Football Manager 2012 Announced!

Haven't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, and I know it isn't the be all and end all, but whats up with the 15 year old looking graphics engine? I really thought there would have been an improvement over last years as in the grand scheme of things, it's awful considering the technology available to us today. If you're going to add a 3D match engine then at least do it properly, or just don't bother. I wouldn't miss it that much. Thats my opinion anyway.

I've always rushed out and bought FM blindly on release day but I don't think I will be doing that again. I'm just not very excited about FM12 because of some of the past versions and the way the series has been heading. I can only hope I'm proved wrong so fingers crossed.

I agree with this. The 3D engine doesn't look overly great - I would also prefer they either fixed it to make it look really nice, or got rid of it altogether (I know they won't however). It seems to me as though they added it as a big new feature and then didn't put too much attention into the graphical details of it. Obviously this isn't going to make or break a game like this because it's more about simulation than graphical content, but I sometimes like to imagine how much cooler FM would be if they combined the pretty good game engine with a really sweet looking 3D match engine.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with this. The 3D engine doesn't look overly great - I would also prefer they either fixed it to make it look really nice, or got rid of it altogether (I know they won't however). It seems to me as though they added it as a big new feature and then didn't put too much attention into the graphical details of it. Obviously this isn't going to make or break a game like this because it's more about simulation than graphical content, but I sometimes like to imagine how much cooler FM would be if they combined the pretty good game engine with a really sweet looking 3D match engine.

The problem is that people don't want a FIFA or Pro Evo style of play. Football Manager is quite chunky, it's a database driven game. It takes time to process. SI actually collects user data from the people playing the game, analysing system specs, screen resolution, etc. and use this build the graphics, the user interface, size of databases etc. so that the average computer specs for most people playing the game will actually be able to play it without too much lag.

Basically, I remember there being uproar when even asked to improve the graphics. But I think SI always said that they wouldn't add 3D game features until the technology became available to them to simulate the match properly.

There has been many improvements to the match player, players, celebrations, reactions, etc. of players and the game engine itself over the years. I think first and foremost they wanted to get the technology to simulate the match engine working correctly. Despite the graphics looking early 1990s FIFA, the match engine was simulated in 3D.

I think overtime, as the average user and system specs of computers increase, along with new technologies to advance the graphics, speed, database processing, become available that SI will incorporate these into the game.

I think the 3D graphics are pretty decent. It's not too detailed, which is fine by me. I don't need to see a players face, or ripples on their shirt. The idea of the 3D match engine was to experience your tactics in 3D, not to check out the abs on Ronaldo when he celebrates.

I think a notepad during the game itself will a lot to the manager experience.

Pen and paper, or a windowed mode of the game with notepad (or similar), your mobile phone, remember things in your head?

I don't know what notes you'd want to take during the game? All the stats are given in Panels, and you can see where players are playing poorly, along with the Assistant notes etc.

The notes are practically auto-generated...

One of the annoying futures of FM11 is that is takes too long to complete a season due to many unrelated news item clicking and watching highlight matches taking 15-20 minutes to complete.

Has this been optimized in FM12?

I totally agree.

Completely unimportant news items.

also agree that the drills were in 3d would be great to choose the 11 starting players on the team not to mention that you could devise some set pieces and absences were also well prepared, one thing I also would like it to be possible, is that the moment we are having a conversation with one of our players in private conversation, we could type the words that we liked best, including also the press conference!!

TIP ONLY ONE THAT I THINK WOULD HAVE A LITTLE MORE OF EMOTION WOULD BE THE TRAINING, THE PLAYERS SHOULD BE ON WAY 3D tactical training - TECHNICAL - FRAME PLAYS - TRAINING OF FOULS AND ETC ...

SO THE GAME WILL HAVE IN MY POINT OF VIEW AND IN MY HUMBLE OPINION MORE EMOTION.

anything, dribbling the tricks should be more realistic movement of the tricks goals realixtas a little more .... I see feints are not only seen the player to catch the ball and run with the ball ..... the movement of players should be a little more realistic ... the size of the players a bit more ..... the face of dolls tbem or interface should be improved .....

For example choose the leasing stage, arrange travel to games abroad, branded hotels in the case of games abroad. To organize games or tournaments abroad. All that the image of reality.

Option of going with the team on preparations (training camp)

-When you win an option to watch the trophy ceremony after the game

- More iterations with the fans and referees

training session should be improved. If we could see the players training that would help us find out more about the players. choosing the specific exercises and test some tactics during training.

-Option to put the price on tickets for each game

Option to sign with sponsors

More-option to control the finances (merchandise)

-When you win an option to watch the trophy ceremony after the game

I'd certainly like to see something akin to this, (optional of course) I've always felt the few dry statements you get on winning something are a hell of an anti climax.

"The board congratulate you on winning the Champions League but remind you to keep celebrations to a minimum to concentrate on future games"

It's the last game of the season. The ultimate club trophy to win. We're going to wreck the place.

