Semi Final 1: Brazil V Germany - 21:00 BST

Djstu23

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be better. :cool:

A good effect of losing by 1-7 is that Scolari can't pretend Thiago Silva and Neymar would have made a big difference.

My friends over there said he's seen German fans being beaten up by Brazilian fans already

Many fans trying to cover themselves up with ponchos

That happened, but it was kind of expected, they were relatively isolated incidents, probably caused in part by too much alcohol, etc..

I mean, there have been fights between Brazilian fans as well, this has been happening since the start of the World Cup, to a bigger or lesser extent.

Like all bad news, not getting reported often though.

Such a shame for Brazil as a nation. I really hope after this they go back to playing like they did pre 2002, beautiful football.

Before 1990, you mean?

And why?

We don't have the mentality or the players to play that way, if we are to try to play attacking football, we will lose by 10-0 next time we meet Germany, rather than 7-1...

Better park the bus and reduce spaces even more.

Brazilian fans reportedly booing the national team and throwing oranges at their bus as the national team leave the airport to return to the training ground.

Brazilian fans reportedly booing the national team and throwing oranges at their bus as the national team leave the airport to return to the training ground.
oranges is such a bad choice in a case like this, should just go for eggs and tomatoes

oranges is such a bad choice in a case like this, should just go for eggs and tomatoes

Yes, I assume they didn't have anything else available.

Remember the silly memes about Diego Costa having realized he should have played for Brazil instead of Spain?

Now there are some like this one where he realizes he made the right decision: :D

BsDcOBhIgAAtW-4.jpg

And to think that was Germamy without Gotze & Reus..

The potential for domination within this Germany side is really terrifying, espically as a Scotland fan. They're basically putting world football on notice, with the age of a lot of the players around the squad not even near peak years yet mixed with the potential of Loew successor being Jurgen Klopp, the Germans could dominate longer than the last Spanish cycle.

What a night.

Why is it more terrifying as a Scotland fan? :D are you naturally more frightened as a people?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying_Group_D :-D

I think this score line has to be put at least into some context, it really does. Whilst there is no denying Germany's quality in midfield in particular, they were given tons of space that should have never been by players completely losing it after it was 0-1 (Marcelo, Luiz). Each goal coming was another shock, and those goals came quickly. And then the tie was over -- due to German efficiency no less who no doubt have the quality to exploit such space if they are given. Brazil didn't learn much from the 0-4 thumping of Portugal in the group stages, apparently, which likewise was a side thinking it can open all up.

That you can shut out this side too was seen against Algeria, and van Gaal should look at this match rather than this night if Holland progress. Holland are far better on the break too.

The truth is somewhere to be found in between both those matches. Remember that for all of Spain's "dominance", it's not as if they dominated their entire 2010 World Cup campaign, but struggled against Switzerland and Paraguay, and almost were killed by Robben. Almost. On this level nothing is granted, but as football is full of emotions, we often tend to exaggerate.

I don't think Brazil have been crap this tournament.

They surfed their luck a bit versus Croatia winning 3-1, drew with a particuarly tough Mexico, beat Cameroon, drew with a strong Chile,beat their other South American rivals quite comfortably.

They just fell apart against Germany when Germany scored the first goal.

Records broken:

As expected, many records fell yesterday. However, I see nothing about the frequency between the goals. I can't imagine anybody have scored four goals as fast as yesterday. It was blistering. Four goals in 6 minutes is just bonkers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying_Group_D :-D

I think this score line has to be put at least into some context, it really does. Whilst there is no denying Germany's quality in midfield in particular, they were given tons of space that should have never been by players completely losing it after it was 0-1 (Marcelo, Luiz). Each goal coming was another shock, and those goals came quickly. And then the tie was over -- due to German efficiency no less who no doubt have the quality to exploit such space if they are given. Brazil didn't learn much from the 0-4 thumping of Portugal in the group stages, apparently, which likewise was a side thinking it can open all up.

That you can shut out this side too was seen against Algeria, and van Gaal should look at this match rather than this night if Holland progress. Holland are far better on the break too.

The truth is somewhere to be found in between both those matches. Remember that for all of Spain's "dominance", it's not as if they dominated their entire 2010 World Cup campaign, but struggled against Switzerland and Paraguay, and almost were killed by Robben. Almost. On this level nothing is granted, but as football is full of emotions, we often tend to exaggerate.

