Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 saat önce, stopazricky said:

I want to play a defensive and counter-attacking tactic with low lines, restricting space and patiently waiting for opponent's mistakes to get the ball and go for a counter.

A few pages back I was advised that the optimal Mentality to achieve this is Attacking, as this will make my players take more risks and play quicker and more vertical passes and runs (which means they'll try to counter more often). However, I was worried that a Mentality that is theoretically "offensive" could make my team less effective defensive (whereas defensive solidity is the number one priority).

Is Mentality really just "Risk", and can I play defensive football with an Attacking Mentality?

I tend to use low-risk mentality when I would like to play counter-attack tactic. Both approach can work well though. But I dont like to take more risk than needed. More risky passes, more dribbling, more tackle eg. arent my thing when using this particular style. Opposite, I like to wait for very good opportunities to try them. Less is more to me 🤓

6 hours ago, Lambielsa said:

Hi all. In the data hub, match analysis I am consistently getting a thumbs down for ‘weak influence’. Does this mean I have been unable to influence the game as it’s happening?

No ,"weak influence" refers to a specific player on your team who doesn't do much. You can click on weak influence to see who, it's clickable at the tactics screen(not sure about the hub).

36 minutes ago, Poison said:

No ,"weak influence" refers to a specific player on your team who doesn't do much. You can click on weak influence to see who, it's clickable at the tactics screen(not sure about the hub).

Thanks for response. That makes sense I’m using touch and clicking on it just takes me to my squad page without anyone highlighted. I’m sure I can work it out from there. Cheers!

Would it be strange to have very different tactics in your 3 slots? I'm thinking a high-pressing gegen 4231, a low block counter attack 442, and a tiki-taka 433 ala Barca to cater for different types of opponents. 

Does it impact training and role familiarity of your players? 

3 hours ago, CapitalismReimagined said:

Would it be strange to have very different tactics in your 3 slots? I'm thinking a high-pressing gegen 4231, a low block counter attack 442, and a tiki-taka 433 ala Barca to cater for different types of opponents. 

Does it impact training and role familiarity of your players? 

Yes. From manual:

A maximum of three Tactics can be worked on at any one time. The Primary Trained Tactic benefits from 60% of the contribution towards the team’s Tactical Familiarity, with the other two each gaining 20%. Familiarity rises and falls depending on the team and player instructions set in a tactic and is remembered across all tactics. For example, if a player is tasked with Short Passing in all three tactics, the Familiarity will be higher in that regard, which contributes towards the overall score when extrapolated across all players and instructions.

====

One of the reason why I have the same tactic in three slots.

Edited by fc.cadoni

1 hour ago, Skywalk3r83 said:

Any changes to my tactic? I usually use a preset Gegenpress and adjust a bit here and there.
Player roles are fine i guess, maybe some team instructions I can turn off etc.?

image.png.2605dfcbec016aa05e3a5f9717745b87.png

Depends. Do you find any gaps or weaknesses during your matches?

One thought that I had was to change one BPD to a standard CD. 

17 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

Yes. From manual:

A maximum of three Tactics can be worked on at any one time. The Primary Trained Tactic benefits from 60% of the contribution towards the team’s Tactical Familiarity, with the other two each gaining 20%. Familiarity rises and falls depending on the team and player instructions set in a tactic and is remembered across all tactics. For example, if a player is tasked with Short Passing in all three tactics, the Familiarity will be higher in that regard, which contributes towards the overall score when extrapolated across all players and instructions.

====

One of the reason why I have the same tactic in three slots.

Thanks @fc.cadoni, much appreciated. It makes sense to have the same tactic in 3 slots to quickly learn it but unfortunately I'm a "middle of the pack" team and want to have some flexibility in applying different tactics against different opponents. What would you suggest I do?

Also, would it be possible for a single player to have full role and position familiarity on two very different tactics or do they only have the ability to master one? 

11 hours ago, CapitalismReimagined said:

Thanks @fc.cadoni, much appreciated. It makes sense to have the same tactic in 3 slots to quickly learn it but unfortunately I'm a "middle of the pack" team and want to have some flexibility in applying different tactics against different opponents. What would you suggest I do?