Huh?.................

wen you contact steam support your issued an ticked wich indicates the status of your inquiry to the steam support steam , if you don't even know what that is, you don't even know if your issue is being taking care of

Yeh got a ticket. I've been on and on and on to them referencing the ticket number and no reply.

Thanks

wen you contact steam support your issued an ticked wich indicates the status of your inquiry to the steam support steam , if you don't even know what that is, you don't even know if your issue is being taking care of

Question about the "manage anywhere anytime" feature that just occurred to me:

SI said you can turn on inactive leagues whilst playing a game, but can you turn active leagues off?

For example, say I wanted to get my feet wet in a low-reputation league like Indonesia or Malaysia. I win some trophies, build up my reputation, and decide it's time to take the next step in my career, so I switch China and South Korea to active. Can I then switch Indonesia/Malaysia to inactive, so as to offset turning China/South Korea to active?

You know, the tone thing could get kind of confusing during team talks. Imagine saying angry with a calm tone? How would that work?

Manager: I know where you live.

Yeah, just dunno.

Yeah, say we can win and then throw a tea cup at them. You should be able to do a di canio and drag them off the pitch with their shirts, while saying 'I just want to say thank you'.

You know, the tone thing could get kind of confusing during team talks. Imagine saying angry with a calm tone? How would that work?

Manager: I know where you live.

Yeah, I dunno.

I'm pretty sure the answers available for each tone would only match that tone, so you wouldn't be able to say something angry in a calm tone. (gotta hope that's so anyway;))

I'd quite like the AI buying policy to reflect the European home grown rules better. I've just got Lazio into the Champions League after joining in November, only to find a grand total of 3 home grown players in the squad (and zero club trained).

One of the annoying futures of FM11 is that is takes too long to complete a season due to many unrelated news item clicking and watching highlight matches taking 15-20 minutes to complete.

Has this been optimized in FM12?

On a related note:

Please fix the time out so it stops at new items that can be answered but dont need to be answered to proceed.

The only choice are to click everything or skip everything but I only want to reply to things that need to be replied to.

One thing that does bother me is the media interaction about dangerman in the next match. They can say "player X must be stopped" 500 times and not once will your player be "X set for showdown" yet all you need to do is say it once and their players are fully motivated. It never works in our favour, always against us.

Has this changed for 2012?

That media interaction works, it just hides the PR response from you. If you've been watching the morale of the player they target, you'll see it rise or fall depending on their response. You just won't 'see' the response. I've seen players both rise and fall after they were mentioned by an opposition manager.

I am hoping that 'Scouting improvements' extends to player reports. Particularly the 'Weaknesses' section, telling me a player is A)'Poor at Set Pieces', B)'Long Throws Worst' and C)'Fairly Inconsistant' is two thirds useless, with only 'C' worth reporting. I don't need telling that which I can see for myself in his Attributes.

I hope that 'Injury Proneness' is at least given the highest priority of the Hidden Attribute weaknesses. 'Inconsistancy' is reported ahead of 'Injury Proneness' (FM10)

Hidden attributes here>

Injury Proneness 14, Consistancy 8 = 'Fairly Inconsistant' in Scout Report

If these things were introduced in FM11 then I will apologise and shut my mouth. ;) (still on FM10)

Cheers

xxx

please Si take a lot of things OUT of the managers hands, Yes i said OUT

for example how many managers IRL handle contract negotiations, you should be able to go to your board with a list of targets and say i'd like one of those please. maybe with the manager getting a somewhat limited involvement ie what status the player would have within the squad which would determine what the board offers him etc.

and for the love of god put the fear of god into the youth players, how many 18 yr old youth players would disagree with a world class manager. and if they did you should have the option to throw them out on their ear as per real life

oh and how about some good old fashioned greed? I mean C'mon any player offered 10 times his currently salary is going to jump ship. if in the real world a youngster is rotting in a bottom premier teams reserves and another Premier team were to come in and offer him ten times his wages he would be off like a rat up a drain pipe.

All I am hoping for in the improved scouting section is for my scout to tell me the player is better than my player in the position I am looking for....... For Instance, I goto the transfer screen, filter position to Central Midfield, I'm looking for a slightly attacking CM so I find an array of MCs and AMCs (of which the majorities natural position is AMC not MC) so I ask my scout for a report on a few and he comes back saying that the AMC are better than my AMC which isn't hard because the only one I got is U18s but what I wanted to know was is he better than my MC.

So hopefully there will be an option to tell my scout which position I want the player for, or my scout will automatically tell me how the player rates against the players in my team in the positions he can play in. So the same you apply if the player scouted was an AMRL so the scout report would say that the player even thought his natural position is AML he is not better that my current AML but he is better than my AMR.

I know there are occasions that even though the players stats look better than your current player but because it's not his natural position he may not be rated better.

Because I hate buying a player thinking he is going to be better than my current player only for my assistant to tell me he's not when I go into the reports.