As for Brazil's game plan, which was flawed as hell, I suspect they looked at what Ghana did, and tried to replicate that with the aggressive pressure and intensity. Germany really were on the ropes in that match, and if Brazil could have done something similar and scored the first goal, and once again gotten away with their roughening up play by the ref, then it could have been interesting - perhaps.

I'm not sure they could have beaten Germany by sitting back, and that's not exactly something Brazilian would want to see anyway. They're way too crap in defence to keep out Germany for 90 minutes and nick a goal on the counter, so perhaps Scolari felt their only chance was to go for a risky gameplan. Germany exploited the gaps with brutal efficiency, and it was sort of surreal to see those five-a-side goals fly in one after the other. Brazil completely undone.

Germany must be as massive favourites for a final as there has ever been after this. LVG have done impressive stuff so far with the limited squad at his disposal, but I can't really see him undoing Germany too, if they get past Argentina.

As expected, many records fell yesterday. However, I see nothing about the frequency between the goals. I can't imagine anybody have scored four goals as fast as yesterday. It was blistering. Four goals in 6 minutes is just bonkers.

As for Brazil's game plan, which was flawed as hell, I suspect they looked at what Ghana did, and tried to replicate that with the aggressive pressure and intensity. Germany really were on the ropes in that match, and if Brazil could have done something similar and scored the first goal, and once again gotten away with their roughening up play by the ref, then it could have been interesting - perhaps.

I'm not sure they could have beaten Germany by sitting back, and that's not exactly something Brazilian would want to see anyway. They're way too crap in defence to keep out Germany for 90 minutes and nick a goal on the counter, so perhaps Scolari felt their only chance was to go for a risky gameplan. Germany exploited the gaps with brutal efficiency, and it was sort of surreal to see those five-a-side goals fly in one after the other. Brazil completely undone.

Germany must be as massive favourites for a final as there has ever been after this. LVG have done impressive stuff so far with the limited squad at his disposal, but I can't really see him undoing Germany too, if they get past Argentina.

Brazilians wouldn't complain about sitting back if it worked.

Many memes in Brazil and abroad about this defeat, like this one:

10462470_673079772741778_660033472484223187_n.jpg

I can never understand how records can be followed by "since 1974" etc. If's not a record IMO if its phrased that way.

There's always going to be some date which we don't know what happened before, just with the WC it's fairly recent.

Was in a pub watching this game last night and the reactions to the first five goals were immense. Never heard such a pro-German (or pro-anything that's not Scotland) bias/celebration.

By the time it was 6/7 nobody cared :D And then one fella went absolutely mental when it went 7-1. He did have a Brazil top on (was definitely a Scottish fella though) so I guess it was just some ironic cheering. I hope it was anyway :D

Wow, that was some party in mid-town Munich, my poor head ^^

Orgasmic result. Waiting for Tele to come with a minute to minute breakdown :D

Actually found that quite shocking to watch, stuff like that just doesn't happen in WC Semi Finals does it? It's like the Brazil players weren't even there. The fifth goal in particular was absolutely criminal, Hummels (I think) just running through 3/4 half challenges, and Luiz just running up the field as if he's in Pro Evo. Unbelievable Jeff.

It kind make you sad for the ones like David Luiz, Neymar and Thiago Silva, and anger with guys like Marcelo, Dante, Fred, Bernard... but after you just realize that you don't won or lose anything with that and could have been worse against Argentina. :herman:

These players would have forgot that in a week I bet. Several good jokes and memes after that match though.:D

And we had so many people involved that didn't deserve to win a World Cup in their own country. Would be heros now without deserving it.

Sorry for the children at stadium too. Many of them cried a lot. At least they would know how football should be played when they grow up.:thup:

Hi DJ,

I don´t remind thinking of a on-pitch result as orgasmic even when seein Brazil winning World Cups or Flamengo winning championships (much more important to me, tbh). But had a good laugh on your choice of words.

Perhaps later, if I have the time (was on holidays to follow the WC but as it is fading out - literally - going back to work and travel so it could be more difficult), I will.

