FM14: What Team should I be?

SRL88

Thank you guys, great suggestions. I'm divided between St. Pauli and Dresden, already played with Pro Vercelli (started two times, got fired on both occasions, first time in Serie B, second after failing to qualify for CL after playing in final year before). Wanted to go to Germany for a while, since FM 2012 i haven't managed team from that country. And Leipzig, too many people already play with them...

I've just started a new save at St. Pauli as I do in most FM's, it's definitely worth a go :thup:

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit bored of FM atm, so i want to start a game away from Europe, starting in America's.

I dont want a massive club, but some sort of club that has a challenge whilst developing youth, maybe a fallen giant challenge.

What do you guys think ?

Nation:mid to small euro nation, must have to qualify for champs league group stages

Division:lowest to highest

European Competition: no

Media Prediction: avoid relegation

Board Expectation(s):same as above

Transfer Budget:not concerned

Wage Budget: not concerned

Finances:not overly fussed as long as not rich, I do enjoy a good financial crises

Other: I like taking teams that are a real challenge ( crap team, terrible finances etc) from smaller nations and breaking into the champs league,

Nation: Preferably Europe

Division: Don't care

European Competition: Don't care

Media Prediction: Don't care

Board Expectation(s): Don't care

Transfer Budget: Don't care

Wage Budget: Don't care

Finances: Not in debt

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult): I don't want a top club. 7-10

Other: I want to build a team from the ground up. A team with a passionate and hooligan fan base. The kits cannot be red. I would prefer blue kits. I would like the club to have good youth facilities.

I immediately thought of Athletic Bilbao or Stade Rennais, but they do have red shirts. Why does that matter? Both have a great youth setup. With Athletic you will be completely dependent on bringing youths through. With their fan base and season ticket prices they actually turn out quite rich, but with few players to actually spend on except for the most promising youths in Spain. With Rennes you can do a bit of buying too, but will have to do well to compete with the rich clubs. They always seem to produce excellent talents in my games, although I haven't actually managed them yet.

I immediately thought of Athletic Bilbao or Stade Rennais, but they do have red shirts. Why does that matter? Both have a great youth setup. With Athletic you will be completely dependent on bringing youths through. With their fan base and season ticket prices they actually turn out quite rich, but with few players to actually spend on except for the most promising youths in Spain. With Rennes you can do a bit of buying too, but will have to do well to compete with the rich clubs. They always seem to produce excellent talents in my games, although I haven't actually managed them yet.

I despise the colour red.

Anyone looking for a good game I would recommend Zenit St Petersburg in Russia. Very good side in a competitive league I think, plenty of other clubs who you can compete with, the Moscow clubs, Anzhi etc. They also start off with a £42 million transfer kitty so for managers wanting plenty of money are well covered.

They also have a good squad, Hulk, Kerzhakov, Lombaerts etc. The maximum of 7 foreign players on the pitch at any one time is a bit of a pain but it gives you the opportunity to develop the youth facilities and bring your own players through. Also there stadium only holds 22,000 but they are moving into a new 70,000 arena in 2016 so if you can stick your game out until this point the financial rewards should come.

Another thing I think about when managing is to manage a team where you have been yourself outside of your countries league. I support Sunderland but Ive been to a Zenit match, when I was in St Petersburg about 15 years ago. It sounds silly but this is one of the things I do when deciding on a save.

Hope my advice helps :)

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult): I don't want a top club. 7-10

Other: I want to build a team from the ground up. A team with a passionate and hooligan fan base. The kits cannot be red. I would prefer blue kits. I would like the club to have good youth facilities.

Why does a holigan fanbase matter in a game? Not being funny, Im just curious.

Blue Clubs

Glasgow Rangers? Not difficult and would be classed as a big club though, but you can put your stamp on them as the first two seasons will be simple. Eg. Focus on youth. Great fans, I average over 60k attendance atm after moving back into the 64,000 seater expanded Ibrox Stadium.

Schalke? Good fans, some crazy ultras. Difficulty wouldn't be a 7-10 though and they're a top club. Good youth facilities, they always produce top youngsters in my games.

