Group C- Slovenia v England, BBC1, 3pm and USA v Algeria, BBC red button

bomma

svn.pngV eng.png

After two disappointing England performances it is crunch time for Fabio Capello and his squad with this game deciding if they are to stay on at the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ or rather return home on Thursday with their tails between their legs. Slovenia are in a far healthier position and know that a draw will be enough to carry them into the knockout rounds for the first time at a major tournament.

The match

Slovenia-England, Group C, Port Elizabeth, 16.00 (local time)

Slovenia were not expected to create major waves at this tournament but so assuredly have they gone about their business that they find themselves in a position to create history for their country. England, on the other hand, are trying to avoid history because you have to go all the way back to 1958 for the last time they failed to advance from the initial group phase of a FIFA World Cup in which they were participating.

In only their second FIFA World Cup, Slovenia gained new admirers with a competent dismissal of Algeria in their first game. They then put themselves in with a great chance of taking maximum points from two games when they led USA 2-0 only to be rocked by the force of the Americans' recovery which earned them a point.

England first delighted their supporters by taking an early lead in Rustenburg against USA but then saw two points slip through goalkeeper Robert Green's fingers as he failed to hold onto Clint Dempsey's speculative shot from outside the area. It seemed a given that they would then make amends against Algeria but they produced an even more lacklustre performance with the African side having the better of a 0-0 draw. England need to win to progress. If they draw they can progress if USA-Algeria also ends in a draw in which case goals scored will be the deciding factor.

Players to watch

Milivoje Novakovic v John Terry

Slovenia's leading scorer in qualifying, Milivoje Novakovic is without a goal to his name so far at South Africa 2010 and, with only a single shot in two games, he will be anxious to get off the mark at the third time of asking. Novakovic will do battle with John Terry who finds himself with a third different central defensive partner at this tournament following injury to Ledley King and the suspension of Jamie Carragher.

That is one problem Terry has to deal with. The other is the controversy that has submerged him since the draw with Algeria and his subsequent comments that he intented to initiate a team discussion with Capello about where England were going wrong. In the end it was Capello who reasserted his authority over his former captain, leaving a contrite Terry to apologise to him and the squad.

The stat

1 - the number of times England have been defeated in their third and final match in the initial group phase. They lost 1-0 to Spain in 1950.

What they said

“The players need to help each other out, and be self-confident, brave and determined. If they do that, then I’m sure we’ll see another big, big show – a show that will make Slovenia and its players into household names around the world," Matjaz Kek, Slovenia coach

"I don't understand why during a game we don't change the rhythm or the speed. We are really slow. At this World Cup if you don't run or press or fight it is difficult to go forward," Fabio Capello, England coach

Voice of the fans

"The problem with all Slavic nations, they tend to come to the edge of something big only to fail at the last moment and then they lament the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. This Slovenian team, however, is different." FIFA.com user Jahbulon (Slovenia)

"I like Slovenia, and they are very good for a country of their size. But your team and fans are getting way too ahead of themselves. Just because England have played bad previously doesn't mean we will tommorow. You can't predict what will happen. When England fan's say we will win its seen as "arrogance" but when Slovenia fans say they will win it's seen as "confidence". That really annoys me. I think England will have a big point to prove and will win 2-0. Good luck to Slovenia though." FIFA.comuser nufc4life (England)

The question

It's the million-dollar question for England supporters: can they put all that has transpired over the last few days behind them and bring their performance levels back to what is expected of them? Or are they stuck in a trough of poor form?

A must win. Simple as. And I think we will.

If this game ends 2-2 and the USA game finishes 0-0, a drawing of lots will be required.

Anyone want to have a go at the teams? Upson definitely starts.

Algeria game on the red button fwiw.

usa.pngV alg.png

The crucial Group C game between USA and Algeria will have the majority of football fans in North Africa and the Middle East glued to their television screens, in the hope that Les Fennecs, the sole Arab nation represented at the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™, can upset the odds and qualify for the Round of 16.

Arab supporters will certainly wish to avoid the same disappointment they experienced at the FIFA Confederations Cup last year, when African champions Egypt were knocked out by the Americans in the last game of the group stage. Following that victory, USA surprised many by going on to reach the final of the event, where they lost 3-2 to Brazil.

The match

USA- Algeria, Group C, Tshwane/Pretoria, Wednesday 23 June, 16.00 (local time)

Algeria go into their third and final group match buoyed by the unexpected point taken against England, a result which kept the north Africans in the hunt following their opening defeat by Slovenia. Coach Rabah Saadane’s principal concern remains his side’s fragile finishing ability. The only team in the group to have not yet found the net, statistical analysis of Algeria’s first two matches reveals a sum total of three shots on target, clearly inadequate at this level.

