Group G: England v Panama (1300BST)

Rob1981

Just now, Pukey said:

Nigeria was an exercise in game management in a friendly.

Tunisia I can agree with to an extent.

No idea why you'd be even slightly concerned about this second half which has basically been a 45 minute light jog with the odd kick of a ball.

Yeah it's been so relaxed that Kane managed to get a goal without even trying.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rodriguez kid does look half decent tbf. Plays for Gent's reserve team at the moment. Plus he's the only player under the age of 20 in the side (the other youngsters, both 21, play for the reserve teams of Gent and Deportivo La Coruna respectively) so he has room to improve unlike the rest of the Panama team.

3 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Nigeria was an exercise in game management in a friendly.

Tunisia I can agree with to an extent.

No idea why you'd be even slightly concerned about this second half which has basically been a 45 minute light jog with the odd kick of a ball.

Well, I'm clearly talking about recent performances and not just this one. Lost concentration late on against Italy too.

Just seems like we need to make our early advantage count because we're not that good once teams settle down and figure us out.

Well done England, into next round which is most important. Only Panama but still need to go out and perform and England have hardly been great in tournaments lately! Panama did qualify on merit.

Going forward was great, defensively look vulnerable.

Can't really argue against the result. 6-1, new record for England at a major tournament, game was finished before half time so we could relax and not worry about unnecessary bookings/injuries. Hopefully that just means the defenders switched off a bit for it and they'll be ready for Belgium in the final game.

2 minutes ago, Nordan said:

Not sure if England wants to win the group or not after that 2nd half.

England 0 Belgium 0 90th minute. Fellaini to come on, elbow someone in the face and give Belgium the better half of the draw. :D

3 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

England are top now right? Will be interesting to see their approach on Thursday

that game is going to be odd, both teams will probably rest loads of players and wont really want to win :D

The Panama-Tunisia game will be a fun watch. Not for quality football but because it should just be a garbage fire. Jose Luis Rodriguez looks like the only Panama player  that could potentially play in a top European League, so will keep an eye on him. If Tunisia can get any more players fit again then they should win but with their current injury record it's up in the air.

1 hour ago, TM said:

seriously how did the USA not qualify for the World Cup ahead of this :lol:

It starts with the US being dire, but the qualification is a prison brawl. Lots of teams playing like Panama, bad referees that enable it, and brutal conditions (elevation, gravel pit pitches, heat). None of those things excuses missing the Cup, of course.   

Meanwhile, well played England. That was highly satisfying. :applause:

I wonder if there will be any suspicions of doping as England winning two games in a row + winning one of them by 6-1 is not normal. :D 

Anyway, great win for England, Kane  is now top scorer with 5 goals, which is amazing as well.

1 minute ago, daylight said:

Well that's you guys ****ed! Everyone in the BBC studio saying there is nothing to worry about regardless who England face in the first knock out round.

Knock out round? England with one hand on the Cup already. 

6 minutes ago, Constantine said:

36045098_10157814734636840_2689998357480

Big difference between Brazil and Panama though.

If we lost 80-6 in the rugby world cup, we would still celebrate too.

Kane has me all confused :d

Think he's been one our worst players in both games, yet here he is with 5 goals and a match ball. 

Trippier is bloody amazing though. His delivery and decision making is as good as anything we've seen in the cup. Young on the otherside not so much. 

Henderson's impressed too. 

Defence is dodgy as **** though. 

21 minutes ago, Redshift said:

Southgate admitting he's considering resting players depending on the situation. :thup:

It's just ridiculous. Both teams are embarrassing with that mindset.

England are top and so have to lose. Just go for the win

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

Sides rest players for dead rubber games before the knockout stages when they're not likely to be advantaged by losing. Why would you risk your stars?

7 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

"We want to keep momentum, we will have to think exactly about the team we want to put out against Belgium because there is an opportunity for players that need a match, but we also want to keep winning football matches. It is a nice decision to have."

So basically he wants to make changes but wants to keep winning. Fine by me.

No-one will want to lose but if neither team needs to bust a gut to get a favourable draw then it's no surprise that both teams will rest players if needed. Harry Kane might insist on playing though. :)

I think we should go all out against Belgium. If we win it shows people that we are up there and it keeps the momentum going. If we lose we could possibly have a bye to the final.

(Saying that I've been out since 10.30 so I could have my judgement clouded)

Harry Kane to be the only player on the pitch to care, chasing the Golden Boot, score the only goal, and then England to lose to Brazil on the quarters whilst Belgium go on to the final.

1 hour ago, butts said:

What did Young do wrong today?

Young has done nothing wrong. He also has done nothing right. He has done nothing, for two games. Nothing. Compare that to Trippier on the other side, arguably motm for both games and leads the chances created charts for the WC. We need a left footed player on the left, not Young cutting back on his right. He offers absolutely nothing. He's just there.

Archived