Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

I agree this game needs some work, but give them an opportunity to make it right. Every game ive played has needed tweaking. This is a very complicated and complex game as I read one of the moderators state. I am giving it a few day break and I have optimism the SI team will right the ship. Constructive critisism is whats really needed with pkms and proof of the issues. They will fix it.

Most of us agree.

I think what happens is that people go overboard in either direction. One wants to protect the game at the cost of denying real issues. Other want to attack the game to an unfair degree.

I've been guilty of both in different situations. It's human nature.

For the most part though. The criticism has been constructive.

1) Too many shots

2) Defense not really trying

3) Bad finishing from strikers

4) Ineffective CAM's

5) Too many corner goals

We've done a good job of reiterating these issues.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been a member of this forum for a decade and it never ceases to amaze me how every single year I'll come on here and read how [insert previous version] was better than the newly released version. Nostalgia, gotta love it.

You know why, because the game on release is rushed and incomplete.

Though there are many complains as of now, as expected, we know fm 14 is going to be a awesome game by next year March when all patches are out. Most likely by patch 14.3.

When FM 15 comes out, as usual with the unplayable bugs its gonna come up with, they will go how fm 14 is the best FM ever. Rince and repeat year on year.

I gotta thank those who bought it early though. Guinea pigs. Im enjoying fm 13 though. Can't wait for March next year to get the full version of fm 14. Gonna be awesome.

Most of us agree.

I think what happens is that people go overboard in either direction. One wants to protect the game at the cost of denying real issues. Other want to attack the game to an unfair degree.

I've been guilty of both in different situations. It's human nature.

For the most part though. The criticism has been constructive.

1) Too many shots

2) Defense not really trying

3) Bad finishing from strikers

4) Ineffective CAM's

5) Too many corner goals

We've done a good job of reiterating these issues.

I would agree with that. Missing one thing however and i think fixing those things and a few others will fix this....Ratings for players. Right now you must score a goal or an assist to get above a 7.0

LOL I just went back to playing fm13. Hadnt played it for around two months. The ME in 14 is leaps and bounds better than 13...not even a real comparison. I feel once the few issues stated just recently are tweaked this will be a fantastic improvement. If you havent played 13 in awhile you should go back and visit. Will improve your vision of what 14 can and hopefully will be

greedy AI transfer, very expensive at selling, fookin cheap, worse than uncle Scrooge, when bidding my players. PSG is interested buying Fabio Quagliarella in beginning second season. his value is 6 million pound, PSG always comes at max 4.7 million pound. i negotiate to 6 million pound, PSG withdraw. what strange is I offered him to all clubs at 6 million pound sale value. Man City, United, and PSG come. but PSG agree with 6 million pound.

I think AI to self initiate self bidding is foookin cheap.

Stopped playing now,the CAM and striker/inside forwards are just not functioning properly. Happy with the full backs though having seen a countless no. of complaints abt them. Defenders also seem okay to me,just back off too much sometimes but that does not make it unplayable. Only thing that makes it that is,the countless no of shots

from outside the box and creative midfielders really have no influence on the game,not enough clever passes to put runners in behind,Just hopeless shots into Row Z. And ofcourse the goalkeeper reflexes i talked about before. Waiting for a timely update!

Without the upgrade does not make sense to play on.

Main issues:

- Passive defense

- Too many corner kicks and goals on them

- Preservation of goalkeepers

- Excessive prices when buying the player (eg buying player worth one million euro and often have to pay 40 million to want to sell it).

Completely disagreed.

And why is that? I was playing with the same tactics with some adjustments on the instructions on different games,I have played more than 55 games,at the end of the

first season. My formation familiarity is just competent. 22/100 or something. You're telling me thats normal?

disagree. I use Ozil as CAM with Enganche role in my 4-2-3-1 formation. now I'm in Dec 2013 and he's scored 10 goals and made 7 assists already from 16(2) appearances.

Stopped playing now,the CAM and striker/inside forwards are just not functioning properly. Happy with the full backs though having seen a countless no. of complaints abt them. Defenders also seem okay to me,just back off too much sometimes but that does not make it unplayable. Only thing that makes it that is,the countless no of shots

from outside the box and creative midfielders really have no influence on the game,not enough clever passes to put runners in behind,Just hopeless shots into Row Z. And ofcourse the goalkeeper reflexes i talked about before. Waiting for a timely update!