Hoffenheim? More of a challenge for the top places, 7-10. Not sure of youth facilities but you should be able to upgrade to a suitable level. Fans are plastic, so doesn't meet that criteria.

Hertha BSC? The only club from the captial in Germany's top flight at the moment. Keep them up and turn them into a force. Not sure of youth but you should have dominance on the Berlin catchment area.

My suggestions don't really fit all your criteria that well tbh. Other blue clubs could be Everton, Brighton, Birmingham but not really a fanatic fanbase.

Anyone looking for a good game I would recommend Zenit St Petersburg in Russia. Very good side in a competitive league I think, plenty of other clubs who you can compete with, the Moscow clubs, Anzhi etc. They also start off with a £42 million transfer kitty so for managers wanting plenty of money are well covered.

They also have a good squad, Hulk, Kerzhakov, Lombaerts etc. The maximum of 7 foreign players on the pitch at any one time is a bit of a pain but it gives you the opportunity to develop the youth facilities and bring your own players through. Also there stadium only holds 22,000 but they are moving into a new 70,000 arena in 2016 so if you can stick your game out until this point the financial rewards should come.

Another thing I think about when managing is to manage a team where you have been yourself outside of your countries league. I support Sunderland but Ive been to a Zenit match, when I was in St Petersburg about 15 years ago. It sounds silly but this is one of the things I do when deciding on a save.

Hope my advice helps :)

Do they fill that 70,000 seater stadium though?

Why does a holigan fanbase matter in a game? Not being funny, Im just curious.

I'm from Canada and I love the Montreal Canadiens hockey team. We are known to have a somewhat of hooligan fan base. After a playoff match win a lot of the fans torched cars and cop cars, etc.. I want to manage a team similar to the Canadiens.

Nation:

Division: Don't Care

European Competition: English/Scottish

Media Prediction: Don't Care

Board Expectation(s): Don't Care

Transfer Budget: Decent over 150k

Wage Budget: Decent (over 30k/w

Finances: Stable preferably gaining, good fan base.

Other: I would like a team for the future I love youth prospects so a team that's got good youth is a must, also a team predicted maybe mid standing is good, easy to achieve and don't have to worry about much and ill just train my youth up for a few years before making a bid for the title. Nothing lower then Sky Bet 2 please, some other Europe nations might be fine haven't tried anything besides England.

Preferred League: Any except England

Financial information: Good, with decent transfer budget

Expected position: Potential and pushing for Champions League in first season

Training/youth facilities: Don't matter.

Any team that is pushing for european football in first season. Not in England.

Nation: Any

Division: Not top league

European Competition: No

Media Prediction: Title Challenge

Board Expectation(s): N/A

Transfer Budget: Enough to make signings if needed

Wage Budget: Same as above

Finances: Not overly bothered

Other: Looking for a bit of a fallen giant save, a team who have fallen down the leagues a little bit and need a rebuild but could become a top force again. Deportivo have always caught my eye but quite interested to hear some other suggestions

Side Note: Ive got a thing for playing 2 up top/442 at the moment so a team that could handle that would be brill

Nation: Any

Division: Not top league

Media Prediction: Title Challenge

Transfer Budget: Enough to make signings if needed

Wage Budget: Same as above

Finances: Not overly bothered

Other: Looking for a bit of a fallen giant save, a team who have fallen down the leagues a little bit and need a rebuild but could become a top force again. Deportivo have always caught my eye but quite interested to hear some other suggestions

Side Note: Ive got a thing for playing 2 up top/442 at the moment so a team that could handle that would be brill

English:- Nottingham Forrest, Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Preston, Blackburn Rovers, Portsmouth, Preston North End

French:- Aj Auxerre, RC Lens

Spain:- Deportivo like you said. Rest are likely in top division.

German:- 1. FC Kaiserslautern, 1. FC Köln, SpVgg Greuther Fürth(Title as Furth) TSV 1860 München, Fortuna Düsseldorf

Italy:- Pro Vercelli

English:- Nottingham Forrest, Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Preston, Blackburn Rovers, Portsmouth, Preston North End

French:- Aj Auxerre, RC Lens

Spain:- Deportivo like you said. Rest are likely in top division.