USA, on the other hand, have the capacity to come forward in numbers, with the dangerous Jozy Altidore ably supported from midfield by the likes of Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan. This attacking mindset has helped them to twice come from behind to snatch draws in the tournament, first against England, then versus Slovenia. They currently occupy second place in this tightest of pools, with two points to show for their efforts. Compared to their upcoming opponents, USA have managed to hit the target ten times so far.

Both teams know that they will need to throw caution to the wind to secure a first win. A victory for Bob Bradley’s men would automatically see them through to the Round of 16, while the Desert Foxes not only need to collect three points, but must also hope for an English defeat in order to qualify. In other words, it is win or bust for Algeria.

Players to watch

Jozy Altidore versus Rais M’Bolhi

Whatever happens against the Stars and Stripes, Saadane will at least be able to take satisfaction from having unearthed a capable goalkeeper at this FIFA World Cup. Rais M’Bolhi, brought in ahead of Algeria’s second match for his debut in the tournament, was impressive against England, defending his line in commanding fashion.

The young keeper is sure to be kept busy by a sprightly USA attack led by Altidore. Desperate to open his account at South Africa 2010, the American appears on the verge of rediscovering the excellent form he demonstrated at last year’s FIFA Confederations Cup, during which he scored the opening goal of his country’s surprise victory over European champions Spain.

The stat

0 - The number of goals scored by Algeria thus far in the competition.

What they said

“The Algerians have put a good team together. Their displays at the African Nations Cup were consistently strong. They haven’t come up with the same kind of results here, but they still have a chance to progress. The fact that they qualified from the African Zone at the expense of sides like Egypt shows that they are not to be taken lightly. We’ve watched videos of their games and we know a lot more about their players now. They’re very fit and possess great tactical awareness. That’s why we’re expecting a difficult match,” Michael Bradley, USA midfielder.

“It’s going to be a tricky match, in my opinion. The Americans were one of the teams fancied to qualify from this group. We simply don’t have a choice; a win is imperative. I can see it being a very tough game for both sides,” Rabah Saadane, Algeria coach.

Voice of the fans

“We’re hoping for a win, as even the top teams lose the odd game. What’s important is that we get to see some great football,” FIFA.com user Kao021 (Algeria).

The question

Will Les Fennecs be able to hit the back of the net for the first time at this FIFA World Cup against USA, and perhaps secure three points in the process? Is yet another spectacular comeback on the cards from Donovan and Co?

Live on the red button

PD W D L GD PTS

Slovenia 2 1 1 0 1 4
USA 2 0 2 0 0 2
----------------------------------------
England 2 0 2 0 0 2
Algeria 2 0 1 0 -1 1

eng.png

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The side is more or less confirmed.

James; Johnson, Terry, Upson, A.Cole; Milner, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard; Rooney, Defoe.

So, abandoning speedy wingers as you suggested. Interesting.

I thought we'd go through the other day, not sure now. I can see us leading and sitting back in that terrible way England do, then conceding a late ish equaliser.

Not anti-English as such. I would just like to see Slovenia progress as they have deserved it more than England.

To answer your question - I'm Serbian

Slovenia have done well so far but hopefully we send them packing.

Right, bet you were surprised with the win over Germany?

Remember people talking down our chances against Croatia in Zagreb. Four goals later, England were predicted to win the World Cup.

You would think that with 2 small forwards, Capello would resist the urge to play long-balls.

England needs badly to avoid Germany in the last 16.

I did think this before the start of the WC but we've been rubbish and are never going to win the WC, so feck it let's play Germany. Be a great event, what you want in a WC. Rather go out to Germany in a memorabl encounter in the 2nd round then possible beating Serbia in the 2nd round and losing to uruguay in the quarters for example.

Slovenia will choke and England will win pretty easily.

And England will wear their lucky red kit. :D

Just to point out what a news filled day it has been, that was "breaking news" on Sky Sports News.

Yeah.....

Just to point out what a news filled day it has been, that was "breaking news" on Sky Sports News.

Yeah.....

The news about the kit was breaking news? :eek::D

At least it's a nice kit:

camisa-que-sera-usada-pela-inglaterra-contra-a-eslovenia-1277213477840_300x300.jpg

Yeah.....

Really not sure how it was breaking news either. Solvenia are the "home" team. Their "home" shirt is White. It was always going to be the case that England would be wearing their red shirt.

Yeah.....

This is the news channel that had 'England team depart for South Africa' as breaking news. Nothing surprises me.

This is the news channel that had 'England team depart for South Africa' as breaking news. Nothing surprises me.

Yeah, for the first few days in the half hour leading up to the World Cup Report they do they would display "World Cup Report coming up at [time]" as breaking news, as if they'd only just found out that was what would happen.

I remember the days when breaking news on SSN meant something massive had happened. My stomach used to lurch because it reminded me of when it popped up saying how Henry has just left for Barcelona. It's on every bloody day now though :D

Archived