The interesting thing about this match is that Brazil of course selected the worst possible tactical plan, and still, for me at least, what we saw was a mental breakdown originated in individual mistakes that have to do with lack of IQ and/or talent. Germany would probably had won easily even without such mistakes, but not with this scoreline.

I mean, in the first 4-5 minutes, while Brazil seemed to play well with high pressure, etc. - even so the quantity of wrong passes was amazing. Then, the decision making is trash.

First goal originated on a careless pass that was supposed to be flair by Marcelo (no adequate look). He´s been doing this kind of thing all Cup long. Then, in the corner, it was unbelievable that Luiz couldn´t keep at least near Muller, and that ball in the middle of goal was not impossible to defend.

Then Fernandinho and Marcelo again had horrific decisions in the second goal.

My X-Ray would probably focus on the goal plays. Interestingly enough, the so-called barbarian Brazilians didn´t lose their tempers.

After the third goal, really, it was more a case of joking around. Brazilians are less dramatic than you think. Maybe some will cry, etc. but most were already thinking about the jokes.

Here´s a little poem:

When the dog barks

While the cat snores

You are reading this

And Germany scores

About suffering, my dad was 12 in 1950, and went to Maracana to some games (not the final as it was too full). That generation suffered - until 58, of course. Yesterday was a football masterclass mingled with a mental breakdown, it is not quite as close in terms of grievance. Brazil had a team to win in 1950 and could have done that any day. That was the half-injustice in it. Getting close, etc.

Yesterday there was no game. Nothing to regret, though it looks humiliating of course.

Cheers,

Tele

Hi DJ,

I don´t remind thinking of a on-pitch result as orgasmic even when seein Brazil winning World Cups or Flamengo winning championships (much more important to me, tbh). But had a good laugh on your choice of words.

Perhaps later, if I have the time (was on holidays to follow the WC but as it is fading out - literally - going back to work and travel so it could be more difficult), I will.

The interesting thing about this match is that Brazil of course selected the worst possible tactical plan, and still, for me at least, what we saw was a mental breakdown originated in individual mistakes that have to do with lack of IQ and/or talent. Germany would probably had won easily even without such mistakes, but not with this scoreline.

I mean, in the first 4-5 minutes, while Brazil seemed to play well with high pressure, etc. - even so the quantity of wrong passes was amazing. Then, the decision making is trash.

First goal originated on a careless pass that was supposed to be flair by Marcelo (no adequate look). He´s been doing this kind of thing all Cup long. Then, in the corner, it was unbelievable that Luiz couldn´t keep at least near Muller, and that ball in the middle of goal was not impossible to defend.

Then Fernandinho and Marcelo again had horrific decisions in the second goal.

My X-Ray would probably focus on the goal plays. Interestingly enough, the so-called barbarian Brazilians didn´t lose their tempers.

After the third goal, really, it was more a case of joking around. Brazilians are less dramatic than you think. Maybe some will cry, etc. but most were already thinking about the jokes.

Here´s a little poem:

When the dog barks

While the cat snores

You are reading this

And Germany scores

About suffering, my dad was 12 in 1950, and went to Maracana to some games (not the final as it was too full). That generation suffered - until 58, of course. Yesterday was a football masterclass mingled with a mental breakdown, it is not quite as close in terms of grievance. Brazil had a team to win in 1950 and could have done that any day. That was the half-injustice in it. Getting close, etc.

Yesterday there was no game. Nothing to regret, though it looks humiliating of course.

Cheers,

Tele

Fair enough - there were some attempts at shaking things up by Marcelo and Luiz that I saw (and that's completely understandable of course, in such a scenario you have to something, anything) but at 0-5 in 30 minutes there was nothing left to do. The team was stunned after 0-2. There was no defense for goals 3, 4 and 5.

Some days you end up at the wrong end of a footballing miracle - no matter if this was not the greatest Brazil team, you can replay this match dozens of times and Germany will never end up winning like this again.

Scolari out, I presume, and rebuilding time. They probably should hire PMLF to get in 'real' Brazilian players. Or something.

Pish can be used as "in denial", as if I´m not mistaken. I´m not a native English speaker, though, as you can tell. ;-)

Couldn´t paste the picture here, but even the 6th sense kid is saying he sees Germany goals.

Bruce Willis asks: How often?

He replies: Always.

Brazilian self-deprecating humour.

Archived