Things you do on FM which you don’t think anyone else does?!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/11/2018 at 10:38, Mardy said:

I might do the same mate, I kind of like imagining how a player looks like. I remember signing Balotelli when he was about 17 and he was banging free kicks in. Imagined him looking like Pirlo because of his set piece ability and nationality.  Almost a strange, nice surprise when you actually see a player in real life.

I'm the opposite - hyper realism, I switch off regens and add faces from the SortItOutSi faces mega-pack requests thread so long as they look vaguely like what I think they should look like!

Choose the largest pitch dimensions, focus on squad rotation/conditioning and sign players high in Natural Fitness, Stamina, Pace and Acceleration to try create a home ground advantage.

Problem is that I start with a non-league side (Level 8 or 9 usually), so any cup runs against top level opposition usually end very badly.

Haha good one

2 hours ago, Stouters said:

I remove all bonuses from player contracts when negotiating. It's very rare that a player will have any kind of incentive other than his wage. I even managed it when I was managing Barcelona including Messi on FM18.

I do the opposite; high bonuses and low salaries. Cruijff did this in real life as well. Gives me the illusion players will try harder to score in order to get the bonus lol. 

• 3 weeks later...

In 19 it has become apparent the first season is kinda just there. I keep on my staff and completely skip the first window unless I get mad offers. Essentially I roleplay the new manager who comes in to a team that is already set for the season (and with the transfers already programmed in, they kinda are!) 

In the winter I do minor corrections and pester the board a bit. In the second year it is time for some bigger changes and getting the team centered around my philosophy! 

One side effect: I can't transform all teams into rigid structures and set formations, I always have a season to get the most out of what is there. I woul have never tried some formations or roles if I didn't rely on the players! 

7 hours ago, jamessmith010101 said:

i add myself as manager of affiliates and make sure my young loanees play regulaly 

I do it with my German B-Teams as well. Can't stand not having control of my young player's development inside my club!

For me: Obsessive compulsive saving. I am always unsure whether it went through or whether I even clicked the darn button. So I do it again. And again. And again abd again and again. Then I randomly click around some screens and the whole process repeats. 

On 15/11/2018 at 01:25, Piperita said:

I'm also giving players their chances if they deserve it, whatever the attributes say. I'm also too much of a softie to get confrontational; my squad probably thinks I'm a big pushover cause unless something unaccepting is set I accept most contract demands or concerns at the slightest pushback. 

I'm the same, but I love how people react this way. I mean, we're pressing buttons on an electrical device "talking" to "people" who don't exist, yet we don't want to be harsh if they don't deserve it or give them a chance if they've been really nice. One of the things i love about FM.

I am Super cautious when it comes to pressing Continue. For example when i start a save, i do not press continue until i have everything sorted to my preferences. Schedule, Training, Staff, Responsibilities, Scouting staff shortlists. If i don't disable first transfer window all offers made on first day. If creating a new Tactic i probably wont go to the next day for HOURS.

1. Because its so easy to forget things.
2. A new manager IRL will have more time if brought in at start of a season, to adjust things and would already know who he wants to bring in before even coming on board. Every day you just skip passed is restricting your time.

Slightly ashamed to say it but I am an extremely racist manager. Whatever country I'm managing in I always try to put together a squad of players from as close to home as possible and even find myself rejecting players who seem like their families aren't from the home country. I doubt I'd sign Jorginho if I was in Italy for example. If I'm in Argentina I want 11 Italian and Spanish sounding guys with black hair, and I find myself avoiding India because it's impossible to win with a team of Indians. Or is it? Potential challenge there. Quite into the idea of having a team in Europe with nobody from outside the former USSR too. Whatever country I'm managing in I just hate outsiders!

Following on the 'shame' feeling from above, I'm incredibly ageist when playing - anyone hitting 29 is immediately put out to pasture on the xfer list. I hate myself for doing it but I can't stand the idea of not getting a return on a player. It was especially bad a few years back when I was treating legends such as Scholes & Giggs as pieces of (old and wrinkly) meat!

To compound the issue, I also sign way WAY too many young players with potential, regardless of position & often to the detriment of my own side, playing the kids who probably aren't good enough! You can get away with it at a top team but it can be suicidal in the lower leagues if poor coaches and facilities mean that they improve too slowly!

On 18/11/2018 at 19:53, DazRTaylor said:

I always give my number one goalkeeper the number 1, his backup the number 13 and the third choice number 23.

I try to keep to the numbers 1, 13, 22, 23, 25, 29 and then after 30 it can pretty much be anything.
Unless you're Bernd Leno, keepers usually get these numbers.