Also, would it be possible for a single player to have full role and position familiarity on two very different tactics or do they only have the ability to master one? 

There is no role familiarity anymore, what matters is attributes for the role. I would not use someone as IFB De and then next match as WB Su for example, since I am training players according to the tactic role; first to maximize tactical familiarity quickly (and maintain it) and second reason because the personalized training to focus more on attributes for the X role.

I accepted an offer to have a B team, which now plays in such a low league I can't see it's games. They are being played, as players on the team show as having games played. But my worry is that players being sent there aren't training properly. I only have a manager, and although I'm allowed 3 coaches, I can't hire anyone to fill those spots as they are part time and nobody will accept them.  

What do I do here? I feel if I send my young players too old for U19 they aren't going to develop properly, but if I keep them on my senior squad they won't get games. I've tried sending them out on loan, but only the ones good enough to be squad players in my senior team really get offers, so my 5 star potential 17 year olds are now just sitting there. 

54 minutes ago, Bahnzo said:

I accepted an offer to have a B team, which now plays in such a low league I can't see it's games. They are being played, as players on the team show as having games played. But my worry is that players being sent there aren't training properly. I only have a manager, and although I'm allowed 3 coaches, I can't hire anyone to fill those spots as they are part time and nobody will accept them.  

What do I do here? I feel if I send my young players too old for U19 they aren't going to develop properly, but if I keep them on my senior squad they won't get games. I've tried sending them out on loan, but only the ones good enough to be squad players in my senior team really get offers, so my 5 star potential 17 year olds are now just sitting there. 

U18 players will develop better in youth team setups. Prioritize getting them game time in your first team or out on loan once they turn 18. 

You could look to hire a Player/Coach from a retiring senior pro w/ a good personality to accept a part time position. 

3 hours ago, Bahnzo said:

What would you choose in a coach? One that has slightly better coaching attributes, or one that is slightly better at mental (like determination/Discipline/Motivating)?

If you do the coaching recruitment right when the season ends/contracts expires you'll have a much wider selection to choose from. 

I look for both attributes on my coach's + good personality. I would favor the main attributes if I didn't have enough coaches in that specific area (Attacking + technical etc.). 

Edited by Cloud9

7 hours ago, Bahnzo said:

What would you choose in a coach? One that has slightly better coaching attributes, or one that is slightly better at mental (like determination/Discipline/Motivating)?

Like others have said Coaching qualifications, world rep, attributes and then personality

15 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

If you do the coaching recruitment right when the season ends/contracts expires you'll have a much wider selection to choose from. 

I look for both attributes on my coach's + good personality. I would favor the main attributes if I didn't have enough coaches in that specific area (Attacking + technical etc.). 

Right, that's good advice to wait until July 1, for EU anyways, for all the coach contracts to come to an end. 

Lone striker (AF) with take fewer risk, my idea is that i dont want the forward putting balls forward. This beacause i have mez(su) and b2b under/on the side of him and wingers (su). What more does it affect When ”take fewer risks” is selected?

Hello everyone. In my 6 season of career, I have a player who has fairly professional personality, struggling to connect with someone who has professional personality. Is that normal? I mean in previous version, I had a driven player stuggling to connect with professional player but never happened before with fairly prof and prof. Also, do you have any idea how should I manage this situation? Btw they are in same mentoring group with model citizen players. 

Edited by ibrahim.akbyk

14 hours ago, ibrahim.akbyk said:

Hello everyone. In my 6 season of career, I have a player who has fairly professional personality, struggling to connect with someone who has professional personality. Is that normal? I mean in previous version, I had a driven player stuggling to connect with professional player but never happened before with fairly prof and prof. Also, do you have any idea how should I manage this situation? Btw they are in same mentoring group with model citizen players. 

Check the Media Handling of each player. That will give you more of an insight on if you should be concerned or not. 

On Driven: that's a personality that can hide a lot of other personalities within it, as what it indicates is 17+ determination w/fairly capped ambition. 

Am 14.1.2024 um 23:12 schrieb whatsupdoc:

Is there a "best" set piece / corner / long 5hroe routine?

