Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

27 minutes ago, Bellyfish said:

image.png.7f4db1416e38853294251f252babf83b.png

How much importance should I give the extra attributes for a sweeper keeper (i.e first touch, acceleration, rushing out)? 

Above is a screenshot of my new keeper who the game suggests could play sweeper keeper support. However with 6 first touch and middling rushing out and acceleration values I don't think its a good idea.

SK(s) hard code adds "take more risks," SK(a) hard codes "takes more risks + dribble more.

If you don't want your goalkeeper to do those things play the SK(d), or even a standard GK. Depends on your tactic and where your defense line is as much as the player himself.

He's got great mentals which can cover up for his lack of mobility/technical attributes.

Edited by Cloud9

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 horas atrás, Johnny Ace disse:

How do you mean? Like an Anchor going forward?

Exactly. I have a pivot duo in front of the defense and the most defensive one is always more advanced in heatmap 

2 hours ago, Nick_CB said:

Exactly. I have a pivot duo in front of the defense and the most defensive one is always more advanced in heatmap 

What roles are you using?

Also, check the players mentality in the PIs + player traits.

2 hours ago, Nick_CB said:

Don’t be fooled by heat maps, they don’t always paint an accurate picture.  For example, the most defensive one could go forwards for corners with the more aggressive one staying back.  That would have an impact.

Watch what happens on the pitch to see if your players behave how you want 👍.

Not sure if the thread is for this type of questions, so sorry if posting in the wrong place

I got a youth player a little over a season ago and he has great potential, however, the physical stats are not great. I had been wanting to train him as a ball playing defender, but his jumping reach is not going higher even though he is 188 cm. Individual training early on said that it couldn't improve jumping reach any more. He is also not very fast, so fullback and wingback are not ideal, even though he already has good crossing.

How much should I rely on the physical stats improving in the next season or so to make him useful? And if they don't improve enough, is there a different type of position where he would be able to make an impact? 

image.png.1fb49dcef2c3448b9ce89363db70cdc2.png

On 25/05/2023 at 02:24, smoelf said:

Not sure if the thread is for this type of questions, so sorry if posting in the wrong place

I got a youth player a little over a season ago and he has great potential, however, the physical stats are not great. I had been wanting to train him as a ball playing defender, but his jumping reach is not going higher even though he is 188 cm. Individual training early on said that it couldn't improve jumping reach any more. He is also not very fast, so fullback and wingback are not ideal, even though he already has good crossing.

How much should I rely on the physical stats improving in the next season or so to make him useful? And if they don't improve enough, is there a different type of position where he would be able to make an impact? 

image.png.1fb49dcef2c3448b9ce89363db70cdc2.png

If you play 5 at the back he can be as a wide BPD for you when he grows up :) 

That jumping reach cap will be moved up as he gets older, but he's never going to be a towering center back. He's got great mentals for a 16 year old which can make up for his physical capabilities. I would play him as a BPD Stopper out wide and have him go attack the opposition. 

What do you do when nothing works anymore? I think I am tactically quite adept, but nothing seems to work.

However, tinkering about all possible solutions whether playing defensively or attacking and ending up losing most games is frustrating. Especially when I have better players than last year, and also actually players that can play their roles well.

8 minutes ago, iLikeTrains said:

What do you do when nothing works anymore? I think I am tactically quite adept, but nothing seems to work.

However, tinkering about all possible solutions whether playing defensively or attacking and ending up losing most games is frustrating. Especially when I have better players than last year, and also actually players that can play their roles well.

Sometimes it’s just a matter of time, especially if you overhauled your squad almost entirely. Players need time to adapt to their new club and may underperform at first.

Also don’t change up everything tactically, that worked before. Rather go with small adjustments. Think about what you are trying to achieve with a change. 

• 4 weeks later...

I want to create a style of play that basically is “annoying to meet”, in that they run a lot, disturbs opponents and in general works hard. Struggling a bit to find key instructions.

In terms of other tactical settings I am very pragmatic and I intend to change approach and formations depending on opponent, but I want the DNA intact. In defense we should hassle opponents (press but not necessarily a high line) and be in their face. In offense we should take a lot of sacrificing runs.

So far I have identified that I need players with high value in team work, work rate and stamina (maybe aggression?) . Tactically I am thinking a more intensive, compact press, and counter ticked on. The rest I am not sure of.

ant ideas?

11 hours ago, kennypavey said:

ant ideas?

Reading your first paragraph, my first thought was Aggression. Combine that with the other attributes you listed and create yourself a club DNA in key areas. By key areas, I meaning the spine of the team, you'll still need players that offer something different ie in creative and attacking areas of the pitch   

3 hours ago, Aoyao said:

HI, Here is a question about press intensity.

