Group C- Slovenia v England, BBC1, 3pm and USA v Algeria, BBC red button

bomma

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, at least England are actually there to have a pop at. The team had a job to do today and did it quite comfortably, although, I'd liked to have seen them be a bit clinical in front of goal.

glad the games on sunday can get royally ****ed up now on saturday night

I'm well ****ed off as I'm at Hard Rock Calling in Hyde Park on Sunday, so will probably miss the game.

An England match on a Saturday night in London would have been great.

Edit: Just checked the line-up and Crowded House are on at 16:15. Dilemma now over whether to miss the football or miss a band I've been wanting to see for years.

When did we ever say England didn't play well.....

If by 'we' you mean non-English Britons;

That the performance was barely a level above what has gone before and that if they continue to perform like that they'll struggle against the better sides

Posted by Gregg Carter.

And to think I fully support Scotland, Wales and NI when they play their qualifiers :(

I know the players better than I do other sides, I like the way they can play football when they really actually turn it on (today wasn't one of those days) and I always want to see Brits do well in Sport.

We didn't play that bad though Gregg. Look at the chances we created. Some of the moves were superb. Defoe's disallowed goal would of been a great goal. Rooney's shot that hit the post was a delicate chipped pass. We didn't play too much long ball. Gerrard and Rooney link well. It wasn't the best Capello performance, but it wasn't terrible. Defense held firm(ish). Where did you feel we didn't play well?

Maybe I'm looking at it compared to the Algeria game

I, for one, hope we get Germany in the next round. Would make for a great game if we play like we did today

I still think you need to step it up a bit, but you're well capable of it and it's definitely encouraging to see performance moving in the right direction.

Rooney just needs that first goal.

If by 'we' you mean non-English Britons;

Posted by Gregg Carter.

And to think I fully support Scotland, Wales and NI when they play their qualifiers :(

I don't see what's wrong with what I posted?

Were you better than the other games? Yes.

Did you deserve the win today? Yes.

Was this a classic England performance? No.

Yes you had more chances in this game than you had in previous games, but you failed to convert them, you still struggled in the final third. You also allowed your opponents to have a lot of chances that other, better sides would quite easily have taken more advantage of.

People are understandably pleased England are through to the knockout stages, but you already have people looking at who the opponents are going to be in the Quarter finals when a performance like that won't see you through the Round of 16.

It's not that it was a bad performance, but England still have a long way to go before they're in a position to challenge some of the better sides in this tournament.

We didn't play that bad though Gregg. Look at the chances we created. Some of the moves were superb. Defoe's disallowed goal would of been a great goal. Rooney's shot that hit the post was a delicate chipped pass. We didn't play too much long ball. Gerrard and Rooney link well. It wasn't the best Capello performance, but it wasn't terrible. Defense held firm(ish). Where did you feel we didn't play well?

Maybe I'm looking at it compared to the Algeria game

I can understand the euphoria and I'm not trying to troll. Just trying to say calm down a little bit, look at it without the rose tinted specs and try and look at aspects of the game that were clearly there that could cause you guys serious problems if they're not eradicated for the next game.

I can understand the euphoria and I'm not trying to troll. Just trying to say calm down a little bit, look at it without the rose tinted specs and try and look at aspects of the game that were clearly there that could cause you guys serious problems if they're not eradicated for the next game.

Such as the fact that it took three or four last-ditch tackles, albeit superb ones, or saves to stop Slovenia from scoring. I'm still a little concerned that the England defence is vulnerable.

Yes you had more chances in this game than you had in previous games, but you failed to convert them, you still struggled in the final third. You also allowed your opponents to have a lot of chances that other, better sides would quite easily have taken more advantage of.

People are understandably pleased England are through to the knockout stages, but you already have people looking at who the opponents are going to be in the Quarter finals when a performance like that won't see you through the Round of 16.

It's not that it was a bad performance, but England still have a long way to go before they're in a position to challenge some of the better sides in this tournament.

Come off it. That was a dominant performance and England could have won by 2 or 3 to be honest.

England fans are obviously going to be looking at the permutations for the future rounds. Why not?

Great performance from Milner and Defoe took his goal well. Surely both will start again.

I was intrigued by Joe Cole playing off Defoe in the second-half. Perhaps something we might see more of in the future?

You start w/out Heskey/Crouch in the knock out stages and you can wave goodbye to the tournament.

The earlier comment you made came across as if you thought the performance today was barely deserved of any recognition, whereas I thought it did.