The attacking corner setup that works best for me is:

- inswinger short post

- A1 + A2 attack short post

- A3 mark keeper

- C1 + C2 lurk outside near and far side

- C3 come short

- D1 + D2 stay back

- D3 stay back if needed / lurk outside centre

defending corners:

- A1 mark near post

- A2 mark far post

- A3 player mark

- A4 to A6 zonally mark 6y-box near post, far post, centre

- B1 edge of area

- B2 go back

- C1 stay forward centre

- C2 edge of area

3 saat önce, Cloud9 said:

Check the Media Handling of each player. That will give you more of an insight on if you should be concerned or not. 

On Driven: that's a personality that can hide a lot of other personalities within it, as what it indicates is 17+ determination w/fairly capped ambition. 

Thanks for helping 🙏

Stuggling one is Fairly prof with level-headed media handling and other one is prof with media friendly media handling. As far as we know they have both 1-14 controversy and +15 professionalism. I wonder what is the reason for this situation. And how could I avoid . Or can I avoid it? 

22 hours ago, ibrahim.akbyk said:

Thanks for helping 🙏

Stuggling one is Fairly prof with level-headed media handling and other one is prof with media friendly media handling. As far as we know they have both 1-14 controversy and +15 professionalism. I wonder what is the reason for this situation. And how could I avoid . Or can I avoid it? 

Both sound fine to me based on that. 

• On media handling I'm usually looking for Unflappable (pressure), Reserved (indicating professionalism) or Evasive (my personal favorite). 
  • Volatile/Confrontational can be red flags if not paired with a strong personality like Perfectionist. 
  • Level headed is generally good, but just doesn't really tell you too much.
  • Media Friendly is the Media Handling version of balanced, it can range from pretty solid mentals to a problem player. I would look at the pairing Personality/Determination to get a better feel. 
    • In your case, this is paired with Professional personality (one of the best you can have), so I wouldn't worry.
  • Ambition is very difficult to get a read on, which is a big reason why Perfectionist/Model Citizen are such great personalities. 

I value Professionalism extremely highly in my own squad building, so even if these two don't get along I wouldn't be too concerned. My guess is that the media friendly guy is a bit low in one of the lesser hidden attributes. The big four personality attributes I look for are Ambition, Determination, Professionalism (all help with development, among other things) + Pressure. 

Generally you need to be more picky on the potential for problem players when looking at newgens. SI doesn't want to get sued, so you don't see the truly terrible personalities as often on real players. Slack, spineless, unambitious etc. are newgen only and you can get newgens who go out partying or go AWOL on practice. Potential problem real players will have Balanced because SI either doesn't know or doesn't want to say :) 

A players mentals will go up over time, if these are U23 players I would say both have exceptional personalities. Their mentals will naturally improve as they age and this can be double down on in how you build your staff/squad. With a proper squad culture/dyamics/squad leaders, they can grow into proper mentality monsters for you.

Edited by Cloud9

2 saat önce, Cloud9 said:

Both sound fine to me based on that. 

• On media handling I'm usually looking for Unflappable (pressure), Reserved (indicating professionalism) or Evasive (my personal favorite). 
  • Volatile/Confrontational can be red flags if not paired with a strong personality like Perfectionist. 
  • Level headed is generally good, but just doesn't really tell you too much.
  • Media Friendly is the Media Handling version of balanced, it can range from pretty solid mentals to a problem player. I would look at the pairing Personality/Determination to get a better feel. 
    • In your case, this is paired with Professional personality (one of the best you can have), so I wouldn't worry.
  • Ambition is very difficult to get a read on, which is a big reason why Perfectionist/Model Citizen are such great personalities. 

I value Professionalism extremely highly in my own squad building, so even if these two don't get along I wouldn't be too concerned. My guess is that the media friendly guy is a bit low in one of the lesser hidden attributes. The big four personality attributes I look for are Ambition, Determination, Professionalism (all help with development, among other things) + Pressure. 

