Outside of England what team have you enjoyed managing

Hi everyone just let me know what fun you have had with other teams in other countries. I myself started a journey man career with Genk had a great time there and then went to lille and vasco da gama before getting a job at barca still there and i am thinking about a move to germany or italy next really trying to win the league in every country. Please share thanks :thup:

C.F. Merida in the Mexican Promotion League or Clermont Foot 62 in Ligue 2 in France. Both made for interesting squad building for the neophyte manager.

how did you find the mexican league and cf merida was it a tough team to manage and how much success did you have with them?

So far in my career game I have managed Linfield, Sydney FC, Vancouver, Celtic, Red Bull Salzburg and Borussia Dortmund outside of England, all have been fun Vancouver was short but very sweet, the two in bold are my favourites though with Dortmund being my current club.

Edit - In previous FM's, Auckland City and Bergisch Gladbach.

I also never play in England. Still on FM14 (mainly because in 15 the Argentine league is messed up) and had a great save building up Real Sociedad from down in the Adelante. Also had a fun run with Danubio in Uruguay, who have a brilliant academy, and in Argentina managed success with Atlanta and now Racing. I've got a few Central American leagues loaded, what I'd like to do next is move to a giant in Costa Rica, Honduras or Guatemala. It takes all sorts...

I always play a career game with around thirty nations loaded so always end up abroad.

The nations I especially like managing in are:

Holland - no player restrictions in the top flight. Mental playoff system in the second tier is always a laugh too.

Germany - No player restrictions. Good youth systems by a lot of clubs too.

Norway - No idea why, just always loved the league!

Iceland - 22 league game campaign means a quick season.

In terms of clubs, then Sparta in Holland is always fun, numerous third tier sides in Norway are always good to try and there are far too many German clubs to name!

Other than at the start, the club itself doesn't really matter, but the state the club and the others around it are in. Otherwise the only clubs that differentiate from each other are the ones with gimmicks, like Athletic Bilbao

how did you find the mexican league and cf merida was it a tough team to manage and how much success did you have with them?

With C.F. Merida I found the League Set up a bit weird after playing in England mainly. League Schedule Split in half with reseeding after first half. I always fell a few wins short of Promotion to the First Division.

But the League forced me to work on my tactics......and the Tactics that worked there seem to work everywhere since. (I was an attacking manager BEFORE playing there. Learned to dial back the mentality)

The team building wasn't too bad......the budget was about 3-3.5 million a year and the Transfer budget about 500k. Which was great after playing in Vanarama Conference and National in France.

Argentina with Velez Sarsfield, before they went nuts with a ludicruous league structure anyway. Velez always have gems in their squad, Facundo Ferreyra was brilliant for me in FM13 and FM14, Lucas Romero is a must-have signing since FM13 for me. Their youth system kept replenishing anyone who I was forced to sell as well, it was unbelievable, every youth intake had quality players.

Vitesse in the Dutch League - Trying to topple Ajax and PSV at the top, good to have Chelsea as an affiliate club

Leixoes in Portuguese Second Division - Went to them after a spell in the Portuguese National Championship which is a weird league structure, not very rich but Promotion should be straight forward then its about building a squad capable of challenging Porto, Benfica, Braga and Sporting

I had a good save with Vasco in Brazil, they were a huge team for division 2, but you have half a season of the state league first where they aren't the biggest team, then half the season of the national division two where they are. If you can cope with the 70 game seasons, it's a great country to try in FM.

Also had an easy save going with Ajax, absolutely no player restrictions, signing or playing, so can really go mad with signings. A bit too easy for a lasting save but a good fun league and a 34 game league season so it's quicker than some.

Germany is always a good league to be in, really competitive and balanced and you can always find a team that suits your needs (big, small, fallen giant, rich, youth etc).

FM14 I had a good save in Argentina but not really done that with 15, I will wait for their league to sort the rules out first!

Just about to try MLS for the first time ever, I have no idea how that will go.

I've been playing CM/FM from the early days usually with no success at all. But years ago I took over Bari in Serie B when they were expected to struggle. But somehow I put a team together that stormed to an unexpected promotion and finished as runners up in the Italian Cup. Then in Serie A I managed to keep them safely in mid table for a few years, usually getting good results against the top clubs. Shortly after that I landed the Milan job, but I just couldn't get them to challenge for the title........and then my computer crashed and I lost everything.... But it's probably the game I remember most!

In FM 14 my career was: Berwick Rangers - Scotland League 2, FC Groningen - Netherlands Jupiler League and Olympiacos - Greek Superleague.

In FM 15 so far: CS Balotesti - Romanian Second League, FC Girondins de Bordeaux - French Ligue 1 and again... Olympiacos - Greek Superleague.

I thoroughly enjoyed all countries and teams :)

*It seems that since Olympiacos is my favorite club, eventually I get offered the job if do well enough. And it seems that I do :p

Me and my mate did a Bundesliga netowkr game. He was Bayern and I was Dortmund.

It was fun actually trying to close the gap to him. It took me about 5 seasons to actually close the gap so much that I won the league though.

It was a good laugh and I think the fact I had an objective made it more enjoyable.

I have had excellent long-term games with Las Palmas, Oviedo and Benfica on my own. With friends we have had excellent games with Barcelona/Real Madrid, and many many different sides in Italy. For some reason we usually end up playing long-term games in Italy. I think this is because in previous versions success eventually generated a lot of money for any club there (and in England), while the Bundesliga and La Liga have both had some sort of "glass roof" when it comes to money and reputation. It just took too long to become a rich club outside of England and Italy.

Have anyone played in Spain with a small club long enough to rival the money and reputation of Real and Barca? It took me 10 years with Oviedo in FM14, and even then I could still not attract every worldwide superstar from the other big clubs.

