Football Manager 2012 Announced!

I was unsure about that as well. But very happy with some of the other offerings. Looking forward to more announcements and additional features being outlined.

I suspect Director Cam will be a combination of all the other camera angles that can be assigned by a view editor to particular areas of play, eg for a corner you could select "behind goal", normal play maybe "TV view" etc (but I may be wrong).

Or maybe it is a "Directors Cut" type thing, where you get a bonus 10 mins of stuff editid out because no one wanted to watch it...or maybe alternative endings.... :-)

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will the improved graphics ask more of my laptop? It handles the FM11 graphics ok, I hope it will do the same with FM12. I fear a slight increase in required graphic specs will ruin it for me..

I love prospect of Manage Anywhere Anyime - it means you can keep the game trim when managing at lower league levels and only bring in the top leagues of other countries once you get some promotions. So once you need a Belgium feder team, you can turn Belgium on.

Good afternoon, I am a forum moderator general Portuguese, and all our members enjoyed the FM 2012 had personal life, because we can not earn wages and enjoy the same and I think that would give more life to the game. Also squeamish players that we could buy for half of their season ticket or even going to buy players to "bits" ... ex: 50,65,70%, etc ... Pass that player ... Would make the game even more real

PS: Sorry about my bad English but I'm not there very good at expressing myself in English

I have a request for FM 12.

I want you to put in an option to say to your players that if they shoot instead of passing to an open player who will 100% score that you will take their wages for punishment. I'm sick of players shooting it in the stands instead of passing for a certain goal.

I have a request for FM 12.

I want you to put in an option to say to your players that if they shoot instead of passing to an open player who will 100% score that you will take their wages for punishment. I'm sick of players shooting it in the stands instead of passing for a certain goal.

100% sure this will not be included

Tone – a whole new level has been added to team talks and conversations, with the new tone system, which allows you to specify the way you want to say things – be as cool as a cucumber by saying things calmly or throw tea cups around by saying things with passion. There are 6 different tones to choose from with specific comments per tone.

Yesssss! I finally get my Peter Reid button! :D

Drooling over the screenies....and once again Im getting wrapped up in the hype and getting excited!! Every year I say I can wait til xmas and every year I run to get it on release day! lol

Ugh same, even when theres a poor version ill run out and buy the following game the next year.

I had about 19hours of playtime on FM08, my lowest on any FM by at least 500 hours, i just never liked it. Yet come release day i bought FM09 without a second thought.

Curse you SI!

I'll play the demo and see how it goes, FM11 runs too slow even on my Sony Vaio even though I have 5 stars for speed for FM11. I still can't see why SI can't get the game running quicker. Seems to actually go slower each year.

They're unwilling to fully embrace multi core technology, despite 99% of their userbase having dual core at an absolute minimum

last time they did a poll, turns out this was not the case at all. The majority were still on 32 bit. Most FM were technologically behind the average gamer.

I'll play the demo and see how it goes, FM11 runs too slow even on my Sony Vaio even though I have 5 stars for speed for FM11. I still can't see why SI can't get the game running quicker. Seems to actually go slower each year.

Start system rating is flawed in FM 10 and FM 11.

When will SI release more pics and videos?

In September.

Curious, with your announcement of higher resolutions, can we now play this on eyefinity/nvidia surround on 3 screens without making the graphics go wonky? I always wanted to play on one screen and have the screens either side have reams of stats

last time they did a poll, turns out this was not the case at all. The majority were still on 32 bit. Most FM were technologically behind the average gamer.

Whether it's on 32 or 64 bit has nothing to do with whether it's single core or not.

And being low spec doesn't mean that you don't have dual core

Honestly, they could just throw out single core all together. dual core is A SIX YEAR OLD TECHNOLOGY, it's absolutely bloody insane anyone would still have single core processors(three years is a massive time in computer terms). Same goes for 64 bit. It's time old things start getting phased out by games, at this rate, windows will get rid of 32 bit and non multi core support before SI does(And i'm willing to bet it's going to do it with windows 9). No excuse whatsoever not to include even basic support for it, running two matches at the same time? A small thing that would give a huge increase in performance. Imagine what an increase an 8 core processor would do if the game were optimized for that.

Whether it's on 32 or 64 bit has nothing to do with whether it's single core or not.

And being low spec doesn't mean that you don't have dual core

most dont (or didnt at the time) and many play on low spec computers. No reason for them to significantly increase requirements unless they are sure the majority are dual core.

