Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

13 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Does anyone have a clear understanding of the "setting targets" system that was added this year?

I've been setting targets with players and it seems like a great way to keep morale and training up. Are there bonus outcomes upon completion of a target to attributes? I'm also a little unclear on how to trigger the reaction to set a target with a player, it seems to come up fairly randomly when I'm praising/criticizing them.

I thought they were great right at the start and now I avoid them like the plague. It just seems like a way for the game to drag you into the promise feature. I had a load of players miss their targets and then blame me for it at the end, so it just doesn't feel like a worthwhile trade off.

I've never seen it have any impact on attributes either but to be honest I wouldn't really expect it to.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

What are your first checks when something that worked tactically for 6 months isn’t working anymore?

So a mid season dip? If you've overperformed it could be that teams are starting to take you seriously and play less openly. Usually a post Christmas drop is related to a poor pre season or rotation catching up with you.

Edited by Cloud9

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Cloud9:

So a mid season dip? If you've overperformed it could be that teams are starting to take you seriously and play less openly. Usually a post Christmas drop is related to a poor pre season or rotation catching up with you.

It’s February and we are fighting for Promotion with a media prediction for relegation. Loric Kalala by the way is happy and scoring. I see teams now more difficult to break and pressing us more. The matches are close but now I lose them. 

44 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

It’s February and we are fighting for Promotion with a media prediction for relegation. Loric Kalala by the way is happy and scoring. I see teams now more difficult to break and pressing us more. The matches are close but now I lose them. 

Could be a combination of both, difficult to change the fatigue too much at this point so I'd do a deep dive on the pre-season and rotation planning after the season ends.

In the mean time I'd watch the matches pretty comprehensively for a little bit and try to make small tweaks to what the opponent is doing. Are you losing because they're playing compact and  then directly hitting the space in behind you? When the opposition don't rate you they tend to play more expansively which makes it easier to play through them and nullify their attacking threat.

• Usually addressing how you score goals and you concede goals is what I look at first when things go wrong. 

Glad Kalala is working well now :) 

Edited by Cloud9

How can I replicate the movement of spurs under Pochettino in FM24? Basically a 4-2-3-1 where one DM (Dier) moves into back 3 in transition and the right in the top 3 (Eriksen) moves into the double pivot.

I’ve sort of managed it with a AP(s) with trait “comes deep to get ball”, but I would ideally manage it with llayer roles. Any idea?

33 minutes ago, kennypavey said:

How can I replicate the movement of spurs under Pochettino in FM24? Basically a 4-2-3-1 where one DM (Dier) moves into back 3 in transition and the right in the top 3 (Eriksen) moves into the double pivot.

I’ve sort of managed it with a AP(s) with trait “comes deep to get ball”, but I would ideally manage it with llayer roles. Any idea?

I think the only way to get that sort of extreme movement would be to play Erikson at DM and trying to get him to move forward and to the right when attacking 

On 19/03/2024 at 04:45, HanziZoloman said:

how would you describe the difference between an AMC(A) and a Shadow Striker?

SS is hard coded to work hard off the ball, and is typically making more direct runs to goal off the ball (a 9 from deep). You can stick an atypical player in the SS role to fairly good effect as well, very versatile role the SS.

The AMC(a) comes w/less coding under the hood. They operate more of a traditional 10 rather than a player trying to get on the end of goal scoring chances. 

Edited by Cloud9

7 minuti fa, Los_Culés ha scritto:

Do I need to somewhere specifically select a Target Man or just assign the TM role and the team will automatically send crosses to him?

I think (maybe I'm wrong) it's hardcoded that with a TF teammates will look for him more, but in the PIs you can specifically tell your player to aim crosses at him (and in TIs to your GK)

23 minuti fa, Los_Culés ha scritto:

@Fox-7-Thanks, I did that. The reason why I am asking is that my players (especially Fullbacks) seem to prefer to cross the ball to wide players on the opposite side instead of TM.

Maybe it depends on your tactic, do you have selected a specific cross type in TIs? Your TF is a lone striker or has a partner? Or on the far side there's and attacking player like IF/W/IW that look to make himself going into (better?) scoring positions than your TF?

