Group C- Slovenia v England, BBC1, 3pm and USA v Algeria, BBC red button

bomma

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
England will only manage a draw, whilst USA will beat Algeria.

I think this will then be the kick in the backside the FA need. Hopefuly a new manager will come in get rid of all the players 29 and over in squad and build a team to conquer in Brazil.

If your serious this is a very funny post. There are certainly some players we could get rid of but tbh I can't think of many who are as good as them to step up. Walcott and Adam Johnson the only two others I would have considered and tbh I think Johnson should have come.

England - Germany in the last 16 is not likely to happen because Germany needs a win no matter what against Ghana to qualify and that win will get them the 1st place in their group for sure. Germany either win the group or go out.

It will only happen if England finish second in their group, which means that England and USA both win their matches, but USA wins it with a higher margin than England.

England - Serbia and Germany - USA will probably be the next round matches.

If us and the Yanks both win 1-0 then the Yanks top the group as even though the goal difference is the same they have scored more goals by virtue of their 2-2 draw with Slovenia.

Basically, they are in the driving seat and we need to win by more than them and not the other way around

ah, thought Ghana were on 3 points as well there :thup:

Basically, we need to win by more than the Yanks, same situation after we drew with them.

The most annoying thing aside from the performance is that we knew they drew ... yay, if we beat Algeria we'd be back in control of the group and then we went out and played like that and put ourselves back in this position.

Idiots

Really drawing with Algeria dented morale more then anything. Didn't really effect the group. We'd still need to get a result against Slovenia even if we beat Algeria. Now we pretty much have to win. Hopefully that'll bring us out more, play more attacking.

I've stuck a fiver on over 2.5 goals today. Optimistic!

I've put £15 on a draw (returns of £42) and £10 on a Slovenia win (returns of £80). That way, I'm happy win lose or draw.

BBC said last night the reckon the side will be:

Milner

Barry

Gerrard

Lampard

Joe Cole

Rooney

Though you'd think Milner might play right wing and push Lampard alongside Barry. Gerrard AM.

But Sky had a standard 442.

Milner/Joe cole

Lampard

Barry

Gerrard

Defoe

Rooney

They were undecided about who plays right wing. Really not sure which one I'd prefer.

I'm appalled by the lack of people who are appalled by the lack of Ashley Young tbf. He is the best left winger in England and has been for the last two years.

Didn't Ashley Young have a poor season?

If England don't win the group, we might well end up with Uruguay, South Korea, USA and Serbia competing for one of the places in the semi finals.

We would play Uruguay / Korea in the 1/4 finals if we did win the group and beat (Serbia, Ghana, whoever).

Finishing 2nd may get us Germany in the last 16 and possibly Argentina in the 1/4 finals so ... winning the group is the best bet and we knew it was the best bet when the draw was made, when we drew with the Yanks and when the Yanks drew with Slovenia before our tepid performance against Algeria ...

BBC now saying Milner and Defoe will start. So maybe Sky's line up was the correct one.

Everyone is saying that, seems like it is.

I hope Milner's performance against the Yanks was related to some sickness and not him bottling it in some way or something

I am wearing a pair of cargo-y type shorts thing with a belt so not a total tramp but didn't want the planets to mistake my jeans as the old jeans when they are clearly are not, don't want to leave anything to chance :D

hair cut - check

different pub for the game - check

I am wearing a pair of cargo-y type shorts thing with a belt so not a total tramp but didn't want the planets to mistake my jeans as the old jeans when they are clearly are not, don't want to leave anything to chance :D

hair cut - check

different pub for the game - check

:D

5-0 England. ****ing commeeee onnnnnnnn!!!!

Tbh I don't mind Heskey. Yes it ****es me off when he misses but he's never our worst player out there. I just want a different formation but we won't get that.

Whs

No problem with Heskey but maybe a different goal scoring threat would be handy, something needed changing up front and right wing but ultimately I would have prefered the extra body in the midfield

Whs

No problem with Heskey but maybe a different goal scoring threat would be handy, something needed changing up front and right wing but ultimately I would have prefered the extra body in the midfield

I sometimes think Heskey and Defoe would work well but I would never leave out Rooney. Proper pace and power up front as I sometimes think Rooney likes to do some of what Heskey is put in the team to do and then gets a bit lost. Doesn't know whether to come deep or stay up the top. Against Algeria Heskey collecting the ball in our half and ran at defenders, this must not happen again :D

With Rooney struggling for goals and form and confidence already, I can't see the argument for playing him up front on his own and potentially leaving him even more isolated. That system has never worked for England on the handful of occasions that we've tried it.

There's definitely an argument for starting Defoe, but if Fabio really wants him in, we should play him instead of Rooney not alongside him.

With Rooney struggling for goals and form and confidence already, I can't see the argument for playing him up front on his own and potentially leaving him even more isolated. That system has never worked for England on the handful of occasions that we've tried it.

I wouldn't want that anyway tbh. I think we need two players up front but we could mix it up a bit in the midfield. The problem for us is that we play a 4-4-2 with effectively 1 winger and 3 CM's. Would like to see Gerrard behind Rooney for a game and put Cole or Milner on the left.

That's the problem, this doesn't seem as simple as 'he's playing bad cause of the formation' as he was so abject (like everyone else). I guess if Rooney isn't firing on all cyclinders still then at least Defoe is more of a goal threat. Just hope he retain the ball better in midfield (do we say this before every game?).

Anyone else remember Sven being dragged over the coals for daring to play Rooney up front on his own in Germany '06? "He needs a partner"!!!

I do like Crouch. I feel like he would stick away a chance Heskey wouldn't and I loved his majestic piece of play against Algeria where his giraffe legs bamboozled a couple of Algerian players :D

Crouch and Rooney up front starting would be nice.

Archived