Brazil is soon to be a non-football country in my game. I load all leagues as view-only and I have noticed that the Brazilian leagues have no youth intakes. Anyone alse noticed this?

There's also another bug on the transfer screen for competetions in general as you have to select another category before choosing youth intake again. Just choosing youth intake shows no players. Selecting another category and then back to youth intakes show the players.

so far I'm satisfied with my game, using database 14.1.3 now. yes, the number of shots are a bit high, but same goes to AI team. there were a lot of shots hitting post/bar in BETA, but it has reduced quite a lot with current database. I have not encountered problem with CAM not working properly or not having much influence in the game yet as my CAM (Ozil, Wilshere,cazorla or sometime Podolski) has all played very well in that position. and of course their role in that position differs with their attributed.

I understand the frustration of some of us here, but I think we should give the team some time to try to fix genuine problems and have a look at the other complaints too. it's a try complicated game, and they've done very well IMO.

thanks SI and hope you guys enjoy your game, cause I am.have good day! :)

And why is that? I was playing with the same tactics with some adjustments on the instructions on different games,I have played more than 55 games,at the end of the

first season. My formation familiarity is just competent. 22/100 or something. You're telling me thats normal?

What are your training settings?

Suarez scored 14 goals in 28 first season för me. 4 Penalties, 9 rebounds and 1 long shot. He missed every 1 on 1 or open shot. A total of 140 shot atempts. So he hidn't lack opportunities. But I guess it my tactic that is broken.

Suarez scored 14 goals in 28 first season för me. 4 Penalties, 9 rebounds and 1 long shot. He missed every 1 on 1 or open shot. A total of 140 shot atempts. So he hidn't lack opportunities. But I guess it my tactic that is broken.

Probably not, but have you tried tinkering with his role/individual instructions to see if you can improve on that?

Somebody could probably tell you what works best for him.

It's an incorrect sentence though; the AI is never favoured as the game does not differentiate between human and AI players.

I don't buy it. How come the forum is filled with posts like "my team has 30 shots on goal, the opponent has 4, yet I lose 2-1"? I am in my 4th season now, and this happened to me at least 4-5 times since 14.1.3 came out.

Probably not, but have you tried tinkering with his role/individual instructions to see if you can improve on that?

Somebody could probably tell you what works best for him.

I've tried most roles. He seem to work best when i keep him away "from goal" in a deep lying role/ false 9. Does everyting right until the shot. Well with a bit of tweaking on this issue, the free-kicks, the fullbacks, the ratings and the corners, I think we should have the best FM yet.

I don't buy it. How come the forum is filled with posts like "my team has 30 shots on goal, the opponent has 4, yet I lose 2-1"? I am in my 4th season now, and this happened to me at least 4-5 times since 14.1.3 came out.

Because that is the nature of this thread every single year.

People remember the games they lose in these situations, but not the ones they win.

If people are losing repeatedly in this manner, then it is unquestionably a tactical issue.

Your sample appears to not be tactical as it equates to just one hard to take defeat per season, which I'd say is pretty good going.

I have noticed something about tactics familiarity that may or may not be a bug. Same as last year I set up one main tactic and the two others with extreme settings both ways (narrow/wide, short/direct etc) all same formation so in theory when I change during the game the team would be much more familiar with whatever change. With most bars at atleast 75% familiarity on all 3, I changed something in the main tactic: added a number of instructions that were present in the other two. Passing, tempo and width all went to down around 20% familiarity. The tactics were with different mentality, the one with short passing was attacking and the main tactic where I introduced short passing was standard. A bit drastic in my opinion but might be intentional. Just thought I'd bring it up.

Ok I've played Beta for 1.5 seasons with Man United and Full version across half a season updating intermittently to new patches.

Fullbacks - Same complaint. I've noticed my entire defence is prone to making sliding challenges in useless positions. Also keeper rushing out but then De Gea so I don't blame SI.