OI-trigger_press.png.9f921b3947d309db6e7bb14a09931d58.pngAll_trigger_press.png.83ab75753022170a2625de492947b93c.png

trigger-press-much.png.3ebca89ea8081bade11629c03447a882.png

Look above image.Are they the same tirrger press intensity in balance mentality?

They will be different :) In OIs you are requesting your players Trigger Press a certain player when he gets the ball. The TI requests your team to be more likely to trigger the press based on your LoE.

I would set the trigger press in your Tis to what you want (the more you trigger the press your more your team can get beat so it can be a double edged sword), and then go into the OI and select a handful of players you specifically want to target on the other team (weak concentration, weak first touch, playmaker, to create a pressing trap etc). I think the only manager in modern football who did the man for man pressing is Bielsa, but unfortunately his cult of personality isn't replicable in game. If you want to create unique pressing patterns look up how to create a pressing trap, and pull the pressing bars around (more/less often) in the players PIs instead of the team instruction. 

With OIs you want to keep into mind who will be doing the pressing on your team and the opposition player being pressed (avoid pressing good dribblers of the ball and players who are quicker than your player).

Over using the opposition instructions (like above) will pull your players all over the pitch and likely your press falling apart. 

Edited by Cloud9

21 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

They will be different :) In OIs you are requesting your players Trigger Press a certain player when he gets the ball. The TI requests your team to be more likely to trigger the press based on your LoE.

I would set the trigger press in your Tis to what you want (the more you trigger the press your more your team can get beat so it can be a double edged sword), and then go into the OI and select a handful of players you specifically want to target on the other team (weak concentration, weak first touch, playmaker, to create a pressing trap etc). I think the only manager in modern football who did the man for man pressing is Bielsa, but unfortunately his cult of personality isn't replicable in game. If you want to create unique pressing patterns look up how to create a pressing trap, and pull the pressing bars around (more/less often) in the players PIs instead of the team instruction. 

With OIs you want to keep into mind who will be doing the pressing on your team and the opposition player being pressed (avoid pressing good dribblers of the ball and players who are quicker than your player).

Over using the opposition instructions (like above) will pull your players all over the pitch and likely your press falling apart. 

Thanks for your replye.

In my mind,OI press and TI&press are the same intensity when opposition player carried ball into the block.

In the other words. PI set MORE OFTEN PRESS is the same intensity with OI ALWAYS press when opposition player carride ball into the same zone.

image.thumb.png.dfcf1a6e9ab711c4eb39dab82daeb311.png

Linke here

Edited by Aoyao

I've got a top 6 opposition team in my current save who run with a 4-4-2. Each time I play them they seem to be able to score the typical long through ball goal. Using a 4-3-3 on positive with higher defensive line by default. What changes should I make to defend better against this particular formation?

So far I drop the defensive line to standard and try and press their midfield players to give them less time for the killer pass.

Edited by Bellyfish

17 hours ago, Bellyfish said:

I've got a top 6 opposition team in my current save who run with a 4-4-2. Each time I play them they seem to be able to score the typical long through ball goal. Using a 4-3-3 on positive with higher defensive line by default. What changes should I make to defend better against this particular formation?

So far I drop the defensive line to standard and try and press their midfield players to give them less time for the killer pass.

If they're bringing the game to you, I'd go through the center and bash them.

4-4-2 doesn't put pressure on your wingbacks so they're free to get forward as well. 

Edited by Cloud9

On 01/07/2023 at 10:27, Salsa666 said:

Is there any way to make my amcr to drift out wide more frequently ( thinking about de bruyne)?

i have a 5-2-2-1 wb dm amc formation. Behind my right amc i have a iwb.

Adding move into channels/ roam from position should encourage off the ball movement but it won't guarantee he'll drift to the right, that plus giving him the space to move into (which sounds like you're doing) is about all you can do. 

On 27/06/2023 at 18:07, Bellyfish said:

442 can be tough. I've found success by both stopping supply and changing defensive duties. When running the 433 DM I'd stick a cover duty on the CB on the side of the opposition's attacking striker. I would then add PI Man Mark the other striker to your DM. 

Of course your players need to be capable but this has helped me multiple times against elite 442's.

Also, watching the match helps. Here is an example of adjusting to a 442:

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/557922-the-fm22-youth-academy-challenge/?do=findComment&comment=13670605

Edited by toshimitzou1

13 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

How does a cut inside from left wing (as a trait)  works for a player whose right foot is weak?

