanks.. but generally if its defence is weak, it is supposed to last 1 half maybe before collapsing. But what happens, the most of times, is seeing the big team storming their net, collecting corners after corners, with the ball bouncing everywhere but back of the net. You then concede 1 chance on counter, and they score. Maybe on corner kick.

Would you suggest to play slower, defensive and cautious? Not sure, I'm asking you. To me this is counter-productive.

If the intention was to improve AI counter for real, I'd say it was absolutely unecessary, and at this point pretty detrimental.

I had a tactic that I was really enjoying before 14.2 and after the patch, it was no longer as successful. Since then I have been trying tons of different tactical set ups to get a system that dominates possession with an attacking style and lots of pressing but in every save, there are matches where I am torn apart on the counter and I kept struggling to understand why. Now it makes sense and is seriously disappointing so I will stop playing Football Manager, at least for now.

I do not want to make changes to my tactical style for each opponent because I believe that there real-life managers who develop a style and try to impose that on the opposition no matter who it is and that is how I like to play but it is not successful any more.

At the end of the day, this is a game and everyone wants to get enjoyment from playing it, not frustration. I get enough of that in my everyday life and play a game to get away from it :)

Regards

Shiraz

Not saying an issue doesn't exist, but I don't seem to be experiencing it to the extent that it is unrealistic.

What proportion of the goals you concede are from corners? Can you post a screen showing it?

I can't post a screen as I'm away from my mac currently, but its a higher than usual percentage, which is why it highlights itself.

I remember reading through a thread on here before Christmas about the back post exploit from corners, and whenever the opposition use it, its near impossible to stop.

I wonder how many people have actually gone into set-piece instructions? I wasn't paticularly conceding an excessive amount from corners. I was scoring a fair few, But i had a very good taker for this level.

As a heads up, If you don't use the set-piece editor... The defending instructions for your players are all set to 'Mark Tallest Player' as default. This may be where you are seeing a problem.

Having players upfield means the other team can't commit all their players to the attacking corner.

I've tried many combinations, and cannot find a good balance.

My point isn't conceding from corners. Its conceding the same type of goal from corners.

My single biggest gripe with the ME is the corners, especially the defending of the corners, those silly headers that are directed right back into the box as an attempted clearance that end up with a volleyed goal, or effort. Outwith that i really enjoy this ME. Its challenging at times, and hugely rewarding when you get into it. I, for the first time ever, am using 3 separate tactics, all different, for different situations. I love how much more this game makes me think compared to previous versions. I love how the AI doesnt just get steam rolled all the time like it used to previously. The transfer market is great as well, if your brave, you can really profit from it.

My main gripes outwith the ME are the inability to arrange testimonials. I tried one in the second season that fell through, since then i have never been able to set up another one, the option is greyed out with no explanation why, and yes i have several players who are well past the 10 seasons now. The player interactions post season and pre-season are almost pointless and make no sense. I finished the season having won the league, told the players to come back and do the same next year, they agreed, in pre-season i said we were aiming for the title, and my team became unhappy because of lack of ambition, and unfortunately you cannot ignore these.

I updated and didn't regret it.

The reality is that the issues you mention exist, but some are less frequent than others, and some can be avoided.

Goalkeepers do some funky stuff, but it isn't, for me, regular enough to be an issue.

Goalkeeping distribution issues are avoided by playing short to defenders, and not to a specific player.

Corners are problematical from an attacking and defensive perspective, and again can be worked around.

Offensively, aim at Penalty Area and you'll see a huge reduction in corners played straight out of play.

Defensively, get someone marking the six yard box, and you immediately concede fewer.

Own goals were never, and have never, been an issue for me.

If what you said there works it just proved the current match engine has serious problem.

First of all, goalkeepers should have mistakes from time to time but not as frequent as it is currently and definitely not from good goalkeepers which i consider most goalkeepers in the premier league is good. And not to mentioned the kind of mistakes made by goalkeepers now is beyond amateur.