Fair comment RE report button, have never done that, forgot it existed, so sorry about that. It does feel that this use of the word Gay is backdoor homophobia, no pun intended, and yes I know "kids" use that word to mean bad - doesnt make it alright though does it? I used the same word for that same purpose 30 years ago- and then a Lesbian friend who's sexuality had not been known to me at that point, pointed out how damaging that trivial treatment of the subject could potentially be. I now look back with regret on those days, hence my concern. The net result of these exchanges is that I will be less likely to visit any thread where such behaviour is so casually overlooked, I guess few will be upset by my abstinance but it is a shame. I like reading about the new game this time of year, just am not keen on homophobia in any shape or form especially when I know it is not likely to be discouraged, let alone punished. Those under the age of 35 or so will probably think Im being a "pussy", I wonder if they will have that same view in 20 years time - I suspect and hope not.

You're a giant fruit basket.

You're a giant fruit basket.

Not sure these threads were intended as a theatre for insulting people, and this thread less than most I imagine!. I can live with "fruit basket" though, better than homophobia & bigotry. Am amazed there is any resistance to the sentiments of my previous posts, I stand by every word and always will do.

Slight chance you're overreacting with the use of the word "gay", though. I didn't detect any derogatory sentiment from what was originally posted. Nor was it pointed at a living person, in fact it was aimed at a non-sentient computer game.

I don't know how anyone would take offense to that? I admit, name-calling someone would be grounds for argument, but that didn't happen.

<shrugs>

Viva la Football Manager

I haven't bought a version of this game since CM3. I played that game for years and loved every minute of it. I demoed FM11 and thought it was the first FM I would consider buying (and probably will this weekend). As for FM12, I would favour anything that would remove the tedious tasks from my control and focus more on what I deem are the essentials:

- Player development (includes realistic regens)

- AI team management

- Tactics

- Transfers

Everything else (3D, team talks, press conferences) is rather superfluous to me and can actually detract from the overall experience.

All I am hoping for in the improved scouting section is for my scout to tell me the player is better than my player in the position I am looking for....... For Instance, I goto the transfer screen, filter position to Central Midfield, I'm looking for a slightly attacking CM so I find an array of MCs and AMCs (of which the majorities natural position is AMC not MC) so I ask my scout for a report on a few and he comes back saying that the AMC are better than my AMC which isn't hard because the only one I got is U18s but what I wanted to know was is he better than my MC.

So hopefully there will be an option to tell my scout which position I want the player for, or my scout will automatically tell me how the player rates against the players in my team in the positions he can play in. So the same you apply if the player scouted was an AMRL so the scout report would say that the player even thought his natural position is AML he is not better that my current AML but he is better than my AMR.

I know there are occasions that even though the players stats look better than your current player but because it's not his natural position he may not be rated better.

Because I hate buying a player thinking he is going to be better than my current player only for my assistant to tell me he's not when I go into the reports.

Good points, I find scout reports now essential to assess potential signings more than in previous FM & old CM games. I have found that players with bad scout reports, no matter how good their stats, will always be a disappointment and players with poor stats but a glowing scout report will be a good investment, and this almost regardless of the Scout abilities (and over the last 2 years I can think of only one example that broke this rule of thumb in any save game of mine). This does make the game more immersive but makes "scouting" more time consuming. I hope scout reports will soon include comments on player mental state (I know there are defamation issues but a player who is likely to do something crazy and disharmonious will have history, something scouts would IRL pick up and report). EG Carlos Tevez report should suggest that he has a 2 year "itch".

I really hope the "next opposition" reports include advice on which tactics and shouts to use to gain an advantage. The Manager still has to consider how these recommendations may have another knock on effect (eg Ass Man says push full backs up as wing backs but if they are relatively slow players this could be exploited to your cost).

My request would also be to improve regens - I think they should be linked to youth facilities at clubs and not just the nation itself, if I were to imrpove a scottish or welsh teams youth facilities and scouting to the extent we could pick up and manage youth football at a very high level, we should get the odd world class regen.

I guess I'm the only one who wants dynamic rivalries in next years FM? There was some rumbling about that a few months ago before I left for deployment, now it seems the community is fine with the static rivalries.

Please S.I. can you add dynamic rivalries, that way whenever the player brings up a club from the lower echelons of a league system they can have new rivals to challenge the player on sells/buys or trophies. I don't think Liverpool or Man Utd envisioned Chelsea as one of their rivals but they probably do now since Chelsea got taken over and challenging for all honours also.

I guess I'm the only one who wants dynamic rivalries in next years FM? There was some rumbling about that a few months ago before I left for deployment, now it seems the community is fine with the static rivalries.

Please S.I. can you add dynamic rivalries, that way whenever the player brings up a club from the lower echelons of a league system they can have new rivals to challenge the player on sells/buys or trophies. I don't think Liverpool or Man Utd envisioned Chelsea as one of their rivals but they probably do now since Chelsea got taken over and challenging for all honours also.

. I agree dynamic rivalry would be a good edition to the game but the question is that where does it stop? Becuase you can't have a page full of rivalries. I can imagine how hard coded that will be.

Something like it exists in FM10. My team went from L2 to EPL then within a year or two of winning the EPL my scouts started to report that Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal would be unwilling to sell a player to a rival club. I didn't continue the save long enough to see if they ended up listed as rivals though.

Archived