The same how it does for a player with a strong right foot, he'll look to cut in but on his weaker foot 

8 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Pretty much yeah, the opposite to what you want if you want an inverted wide player

The games confuses me from time to time. Saw another player who both had "runs down left" and "cuts inside from the left"

Also, another player i bought gave a 35y assist with his supposedly weak foot :p

10 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

The games confuses me from time to time. Saw another player who both had "runs down left" and "cuts inside from the left"

Also, another player i bought gave a 35y assist with his supposedly weak foot :p

The crazy World of Football Manager, you gotta love it :lol:

A few of my main attacking players have the looks for pass instead of shooting trait. Will this have a negative effect on my attacking play in the long term and would I be better moving them on? I can't seem to remove it when I try. 

Edited by Bohsjohn

2 hours ago, mikcheck said:

If you guys use a winger with a role like WP or if you want that player to stay narrow and/or cut inside, do you also instruct the fullback on his side to stay wider?

You want a player looking to stretch the pitch for you.

I prefer "run wide with the ball" instead of "stay wider." The FB will support in the attacking phase without pulling your defence out of line. 

4 hours ago, mikcheck said:

If you guys use a winger with a role like WP or if you want that player to stay narrow and/or cut inside, do you also instruct the fullback on his side to stay wider?

I like a Wingback in general but it can depend, you can form a nice tight unit with FBs 

3 hours ago, Bohsjohn said:

A few of my main attacking players have the looks for pass instead of shooting trait. Will this have a negative effect on my attacking play in the long term and would I be better moving them on? I can't seem to remove it when I try. 

Yeah, it's an attack "blunter" as it's discouraging players to shoot, they will pick their moments. Could be a good or bad thing depending on how you want to play  

15 horas atrás, Johnny Ace disse:

I like a Wingback in general but it can depend, you can form a nice tight unit with FBs 

I assume that using a FB(s) with "get forward" PI it's basically the same as a WB(s)? The mentality is the same, the difference is that WB(s) runs wide with the ball too

39 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

I assume that using a FB(s) with "get forward" PI it's basically the same as a WB(s)? The mentality is the same, the difference is that WB(s) runs wide with the ball too

I think Wingbacks generally stay wider and Fullbacks will tuck in a little in comparison

1 minute ago, mikcheck said:

I know this is very random, but what's the role you use the most there, WB?

Most? The Wingback probably but I usually play 4-2-3-1 DM with a Defensive Midfielder or DLP so I give them some licence. Sometimes I'll use a FB(A) or CWB(S/A) if I'm using a Winger to give them the chance to pop up on the inside  

Has anyone ever used a giant Enganche? Thinking along the lines of how Fellaini was deployed at Man U at times of desperation, sure Man U used Wout Weghurst there too last season in a similar role   

ETA: Could be a tactical revelation this :D

Spoiler

GiantEnganche.gif.aeeb096c3a2ad7f931469ca97e3d47af.gifGiantEnganche2.gif.194a2b4d8ef825b4bc7de1acf90843ed.gif

On 14/07/2023 at 14:33, Johnny Ace said:

Has anyone ever used a giant Enganche? Thinking along the lines of how Fellaini was deployed at Man U at times of desperation, sure Man U used Wout Weghurst there too last season in a similar role   

Hide contents

GiantEnganche.gif.aeeb096c3a2ad7f931469ca97e3d47af.gifGiantEnganche2.gif.194a2b4d8ef825b4bc7de1acf90843ed.gif

Never done exactly that but I have tried using a target man type of player at AMC in various roles. It's never really been effective for me which I'm sure is because I just don't know what I'm doing...

On 14/07/2023 at 11:33, Johnny Ace said:

Reveal hidden contents

Are you pairing him with the poacher?

Big man/little man combo from a little deeper :thup:

42 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Are you pairing him with the poacher?

Big man/little man combo from a little deeper :thup:

Yes mate :thup: It does play out like that at times as per the GIFs, seems a good way to break down stubborn defences/ 5 at the backs too 

Stupid question for the zillionth time, but: how does mentality affect the defensive phase of the game? I have the prejuidice that 'very defensive' makes players play closer together and more often than not swarm the opponent with the ball with multiple players (which I like), but that 'very attacking' is, well, more aggressive, but you'll see more 'one vs one'-s, a wider setup (even on narrow) - and for the replication of Red Bull like teams (again, which I like), you need both aspects. Any ideas to combine both extremities without ending up with a balanced compromise?

(For me, it's less about results initially and more about playing style. I want a compact, aggressive, direct team that with and without the ball plays closely together. Furious tempo in possession, swarm of gegenpress players in transition.)