Mine are mainly with player numbers.

Main keeper gets number 1, young keeper (generally 3rd choice) gets 13 and second choice keeper get 40.

I have a strange affiliation to the numbers 14 and 17. Reserve right winger always get 17 and third choice striker always 14.

Second choice left back always gets 33 and second choice right back 12. 

Starting in the lower leagues, I load in the MLS and move wages and transfer budget so I have ca 40k in the scouting budget. I then change youth scouting package  to global and search for players 18 and under with partial EU nationality. I can usually fill up my youth team with excellent prospects and maybe one or two players good enough for the 1st team. Just don't forget to change the scouting package back and readjust the budgets before continuing the game. 

1 hour ago, Gangor said:

Starting in the lower leagues, I load in the MLS and move wages and transfer budget so I have ca 40k in the scouting budget. I then change youth scouting package  to global and search for players 18 and under with partial EU nationality. I can usually fill up my youth team with excellent prospects and maybe one or two players good enough for the 1st team. Just don't forget to change the scouting package back and readjust the budgets before continuing the game. 

what relevance is loading the MLS? is this so you get more nortth/south american regens?

8 hours ago, Captain_al said:

what relevance is loading the MLS? is this so you get more nortth/south american regens?

There are a LOT of regens in North America, many of whom have EU nationality.

Edit: also they are mostly available on free transfers (although for the younger ones you have to wait for their 18th birthday)

On 04/01/2019 at 06:37, optimusprimal82 said:

Following on the 'shame' feeling from above, I'm incredibly ageist when playing - anyone hitting 29 is immediately put out to pasture on the xfer list. I hate myself for doing it but I can't stand the idea of not getting a return on a player. It was especially bad a few years back when I was treating legends such as Scholes & Giggs as pieces of (old and wrinkly) meat!

To compound the issue, I also sign way WAY too many young players with potential, regardless of position & often to the detriment of my own side, playing the kids who probably aren't good enough! You can get away with it at a top team but it can be suicidal in the lower leagues if poor coaches and facilities mean that they improve too slowly!

I'm like this too (although I am starting to grow out of it because stats don't drop off so quickly) but it stems from the original CM where you could only have a set number of players and anyone on the transfer list as they turned 30 would retire and free up a space (back when they all had the same birthday when the game moved on a year!)

Far from the only one to do it, but I obsess a lot about squad numbers. 

- First XI is always numbered 1-11. It seriously annoys me when I can't have that, like when transfers happen late. 

- 1-11 are always assigned to the same positions. Which is easy in a 4-4-2 for instance (I'm in the #4 as DC and #6 as DMC/MC camp), but it gets unsatisfying in many formations. Like in the 4-1-2-2-1 (2 CM, wingers, striker) formation I don't really like the idea of #10 being a CM. Like it's OK if it's a very attacking role so he plays like an AMC, but I'm not happy about it. But that's small potatoes compared to the various 3-5-2 type of formations. Numbering your defenders #2-4 is OK, but that means #5 (or #4) as a midfielder. Having them as #4-6 is preferable, but only works if you use wing backs; can't have a wide midfielder be #2 or #3. And even then you're forced to have #11 as a striker, #10 and #7 as MCs. And #7 as MC only works if he's on the right in a formation without wingers. When thinking about formations to use, this isn't the only factor, but it seriously plays into it. If I have two options I like about the same, I'll go with the formation that allows for the best numbering. Which is why I play a lot of 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-1-1 type of formations. 

- GKs are #1, #13 and #31. I try to avoid using a 4th GK because there's no number I like. When I have to, it's usually #41. I believe in older CMs with the 3-man benches the GK would automatically be #13, and so it has stuck with me. GK will always be in the second sub slot as well. Subs are ordered from most attacking (#1) to most defensive with the exception of that. If I play in Italy where they have 12 subs in the league, but 7 in Europe, it'll be the same down to #7, but then go backwards with #8 being a DC and #12 a striker. 

- DR is #2 and #22. DL #3 and #33. #23 and #32 are for guys who can play both positions. A player who is a D/ML is the perfect #33 (3x11=33). 

- DCs are #4,5, 14, 15, 24 and so on. My best or favourite of the pair will have #5, #15 and so on. 

- (A)MR are #7, 17, 27. (A)ML are #11 and then it gets tricky. If they can play multiple positions they can get away with some other numbers, but #11 is the only one that feels right for a full-time AML. #21 is alright.

- MC are #6, 8, 16, 18, 26 and so on. 6 is the more defensive-minded. Same goes for DMC. A BWM/DLP combo doesn't feel right for me with either distribution. 

