Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do wingbacks sit so narrow? I'm having a hard time keeping them wider (since the defend wider slider was taken away).

EDIT: As a side note I still think defensive positioning is an issue in the ME.

Cheers.

Edited by macca72

11 hours ago, macca72 said:

Why do wingbacks sit so narrow? I'm having a hard time keeping them wider (since the defend wider slider was taken away).

EDIT: As a side note I still think defensive positioning is an issue in the ME.

Cheers.

I don't have an issue with them sitting narrow in my saves. What width are you playing on? The attacking width will impact your team defensively as well. CWB is the most attacking wingback there is, they'll roam but if you want a total football wingback that might be a place to experiment. 

There are defensive issues at the ME, it's always like this w/a new edition of FM. They will iron out a few things in the coming patches. 

Le 17/11/2023 à 21:40, Poison a dit :

@Batigoal__ You are looking for simply more direct /slightly more direct passing? They attempt them but it takes time and cohesion too, I think the limitation isn't there from what I've seen so far.

Thanks @Poison for your reply. More direct passes, yes, which are played on the ground and not over the lines, while maintaining a fairly short game.
The BDP must keep in mind that its passing game must be short but direct, with passing intentions in sniper mode. 

Edited by Batigoal__

Hi guys, after losing the ball, how does the ME calculates when it's time to move from the transition phase, and stop to counterpress (when this TI Is selected) to the out of possession phase, when players should start to come back in their defensive shape?

Is it calculated in seconds?

In number of passes made by the opponent?

Or maybe is it based on when the line of engagement is crossed (determined by the height of the chosen defensive block)?

Edited by Fox-7-

DM-S or BWM-S.. 

they might seem like similar roles but they are not if deployed on the midline.
Which of the two roles can be closest to an SV? or in any case which advances and proposes itself more forward in the field?

At his side he has a DLP-So with Hold Position.

PS:I see only that BWM has default "go forward" in red, so i think that he will do this action with very low frequency than DM.

Edited by Mik_Fe

If I want to improve specific attributes of a player should I only train those in 'additional focus' without position/role/duty training? e.g. if I wanted to improve mostly Pace and Acceleration of a striker would it be better to only train Quickness in 'additional focus' without an Advanced Forward position/role/duty training?

Any idea how to make this tactic better ? 

image.png.0049e9b4becf92023d6b8e1f979a1b63.png

We are struggling against team who like to keep the ball (Man City, Atalanta and Marseille recently). We are not playing badly but not creating a lot of good xG.

Edit : Replace the tactic picture and added my XI to it.  

Edited by CRN711

7 hours ago, CRN711 said:

Any idea how to make this tactic better ? 

image.png.0049e9b4becf92023d6b8e1f979a1b63.png

We are struggling against team who like to keep the ball (Man City, Atalanta and Marseille recently). We are not playing badly but not creating a lot of good xG.

Edit : Replace the tactic picture and added my XI to it.  

Think you'll need to start your own thread, I would look to simplify roles/TIs.

17 minutes ago, tropicsafc said:

Apologies if this has been covered-

Has anyone tried the IWB/IFB with 2 DM's? Intrigued by the effect that may have on their positioning.

Here's a link to a comprehensive guide on positional play changes for FM24, including how the IWB/IFB work:

Edited by Cloud9

What is better for a youth player developing on loan?

1. Loaning to a top team from the second tier -> expect higher match ratings but weaker level of competition
  2. Loaning to a bottom team from the top tier -> expect lower match ratings but stronger level of competition

7 hours ago, kingjericho said:

What is better for a youth player developing on loan?

1. Loaning to a top team from the second tier -> expect higher match ratings but weaker level of competition
  2. Loaning to a bottom team from the top tier -> expect lower match ratings but stronger level of competition

Number 1.

un19.thumb.png.98c623234713c8ad2999d53a5f30e75c.png

I'm just curious as its a first time I am seeing this. Under 19- B team? Has anyone had to deal with this at any other clubs. Maritimo da Madeira has it. Is this like for under-19 players who are not good enough to make regular under-19 squad? What do you guys use it for? 