Goalkeeping distribution should not have issue based on distribution method alone. It should based on the goalkeeper and the receiving players quality.

Corners aiming at anywhere should have variable results based on the quality of the player taking the corner and the receiving player (best header and etc) and also the defending players around him.

Aiming at one area and you will produce a consistent result which difference from other area regardless of the quality of players and etc etc only further indicates a consistent problem/bug.

Again, same for having someone to always mark one specific area and can produce a consistent result difference from other area regardless of the opposition's corner tactic and the quality of the opposition team in the corner area further indicates a consistent problem/bug.

Lastly, the own goal issue is again beyond amateur in premier league.

I'm sure SI has aware of all these stupidities and has working hard on it.

I know you try to view it with an open mind Federico and judge it fairly but saying that FM13 was a poor ME and this one is worse is just plain wrong. 13's ME was the best SI have created and this one is at least on a par if not better and thats before we get more patches.

Reading between the lines I suspect the way you build tactics is flawed. I think you know what you want to do but that doesn't convert correctly into FM, hence some of your comments about different strategies. Have a read of the tactics forum in terms of strategies, roles & duties as I think your idea of what some of them are is different to what they actually do.

Stating FM13 was the best created by SI puts you in a different universe of opinions, according to mine :) To me it was barely enjoyable only after the last patch. Anyways....

I'm achieving, what exactly made you suspect my tactics are flawed? I regularly dominate my league, won 1 CL, 1 WC and various minor trophies. I read somewhere, someone stated that you have to create a tactic having sense if you want to win in this edition especially. I think I did. So I can't see what's wrong with my tactics :)

Ah no wait.. if somebody moans, it's because of his tactic! Sorry I forgot this hehe! Thanks for your advice ;)

I do not want to make changes to my tactical style for each opponent because I believe that there real-life managers who develop a style and try to impose that on the opposition no matter who it is and that is how I like to play but it is not successful any more.

Shiraz

Well... this is pretty what every manager does IRL. Mourinho stated, when managing Inter Milan, he had to set 3 different tactics along 1 match only to counter the opponents. At least this is what happens in italian league.

That seems excessive. Was that season entirely played on the latest ME update?

The woodwork issue was only addressed in the last ME update (14.2.0).

Whilst I'm sure there isn't that much geographical variance between woodwork stats, are there any real life stats available for La Liga?

A possible consideration is that you are a very good side, with a relatively attacking mentality.

This means that you will by default in the final third a lot, and therefore in positions where lots of corners are forced, shots are peppered in, and free kicks are conceded. This isn't intended to discredit the stats you see, but to suggest some plausible reasons behind those stats.

If you believe it is a serious issue, consider uploading your save game and SI will be able to watch the games and woodwork hits back to form an official opinion.

Thanks, I appreciate a moderator acknowledging the issue. Yes, it is played with latest patch, although SI mentions that the freekick aimed too near to the bar has been reduced, it is not the case. I use EPL stats as it is where you find high tempo game attacking game instead of La Liga where teams mostly played possession based technical football. Yes, I am a very good side where in a season I can score more than 125 goals in a league alone. I remember Real Madrid IRL broke the records for goals scored 2 seasons ago with 120+ goals a season but the woodwork rate is not even close. I will not even try to find out the fact because, well, 1.5 is way out of this world. I do not made this up btw. So? Is it my tactic? A lot of users have already complained about it but still no acknowledgement from moderator.

To add on to my tactic description, yes i use work into the box, play put of defence, short passing, retain possession. I do not believe that control mentality is an overly attacking mentality but still I managed to register more than 25-30 shots against middle to lower table teams and 15-25 shots against upper table teams. Yes, the long shots are not a problem anymore.

I love possession football and love the way barcelona played under guardiola but there is no way that great barca side registered 1.5 woodwork per game with often more than 20 shots per game. And they were always an attacking or at least a control mentality team. When I read the reply to the people who complain about this, i am under impression that playing attacking football will result in inefficient play and shots being hammered and also lead to 1one1 chance being easily missed. I can go on but i will not. I will just keep on tweaking the tactic and sacrifice my philosophy to bring down the shots and woodwork.