Generally you need to be more picky on the potential for problem players when looking at newgens. SI doesn't want to get sued, so you don't see the truly terrible personalities as often on real players. Slack, spineless, unambitious etc. are newgen only and you can get newgens who go out partying or go AWOL on practice. Potential problem real players will have Balanced because SI either doesn't know or doesn't want to say :) 

A players mentals will go up over time, if these are U23 players I would say both have exceptional personalities. Their mentals will naturally improve as they age and this can be double down on in how you build your staff/squad. With a proper squad culture/dyamics/squad leaders, they can grow into proper mentality monsters for you.

I get it now, thank you for answering and taking time 🙏 Btw, we share same principles on mentality and media handling 😁

I understand the difference between a Wing back and a Full back in Football, but what is the difference in Football Manager between a player in the FB "slot" set to Wing back duty and the player one step higher in the Wing back slot set to Wing back duty?

I noticed the in-game explanations are identical, however my players' ability in the identically named roles (Wing back (Attack) etc.) differed depending on which position on the field I placed them.

11 hours ago, asdfasdfsdfsaddt said:

I understand the difference between a Wing back and a Full back in Football, but what is the difference in Football Manager between a player in the FB "slot" set to Wing back duty and the player one step higher in the Wing back slot set to Wing back duty?

I noticed the in-game explanations are identical, however my players' ability in the identically named roles (Wing back (Attack) etc.) differed depending on which position on the field I placed them.

The positions that you see in the tactic slot are the positions that the players tend towards when the other team has the ball and you are defending. So a role shown higher up the pitch is more attacking and less defensive than the same role in a deeper position. It’s the same with all roles that can start in different strata on the pitch.

How can anybody defend anything in this game? 

High press/high line is like a meta. I Can't use this. 4-2-3-1 gegenpress? Not working. Mid block? Not working. Low block? Not working. 

Back in the days this game is funny. Now, when opponent win just one throw-in, i know i'll be dead. One-two passes, a cross, and goal. Or maybe if i'm lucky, a corner and after the corner, goal. 

I really don't understand. How can i suck with 4-3-3 dm/bwm/b2b shape? Too simple. Defenders & dm covering areas, wingers, striker and midfielders pressing. It's now rocket science. But when i try this, unbelievable. Some freak of nature hits the ball to the perfect spot and boom, goal. I reject two things: First one is three striker, some silly abusive tactics. Second one is "it's your tactic" thing. Most of us have been playing and watching football for years, and I personally write about football. Let's say I don't know as accurately as I think I do. Still, it's ridiculous that defending is next to impossible. 

Again, to simple. Frei, please hold your position. b2b veiga & bwm xhaka, run, tackle, slide, hit, get contact and try to take ball with wingers & striker. So what do I have? Mid block, low block or high line, doesn't matter, some ridicilous long pass and goal. I've been playing this game for tens of thousands of hours since 2013. I don't accept "it's your tactic" and "don't play then" approaches. I'm trying to be better, trying to learn but no, nothing changes. 

Hello everyone,

Currently on opus 24, is it possible to reproduce this position example concerning the central midfielders in the capture below ?vlcsnap-2024-01-29-10h45m04s065.png.cd55ddbd96fd1c467dff12cc3ce6b4af.png

Also, is it possible for a striker to go off-centre as in the image below ?vlcsnap-2024-01-29-10h47m02s605.png.2b8351d1d32269433576980b953ed893.png

Thank you for your contributions :)

Am 22.1.2024 um 22:02 schrieb batsy23:

High press/high line is like a meta. I Can't use this. 4-2-3-1 gegenpress? Not working. Mid block? Not working. Low block? Not working. 

Back in the days this game is funny. Now, when opponent win just one throw-in, i know i'll be dead. One-two passes, a cross, and goal. Or maybe if i'm lucky, a corner and after the corner, goal. 

I really don't understand. How can i suck with 4-3-3 dm/bwm/b2b shape? Too simple. Defenders & dm covering areas, wingers, striker and midfielders pressing. It's now rocket science. But when i try this, unbelievable. Some freak of nature hits the ball to the perfect spot and boom, goal. I reject two things: First one is three striker, some silly abusive tactics. Second one is "it's your tactic" thing. Most of us have been playing and watching football for years, and I personally write about football. Let's say I don't know as accurately as I think I do. Still, it's ridiculous that defending is next to impossible. 