I am currently fascinated by this little Portuguese club (from Cristiano Ronaldo's home island too!) mainly because it seems to be a great low-league club to do a youth academy challenge. It's rare to find a non-elite club with a functioning B team (in an actual competitive league) and not one BUT two under-19 teams. 

Edited by crusadertsar

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

I'm just curious as its a first time I am seeing this. Under 19- B team? Has anyone had to deal with this at any other clubs. Maritimo da Madeira has it. Is this like for under-19 players who are not good enough to make regular under-19 squad? What do you guys use it for? 

I am currently fascinated by this little Portuguese club (from Cristiano Ronaldo's home island too!) mainly because it seems to be a great low-league club to do a youth academy challenge. It's rare to find a non-elite club with a functioning B team (in an actual competitive league) and not one BUT two under-19 teams. 

I haven't seen that yet either, but my club does have two assistant managers this year which is a first for me.

Madeira has a famous big wave break, maybe the B Team are splitting their time when the surf is good :) 

21 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

I haven't seen that yet either, but my club does have two assistant managers this year which is a first for me.

Madeira has a famous big wave break, maybe the B Team are splitting their time when the surf is good :) 

Hahaha what a great place to play football indeed :lol: . But now looking at it anew, it's actually quite ingenious. Having 2 under-19 teams = more game time for youngsters before they can move up to B Team.  When you only have one under-19 team it tends to get quite packed after a few good youth intakes where some of your youths might spend more time on the bench. 

Edited by crusadertsar

12 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Hahaha what a great place to play football indeed :lol: . But now looking at it anew, it's actually quite ingenious. Having 2 under-19 teams = more game time to youngsters before they can move up to B Team.  When you only have one under-19 team it tends to get quite packed after a few good youth intakes where some of your youths might spend more time on the bench. 

Portugal seems to have youth development locked down. This was an interesting Athletic article on Benfica's academy you might be interested in!

https://theathletic.com/4197161/2023/02/15/benfica-academy-inside-joao-felix/

10 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

I know that some clubs in switzerland has U19-B teams but never played with them myself.

I always love to have many B/C/II etc as possible so this is a great find(might have missed it when I dabbled in Portugal in the PGE)

44 minutes ago, HurkaDurk69 said:

I know that some clubs in switzerland has U19-B teams but never played with them myself.

I always love to have many B/C/II etc as possible so this is a great find(might have missed it when I dabbled in Portugal in the PGE)

Same. I gotta have my B team and multiple youth teams haha. And yes Swiss clubs are awesome for that reason. They usually have three youth teams, under18, under19 and under23. 

Edited by crusadertsar

How do you differentiate goalkeeper distribution based on different situations?

What I would like is for my GK to distribute to CB/FB from a goal kick, so we can build from the back, I can get this with distribute to area/player.

However if he claims a cross I'd like him to be more pro-active and start a counter attack if possible, rather than letting the opposition settle and passing to defenders.

Anyone found a sweet spot for this?

TI/PI/Role/PPM/Attributes?

I know there is a PPM for starting a counter attack with a throw, what if he is better with his feet?

7 hours ago, Raul10 said:

How do you differentiate goalkeeper distribution based on different situations?

What I would like is for my GK to distribute to CB/FB from a goal kick, so we can build from the back, I can get this with distribute to area/player.

However if he claims a cross I'd like him to be more pro-active and start a counter attack if possible, rather than letting the opposition settle and passing to defenders.

Anyone found a sweet spot for this?

TI/PI/Role/PPM/Attributes?

I know there is a PPM for starting a counter attack with a throw, what if he is better with his feet?

Tis like "Counter," "Pass into Space" could help. "Distribute Quickly" on the goalkeeper is obviously going to be something you'll want to include. "Take short kicks" says it asks the goalkeeper to drop the ball at his feet and then distribute it. This + "take more risks" as a PI could give you what you're looking for after a cross is claimed. 

The big brain move would be to set distribution to a specific fullback and then in the set piece setup have him placed in an advanced counter attacking position w/the above mentioned TIs. 

If the GK is not terrible at throwing and has decent strength, I'd consider just using that trait you mentioned.

