Still think this has been the best World Cup?

el sid

Best ever World Cup?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Best ever World Cup?

94 was my fav world cup, but thats probably because it was the first I truly remember. This is close to that imo.

94 > 14 > 98 > 02 > 06 > 10 for me.

'94 was also my first although I did watch some of '90 as well but can't really remember it with any clarity as I was too young. USA '94 was the first World Cup in which I tried to watch every match that I could.

I pretty much agree with your line-up except I would go with '98 first. Also, I think I enjoyed '94 more than this World Cup, so would have that second. 2010 was definitely the poorest World Cup that I've watched.

I feel like the first World Cups I watched in the 90s were more exciting somehow, although it's probably partly because they were my first ones and I'm looking back with a great deal of nostalgia. However, I've got to say that it seems as if there were more amazing star players to look forward to watching and also more of the big names delivered at the World Cup back then. I feel as if there were always more legendary players at World Cups when I first started watching them and today's crop don't match up. Again, no doubt a lot of nostalgia on my part as I think back though.

For this World Cup to be a truly great one, I feel like we needed way more drama and some bigger narratives to capture the imagination. That's what I enjoyed about the best international tournaments I've watched.

There is no doubt it has been a good World Cup though. I think the quality of the football has been good, some of the games extremely entertaining and the atmosphere in the stadiums has been great at times.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just hoping for a classic final. I barely remember 1998 or 2002, 2006 I was watching while on holiday in Florida and I don't recall it being a particularly good game and 2010 was pretty dull. When was the last truly great final?

Good semis and an excellent final will see this tournament as very, very difficult to beat.

2006 was the best. The best host. The best player I've seen decided to turn up when his team was desperate and then single-handedly pushed all the way to the final. Italy won the World Cup with Toni and Materazzi as the best goalscorers with two goals. The headbutt. Buffon conceded only from an own goal and a penalty. Zuberbühler went home without conceding. Figo's last cross in the World Cup. Germany played great football. Etc.

I think its been brilliant. Even with the lack of goals in the quarters we have seen some brilliant drama and end to end action. The Brazil Columbia game was fantastic.

These games were never going to end up 4-3's so im not really sure what people expected.

Only seen 3 WC finals (02, 06, 10) and 06 was the best of the lot imo. It was a good spectacle and despite both goals being very early (both before 20 mins iirc) the rest of the match was still quite exciting... unless my mind is playing tricks on me. Not a classic by any means but better than 02 and MILES better than 10 which was awful (but that, what do you expect from that Spain side?).

'94 was a better competition over all IMO

This has definitely been the best one since then, and it has served to remind how truly dreadful the last one in South Africa was.

Crap football, vuvuzelas, and an absolutely horrific host country................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........................

(forgot probably the most boring World Champion of all time as well)

To me I would rank them like this: 1998 > 1994 > 2014 > 2006 > 2010 > 2002.

Hard to choose between 94 and 98 as best cup I've seen, lots of classic knockout ties with lots of goals. This one as the tournament progresses, it's becoming clear it's not on that level as the knockouts are fizzling out, and the remaining 4 teams are a little underwhelming but it's still been a better cup than the previous 3 competitions. 2002 to me easily wins the title of crappiest tournament, although judging from historical footage Italy 1990 would rival it (for anyone not biased towards England's nostalgic performance) but I was too young to watch football then.

Good shout on whoever praised Euro 2000, that was a sensational peak of attacking football and amazing strong squads all around, definitely the best Euros I've watched.

For me 06/14/98>02>10. Although tbh this is muddied slightly by 2006 being the first World Cup I watched properly; school got in the way in 98, 02 the times were off and before 98 I was too young.

98. From those I have seen it probably had the best knockout stage, Ned - Arg stands out for the Bergkamp goal and in hindsight Eng - Arg as well (although I still hate Beckham for ruining the first game I stayed up late for). Ronaldo being a shadow of himself in the final was a huge shame. Fwiw I watched the FIFA film of this tournament the other weekend, I had forgotten (or not appreciated at the time) just how many great players there were in that tournament.

02. At the time it felt like a very weak tournament, as others have said there were a lot of shocks early on that diluted the quality a bit. Although I got to miss a few lessons (yay) to watch such exciting games as England v Nigeria (boo).

06. Looking back probably not the best tournament but better than those either side and I remember more than 98. The final was certainly memorable, and there were some good games throughout although there was also one of the worst (Swi - Ukr).