32 minutes ago, Kcinnay said:

Stupid question for the zillionth time, but: how does mentality affect the defensive phase of the game? I have the prejuidice that 'very defensive' makes players play closer together and more often than not swarm the opponent with the ball with multiple players (which I like), but that 'very attacking' is, well, more aggressive, but you'll see more 'one vs one'-s, a wider setup (even on narrow) - and for the replication of Red Bull like teams (again, which I like), you need both aspects. Any ideas to combine both extremities without ending up with a balanced compromise?

Your lines, width and combination of roles and duties is what will help keep your players more compact, vertically and horizontally. The higher the team mentality, the more aggressive the team will be out of possession by default, roles can have an impact too

32 minutes ago, Kcinnay said:

(For me, it's less about results initially and more about playing style. I want a compact, aggressive, direct team that with and without the ball plays closely together. Furious tempo in possession, swarm of gegenpress players in transition.)

Compress the lines likes a Higher Defensive line and Mid Block or Much Higher Defensive line and High Press, depending on how high your willing to press up the pitch. Counter Press, More or Much More Urgent triggers then you'd have to be careful with your role and duty selection so that players aren't advancing too early

You might be better off creating a starting point, trying it out for a few games and see how it goes then if you need further help, start up a thread 

What kind of football would be best suited to the 'Run at defence' TI? I know there's probably more than one answer but I was thinking counter attacking. Does anyone use it to benefit their style?

Edited by Englishhammer

5 hours ago, Englishhammer said:

What kind of football would be best suited to the 'Run at defence' TI? I know there's probably more than one answer but I was thinking counter attacking. Does anyone use it to benefit their style?

Yes it can work very nicely when there's space to run at. Combining it with "pass into space' can help with those counters you mention.

• I personally don't use it too often as an AF will already look to do a lot of that on his own, even w/out additional instructions added on. 
  • The TI will impact your whole squads tendency to do it, which can cause some problems in a structured setup.
    • If you're less worried about the structure (plays who dribble are then out of position if the ball turns over), it can provide some extra fizz to your offensive threat. 

I'd watch how your team behaves w/it on in the ME and then decide if you want to use it from there. 

43 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

@Cloud9

Similar to the above question, would the dribble less TI be beneficial for a kind of 1 touch type football? Pass and move basically, or is it unnecessary?

I don't have too much experience with that one unfortunately. I would think it would be useful in a possession style game, but might make your team a little static. A lot of my tactics are counter based systems so the more negative TIs can result in the boys being too passive.

Usually my approach to TIs is to use as few as possible (leaving them blank) in the initial tactic and focus more on the PIs. 

• I'll then use the TIs as in match changeand by looking for combinations of the TIs that I think work well together. 
    • For example: When countering on a midblock a nice in match change can be to "hit crosses early" + "pass into space" if I'm looking for a goal. 

On that note you could try to use it in a section of the match where you were looking to control the play a bit? Finding an effective TI to pair with it would be a good start. Maybe something like "dribble less" + "work ball into the box" could have an interesting impact on a high lines system. 

Edited by Cloud9

5 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

I don't have too much experience with that one unfortunately. I would think it would be useful in a possession style game, but might make your team a little static. A lot of my tactics are counter based systems so the more negative TIs can result in the boys being too passive.

Usually my approach to TIs is to use as few as possible (leaving them blank) in the initial tactic and focus more on the PIs. 

• I'll then use the TIs as in match changeand by looking for combinations of the TIs that I think work well together. 
    • For example: When countering on a midblock a nice in match change can be to "hit crosses early" + "pass into space" if I'm looking for a goal. 

On that note you could try to use it in a section of the match where you were looking to control the play a bit? Finding an effective TI to pair with it would be a good start. Maybe something like "dribble less" + "work ball into the box" could have an interesting impact on a high lines system. 

I actually play an aggressive system out of possession, high lines, aggressive pressing etc, so that could come in useful, thanks. 

2 hours ago, mikcheck said:

How do you guys normally use your crosses? Mixed?

For example if you have a striker good in the air and also fast, it's a good option to leave it on mixed?

But if he's weak at jumping but fast, low crosses maybe?

Thanks

Yeah, pretty much.

40 minutes ago, Englishhammer said:

Does the PI shoot more often work with Finishing or Long Shots attributes?

Both, the PI just means that when on the ball their tendency to take a shot is increased. 

If it's short or long-range will depend on where on the pitch their position puts them. 

Just a heads up: shoot more often can be a little tricky as the player will take on more low % shots, which isn't always a positive thing. 

Edited by Cloud9