Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

4 hours ago, Englishhammer said:

Does the PI shoot more often work with Finishing or Long Shots attributes?

Depends where the player is playing too, a BBM or Volante type role might find themselves with shooting chances outside of the box so Longshots would come into play here. 

For roles that find themselves in the box a lot, an AF(A), IF(A) or MEZZ(A) say, Finishing is the one to look out for 

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

should know the answer to this but I don't...

If I have an AML, for example, and I want him to contribute in the defensive phase by being a little tighter, would setting him to mark the position (importantly, not a position used by them), as seen below, help?

cf4c36c50177a95bfe50cc8f12a57c16.png

Or is this ineffectual because there is nobody to mark?

---

Thanks!!

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

should know the answer to this but I don't...

If I have an AML, for example, and I want him to contribute in the defensive phase by being a little tighter, would setting him to mark the position (importantly, not a position used by them), as seen below, help?

cf4c36c50177a95bfe50cc8f12a57c16.png

Or is this ineffectual because there is nobody to mark?

---

Thanks!!

He will mark the position when an opposition player moves into that space of the pitch.

Edited by Cloud9

10 hours ago, Viking said:

How do you win games after January when every single team "sit back"?

Slow down and play more patient. Clearly assign duties to your players to encourage a more structured approach. Increase the number of players who participate in the attack. 

9 hours ago, fraudiola said:

does work ball into box influence long passes behind or just final third stuff? 

It's more versatile than it sounds in my experience. On paper it sounds like you should only use it when you're the big side w/lots of possession, but at least in my tinkering that doesn't have to be the case. 

For example, I've found you can use it in a counter attacking set-up quite nicely which didn't make sense intuitively (at least for me). Mostly it seems to prevent players from taking on long shots and players crossing the ball as often. It doesn't prevent them from making a pass in behind. 

I would recommend using it in combination w/another TI in a 15ish minute section of a match. 

Edited by Cloud9

6 minutes ago, sonnevillejr said:

Is a Pressing Forward on attack a main goalscorer (just like an AF) since the finishing attribute is not highlighted as "key"? Would you pair him a SS in a 5221?

I think he is yes, he'll be in the box a lot with a high mentality so why it's only preferred, only SI know :D

I think it's fine to use a SS in 5-2-2-1, I don't find them all that aggressive to be honest, would depend on the rest of the setup 

9 hours ago, nick1408 said:

What is YAC?  I’ve seen the acronym a few times but can’t work out what it is. 

thanks! 

Nothing to do with T&T but the Youth Academy Challenge, give it a shot :thup:

The FM23 Youth Academy Challenge - Challenges, Sign-Ups & Experiments - Sports Interactive Community (sigames.com)

I'm playing a very standard 4231 gegenpress with Dortmund. Planning on to use a BBM and a BWM as a CM duo due to a lack of a DLP. My playmaker is the AP at AMC.

My question: BWM on defend or support?

Edited by Skywalk3r83

2 hours ago, Skywalk3r83 said:

I'm playing a very standard 4231 gegenpress with Dortmund. Planning on to use a BBM and a BWM as a CM duo due to a lack of a DLP. My playmaker is the AP at AMC.

My question: BWM on defend or support?

I would recommend dropping the pivot back and use a SV instead of the BBM. It's an effectively a defensive BBM. 

You might look to pair the BBM/SV with a holding midfielder who isn't a BWM (he will be charging around). I'd suggest a DM(s) w/hold position. 

If you want to run a pivot in the CM strata, I would forgo the roamer for a double pivot. CMs + CMs, CM(d) + CM(s) are good options. Apply hold position on one or both. DLP(s)/BWM(d) is the classic combo that works nicely in the CM strata as well, if you end up picking up a capable player. 

Edited by Cloud9

On 02/08/2023 at 11:37, Johnny Ace said:

Just crosses and long shots 

I have test some tactics without “Work Ball Into Box” and i got the negative advice from my staff about long range shots so i tried the same tactic with that TI and i got the same result. What is the problem you think here?

33 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Why not a DM (D)?

That can work too :thup:

A high press can benefit from having the DM's pushed up in the midfield, this was just a way for them to get the best of both worlds (a defensive box to box and a holding DM(s) who will be a little bit higher up the pitch to help out). 

5 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

I would recommend dropping the pivot back and use a SV instead of the BBM. It's an effectively a defensive BBM. 

You might look to pair the BBM/SV with a holding midfielder who isn't a BWM (he will be charging around). I'd suggest a DM(s) w/hold position. 

If you want to run a pivot in the CM strata, I would forgo the roamer for a double pivot. CMs + CMs, CM(d) + CM(s) are good options. Apply hold position on one or both. DLP(s)/BWM(d) is the classic combo that works nicely in the CM strata as well, if you end up picking up a capable player. 

Thanks. Going to test a DM pair first. 

