Group C- Slovenia v England, BBC1, 3pm and USA v Algeria, BBC red button

bomma

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I will say is, a lot of the people that I know that are going crazy and really happy that we're through (even though getting through this group finishing second isn't much to shout about), they're the same people who will call the team **** when we inevitably go out in the next round/quarters to better opposition.

Who's the more bitter?

The people pointing out rightly that today really isn't something that should be celebrated as much as it is. That the performance was barely a level above what has gone before and that if they continue to perform like that they'll struggle against the better sides.

or

The Englishman who has to take a pop at Scotland & Wales who have populations of 5m & 3m respectively?

We know we're minor Footballing nations. It would be nice to be better and it would be nice to qualify, but we never kid ourselves that we're anything other than what we are.

not as bad as the scotsman or welshman has to take a pop at anything that happens in an english game or in the crowd or on tv though right?

see smallclone

are you guys really this sad?

we won we went through forgive us ffs for having some delight in going through!!

see you at the next wc scotland and wales? guess not

ignore them, they don't understand tension in a big tournament. Simple as.

TBF, some people have gone a bit ott with the anti english stufff, either through bitterness or just exagerating because they think it is funny to wind people up, but gregg really hasn't been one of them. He is just giving his opinion the same he would for any other team in the tournemant, without bias opinion.

I know Scotland didnt get to the finals, they didnt deserve to as they were shocking under Burley! A few of the players were going ballistic and I know some England fans who were going mad, just because they finished second in an awful group. I can understand the being happy and whatnot, but some people are just going too far.

well ok thats a fair comment. But I'd probably put that reaction down to a troubled week- where yeah England failed to really materialize, and taken a lot of media flack. And yes I think many of us know.. England aren't a big threat in the world cup- I think before the world cup and losses to Brazil and Spain indicated this. But till then I think England fans and players are entitled to enjoy it.

not as bad as the scotsman or welshman has to take a pop at anything that happens in an english game or in the crowd or on tv though right?

see smallclone

You know what? I agree with that. If people are doing as you say and just, if may borrow from the internet parlance du jour, hating on the English (is that even right? :D) then you've every right to give some back.

A few obvious exceptions aside (such as posting pictures of Algerian and Slovenian players celebrating :D) I've tried to call the matches as I've seen it, and tried to be honest about how I feel. It's very disappointing to receive accusations of being a troll for doing so, and reflects particularly badly on the accuser in terms of their ability to counter-argue, in my opinion.

Oh, and I'd also support Gregg's right to defend himself against troll accusations too, he was just raising a valid question.

see smallclone

See my other post about "bar one Welsh idiot".

Somebody made a point in another thread the other day about how you're our biggest (both Scotland & Wales) rivals, but we're not yours, Germany is, but you're not there's.

I don't see anything wrong with a bit of banter during the game, so long as it doesn't cross the line. Only smallclone crossed the line during the match itself.

Once the match itself was over, I think it's only fair that people actually talk about things in a relatively rational manner and while there will always be the usual banter, if people actually read what each other are saying rather than getting bogged down in pettiness, then surely it's better than all this guff that's gone on over the last few pages.

Oh, except, I reserve the right to just pick up on Razzlers posts and have a go at him for something that I've "read between the lines" for what he's said. Some of us have to have SOME hobbies. :D

All the people saying we shouldn't be celebrating like we won the world cup.

Of course we should. I am happy as an England fan because I got exactly what I wanted. If we play like we did today and go out in the second round, I will be happy with the performance. I couldnt have asked for anything more apart from goals. They played exactly like I thought they could play, that is why Fabio was also happy.

It was a very good performance in difficult circumstances.

I think you'll find, quite clearly, that I bolded the part where, in my opinion, you were trolling.

Because I said that people can rightly comment that it wasn't a great perormance today and that while they qualified, the manner in which it was done is something to be pleased about but not absolutely ecstatic about?

see is this post just something you've thought up to get bites?

who has actually said this?

Innit, were excited about getting through when it could've been different on another day. Not that hard to understand, if you know anything about the game...

Carter's clearly not trolling ffs, smallclone was. Actually, most of the comments have been pretty sensible from non-English fans, not far wide of the mark at all. And I have to say Englandmanager's comment about Wales/Scotland not being in the next World Cup was pretty cringeworthy. I'd love to see Wales in the next WC, what a crop of youngsters they have.

See my other post about "bar one Welsh idiot".

Somebody made a point in another thread the other day about how you're our biggest (both Scotland & Wales) rivals, but we're not yours, Germany is, but you're not there's.

I don't see anything wrong with a bit of banter during the game, so long as it doesn't cross the line. Only smallclone crossed the line during the match itself.