I play a 4-4-1-1 with a TFs as a lone striker in central position with only and AM behind him on Attack duty, ML/R are on support duty, mixed cross in TIs, "aim cross at him" in PIs for wide players. He is the main goal scorer by far (25+, no other teammates hits double digit, nor his backup), going for the header on the far post from both sides (and furthermore he even scores some goals anticipating opponents on a low cross on the near post) 

However PIs are only tendencies, maybe your TF is well controlled by the opponents and there's a free teammate on the far post, in the end players looks for what they think is the better option given their skills

Edited by Fox-7-

I saw the season premiere of my team AIK today, and they had an interesting tactic that I was curious if and how it could be replicated in football manager, especially the right mid / right wing back role (number 32 in pictures).

We usually play some kind of 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-2 hybrid, where the AM is a striker in disguise (either a technical player or some hard-working target man-light player). We usually look like this in build-up, with Modesto (32) on the right wing being really high and wide, while the left wing (45) joining the center.

buildup.png.41314c3eca49af6bd56b9593edf9eb6f.png

In our initial press we look like a quite normal narrow 4-2-3-1 with full backs turning it into some kind of 2-4-3-1. Sometimes the central midfielder joins the attacking forward and turns it into a 2-4-2-2 press.

counterpress.png.f03e3ddd5384d9b9237e1c4521b295e1.png

But what was interesting in this game, and the reason that I post here is that instead of our "normal" 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 in sitting defense, we turned it into a 5-4-1 or 5-2-2-1, to counter the opponent 3-4-3. It looked something like this, with Modesto (32) becoming a right-back, and Edh (2) tucking in.

defense.png.412aca9819100cc47b659fde70cc6996.png

Any idea on how to replicate something like this? Modesto is a right back in defense, but is the highest player in offense with tons of runs between behind defensive lines. He also often goes into the opponents box, and was the sole gole scorer of the game.

6 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

@kennypavey You're better off creating an actual thread mate. 

Yeah I am not sure I want to play like this since it didn’t really work out in the game. Just thiught it was an interesting concept and wondered if someone had done something similar.

12 ore fa, kennypavey ha scritto:

I saw the season premiere of my team AIK today, and they had an interesting tactic that I was curious if and how it could be replicated in football manager, especially the right mid / right wing back role (number 32 in pictures).

We usually play some kind of 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-2 hybrid, where the AM is a striker in disguise (either a technical player or some hard-working target man-light player). We usually look like this in build-up, with Modesto (32) on the right wing being really high and wide, while the left wing (45) joining the center.

buildup.png.41314c3eca49af6bd56b9593edf9eb6f.png

In our initial press we look like a quite normal narrow 4-2-3-1 with full backs turning it into some kind of 2-4-3-1. Sometimes the central midfielder joins the attacking forward and turns it into a 2-4-2-2 press.

counterpress.png.f03e3ddd5384d9b9237e1c4521b295e1.png

But what was interesting in this game, and the reason that I post here is that instead of our "normal" 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 in sitting defense, we turned it into a 5-4-1 or 5-2-2-1, to counter the opponent 3-4-3. It looked something like this, with Modesto (32) becoming a right-back, and Edh (2) tucking in.

defense.png.412aca9819100cc47b659fde70cc6996.png

Any idea on how to replicate something like this? Modesto is a right back in defense, but is the highest player in offense with tons of runs between behind defensive lines. He also often goes into the opponents box, and was the sole gole scorer of the game.

Given that the position of the players in the tactics screen is the one in the out of possession phase, you need to start from the last picture.

I think it's difficult to replicate in ME, the only solution I can think of is this:

#1 GK/SK

#32 CWBa

#2 WCBd

#16 CBd

#4 CBd

#12 FBs (or WBs if no IF ahead of him)

#10 DMs (or CMs)

#7 DMs (or CMs)

#9 AMs

#45 IFs (or AMa if in the AMCL slot)

#28 AFa

#10 and #7 with hold position PI, as in every picture they are in the same place with all the remaining teammates moving around. They can be played in other holding roles as A or DLP but not knowing the player skills I gave them the simpliest role

Edited by Fox-7-

5 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hi. 

Does this looks like a low block to you? 

Off the ball average positions:

IMG-20240404-WA0001.jpg.1d3ab00a68770c2e218999332897103f.jpg

General average positions:

IMG-20240404-WA0000.jpg.90951c3dc256ee157f69e4f4831cf85f.jpg

There is a difference between 1st screenshot and 2nd screenshot.