3 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

That can work too :thup:

A high press can benefit from having the DM's pushed up in the midfield, this was just a way for them to get the best of both worlds (a defensive box to box and a holding DM(s) who will be a little bit higher up the pitch to help out). 

So you think a DM (S) with hold position would actually be better in a high press rather than a DM (D)? Because I'm playng a 4-2-3-1 myself and my pairing is a DM (D) and SV (S). I have a WB (A) on the side of the DM though which is why I had him on a defend duty.

6 hours ago, dzek said:

I have test some tactics without “Work Ball Into Box” and i got the negative advice from my staff about long range shots so i tried the same tactic with that TI and i got the same result. What is the problem you think here?

Could be an individual player, see if someone's taking a lot of long range efforts. See if his profile gives any hints. Could be you're winning a lot of freekicks within shooting distance. If they're coming from open play, see if you're tactic is too aggressive or individuals are being left without options in attacking areas 

@Gee_Simpson A DM(S) with or without Hold Position/VOL(S) is a sound partnership (player dependant), even with your WB(A), it's easy shift you can make to be more or less defensive/attacking   

36 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

A DM(S) with or without Hold Position/VOL(S) is a sound partnership (player dependant), even with your WB(A), it's easy shift you can make to be more or less defensive/attacking

Interesting. I'll definitely keep that in mind then, thanks. I guess on a support duty he will also be more prepared to play progressive passes if I required that in certain games. Like you said, I can switch between the two as I see fit on a game per game basis.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

9 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Interesting. I'll definitely keep that in mind then, thanks. I guess on a support duty he will also be more prepared to play progressive passes if I required that in certain games. Like you said, I can switch between the two as I see fit on a game per game basis.

The higher positioning is quite nice in and out of possession. 

I would consider flipping him back to a DM(d) in games where the team is getting caught on the counter frequently. 

54 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Depends on your forwards 

12 minutes ago, fc.cadoni said:

This, but if you have small and fast players Low Crosses plus Dribble More, Take More Risks in PI.

My forwards are small and fast and i use low crosses but there are many unsuccesfull in most games.

On 12/08/2023 at 12:10, dzek said:

Yes

Post your tactic and maybe we can diagnosis what's going on? Sounds strange. 

In general:

• Lofted is good if frontline taller than opposition CBs (I usually aim crosses to a TF w/this). 
  • Low is good if small and fast. Good for counters.
  • Whipped is good to cause chaos. Ie. if you're the underdog and you don't think you can win a cross normally or you're trying to break down opposition who are parking the bus. I would only consider this if you've got players with good crossing + technique as well. 
  • Mixed is quite nice for a lot of situations.

Can add that TI to "hit crosses early" for some nice combos depending on your setup. 

Edited by Cloud9

As a big team, let's say Man Utd after winning the title a season or two, can you play a direct passing game?

I understand that when teams sit back and defend for a draw, you are supposed to play on a lower tempo with a formation that exploits the wings to stretch the play.

I was thinking of something like a DLP in a 4-2-3-1 DM wide pinging balls to an IW-a, AF-a and WB-a who then look towards creating something in the final third.

17 minutes ago, TehGoatLord said:

As a big team, let's say Man Utd after winning the title a season or two, can you play a direct passing game?

I understand that when teams sit back and defend for a draw, you are supposed to play on a lower tempo with a formation that exploits the wings to stretch the play.

I was thinking of something like a DLP in a 4-2-3-1 DM wide pinging balls to an IW-a, AF-a and WB-a who then look towards creating something in the final third.

It's viable if your players have great physical qualities (to win those more direct passes in the air) and great mentals (so they can find space to be passed to and judge where the passes are going). It's a great way to break through defensive teams :thup: 

9 hours ago, TehGoatLord said:

Regista might give you a bit more of those direct passes than the DLP. 

Has anyone else experienced a drop in attributes on a player when fully training them to a new position? Random attribute drops do happen, but the players in question are properly rotated/trained and the other players in the squad are progressing comfortably. 

3 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Has anyone else experienced a drop in attributes on a player when fully training them to a new position? Random attribute drops do happen, but the players in question are properly rotated/trained and the other players in the squad are progressing comfortably. 

Is he near to capping out his Potential? It could be he's having a slight drop in Attributes to make way for his new position. Bit of an extreme case as drops can happen during the season or periods of a career so unless it's a long term thing, it shouldn't have too much of an impact on the player   

13 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

That is normal to happen, because each position and each attribute have different weighting

10 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Is he near to capping out his Potential? It could be he's having a slight drop in Attributes to make way for his new position. Bit of an extreme case as drops can happen during the season or periods of a career so unless it's a long term thing, it shouldn't have too much of an impact on the player   

Been young 20s midfield players retrained to wingbacks mostly. At first I just thought it was just coincidence but it's happened pretty consistently with the players I retrained. 