True we failed to convert them, and it is something we really need to improve on, but the fact that we've started to create bucket loads of chances instead of 2 or 3 each match will at least give us the chance to score goals.

I think whenever any country gets through to the next round, supporters will look at who they'd play if the won the next game and so on and so forth. It's a natural thing to do.

We do have a long way to go, but so does everyone else involved in the tournament, imho :thup:

It was a better performance today definately, just didn't score as much goals as they could, should be interesting when they face the tougher teams.

You still should support the other nations.

Agree with the first sentence, Rooney and Defoe should have scored and Terry nearly did.

If we play like we did in the first 70 mins then we should be ok as long as we take our chances.

Why mate, i don`t care how the other nations do tbh.

That's Capello's job. Us as fans have the right to get carried away :D

Gregg you don't have a clue. If we control the game like we did this game against Germany yes we can win. Did you see Germany lose? Teams are always going to have chances.

I don't have a clue? I watched the game as an unbiased observer and am giving my opinions based on the relative tactics and abilities of both teams.

You may have controlled the game, but Slovenia were prepared to back off and use counter attacking football in the hopes that maybe they'd get a goal. Slovenia backed themselves to do a good defensive job. They did that quite well for the majority of the game.

When Slovenia did counter attack, England often looked vulnerable, a better side would have been able to have done better against your defence and if you give a top International side the chances you gave Slovenia they could quite easily punish you for it.

England could have scored more but they didn't, against a better side they may not even get those chances. In international football you have to take the chances that come to you or you risk being punished, the Germany game is a fine example of that.

Come off it. That was a dominant performance and England could have won by 2 or 3 to be honest.

England fans are obviously going to be looking at the permutations for the future rounds. Why not?

England controlled the game and while they could have had several more goals, so could the Slovenians. That's the point. If you just look at England's chances, then yes, I can see why people are thinking it was a great performance, but you also need to look at the Slovenian chances too.

Really don't understand why I'm getting this much stick over things when it's evident that Slovenia had just as many chances to equalise in this game as England had to win it?

Both sides had 13 shots on goal. England had 8 on target, Slovenia had 6. Possesion was 54%-46% in England's favour.

Gregg you don't have a clue. If we control the game like we did this game against Germany yes we can win. Did you see Germany lose? Teams are always going to have chances.

The difference being England will not see anything like the amount of the ball they did against Slovenia in a match against Germany. For all their flaws they're a far better side than the Slovenians who were completely awful today. England were undoubtedly better than in their previous two matches, but they'll have to improve yet again to compete in the knock-out stages as they'll come up against teams who will be able to keep the ball once they get it, won't give it back as easily and quickly as the Slovenians did, and will also have a lot more about them going forwards.

You keep talking about what top international sides will do but we've seen Spain, Germany, France lose to these so called weaker teams.
But but..its only england that are crap you know!!

France were always a disaster waiting to happen, especially considering they announced that Dommenech would be replaced after the tournament.

As for Spain & Germany? In the games they both lost, they were comfortably the better side and were unlucky to come away from the games with nothing. England have not put in the same kind of performances.

If you want to sit happily in comfort saying that "well, Spain & Germany have lost so far" as evidence that they're not as strong as people suggest then you go ahead and continue to delude yourselves.

Of course England can raise their performance levels beyond that which they've shown so far and so long as they do so, they could do well in this tournament, but using todays performance as a gauge against other sides in the Knockout stages really isn't the way to go about that.

Was what i was thinking....

There was a cross from the right which their forward just missed and James saved.

The Johnson/Terry combo where Terry did a great diving header attempt to block the ball. Couple of good tackles in there.

The Upson tackle right at the end.

Those three spring to mind straight away, and I'm sure there was at least one more in the first half.

France were always a disaster waiting to happen, especially considering they announced that Dommenech would be replaced after the tournament.

As for Spain & Germany? In the games they both lost, they were comfortably the better side and were unlucky to come away from the games with nothing. England have not put in the same kind of performances.

If you want to sit happily in comfort saying that "well, Spain & Germany have lost so far" as evidence that they're not as strong as people suggest then you go ahead and continue to delude yourselves.

Of course England can raise their performance levels beyond that which they've shown so far and so long as they do so, they could do well in this tournament, but using todays performance as a gauge against other sides in the Knockout stages really isn't the way to go about that.

You are wasting your time... no point in making sense when the England hype train is back on track..

Archived