I would enjoy a sort of difficulty level as mentioned plenty times. Moderate - How it is now. I find it fairly difficult at times, then I find it easy so I wouldn't change to say an 'expert level' for every game but having that option would be excellent. What I mean by say an expert level is that every part of FM gets taken into account. In my current save, I'm 30 seasons in with Sutton United. I've won everything and still have and pretty much all I do is click through the season, buy the best young players at the start of the season and etc...AI never seems to improve. I even sell my best players in peak years and weaken my squad each year!

Expert mode would cover things like, training schedules and what are done in them affects players and teams more, scouting, instead of scouting for 1 match and having a report that is 99% right telling you a perfect recommendation of how good a certain player will be, far more scattered results, which means developing a player, well firstly scout may have got it completely wrong and there is just little potential in the lad. Or sending certain players out on loan is good for them/bad for others, not sure about individual tutoring and how realistic that is? some lads benefit from being exposed early, some don't. Depending on hidden characteristics. At the moment, it feels like I can buy the best youngsters and make them all into the player I want them to be, where really, it's so much different and less predictable.

Expert mode has AI teams constantly improving, changing tactics, building teams. Instead of me having a tactic for 15 years that never fails, I have to tweak it regularly to keep performing, tweak it even for matches because I know if I just go into a game with the same tactic, the AI will smash me because they have improved so much and built a great team. Rather than me feeling like I have an ultimate undefeatable tactic even with players who maybe are the best in the world but aren't stupidly above the rest. Finding the right players to settle in has far more effect, personality clashes, team building etc....i.e. expert mode covers every aspect and if you want to be successful at the VERY TOP, you have to everything right, in terms of regular/expert mode at lower divisions, there should be difference but not huge but at the very top, it should be about then being a top manager. I don't think winning the league with just about anyone after so many years because you have bought the best players is that difficult.

To be fair, I understand that's extremely difficult to do I imagine, having such a change in difficulty but it would be good in the future. I'm sure people who spend loads of time on FM to do everything right, as much as they strive for success on the game, they do it so well on the game they have stupid success. For example my mate who does everything, reads everything tactical etc...he wins everything with teams like Spurs within 3 years. He's done lower league games and won the Prem in 4 years with Ipswich. He says it gets to the point he don't want to be that successful, he'd rather struggle a lot more than he's doing.

Thankfully for me, I don't spend as much time doing every part of FM so my results are mixed bag so when success comes, I am far more happy with it but you can see why people would want it harder and at times I do. In reality, I have a few tactics that I could pull out and win things but I don't have full success because I regularly try different things, different tactics never done before etc...but could you imagine someone in the Prem just changing their tactic because they know it's too easy with a certain tactic? apart Guardiola who's probably getting fed up :D

so yes, I'd like the difficulty raised to stupid levels at the very top end of the game, meaning only the most thinking FM managers about can achieve success on the 'expert level' and I think that would provide a great challenge for many on the FM boards and they can't complain because they have the 'moderate' level to fall back on.

Apart from that, I'm interested and look forward to the new aditions, especially adding playable leagues.

Expert level would be absolutely amazing, but sadly it will never ever happen. Its just sad that SI seem to think a one size fits all policy works.

Not sure its just that, "expert mode" seems to cover what we have all been craving, a much stronger AI. something which is easier said than done. It would be nice to implement some sort of difficultly level, not a personal choice for me, but it would make sense given the diversity of the people who play the game.

Well yeah superior AI is obvious but if you take a look at the tactics forum its full of total noobs, how would they ever manage a game if their opponents could actually build up a decent squad. I have a sneaking suspicion that SI will never make AI squad building as good as it should be just so they keep the casual audience happy.

Well yeah superior AI is obvious but if you take a look at the tactics forum its full of total noobs, how would they ever manage a game if their opponents could actually build up a decent squad. I have a sneaking suspicion that SI will never make AI squad building as good as it should be just so they keep the casual audience happy.

I dont think that is the case, SI are one of the few that genuinely seem to care. And in any case human players will always have an advantage over the AI. Besides its the hardcore who generally seem to keep coming back each year, wouldnt make sense t eventually alienate them for the casual gamer.

In any case, unfair to judge until we get our hands on the demo, i live in eternal hope :thup:

What a great feature to manage everywhere you want. But I hope the match engine in the video is still not finished yet because I don't see any crossing-heading goal except 1 from indirect free kick.

well the video doesnt show many things.. but that doesnt mean they arent there :) - I'm sure they will release many videos of the next weeks/months

I hope this year's ME got the full back crossing, striker heading at goal back from 2010. I miss it, as it is completely gone in FM11.