Again, to simple. Frei, please hold your position. b2b veiga & bwm xhaka, run, tackle, slide, hit, get contact and try to take ball with wingers & striker. So what do I have? Mid block, low block or high line, doesn't matter, some ridicilous long pass and goal. I've been playing this game for tens of thousands of hours since 2013. I don't accept "it's your tactic" and "don't play then" approaches. I'm trying to be better, trying to learn but no, nothing changes. 

Oftentimes I feel like you, just now in YAC it’s the same but then, that’s how learning feels. Keep learning, keep watching, keep experimenting. The game is not like there is one simple tactic to rule it all. 
I win five in a row then I lose five. To get these consistent results you have to beat the machine again and again. Keep developing. 

On 23/01/2024 at 08:02, batsy23 said:

The game is stuffed at the moment, don't blame yourself.

Realistically if you want to compete you need to press high and play attacking. 

Nothing else comes close.

There are also a few meta positions and roles. 

Double DMs on support duty. 

AM on attack. 

Advanced forwards.

You can try other stuff but you put yourself at a massive disadvantage.

Edited by whatsupdoc

On 29/01/2024 at 21:11, Batigoal__ said:

Hello everyone,

Currently on opus 24, is it possible to reproduce this position example concerning the central midfielders in the capture below ?vlcsnap-2024-01-29-10h45m04s065.png.cd55ddbd96fd1c467dff12cc3ce6b4af.png

Also, is it possible for a striker to go off-centre as in the image below ?vlcsnap-2024-01-29-10h47m02s605.png.2b8351d1d32269433576980b953ed893.png

The central midfielders: 

Don't use any "playmaker" role as it will suck them toward the ball. 

In a 4-3-3 try mezzala (Attack).

Or try them starting higher with an AM (s) role.  

I wouldn't get your hopes up though. 

The striker. Not really. Pick a role with moves into channels. Perhaps try roam from position. Teach them player traits to get them to move wide.

Edited by whatsupdoc

On 29/01/2024 at 02:11, Batigoal__ said:

Hello everyone,

On the striker try a Poacher without options via proper support :thup: Auba is a classic poacher IRL!

On the midfielders...they are two 8's in a 5-3-2 yes? You could try distribute to the 6 w/comes deep to get ball on him to get this kind of interaction. Keeping the line of engagement high might help as well. 

Edited by Cloud9

vor 1 Stunde schrieb whatsupdoc:

AM on attack. 

Advanced forwards.

That’s not true. In my YAC save I am competing with much better teams, currently playing EFL1 and has been to the hights of Championship already with a Vanarama National side, like defenders with 8 tackling and stuff. All that with a balanced mentality and a mid-block.

7 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

When auto-resolving matches, which attributes on the Assistant Manager actually matter? I assume Tactical Knowledge and Motivation? Are there any other important ones?

If you are going to use the auto resolve, I always assumed you would want to setup the Match Plans to make a lot of decisions for them. 

12 saat önce, whatsupdoc said:

AM on attack. 

Advanced forwards.

This. This is a problem. 

I started a santa clara save and when i saw the team, i said to myself "i can build a fluid, delicious team". Positive game. Short passes, normal tempo, far post & low passes/crosses, goals in the box etc. Idea is simple but i got the right personal for me! On the left, fullback/support for the rest defence and inside forward for far post goals. On the right, inverted winger for creativity & fullback with attack duty. On the center area, defensive midfielder with defend duty, b2b for attack & defence balance and mezzala with attack duty. and deep lying striker for connect everything. 

idea is simple: short passes, score with striker, wings & mezzala. pressing in the high line but don't always run every side of the pitch, because it isn't possible, right? i make this tactic and things go terrible. terrible. i saw gyr's 4-3-3 tactic. advanced forward, inside forwards with attack duties, double wingback, double mezzala with attack duties, high press, counter, attacking mentality... i try this and everything is perfect. but i said to myself it isn't realistic. no rest deffence, absurd attacking roles, absurd pressing etc. 

so this is my question: is it football manager or find-the-meta manager?

3 hours ago, batsy23 said:

This. This is a problem. 