Why does almost every highlight exist of a winger attempting to cross, the defender blocking it out for a corner! I hardly ever see a successful cross in a highlight. It's such boring ME to watch...

Posted in a different thread but i guess its worth to mention here, seems really hard to sign players as a bundesliga team even as Bayern, is there an issue with Bundesliga rep?

For example, with Bayern Muchen, i cant even compete for some players based in Brazil, even Netherlands, for example a short list of 30 players 7 (4 from inside bundesliga) are interested,

examples : Dória doesnt want even talk with me but signed for Benfica -_-

Zivkovic from Groeningen: same

argentinians like Lucas Romero, Vietto, Silva: same...

i can list plenty of them and most are coming from lower rep clubs in a lower rep competition

My single biggest gripe with the ME is the corners, especially the defending of the corners, those silly headers that are directed right back into the box as an attempted clearance that end up with a volleyed goal, or effort. Outwith that i really enjoy this ME. Its challenging at times

This, is exactly the point I was trying to make. Surely this is not down to any sort of tactical difiency on my/our part, and is surely a bug?

This, is exactly the point I was trying to make. Surely this is not down to any sort of tactical difiency on my/our part, and is surely a bug?

I dont think there is anything you can really do to determine the direction of a header tactically. I think its the part of the ME that needs most work at the moment, the player should never attempt to head it back that way, if the player can reach the ball, he should always be looking to head it out, or any direction but back into the 6 yard box. Yes it should happen from time to time, because its football, but not with the regularity it happens at the moment. If they sort that out then ill struggle to find another big issue with the ME. Well that along with the high number of corners in the first place, which can lead to this issue being bigger than it really is.

The player interactions post season and pre-season are almost pointless and make no sense. I finished the season having won the league, told the players to come back and do the same next year, they agreed, in pre-season i said we were aiming for the title, and my team became unhappy because of lack of ambition, and unfortunately you cannot ignore these.

You can. Do what I do and holiday to the next day. Not sure if it forces the assistant to take it instead, but at least I don't have to get annoyed by the stupidity of it.

I dont think there is anything you can really do to determine the direction of a header tactically. I think its the part of the ME that needs most work at the moment, the player should never attempt to head it back that way, if the player can reach the ball, he should always be looking to head it out, or any direction but back into the 6 yard box. Yes it should happen from time to time, because its football, but not with the regularity it happens at the moment. If they sort that out then ill struggle to find another big issue with the ME. Well that along with the high number of corners in the first place, which can lead to this issue being bigger than it really is.

Spot on.

100% this needs toning down in the next patch, or a quick fix would be best, if the new patch is going to be Feb/March.

I never said short passing is impossible just seeing far to many passes that are far too short.

I've noticed this too - misplaced passes are fine, but I'd rather they were wide or overhit. It looks a little daft when a player attempts a five yard pass and it goes three yards and stops, like he has the ball on a string.

It's actually quite funny when you think about it - when defending corners/set pieces, the times it should be put out for a corner the defender will head it back into the middle, but when there is time and space to clear a header, they'll usually head it back over their own bar for a corner (even from as far out as the penalty spot).

As always I think a lot of it is just down to decision making and composure.

Spot on.

100% this needs toning down in the next patch, or a quick fix would be best, if the new patch is going to be Feb/March.

I cannot imagine it is a quick fix unfortunately, its most likely a combination of things happening, as it doesnt happen every single time, which probably means its one of those that are slightly harder to eradicate. Fingers crossed tho!

• SI Staff
Posted in a different thread but i guess its worth to mention here, seems really hard to sign players as a bundesliga team even as Bayern, is there an issue with Bundesliga rep?