Once the match itself was over, I think it's only fair that people actually talk about things in a relatively rational manner and while there will always be the usual banter, if people actually read what each other are saying rather than getting bogged down in pettiness, then surely it's better than all this guff that's gone on over the last few pages.

Oh, except, I reserve the right to just pick up on Razzlers posts and have a go at him for something that I've "read between the lines" for what he's said. Some of us have to have SOME hobbies. :D

:thup: :thup: :thup:

Bar one idiot I don't see too much trolling...

You know what? I agree with that. If people are doing as you say and just, if may borrow from the internet parlance du jour, hating on the English (is that even right? :D) then you've every right to give some back.

A few obvious exceptions aside (such as posting pictures of Algerian and Slovenian players celebrating :D) I've tried to call the matches as I've seen it, and tried to be honest about how I feel. It's very disappointing to receive accusations of being a troll for doing so, and reflects particularly badly on the accuser in terms of their ability to counter-argue, in my opinion.

Oh, and I'd also support Gregg's right to defend himself against troll accusations too, he was just raising a valid question.

The question whereby he questioned why we English supporters were celebrating as much as we were because we reached the next round? Yes, valid question that :thup:

TBF, some people have gone a bit ott with the anti english stufff, either through bitterness or just exagerating because they think it is funny to wind people up, but gregg really hasn't been one of them. He is just giving his opinion the same he would for any other team in the tournemant, without bias opinion.

Except with Razzler. Where is the silly oilmonger anyways?

Who's the more bitter?

The people pointing out rightly that today really isn't something that should be celebrated as much as it is. That the performance was barely a level above what has gone before and that if they continue to perform like that they'll struggle against the better sides.

or

The Englishman who has to take a pop at Scotland & Wales who have populations of 5m & 3m respectively?

We know we're minor Footballing nations. It would be nice to be better and it would be nice to qualify, but we never kid ourselves that we're anything other than what we are.

I, quite rightly, couldn't give a f*** if Scotland/Wales/whoever never qualify for a major tournament. I am not interested in how they do.

What I don't agree with is how you say 'barely a level above what has gone before'. I take it you didn't watch the first two England games? Or did you not watch this one?

This was a step up in performance from England. We played with a much better tempo and controlled the game much better. Yes, the last 10-15mins were nervy, but that was to be expected.

Because I said that people can rightly comment that it wasn't a great perormance today and that while they qualified, the manner in which it was done is something to be pleased about but not absolutely ecstatic about?

I think you could understand that getting through to the next round in a World Cup, whether it be through luck, skill or whatever, is enough to be ecstatic about. Sure, we were horrific in one match and average in another, but that only gives us a better feeling when we go through.

Carter's clearly not trolling ffs, smallclone was. Actually, most of the comments have been pretty sensible from non-English fans, not far wide of the mark at all. And I have to say Englandmanager's comment about Wales/Scotland not being in the next World Cup was pretty cringeworthy. I'd love to see Wales in the next WC, what a crop of youngsters they have.

Not really, considering how FS we are I think it's really just a statement of the obvious :D

Reckon Wales have got a chance though.

Agree with Gregg, except that noob **** who made a thread.... Don't see a lot of anti-england remarks, if anything I was hoping you'd go through, although if you went out I won't deny it I would laugh....

I always maintain in these competitions. I'd like England to do well right up until the 90th minute of the World Cup final :D

I know the players better than I do other sides, I like the way they can play football when they really actually turn it on (today wasn't one of those days) and I always want to see Brits do well in Sport.

However, I reserve the right to laugh hysterically should England manage to royally eff things up.

All the people saying we shouldn't be celebrating like we won the world cup.

Of course we should. I am happy as an England fan because I got exactly what I wanted. If we play like we did today and go out in the second round, I will be happy with the performance. I couldnt have asked for anything more apart from goals. They played exactly like I thought they could play, that is why Fabio was also happy.

It was a very good performance in difficult circumstances.

I understand your point, and I can fully understand why you'd be relieved just to have made if through that game with a win, but to also do it playing some nice football must be especially pleasing for you.

*deep breath*

What irks me, though, is the hyperbole in the run-up to these games, stating the belief that England would win easily, and by four or five goals. That attitude, to my mind, shows some disrespect to Slovenia, and doesn't quite tie up with the magnitude of the celebrations.

Look, England played well today for 75 minutes, yes the lasts 15 minutes were fairly nervy but the defence stayed strong and Milner/Cole kept the ball well, good tempo performance by England, just need to score the goals.

Whether they can keep up today's performance in future games is another question.

Archived