The World Cup of National Anthems

crouchaldinho

Guest roberto922

Yeah that's true, I just can't see Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey, Wayne Hennessey, Craig Gordon or Danny Wilson ever getting near the squad in the future, eh? Not to mention Bellamy :cool:

I think one of the reason people dislike GSTQ, is because you actually understand the lyrics and they are pretty naff. I'm sure the Italian anthem's lyrics or French anthems are naff too but we just don't understand it so just admire the nice tune.

The melody doesn't help, but I do think the lyrics play a big part.

The lyrics to the Marseillaise are not naff at all, it's all about spilling the blood of foreigners.

And I understand the lyrics of the Star Spangled Banner and don't think that's naff.

I could probably get on board more with GSTQ if we just used the verse about crushing the Scots...

I don't know why, and I am probably on my own with this, but I love God Save the Queen. Makes me proud to be English when I hear it and get's me really pumped up about a match. I don't know why it just does :D

Star Spangled Banner is amazy when it isn't being wrecked by blinged up trailer trash tramps.

Good lord yes. I am so annoyed when the pop singer of the day drags out "and the home of the brave." However there is at least one notable exception:

Whitney Houston at the 1991 Super Bowl

Anyway, the reason I like the Star Spangled Banner, beyond patriotism, is that it paints a dramatic picture in your mind - as it describes an actual event in place and time. The imagery is what makes it work. Another anthem that works kind of like this is La Marseillaise. The second verse, which is almost never sung, is downright poetic:

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,

Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,

What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,

As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,

In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:

'Tis the star-spangled banner, O! long may it wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Also, if you read the lyrics to both - full versions - they're both extremely bloody.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner#Lyrics

French anthem is ace the gits.

South American ones are generally pretty sweeping and dramatic, Brazil's is good. Was listening to one the other day and seemed like it was going a good minute and half before the lyrics kicked in, think it was Chile.

Good effort :D

Archived