For example, with Bayern Muchen, i cant even compete for some players based in Brazil, even Netherlands, for example a short list of 30 players 7 (4 from inside bundesliga) are interested,

examples : Dória doesnt want even talk with me but signed for Benfica -_-

Zivkovic from Groeningen: same

argentinians like Lucas Romero, Vietto, Silva: same...

i can list plenty of them and most are coming from lower rep clubs in a lower rep competition

This is something we have got logged and it is being investigated.

Cheers,

Ben

It's actually quite funny when you think about it - when defending corners/set pieces, the times it should be put out for a corner the defender will head it back into the middle, but when there is time and space to clear a header, they'll usually head it back over their own bar for a corner (even from as far out as the penalty spot).

I know what you mean, 9 times out of 10 the header the player actually makes is far harder than the better option. Flicking the ball off the top of your head and out for a throw in or corner is much easier than re-directing a ball coming at you with pace cushioned back into the six yard box!! It will definitely be a composure/decisions/heading attribute combination, good luck to PaulC figuring it out!

I know what you mean, 9 times out of 10 the header the player actually makes is far harder than the better option. Flicking the ball off the top of your head and out for a throw in or corner is much easier than re-directing a ball coming at you with pace cushioned back into the six yard box!! It will definitely be a composure/decisions/heading attribute combination, good luck to PaulC figuring it out!

I've seen it in the top leagues with top players, and in the lower leagues, with lower rating players too, so its a problem throughout.

Yeah but some of it is also clearly a pattern. Like the one mentioned where the back post guy will head it back towards the penalty spot - this happens with different players in different situations but in exactly the same manner.

Truth is there will always be some sort of set piece exploit/weakness as long as the whole set piece part is so scripted towards certain patterns. It needs more variety - the guy at that back post should have a more complicated thought process than a simple either/or calculation. When he decides to keep it in play it should be possible for it to end up absolutely anywhere instead of going to the same spot almost every time. That way we wouldn't see the same play appear game after game with different personnel and set ups. I realise this is difficult to program, but it is a significant shortcoming that gets highlighted every year with every patch, albeit in different guises.

I do hope there's a new update. This last one had made the game frustrating and silly.

I just get annoyed that about 85% of all goals I concede are stupid unfootball like errors.

A long ball where my players watch then goalkeeper appears to get down on one knee and it bounces past him about 3 yards from him, a defender runs back to clear a ball then stops and the opposition run in and score. A shot going very wide and the goalkeeper scoops it back in towards the goal. The constant ping pong crosses/corners where the ball is bouncing off of everyone then finally rolls back a player standing there on the line. Ball going very wide and someone clears it back into the area Etc...

The amount of times I hit the cross bar is annoying too. Still at least my team don't hit the crossbar with every free kick. It's just now every free kick my team gives away from within a yard or two of the D goes in. Has anyone ever seen their own team save a penalty that isn't a shootout? Never wide, over, woodwork or saved.

I am getting very frustrated with players coming to a halt. One on one then suddenly your player stops for a moment to let the striker go past for a free shot. Kick off and the two players involved I've seen on a couple of occasions either fall over or kick ball against each other and lose it.

One more big hate which I'd like to know if it happens to other is...

When you've got a corner and it's cleared, say you've got two players on the half way line and they have 1 striker. the ball is hit long and high, one of your defenders could easily get to it but stands & watches whilst a player from the penalty area runs half the length of pitch to claim it and break, out smarting a defender who is no more than 15 yards from it.

On a more random note does anyone ever seen random stuff on the pitch? Like I've seen physio's walking across the pitch and the other day I saw what appeared to be water bottles in a holder sitting in the penalty area.

Well... this is pretty what every manager does IRL. Mourinho stated, when managing Inter Milan, he had to set 3 different tactics along 1 match only to counter the opponents. At least this is what happens in italian league.

I do not believe that this is what Guardiola did at Barcelona. One example comes to mind of Barcelona vs Chelsea in the Champions League Semi-Final and although they lost, they were largely successful playing this style during his tenure. Also, I may be wrong, but it seems like Bielsa has a system and plays that way against all teams.

I do not mind making small tweaks like OI's or changing strategy.

Regards

Shiraz

Archived