English players are impossible. I could have bought James Ward Prowse for 26 Mill, Ross Barkley for 24 Mill. But instead I bought Lucas Romero from Argentina for 5. I could've bought Luke Shaw for 16 Mill but instead I bought Balanta for 6. My suggestion would be either to make Scouting harder, or go for more agent buys. I noticed buying Brazilian talent is hard given agent ownership and that accurately reflects reality too.

Chelsea's youth team - Still overpowered, I consider myself an informed footie fan but surely Musonda, Boga, etc etc are not that superior

Too many set piece goals - In my Beta, Chris Smalling was second for PL top scorers. In Full version WITHOUT any specific routine, Vidic is scoring 3-4 goals a month. Also, I concede at the near post from a corner all the time. I have men on the post, I mark the 6 yard box, I bring everyone behind, but can't help it.

Assistant Managers and Directors of Football are poor - I've tried Round, Tassotti, Demichelis, Meulensteen for AssMan and Corvino, Kershaw, Beenhakker for DoF. AssMans always don't care for Scouting Reports. Round only prepares Attacking Set Pieces. Their individual training ideas are absurd at times.

DoF's agreed a deal for 16 mill for Julian Brandt. I mean he's worth 1.1. I manage to sell Anderson for 11.25-11.5 while my DoF can't sell him for 5. Though I must say they are better than getting contract extensions sorted than me.

Away games are too unrealistic, fair enough blame tactics but in the middle of summer against a team languishing 20th in the table, its very irritating to see them score like this - Winger stretches games, fullback just watches him glide past or does nothing to stop cross. Striker runs at near post, central defenders, who are instructed to drop deeper, are almost at edge of box leading to free point blank header into near side of goal. When my striker gets a header at near post he heads it dead centre of goal into the goalkeeper.

I haven't played enough of FM14 to comment, but certainly the same complaints were around this time last year, and my personal experience was that this happened to my benefit much more often than to the AI's. Which can only lead me to the conclusion that usually, it is your tactics.

Because people don't go on the forum saying how happy they are. It just doesn't work that way. People come on here to complain.

Because that is the nature of this thread every single year.

People remember the games they lose in these situations, but not the ones they win.

If people are losing repeatedly in this manner, then it is unquestionably a tactical issue.

Your sample appears to not be tactical as it equates to just one hard to take defeat per season, which I'd say is pretty good going.

I did not make myself clear. I had already completed my first three season with the previous versions, as I started my first season as soon as BETA was released. so, these "too many shots but no goals" and "AI's conversion rate much higher than the player's" problems started occurring in my last season, and so far I had played a total of only 11 games in that season.

I haven't played enough of FM14 to comment, but certainly the same complaints were around this time last year, and my personal experience was that this happened to my benefit much more often than to the AI's. Which can only lead me to the conclusion that usually, it is your tactics.

No, mate. I had used the same tactics for three seasons, and the match stats did not involve my team hitting at least 30 shots per game. this started happening only after version 14.1.3 came out. same team, same tactic, different statistics. I am aware that selecting the "be more expressive" option increases the number of shots taken, but being expressive should not solely mean "hit the ball as soon as you enter the last third of the opponent's half".

• SI Staff
Why do tactic familiarity go down at the end of the season and have to be built up again if using the same system?

Tactical familiarity drops a bit during the holidays simply because the players are away from training but also if new players are brought in and old players transferred out, this will reduce the team tactica familiarity as well.

Tactical familiarity drops a bit during the holidays simply because the players are away from training but also if new players are brought in and old players transferred out, this will reduce the team tactica familiarity as well.

Thanks, I had a feeling it was due to this although I was thinking it seemed a bit drastic in my game due to the number of transfers in/out. I'll take another look at it though.

Mightily impressed by the overall 'piece of work' created by SI here. Undoubtedly the biggest and most complex MGMT simulation yet.

However, as a FM advocate since the very early days (Champ Manager Italia etc), feel compelled to flag up what strikes me as the latest version's most salient failing: the standard of its overall visual presentation.

What do I mean by this?

- blocky, arial-ish, Windows 98 fonts (I swear even earlier Champs had superior, more visually pleasing type-faces?)