- AMC/ST are #9, 10, 19, 20, 29, 39. Rarely ever use #30, as I'll rarely have a dedicated AMC/ST only player for that role. A lone striker will always be #9, but if it's a support role it needs to be a F9, as otherwise the number just feels wrong. 

- Numbers like #17, #27, #28 can be used for multi-position attacking players too. A particularly promising youngster will usually be #27 and then #17. 

- #12 is retired for many clubs, but if not I'll rarely assign it. When I do it's usually a AML/ST (Or more positions) type of guy for whom #20 or #21 doesn't feel right. 

- #21 and #13 are the only ones I'm sort of flexible about. #21 can be a DLP type of player, even if he's a clear starter, in honor of Andrea Pirlo. It's one way to get around the BWM/DLP conundrum, and to avoid things like #10 in CM. I'll also sometimes let a young GK who has been #13 and gradually taken over the starting role over several years (Or if the current #1 is a true legend) keep #13 even after breaking into the first team, at least if the old #1 is still around. 

Basically, I spend waaaay too much time and energy on this. And I don't have OCD-tendencies in any other areas so it's a bit weird. 

Nearly always sub a player who has been booked.

If I'm having a bad run I change the camera view to try and change my fortunes.

Number my goalies 1, 13, 23 etc where possible.

Also I don't like having asymmetrical line ups.  FB, WB, Wide midfielders and wingers always have the same role left and right.  Just looks wrong otherwise!

Sure there's more when I can remember them...

Haha, I love this thread! Here's some of mine (some have already been said before):

- When offering a contract to any  young player (below 24ish) who doesn't demand extortionate wages, I always maximise the years on the contract, as well as adding the optional extension by club option for the maximum years (normally 3), making both non-negotiable.

- When I find a young player I want to sign, but don't know how much to offer, I just go to his transfer offer screen, add "percentage of profit from next sale", then remove and exclude it from negotiation, before hitting "suggest terms", to find out if he's a player worth negotiating for.

- Never a goalkeeper on my bench.

- Three substitutions to my most tired players on 60 mins.

- I do my absolute best to have left footed players as my left centre back, but can sometimes have right-footed players there if needed. However, I almost never play left-footed players as my right centre back.

- I refuse to loan out young players until they get homegrown at the club status.

- For the above reason, I only sign young players with a maximum age of 18. If he's 19 or above, he has to at least be good enough for my second string team.

- My bench order always starts with my striker and all the way down to defender. For a 7-man bench, my order is generally: striker, winger, winger, centre mid, centre mid, full back, full back.

38 minutes ago, TheGreat10ne1 said:

Haha, I love this thread! Here's some of mine (some have already been said before):

- When offering a contract to any  young player (below 24ish) who doesn't demand extortionate wages, I always maximise the years on the contract, as well as adding the optional extension by club option for the maximum years (normally 3), making both non-negotiable.

- When I find a young player I want to sign, but don't know how much to offer, I just go to his transfer offer screen, add "percentage of profit from next sale", then remove and exclude it from negotiation, before hitting "suggest terms", to find out if he's a player worth negotiating for.

- Three substitutions to my most tired players on 60 mins.

- I do my absolute best to have left footed players as my left centre back, but can sometimes have right-footed players there if needed. However, I almost never play left-footed players as my right centre back.

- I refuse to loan out young players until they get homegrown at the club status.

- For the above reason, I only sign young players with a maximum age of 18. If he's 19 or above, he has to at least be good enough for my second string team.

I do all of these! The percentage of profit one has saved me so much in-game money since I started doing it on FM17.

9 hours ago, TheGreat10ne1 said:

My bench order always starts with my striker and all the way down to defender. For a 7-man bench, my order is generally: striker, winger, winger, centre mid, centre mid, full back, full back.

No, no, and thrice no. Got to be defenders>>>>strikers on the bench. 

• 3 weeks later...

I always build a squad with two equally strong players for each position, so in theory I don't have a first team.
If possible, starting with the very first season.

In the first match of the season I select the best possible eleven.
But from then on I rotate the entire squad, with only two exceptions:

1) GK stays in place after a clean sheet

2) field players stay in place if they score
-- and since the goal scorer(s) will always play the next match, I substitute them when the clock reaches the 65th minute (+/- 5'), even when they are one goal away from a hat trick and even if other players are very very tired :) 
-- if more than 3 players score, I take off the ones with the lowest condition
-- if a players scores coming off the bench I will try to play him in another position (of course, the position of a player that did not score in the last match), if possible; if not possible, he will remain on the bench

And I never never start a player if his physical condition is less than 90%.

I do break my own rules, sometimes, but only in finals.

Archived