10. It just wasn't very interesting bar the odd sub-plot (Uru - Gha) and the final was dreadful although it did a good job of continuing the violence theme from 06. Add to that the awful Vuvuzela...

14. The group stage was excellent, the knockouts have ranged from the dull (CRc - Gre, most Bel games) to the absorbing and there have been some great goals. There is the prospect of a derby final as well. The final 4 games will decide it, if they are good then for me it will be the best in my time watching football. Plus there is still the prospect of a derby final (mon Ger - Ned).

I was too young to remember 1990 but it sounded like an awful tournament, loads of minnows overachieving. Rep of Ireland finished 2nd due to a poxy coin toss and even got to the QF's without winning a game.

I only remember bits of the 1994 World Cup, Houghtons goal, Baggio's penalty.

1998 was the first proper one I watched and Ive watched nearly every game of every tournament since and this year has been my favourite

certainly had the best group stage of any world cup i've seen, I can say that. Requires an epic match in the semis or finals to be the best i've seen overall though.

I think an epic final will certainly cement it, whereas one epic semi, one dull one and a dull final may not.

Thinking a bit more, I'd swap my rankings and place 94 above 98 as the best cup I've seen. I was only 8 so my judgement can be clouded, but I think it's not just nostalgia - there were some genuinely great matches there with loads of goals. Romania-Argentina, Brazil-Holland, Romania-Sweden, the pleasing shock that was Bulgaria-Germany... that was a quality knockout stage.

I think all-time 82 and 86 probably were the absolute peak of glorious entertaining football and epic ties, but I wasn't there to witness it live.

Will it be worse then the Uruguay final?

Yes and no.

Losing a final is always shocking, especially at home, but that defeat was not humiliating, this one is.

certainly had the best group stage of any world cup i've seen, I can say that. Requires an epic match in the semis or finals to be the best i've seen overall though.

Fair to say this has been accomplished now. :D

A classic final, 2-1 or 3-2 ridiculously close game between two teams properly going for it and we have our best world cup ever (at least from the ones I've seen...but from the ones I've seen it's already the best so...)

By far the best for me.

I was too young to fully appreciate the world cup in 98. Don't remember watching much of it.

In 2002 I was still in school and barely watched anything of it. Watched our match against Tunesia on a big screen at school, and I remember our match against Brazil in the first knockout round, listening to it on the radio during recess. The rest of it was all during classes.

2006, 2010 were decent but nothing special.

This tournament, for a start it had our (Belgium) best performance since 1986, the best in my lifetime. And add to that all the crazy results, crazy matches etc and I doubt I'll see a tournament like this again any time soon.

I don't really think I've seen an exciting World Cup Final since I've been watching football, Mexico 86 came a bit too early for me

1990 - terrible game

1994 - even worse than 1990

1998 - France played well but Ronaldo was the main story behind the whole game

2002 - Ronaldo got his redemption but it was another poor game

2006 - it wasn't bad but that game is remembered for Zidane

2010 - Dutch kicking Spain, not exactly a good game at all

I was 8 in 2002 so that will always go down as my favourite, I remember so vividly running home from school to see the France v Senegal highlights and jumping around my grandparents living room celebrating. 2006 was great as well though my abiding memories of it are bad ones: playing football in my garden at half time in extra time of the Germany Italy semi and accidentally hitting and then intruding upon a wasps nest (got a week off school thanks to the stings though :cool:) and then missing the headbutt as I had to welcome my sister home from some exchange trip. I enjoyed 2010 too but mainly just because it was a World Cup in a great time of my life rather than the quality of the football. This one definitely tops the last 2 though, so much drama and great football, even if it was won by a team I'm not hugely keen on.

02 > 14 > 06 > 10

I've seen the last four WC finals and whilst 2002 was my first, I remember 06 much better. I wasn't that into football in 2002 and it wasn't until the aftermath of the 2002 WC that I fell in love with the sport properly - I was in Portugal the day of the final, due to fly home the same day Brazil beat Germany. We watched the game in a small bar/restaurant type place and then didn't quite realise how popular a Brazilian victory would be in Portugal (slight oversight by my parents I think :D). Almost missed the flight because of people walking down the streets celebrating :D

I recall 06 well as I was 13 by then and I was properly into football. I thought it was a good game. Nothing amazing, not a classic, but certainly a good game. If I had to rank them, I'd put it as 14>>>06>02>>>10.

Archived