Edited by Cloud9

Em 17/11/2023 em 19:29, Cloud9 disse:

Yea I do. I have a different pre season training selection, where I try to push the boys over the edge of what's physically possible. This is really impactful to maintaining fitness over the course of a season. As long as you've got strong physios you shouldn't be at too much of an injury risk. 

In the season itself I have 4 training schedules I rotate each week of the month. I would recommend making an alt version for game weeks where you've got two matches to play. 

One thing that's changed in my sessions in the last few years is that I make sure the players get enough rest now, you can really push development on players if you're able to hit a sweet spot in training like this. Adding injury risk/match load/fatigue to your selection view I would strongly recommend when you're doing your own training schedules. You can then avoid overworking / injuring a player by individually putting him on 1/2 training for a little. 

In previous versions my gauge for a successful training schedule was how much players over the age of 23 would improve (younger players than that will usually improve regardless). They've reworked development this year (esp. w/ development curves) so what will work best this year is still a work in progress for me. 

Sorry, miss this post.

So you create based on your playing style? What do you normally do the day before and after a match? Match preview before and both recovery and match review after for example?

5 ore fa, mikcheck ha scritto:

Scusa, mi manca questo post.

Quindi crei in base al tuo stile di gioco? Cosa fai normalmente il giorno prima e dopo una partita? Anteprima della partita prima e recupero e revisione della partita dopo, ad esempio?

i'm feeling good with this training around the matches

image.png.c01cff2e6741bcb06b466d8e7aef66a6.png

image.thumb.png.ac916615c4873c9a6dc9a7943fc43975.png

sometimes i use also with half heart half intensity and the two next are normal and double intensity..

8 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Sorry, miss this post.

So you create based on your playing style? What do you normally do the day before and after a match? Match preview before and both recovery and match review after for example?

Mine are a little outdated since I haven't done a deep dive into the approach for FM23 vs FM24. 

• I would recommend not using match review/match tactics unless you're trying to supercharge some poor team dynamics. My general approach is to maximize development through sufficient "rest" sessions and then heavy hitting training sessions (match practice, physical, blue defence, blue attack + the sessions that give the specific attributes you want).
  • I've incorporated the new set piece session the day before + 1 light session or a rest session if the team needs it. The day after I try to utilize at least one rest or recovery session alongside a lighter training session. 

And yea I heavily tailor mine to my style of play, particularly since having the right attributes are quite impactful in defensive approaches.

I'd prioritize getting the pre-season done properly as that will have the biggest impact on the season itself. 

Edited by Cloud9

2 horas atrás, Cloud9 disse:

Mine are a little outdated since I haven't done a deep dive into the approach for FM23 vs FM24. 

• I would recommend not using match review/match tactics unless you're trying to supercharge some poor team dynamics. My general approach is to maximize development through sufficient "rest" sessions and then heavy hitting training sessions (match practice, physical, blue defence, blue attack + the sessions that give the specific attributes you want).
  • I've incorporated the new set piece session the day before + 1 light session or a rest session if the team needs it. The day after I try to utilize at least one rest or recovery session alongside a lighter training session. 

And yea I heavily tailor mine to my style of play, particularly since having the right attributes are quite impactful in defensive approaches.

I'd prioritize getting the pre-season done properly as that will have the biggest impact on the season itself. 

When you say  the blue defence and blue attack, are those from the match practice or general ones?

Edited by mikcheck

44 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

When you say  the blue defence and blue attack, are those from the match practice or general ones?

I like the dark blue ones from the general tab! They were pivotal in training plans in FM23.

That's probably tweaked on the new version, but the same principles of development apply. It's all about balancing appropriate amounts of rest with adequate game time/training regimes to push their attributes. 

Edited by Cloud9

Let's say I want to set up a defensive tactic that restricts spaces, seeks to soak up pressure from the opponents and then attack quickly on the counter.
Generally speaking, which of the following is going to help me achieve that?
1 Cautious/Defensive Mentality + High/Very High Tempo
2 Attacking Mentality + Low/Very low defensive line?

1 minute ago, stopazricky said:

Let's say I want to set up a defensive tactic that restricts spaces, seeks to soak up pressure from the opponents and then attack quickly on the counter.
Generally speaking, which of the following is going to help me achieve that?
1 Cautious/Defensive Mentality + High/Very High Tempo

The mentality is separate to your question. 

