FM2010 blog no.4 - match engine videos!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks good, only 2 thing that i would say need the most improvement is the amount of crowd noise is too much for the amount of people in the stands on some of the highlights (in my opinion), dont often play with sound anyway so for me not a big problem and i think keepers still need more animations to make them realistic. but on the positive side i like the new camera angles very much and overall the improvement could be enough to convert me from 2d

I think the videos look great. Love the stadiums and crowds.

Just a small question/suggestion: shouldn't camera flashes increase right after a goal is scored? I'd assume that is the moment when people probably take more photos.

Oh and not totally sure about this, but maybe consider decreasing the intensity of the camera flashes?

Looks really good, certainly flows well and I do like the fact you've added a touchline view!!!!!!

2 Questions:

1) Does the stand view change depending on the level you are at? I.e. sitting in the stands at Old Trafford will give you a very different view from if you are in the stands at say Stevenage Borough - probably MUCHO difficult but just wondered if you'd cracked it

2) Will there be any changes to match graphics such as they still have THE biggest benches in the world; different types ie set back, double row not single etc would be pretty cool especially on the smaller grounds!

i have never seen a one two. is there not one-twos in the game? arsenal especially play a lot of one twos in real life so i dont think the game can realisticly simulate top level football. in fact all the top teams do it regurlarly.

i think fm still needs to reflect that short passing football can still be quick/fluid and attractive.

doesn't anyone else agree?

First off, I'd like to say a big well done to all of SI for this improved match engine - it looks great :D. A few things I noticed on first viewing though:

1. On the first video, watch from 0:33. Is it just me, or does the commentary bar flash GOAL a bit late (as it did in FM09 initially)?

2. On the second video, watch from 0:43. That flash, as the guy passes the ball back to the keeper - that is a camera, i suppose. If it is, that particular flash from that angle in front of you MUST be binned. That is too much. I agree they should be there, but the magnitude of them at the moment is to excessive, imo.

3. Is sideline a new camera angle? I don't think I've seen it before?

4. The weather conditions (particularly in the 2nd video, where the weather gradually changes) are fantastic, well done for that.

5. It is much smoother and cleaner on the whole, and the players no longer seem to act like idiots, who actually had no idea how to run (or that could just be you selecting the most favourable clips ;))

Overall, I'm really impressed, just a few things that caught my eye there.

It's funny how people agree and disagree on certain things.

I liked the camera flashes add a touch of realism but would they be noticable when played in good weather as they are more visable at night or poor light conditions. Maybe too many for such a small crowd. As was mentioned needs more when a goal is scored

As has been mentioned they were a bit noisy for the size of crowd. There was also a slight mute in the crowd before one of the goals instead of a gradual build up of noise as the ball gets nearer to the goal.

Any chance of localised national crowd sounds like in Pro Evo when you make a side for the Master League? Eg South American chanting, African, Italian, Spanish, Drums, Clapping, Horns etc?

Are the crowd in a 2D or 3D models I couldn't quite make out?

The match played well especially looked good in the further out camera angles as you could see the flow of play from one side to the other and back again.

My only problem with the second video showing off the camera angles why not pick a better match with a few goals in it? :D

Any chance of localised national crowd sounds like in Pro Evo when you make a side for the Master League? Eg South American chanting, African, Italian, Spanish, Drums, Clapping, Horns etc?

A must for me, one of the my main annoyances with the game. They'll never bother to address the sound though. It was probably better in 01/02 almost a decade ago.

I also think the cameras flash too frequently.

Agreed that the flashes would be annoying, there should be next to no flashes during the day and only some at night when a FK or pen is taken. There shouldnt be any flashes really because the idiots using the cameras dont realise the flashes have zero effect on the picture.

At big European games there are hundreds of flashes that go off.

Flashes should be limited to virtually none for small meaningless games but upped the bigger and more important the match.

At big European games there are hundreds of flashes that go off.

Flashes should be limited to virtually none for small meaningless games but upped the bigger and more important the match.

Yep correct but mite just be worth adding a tick box to turn flashes on and off :thup:

These videos look really good. I love the fact that the ball actually travel at real speed, instead of the 1\2 speed of 09. Also the animations are looking alot better. A little work is needed on goalkeeper collecting, though. Hope it will be improved at the release-date.

Otherwise :thup:

I like the different view options and it certainly looks a lot more fluid than the last version I played. Nothing to really get excited about yet though.

Count me as against the camera flashes - hopefully I'll stop noticing them.

the 3d view looks nice, but I think there are too many flashes too.. there should be an option to make people who use the flash too much pay a fee, so you can raise funds for your club..

and I hope there will be more weather effects.. snow, fog, gale (the wind noise sound effect would be nice, too)

and as someone said, the crowd noise should be proportional to the people actually in the stands.

I don't mean to come off like an asshole but there's still a lot of 'stupid' actions being performed by players.

I.e. First video 30 seconds in, the player gets the ball stands there for a couple of seconds then turns into an opposition player, when he could've passed it behind/sideways or simply run with it soon as he got it.

I like the camera flashes but agree with the gripes about the intensity and frequency of them. I would have suggested that maybe it was a big match in Brazil, i.e. cup final, but this didn't come across with how sparse the crowd was. Overall it looks really smooth and I'm really impressed with it.

I also noticed the new touchline camera angle, the much, much better weather conditions. And also the yellow card and the commentary 'the referee indicates it was for persistant fouling'. Glad things like that are still being added to the game.

I like the camera flashes but agree with the gripes about the intensity and frequency of them. I would have suggested that maybe it was a big match in Brazil, i.e. cup final, but this didn't come across with how sparse the crowd was. Overall it looks really smooth and I'm really impressed with it.

I also noticed the new touchline camera angle, the much, much better weather conditions. And also the yellow card and the commentary 'the referee indicates it was for persistant fouling'. Glad things like that are still being added to the game.

yea there would def need a warning. its dangerous. yea i agree si please only put it in world cup finals etc.

it will add the unique excitement that should be there in one off games.

hope it doesnt happen in my league 2 barnet games :-p

Not very impressive to tell you the truth.

One good thing is the smoothness of the footage, but don't forget that this is just a video of a match with no other matches running behind it.

It seems that, for one more year, we are going to suffer from matches that do not show any individual skill. Just running and changing directions. I was hoping for some tricks of technically gifted players to distinguish themselves. I hate to see players behaving the same with no sign of their skill appearing on the pitch.

Weather conditions are a nice touch indeed.

Not quite sure about the Camera flashes.

Will there be an option to turn them off?

Hope there is an option to turn them off. If not I can see people with photo sensitive epilepsy having problems with the 3D view.

Archived