Zulte Waregem in Belgium. Love the league structure and it's so easy to pick up South American players for free and sell them on for big money. One free transfer was sold a year later for £33m which helped build a new stadium.

Apart from Lincoln, who took up a large chunk of my FM14/15 life, there's a few other sides I've found an affinity with through FM. Penarol in particular, who I've had many spells with over the versions, and Calcio Como, who I spent 10 eventful years of yo-yoing around the Italian Leagues. For more details, just look at the pictures...

wvelfp.jpg

All looks very festive and friendly in Montevideo...it isn't.

stadio_giuseppe_sinigaglia01.jpg

Is there any better view in World Football than the one Calcio Como enjoy? I've been to the stadium - on its own it's an absolute hole, but dem views...

BK Forward was my first FM14 save, from the bottoms of the swedish seas, to winning the premier devision and reaching europa league finals in less than 6 seasons. It was an amazing save, especially watching a couple talented regrens grow up while going up the swedish ladder. Got lucky with a -9pa regen while still on 2nd tier division.

Curiously, my other best save, and i had many, was also in Sweden. Gave it a go with Hammarby after they being bought by an Irish sugar daddy. Of course the reputation was pretty low so I didn't buy really top european talent. But made a few key buys like Swedish national team keyplayers that were playing abroad. Also upgraded the youth setups and made a decent campaign in the champions league.

With FM15 i lost a bit of the desire to play. Due to a few quirks like injuries and other annoyances. So i haven't played more than a few months on a couple saves. Really disappointed :( Might give it another go in Sweden, once a sugar dady save pops up there...

I have no attachments to sweden nor other related countries, but somehow, building and tinkering with tactical styles and establishing new ways in a secundary football country is very attractive for me.

I recommend it if you like to make experiments and a fun challenge. Bear in mind the Swedish league is actually pretty difficult. I remember at some point being just below the top tier and pretty much demolishing teams like Shaktar at ease with Hammarby club but still having a tough time in the domestic league.

They mostly play 442 and simillar variants. Usually very exploitable in the middle and possession but they always cause a threat, almost any team. They use slow but very powerful strikers, most of the time in a pairing, behind a hardworking midfield and long range direct passing.

Probably next time i play i will give norsk league a try or maybe finland. They both have pretty good talents at very low prices.

I also never play in England. Still on FM14 (mainly because in 15 the Argentine league is messed up) and had a great save building up Real Sociedad from down in the Adelante. Also had a fun run with Danubio in Uruguay, who have a brilliant academy, and in Argentina managed success with Atlanta and now Racing. I've got a few Central American leagues loaded, what I'd like to do next is move to a giant in Costa Rica, Honduras or Guatemala. It takes all sorts...

Help me out here what is messed up with the argentina league? im thinking of managing there in the near future is their anything I should be aware of???

Lincoln of Gibraltar. Giants of Europe.
Gibraltar for me too, but I prefer to take over a second division team and stop the Lincoln dominance. Hound Dogs all the way!

Help me out here what is messed up with the argentina league? im thinking of managing there in the near future is their anything I should be aware of???

In game after the first 6 months the league structure changes into a 30 team tournament which is awful as you only play each team once, there is only one relegation spot, etc.

Also qualification for libertadores and sudamericana is bugged, youth player production on some teams is insane, ticket prices are wrong which leads to Boca Juniors becoming filthy rich. The whole league structure is messed up

In game after the first 6 months the league structure changes into a 30 team tournament which is awful as you only play each team once, there is only one relegation spot, etc.

Also qualification for libertadores and sudamericana is bugged, youth player production on some teams is insane, ticket prices are wrong which leads to Boca Juniors becoming filthy rich. The whole league structure is messed up

Couldn't have answered better myself, it's probably the main reason I haven't bought FM15 and I'll most likely wait until the AFA sort it out before buying again. Not SI's fault of course, we're suffering in real life too! The Boca issue is an interesting one, they do tend to dominate. I guess it's hard to replicate a league where two teams (along with River) should win everything like Barca and Madrid due to fanbase, finances, attendances etc but for whatever reason are pretty well-matched in real life.

FM15 players, does the league structure change at all after 2015? Or are you stuck with 30 teams for eternity?

so this is an AFA thing and not Sports interactive messing it up???

Montpellier on FM14 is one of the best saves I've ever played. France is challenging: PSG and Monaco spend almost like the top English teams, but you won't be seeing any TV money to help you make up the gap. Getting into the Champions League or at least Europa becomes mandatory, as you need the $$$ to pay your wages. On the plus side, you can sign as many players from Africa as you'd like.

Played 9 seasons, most I've ever put into an FM save. Had Won Ligue 1 several times, got to the Champions League semis twice. Remy Cabella stayed with the team, led Ligue 1 in assists every year, but never got a single call up. (I'm still a little mad about that, LOL)

Sadly the league is absolutely correct in structure, each team plays once for 29 games and then they play the derby rival again to round up to 30. This one we can't pin on SI, but it means I won't buy FM15 cos of AFA's craziness!

The old Clausura/Apertura format was brilliant, seasons were short, sweet and straightforward. Only confusing thing was the ridiculous "3 season average" to see who will be relegated. But now, wow, just what are those hippies in the AFA thinking of.:eek:

I had a fantastic save starting with PSV, with whom I won the league in 7 out of 8 seasons, brought youngsters to world class status, and reached the QFs of Champions League. Left when I felt I could do no more with them, went to Napoli for a year and was head hunted by Real Madrid, who were still on 9 Champions League wins until I came along. Ultimately that job was the end of my interest in the save though; more money than I knew what to do with, a side that could beat anyone, and the board insisting on new big-name signings meant I was spending literally €250m on back up strikers.

PSV though, good times... (getting misty eyed here...)

Archived