19 minutos atrás, fc.cadoni disse:

There is a difference between 1st screenshot and 2nd screenshot.

Isn't that normal? Since one is off the ball and the other is the general one. 

I just didnt know which one is better to demonstrate so Ive used both images

Edited by mikcheck

Hey guys, did anybody had a Cannavaro kind of player, he‘s been 1,76 m heigh and one of the best defenders. I have a short defender 1,75 but like Cannavaro, he‘s one of the best. Anticipation, Tackling, Bravery, Aggression it’s all there. I could place him in midfield but shy away because work rate and teamwork is just mediocre, he is not mobile enough. At the moment I play him as a L(D) with a big guy behind him on cover

3 ore fa, HanziZoloman ha scritto:

Hey guys, did anybody had a Cannavaro kind of player, he‘s been 1,76 m heigh and one of the best defenders. I have a short defender 1,75 but like Cannavaro, he‘s one of the best. Anticipation, Tackling, Bravery, Aggression it’s all there. I could place him in midfield but shy away because work rate and teamwork is just mediocre, he is not mobile enough. At the moment I play him as a L(D) with a big guy behind him on cover

L(D) maybe could be too demanding if he has low WR...seems to be a perfect candidate for a CB-st spot

Digne WB/A Torres BPD/D stay wider Carlos CB/C Cash IFB/D

Luiz DM/S hold position Kamara DM/S hold position 

McGinn IW/S Watkins TF/S Diaby DLF/S Bailey W/S

Edited by HanziZoloman

Hey everyone, it's 22nd of January 2025 in my save and I just got a job at Iceland National Team. The upcoming competition is FIFA World Cup 2026 Qualification. The first match is going to be in 22nd of March 2025 against San Marino, closely followed by a match against Netherlands in 25th of March. Since this is my first time ever managing a NT, can you guys give me tips or tell me what to set up? I just looked at my calendar and seems that there's not going to be an international break to set up a friendly match. Thanks ahead! :D

Screenshot2024-04-08000241.thumb.png.c323089931a3f5c2d779bf9d172c29bd.png

There's one thing I'm quite unsure about - tackling hard Team instruction and Player Instruction.

If I have my team set on on Get stuck in, and I would instruct one player to tackle hard. Does it make him "tackle even harder"?

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Vođi:

There's one thing I'm quite unsure about - tackling hard Team instruction and Player Instruction.

If I have my team set on on Get stuck in, and I would instruct one player to tackle hard. Does it make him "tackle even harder"?

My interpretation would be that with PI‘s I am being more specific and with TI‘s more general

to „multiply“ the tackling from hard to even harder I suggest a player with high aggression, bravery and strength to give more impact. :D

Edited by HanziZoloman

Is there any downside to adding all my under 19s to the senior training units? I want them to start getting mentored by senior players?

A lot has changed since I last played a few editions ago!

vor 56 Minuten schrieb majorbriggs:

Is there any downside to adding all my under 19s to the senior training units? I want them to start getting mentored by senior players?

A lot has changed since I last played a few editions ago!

If they are 18 and older, they should play a reasonable amount of games per season (12) with the senior team or loan team. If they are younger than 18 then they develop most in Training which is better addressed in the U19's because they play less matches and usually don't have more than one match/ week. They share the training facilities with the senior team.

3 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

If they are 18 and older, they should play a reasonable amount of games per season (12) with the senior team or loan team. If they are younger than 18 then they develop most in Training which is better addressed in the U19's because they play less matches and usually don't have more than one match/ week. They share the training facilities with the senior team.

Thanks but I don't mean moving them to the senior squad, I mean adding them to to training units, so that I can put them in mentoring groups with senior players.

I just got my first intake and I have a few 15 year olds I want to improve their personality.

57 minutes ago, Los_Culés said:

I have played 6 matches in Peruvian Second Division and from 12 shots on goal I conceded 10 goals. Is this normal? AI conversion rate is immense :rolleyes::).

Unless your keeper has one leg, no. But you need to ask a tactical question :thup:

14 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Unless your keeper has one leg, no. But you need to ask a tactical question :thup:

Well, I play in 2D so maybe he has :)

On a serious note I am just interested in what can be the cause (teamtalks, gelling, bad luck). After 7 matches I have currently the lowest amount of shots on goal received in the league (13) but conceded 10 goals.