33 minutes ago, fc.cadoni said:

That is normal to happen, because each position and each attribute have different weighting

Interesting, thanks for the link here. If you have a player adept at 3-4 positions, is it taking the heaviest weighting from each position then?

15 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Interesting, thanks for the link here. If you have a player adept at 3-4 positions, is it taking the heaviest weighting from each position then?

I am afraid that will require an answer from a developer, because I don't have an answer to this.

----

Interesting discussion here @Cloud9

Edited by fc.cadoni

Hi all,

I have created multiple training schemes and I would like to know if it's possible that they change automatically during the season?

I have 5 schemes in total, but i can't find if they are used automatically in the right time of the season.

Any tips/help is much appreciated.

I haven't played since FM21 and was looking at some of the very succesful tactics from the download/share tactics topics and it seems like there's a huge amount of attacking roles compared to FM 19-21. I saw multiple ones with like 5-7 attacking roles. What's that about? Some of those tactics seemed very counter intuitive to how I understand the game. One thing I already did notice from playing is that AMR/L seem to track back better on an attacking duty than they did before. Vinicius Jr. (IF/a and IW/a) is leading my tackles per game with about 4,2 per 90 :D

Edited by Puluzu
clarification

On 24/08/2023 at 10:54, koen.westerveldd said:

Hi all,

I have created multiple training schemes and I would like to know if it's possible that they change automatically during the season?

I have 5 schemes in total, but i can't find if they are used automatically in the right time of the season.

Any tips/help is much appreciated.

Honestly, not that I delve that much into training, I don't think you can do that

58 minutes ago, Puluzu said:

I haven't played since FM21 and was looking at some of the very succesful tactics from the download/share tactics topics and it seems like there's a huge amount of attacking roles compared to FM 19-21. I saw multiple ones with like 5-7 attacking roles. What's that about? Some of those tactics seemed very counter intuitive to how I understand the game. One thing I already did notice from playing is that AMR/L seem to track back better on an attacking duty than they did before. Vinicius Jr. (IF/a and IW/a) is leading my tackles per game with about 4,2 per 90 :D

Studying P&P tactics won't teach you much, carry on playing the way you understand, you'll learn more 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Studying P&P tactics won't teach you much, carry on playing the way you understand, you'll learn more 

I feel like I have learned a lot stuff from them in the past though. I don't use P&P because to me coming up with your own tactics is a huge part of the game, but I've definitely taken some ideas from them before. And this trend of more attacking duties on tactics where people are winning the PL with Brighton in year 1 seemed like something I should understand even if I don't emulate it. It definitely feels like some sort of ME exploit. I am not emulating it right now and doing well, but I still feel like there's some lesson to be learned there.

Edited by Puluzu
typo

On 28/08/2023 at 09:29, koen.westerveldd said:

@Johnny Ace is it useful to create my own schemes or should I use the standard ones?

I like to rotate but i don't know of it will help or not.

I have 4 / 6 training slots per week to fill, I play on Level 15 in England.

If I'm managing that low down the pyramid, I leave it to the ass man because training won't have a huge effect anyway 

If all other things are done 'right', in an aim to have a low PPDA (a relentless high press), does it help to use more risky in defending (positive, (very) attacking mentality) or is it better to have a less risky defending style (cautious or (very) defensive mentality)? Or isn't mentality a contributing factor in that?

On 28/08/2023 at 15:29, koen.westerveldd said:

@Johnny Ace is it useful to create my own schemes or should I use the standard ones?

I like to rotate but i don't know of it will help or not.

I have 4 / 6 training slots per week to fill, I play on Level 15 in England.

I'm down in those regions. I try to think realistically - me and my staff have mugged up on the Ladybird Book on Football Training. I just use General/Physical, Defence and Attack for 3 slots and Match Practice for the other. If I have extra it's another Defend and another Physical.

Hey everyone,

I've opened a thread on Marcelino's tactical recreation of the new Olympique de Marseille.
To date, I've tried a number of different roles without being able to come up with a scheme that's as close to reality as possible.
It's true that there aren't many participants in the thread at the moment, but I hope things will change soon.
I'm wondering about many of the positions, not to mention the 11 holders.
More specifically, the attacking duo. I've noticed that they're positioned very close together, almost mirroring each other, on the same line. 
The ball carrier encourages the striker to come forward and offer a solution, but in my opinion it's the players on the flanks (ML/MR, DL/DR) who should be offering themselves, leaving space for the striker up front.
The average positioning of the players below during the last Ligue 1 championship match gives an idea of the tactical scheme to be defined for those who have not visited the thread (Circle = Number of balls touched // Colour = Number of balls lost).
You'll notice that the forwards are 'stuck' on the same line.
The question : what roles are needed to create this combination ?
Thanks for your help :)

Average_positions_players-Nantes-OM.png

Edited by Batigoal__