I started a santa clara save and when i saw the team, i said to myself "i can build a fluid, delicious team". Positive game. Short passes, normal tempo, far post & low passes/crosses, goals in the box etc. Idea is simple but i got the right personal for me! On the left, fullback/support for the rest defence and inside forward for far post goals. On the right, inverted winger for creativity & fullback with attack duty. On the center area, defensive midfielder with defend duty, b2b for attack & defence balance and mezzala with attack duty. and deep lying striker for connect everything. 

idea is simple: short passes, score with striker, wings & mezzala. pressing in the high line but don't always run every side of the pitch, because it isn't possible, right? i make this tactic and things go terrible. terrible. i saw gyr's 4-3-3 tactic. advanced forward, inside forwards with attack duties, double wingback, double mezzala with attack duties, high press, counter, attacking mentality... i try this and everything is perfect. but i said to myself it isn't realistic. no rest deffence, absurd attacking roles, absurd pressing etc. 

so this is my question: is it football manager or find-the-meta manager?

The game has been like this for a few years now. If you want a proper challenge and actually a save that keeps you interested for more than just two seasons then you play system that is not ultra pressing, balls to the wall geggenpress with 6-7 attack duties. You set up a balanced tactic that actually makes logical sense. But then you have to accept that you won't win every game. And maybe have to do quite a bit of micromanagement match to match and try to adapt to your opponents. It might not be the most efficient "meta-munchkin" way of playing but I find it fun and engaging. Plug and win geggenpress tactics do nothing for me because I don't just play this game to win trophies with Man City. I play it to actually learn something about tactics and football. And see what kind of crazy good wonderkids my club's "cantera" can develop.

Edited by crusadertsar

Are Match Plans only used when getting an "Instant Result"? I read about them in the manual, but it doesn't seem to say. I know I have the choice to choose a match plan when I use Instant Result, but does a Match Plan get used any time? Like when I'm watching a match, will it make changes for me then? How about when I go on Holiday?

Le 03/02/2024 à 09:11, whatsupdoc a dit :

The central midfielders: 

Don't use any "playmaker" role as it will suck them toward the ball. 

In a 4-3-3 try mezzala (Attack).

Or try them starting higher with an AM (s) role.  

I wouldn't get your hopes up though. 

The striker. Not really. Pick a role with moves into channels. Perhaps try roam from position. Teach them player traits to get them to move wide.

Le 03/02/2024 à 09:28, Cloud9 a dit :

On the striker try a Poacher without options via proper support :thup: Auba is a classic poacher IRL!

On the midfielders...they are two 8's in a 5-3-2 yes? You could try distribute to the 6 w/comes deep to get ball on him to get this kind of interaction. Keeping the line of engagement high might help as well. 

Thanks @whatsupdoc @Cloud9 for sharing your ideas with us :)

In the 352 proposed by Gattuso, it seems that the two out of the three are number 8's. In all the roles currently proposed in the opus, without getting too far ahead of myself, the only role likely to have a high positioning is Mezzala. Unless the height of the line of engagement could allow other roles to be positioned high up in the middle ? There is one particularity to note regarding the positioning of the central defender in this match, playing the role of libero in support of the third midfielder.

As far as the striker is concerned, I read something interesting in @Rashidi Daljit's guide (The book of roles), in a line of two strikers, each with an advanced attacking role, there is an automatic alternation, with one dropping back to play off-centre and the other positioning himself deeper, on the alert.

Citation

While a lone AF will be the focus of attacks for his team, a side that is playing two AF will normally see one occasionally drop deep to receive the ball when that ball is progressing down his flank.

When using one striker the AF will be the focal point of attacks. In two striker set ups the use of 2 AFs is interesting, since one might drop back during the progression phase, leaving the other in an advanced position. (page 122 in the guide)

Citation

Movement of the DLF and the PF are not dissimilar the biggest difference is generally the way his pressing instructions can affect his starting point in the buildup to attacks.

Supports play in the build-up phase.

A pressing forward supports play like a false 9 and a DLF by moving to the areas of the pitch he is needed. (page 134 in the guide)

The pressing forward can also offer support on the flank, helping to build play, as can the false 9, deep lying forward and complete forward (creative strikers). 
In this scenario, would it make sense to have two AFs ? That is a good question :)

Edited by Batigoal__