16 hours ago, Los_Culés said:

I have played 6 matches in Peruvian Second Division and from 12 shots on goal I conceded 10 goals. Is this normal? AI conversion rate is immense :rolleyes::).

That’s a tactical question. Sounds like you are giving away too many easy chances or you just have a terribly chosen team. Without more info, people are guessing.

Am I correct in assuming that every time you make a tactical change in the tactics screen during a match, only then does the ME recalculate how the remainder of the match plays out? However, you can instantly change the team's mentality in a match without going into the tactics screen. So my question is, does changing your mentality in a match quickly without going into the tactics screen affect the remainder of the match?

Edited by AceCream

In terms of loaning out players for development, is it more beneficial to loan players to teams that play more games in a season so they get more matches to improve?

For example English Championship teams play 46 games a season compared to say the Bundesliga playing 34 games. 

Or is the game somehow coded to factor in some leagues play significantly more games to avoid situations where some nations players would develop quicker than other nations simply because they play more games?

17 hours ago, AceCream said:

Am I correct in assuming that every time you make a tactical change in the tactics screen during a match, only then does the ME recalculate how the remainder of the match plays out? However, you can instantly change the team's mentality in a match without going into the tactics screen. So my question is, does changing your mentality in a match quickly without going into the tactics screen affect the remainder of the match?

Whenever any event happens the m.e. recalculates, this can also include injuries, yellow cards and any tactical change made.

Has anybody managed to get the Engache to work? I like doing journey saves and one of my favourite parts of the game is signing an ageing star from a top league for some random team and a random league. 

I've tried over lots of versions but never quite got it to click. Closes I got was in fm22 at Houston Dynamos I signed Juan Quintero and used him in a 4312 formation but had to settle as an AP(s) as Engache didnt click.

Also tried with Treq but again more successful with a AM (s) basically want a 4312 where they are the main creative outlet for the strikers and chipping in with the odd longshot, goal themselves 

Was thinking something like this might be way to go but unsure on middle cm role two striker roles, AF seems a must not sure on other.

Sk(d)

Wb(s) cd(d) bod(d) wb(s) 

Car cm(d) bwm(s)

Eng

Af pf(a)

Mid block, high line,counter, wide, higher tempo

37 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

Hi people, anybody experiencing the same thing, that central defenders or defenders won't develop as well and as easy as offensive players?

I'm about a decade in on my current save and have well developed defensive players.

One difference is how often I use them though. I don't rotate my CB as often as I do my attacking players (and sub them off less), so they get less minutes which does affect their development. I'm not sure if they applied to you at all.

I'm looking for a simple possession based tactic, preferably with a 433 formation. What are the best team instructions to use? I'll always use a gegenpress style but I want to do a bit different with my new Man Utd save. Thanks!

vor 21 Minuten schrieb DeepThought:

I'm about a decade in on my current save and have well developed defensive players.

One difference is how often I use them though. I don't rotate my CB as often as I do my attacking players (and sub them off less), so they get less minutes which does affect their development. I'm not sure if they applied to you at all.

Thanks, anything special or out of the order you are doing? 
Especially the tackling is hard to develop 

Edited by HanziZoloman

27 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

Thanks, anything special or out of the order you are doing? 
Especially the tackling is hard to develop 

I don't think so. I don't do anything special with the training side of things. I just make sure they're mentored and I'm conscious about giving them a good enough chunk of game time - using the reserves/youth or loaning them out as needs be. 

It's insisting because I don't struggle with the tackling, but do find it hard to get a decent header. Maybe that's our respective scouting and youth departments at play! 

vor 20 Minuten schrieb DeepThought:

I don't think so. I don't do anything special with the training side of things. I just make sure they're mentored and I'm conscious about giving them a good enough chunk of game time - using the reserves/youth or loaning them out as needs be. 

It's insisting because I don't struggle with the tackling, but do find it hard to get a decent header. Maybe that's our respective scouting and youth departments at play! 

Sounds encouraging, do you use AssMan Schedules?

39 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

Sounds encouraging, do you use AssMan Schedules?

Yeah, training isn't something I've ever gotten especially into. I'm sure it could be done better, but the default schedules just seem to work fine for me. I'm sure others could point you in the direction of how to maximize that area of the game.