When talking about improved AI, I don't think it is too difficult to make the good AI managers do things right. After all, if any good human manager gets rid of useless staff, useless players and set up an efficient tactic from day one - why shouldn't Mourinho, Guardiola and company do the same? The TC tactics that is loaded into the database as standard tactics are so poor and inefficient that it doesn't really matter how good the players are; any veteran FMer would easily surpass them after a few attempts. And there are many veterans!

If AI managers stopped taking reputation into account and started looking at star ratings of both CA and PA (both players and staff) like we do, started taking ALL attributes into account not only the key ones from TC just like we do, stopped having their players waste time and possession by passing irrelevantly between themselves in the midfield before shooting from distance and instead making sure that they score - just like we do (SI why don't you just remove the long shots slider - let it be covered by the attacking mentality and PPMs instead, that is more realistic since the first thing I've done since it was implemented a long time ago is to set it to rarely; shots from distance are poor decisions in all cases even though they score on them). Let them know what players constitute good tutors and use them on everyone who needs it just like we do.

And for God's sake make sure that they manage their team in a way that prevents them from having a whole team of ineligible players this time around!

They're unwilling to fully embrace multi core technology, despite 99% of their userbase having dual core at an absolute minimum

Then I'm probably with that 1%. I play FM on a low-end netbook (PB Dot) and any increase in minimal specs (especially graphics) would be the end of my FM-days..

Basically we're aware that FM occasionally encounters problems running on dual-graphics card machines. We've actually gone out and purchased some of the laptops we've come across on these forums suffering these issues to try and get to the bottom of this issue. When we have more of an idea I'll try and let you know. To be honest you've tried the majority of solutions I would have suggested, so I'd say for now continue to play on your Intel card if you can and we'll try and get this resolved. Apologies you've encountered this.

Please tell me this problem has been solved?

I only hope for FM12 they can include a "cancel change tactic" button. How many times have you prepared your final substitution and while it is waiting to change, you get a red card or an injury. Or a goal for that matter. It shouldn't really be that hard...

I have great respect for SI, I like that they are a company that genuinely interacts with it's fanbase, it is for this reason that I am going to voice my concern.

I have been an FM-head for many years and I have loved the game over those years but I feel myself becoming increasingly disillusioned with the game. The reason being the aforementioned AI team building skills or the lack there of. I enjoy long term games but this enjoyment is seriously marred by the inability of the AI to compete with me, it is depressing to watch the once great teams of world football fade into mere spectres of their former selves. This seriously impacts on ones ability to immerse yourself into the game world, once the illusion of immersion disappears you're simply left looking at numbers on a screen (not that fun).

Creating that suspension of disbelief is absolutely crucial for me, FM needs to make me forget about the fact that I am playing a game, they have to make me forget about all the mechanics underpinning the game, they have to make me feel that I am truly competing in the cut throat world of football (whilst not making it too real, I don't want to get fired every few weeks). For me personally the one main thing that prevents me from losing myself in this game is the sheer ineptitude of every other football club out there, BAM I remember it's a game when Man Utd buy Messi from Barca in the second season. This is for the vast majority of your user base a solo adventure thus they have to rely on the AI to immerse them in the game.

I am sure it is very difficult to code the AI properly without creating too hard a challenge but if you managed to tackle the issue of the AI I think you will have an absolutely amazing game on your hands and you'd have at least one more paying customer back(I didn't bother with FM 11)!

Anyway who knows, maybe you will stun me and announce something in the future.

Start system rating is flawed in FM 10 and FM 11.

In September.

Irrelevent. My laptop is one of the highest spec you can get with I7. FM runs so slow on any computer I have seen. This is why i may not get it this year, I am not spending half my time watching a processing bar.

You've been there then!

Irrelevent. My laptop is one of the highest spec you can get with I7. FM runs so slow on any computer I have seen. This is why i may not get it this year, I am not spending half my time watching a processing bar.

Tell me, what is slow for you?

I think this year i am not buying it.. Well at least not on the day it comes out..I prefer to see comments and see..I bought this game since it came out in 90's and got every single copy since then.. However, the game doesnt give me the same satisfaction as before.. in fact i stopped playing FM 11 since 4-5 months and stopped reading forums too..

Reasons why i am cold to towards the game this year :

a) I am sure it will be full of bugs.. For ex : President of A team is going to be the president of Rival B team..

b) Media System - I am fed up answering to the same questions .. Repetitive.. After 10 years he left my team, what do i think about his return ??? All the time same questions..same answers..

c) Transfer System is never enough.

d) Game gets very boring after couple of years.

It's good to have new features coming obviously every year.. for example, dynamic reputation last year and ability to add/remove leagues this year are fantastic additions.. But those i mentioned above are all always there and it makes it boring for me..

Archived