Mid block / low block on a narrower width, using a high tempo and direct passing will give you the style of play you're looking for.

1 minute ago, stopazricky said:

May be old advice, but I always found my teams countered better on higher mentalities, which makes sense as lower mentality players won't take a chance when a counter opportunity is on 

When you guys create  a training schedule for the whole month, how do you normally do? Keep the same every week or every week of the month is different?

And do you mix things up or for example 1 week focused on defence, next week more on attack, etc?

17 ore fa, stopazricky ha scritto:

Absolutely this..

if you set a high mentality, your players will also have a high mentality, which will make them push towards the opponent's goal more compared to a cautious one where they will not advance much... add few support tasks other than the playmakers who you want to launch the ball into space forward and the game becomes excellent with low LOE and DL lines..

It's the very first time I've created training schedules instead of leaving them to the assistant. My plan is to alternate between these 2 every month. More defence training 1 week and attacking the next one.

Direct and quick counter attacking is my team playing style, so having quick players is also important for me.

tttt.thumb.jpg.42808e8855d6b77d5e1df0e1a8acb471.jpg

Hi everyone. I have a confusion about opposition instractions. Lets say we are against 4231dm. And, I would like press high to them. Opposition’s RB, left CB, LB and right DM tight marked. Also, GK and right CB triggered press and maybe hard tackled. Now the question here. When opposition’s left DM recieve the ball, I would like him to pass the ball opposition left winger. In an other saying, I dont want him to turn his left. (because he can pass the ball more easily to number 10 and number 9 with this particular way) On the contrary, I want him to turn his right. Then his only easy pass option will be left winger. (Dont forget LB was tightly marked.) 

So, which foot should I show on to him? Show on left foot or show on right foot?

Edited by ibrahim.akbyk

I play a standard 4-3-3 but I always struggle against Barcelona who play a 4-2-2-2 with 2 DMCs, 2 AMCs and 2 CFs
They have no width but they overrun my defence through the middle and I’m struggling to see how I can defend against this tactic.

….. any tips?

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Salsa666:

Does IF(su) produce any crosses?

He does but more often if you play him with his strong foot outside.

I would go with inverted winger and the PIs to cross more often and from deep when you want more crosses from the player. Both roles act and move very similar but the inside forward looks more for shooting opportunities for himself.

48 minutes ago, Fritz13 said:

I play a standard 4-3-3 but I always struggle against Barcelona who play a 4-2-2-2 with 2 DMCs, 2 AMCs and 2 CFs
They have no width but they overrun my defence through the middle and I’m struggling to see how I can defend against this tactic.

….. any tips?

Trap outside maybe?

15 horas atrás, mikcheck disse:

It's the very first time I've created training schedules instead of leaving them to the assistant. My plan is to alternate between these 2 every month. More defence training 1 week and attacking the next one.

Direct and quick counter attacking is my team playing style, so having quick players is also important for me.

tttt.thumb.jpg.42808e8855d6b77d5e1df0e1a8acb471.jpg

Any opinion on this pls? 

39 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Any opinion on this pls? 

Utilize the general blue defending/attacking a bit more in your schedules I think. I usually put a recovery session after match practice to reduce injury risk.

Having 1 up day, 1 down day can help as well.

Edited by Cloud9

19 saat önce, ibrahim.akbyk said:

Hi everyone. I have a confusion about opposition instractions. Lets say we are against 4231dm. And, I would like press high to them. Opposition’s RB, left CB, LB and right DM tight marked. Also, GK and right CB triggered press and maybe hard tackled. Now the question here. When opposition’s left DM recieve the ball, I would like him to pass the ball opposition left winger. In an other saying, I dont want him to turn his left. (because he can pass the ball more easily to number 10 and number 9 with this particular way) On the contrary, I want him to turn his right. Then his only easy pass option will be left winger. (Dont forget LB was tightly marked.) 

So, which foot should I show on to him? Show on left foot or show on right foot?

Any tips? Or maybe I couldnt express my self very well?