- far too many different font sizes on a page (genuinely quite ugly in places)

- confusing visual information hierarchies (so much information on a page, goes against everything we know about effective information design)

- a colour scheme that really needs a severe semiotic 'once over' (Slightly surprised a design team would even sign this off?)

- jarring windows, super-impositions (the match day experience is a good example of this), images over images (with transparent effects) - disrupting visual continuity. Weird.

Perhaps most difficult-to-explain is the emphasis the new default skin places on visual assets (logos, player pics, kits) that the game - out of the box - is unable to deliver because of rights restrictions. Now, I understand that some will quickly download face packs etc, but I would hazard a guess that your most mainstream user/player will never get near that kind of tinkering/'bolting on'. By this I mean, the FM population who will never see this post (must be upwards of 60%?).

This last point leaves you with a game that, 'out of the box', looks empty of life and visually 'generic' (the dark silhouettes or genericised team logos). All of this makes the decision to remove the 'disable player photos' option even more inexplicable. I presume the dev team play the game 'kitted out to the max' with add-ons, unlicensed images etc and perhaps lost sight of this issue?

I will end this monologue here (there is more that could be said around the match engine presentation I think), but just wanted to make a point that I feel is valid. This is a wonderful game, but increasingly it looks like one that needs a touch of aesthetic love to match its formidable engineering. With a brand this size, I would presume SI are using a infographics expert, a semiotician, a visual identity guru...If they are, these people need to make themselves heard a little more in dev meetings!

I guess its maybe just me, but im loving this version of FM. I can live with too many shots as it doesnt really lead to unrealistic score lines, i can also live with a few extra goals here and there. Its probably a perception thing, but since the ratings have been sorted ive been a lot happier with the defensive side of things, and scoring wise i dont seem to be missing many one on ones or anything like that, my only gripe would be there are not enough crosses at times. AI transfer has been good for me, although i think i came across a small bug, Liverpool actually gave me £5M for Robinhio, that must be something for SI to look at, no one in their right mind would pay money for him. Played my first network game at the weekend, and whilst it can be a big laggy its good fun playing against a human player, although who at SI thought it was a good idea to let people edit other peoples finances?! What a screw up that is!! We had to kick 2 people out of our server and change it to have a password because two different people came in and edited their finances to give them huge sums of money. That was really poorly thought out guys, you really need to sort that out!

Unfortunately the Bugs Forum is being over run with chat, which greatly reduces our capacity for dealing with issues so I'll re post this here in the hope people will get the message :)

"Let's get this straight.

This forum has specific posting guidelines, please read them before posting.

This is NOT a discussion forum, you do that in the appropriately named General Discussion.

The main reason for this is that we need to track each individuals reports so we can keep them informed and also get any further info the Devs might need.

Note, the guidelines clearly state that bug reports almost always need supporting evidence in the form of saves, PKM's etc, if the Devs can't reproduce a bug they generally can't fix it. So if you're not prepared to provide that info don't post here.

Threads/posts that don't comply will be deleted or moved to a more appropriate forum.

Hope that clarifies things."

I'll be able to give feedback when the editor is fixed :( It's got nearly as many problems as last year, really wanna get into the game but want to play in Trinidad :(

Perhaps most difficult-to-explain is the emphasis the new default skin places on visual assets (logos, player pics, kits) that the game - out of the box - is unable to deliver because of rights restrictions. Now, I understand that some will quickly download face packs etc, but I would hazard a guess that your most mainstream user/player will never get near that kind of tinkering/'bolting on'. By this I mean, the FM population who will never see this post (must be upwards of 60%?).

This last point leaves you with a game that, 'out of the box', looks empty of life and visually 'generic' (the dark silhouettes or genericised team logos). All of this makes the decision to remove the 'disable player photos' option even more inexplicable. I presume the dev team play the game 'kitted out to the max' with add-ons, unlicensed images etc and perhaps lost sight of this issue?

I suppose SI have the number of people who actively play the game and the number of people active on the forums and could compare them to see if it is worthwhile displaying the game this way. Assuming the majority on the forums download graphics.

I wouldn't enjoy the game as much without the graphical mods.

Archived