German:- 1. FC Kaiserslautern, 1. FC Köln, SpVgg Greuther Fürth(Title as Furth) TSV 1860 München, Fortuna Düsseldorf

Italy:- Pro Vercelli

Excellent suggestions cheers mate :) I started unemployed with a Pro Rep and ended up at Aj Auxerre so all is good. Thanks anyway, Ill keep these in mind for if I ever decide to change my save/teams

Nation: Spain/Italy/England any of the top nations really

Division: Bottom Leagues (Very bottom)

Media Prediction: Any

Transfer Budget: some cash if not alot

Wage Budget: Preferably a club with alot of wages free so i can make my own team from free signings

Finances: preferably with some stable backing

Other: With 1 or 2 players worth a afew hundred thousand/million who i could sell on to rebuild a squad.

• 2 weeks later...

Nation: At least a fairly big league, preferably not England though.

League: Fairly high but not over mid table in the top tier.

Finances: A want a team with some debt. I'll probably need to sell an asset each season to balance the books. A note on this - I don't want Man Utd type sustainable debt over a long number of years.

Other: I'm looking for a Valencia/ Lyon but not quite so big in stature.

:)

Nation: Preferably Europe (not england)

Division: Preferably top division

Transfer Budget: some budget

Wage Budget: some wages free

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult):4-6

Other: I've fallen out of love with fm recently so lookin for a team that i can get my teeth into and build and make a real force in there league

Lets give this ago, see if any of you can tempt me.. (Am running the Update from liveupdate.me, All Winter transfers included - Really recommend it!)

Nation: Anywhere in Europe.

Division: Top two divisions.

European Competition: Not bothered.

Media Prediction: Mid-table/not bothered.

Board Expectation(s): Whatever.

Transfer Budget: A fair amount, 3mill+ maybe.

Wage Budget: Again, a fair amount to work along side the TB.

Finances: Secure

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult): 5-7

Other: Struggled to settle into FM recently, a constant crash dump ruined my last long-term save when 14.2.2 came out. Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Nation: Outside the usual leagues, in Europe tho

Division: Top or 2nd tier

European Competition: N/A

Media Prediction: Dont mind

Board Expectation(s): Dont mind

Transfer Budget: Dont Mind

Wage Budget: Dont mind

Other: Looking for a game with a backstory of some sorts. Maybe like a team from a country, that has never played in the Europa League or CL group stages or some other interesting story,

Nation: Preferably Europe (not england)

Division: Preferably top division

Transfer Budget: some budget

Wage Budget: some wages free

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult):4-6

Other: I've fallen out of love with fm recently so lookin for a team that i can get my teeth into and build and make a real force in there league

Feyenoord would be my suggestion. They have a big following 50k average attendance, good youth prospects in Clasie, Vilhena, Martins Indi to name a few and PSV and Ajax will always challenge you.

In deciding a new game for FM2014 and after listening to the radio build-up to the Manchester City v Barcelona game where they mentioned that 15 years ago last night Man City were in the 3rd tier of English football preparing to play Macclesfield I took my inspiration to League 1.

To try and emulate I have broken it down to the following teams currently in League 1 ~ Sheffield United, Wolves or Coventry.

What do people think would be the most inspiring/fun team to choose in terms of stability, youth, finance, stadium, crowds, season ticket holders & ability to attract the best lower league players and Scandinavian prospects from the start.

Thanks for any input.

Nation: France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Holland or Belgium

European Competition: Preferably none

Media Prediction: Not important

Board Expectation(s): Not important

Transfer Budget: Not important

Wage Budget: Not important, but preferably none over the budget

Finances: Not important.

Other: I am looking for a team on the smaller side which have a young prospect to build the team around. Someone who can be a top player in that country (not necessarily a world beater).

Nation: France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Holland or Belgium

European Competition: Preferably none

Media Prediction: Not important

Board Expectation(s): Not important

Transfer Budget: Not important

Wage Budget: Not important, but preferably none over the budget

Finances: Not important.

Other: I am looking for a team on the smaller side which have a young prospect to build the team around. Someone who can be a top player in that country (not necessarily a world beater).

Having only ever played in Serie A, I can only give you Italian clubs.

Sampdoria - They have 2 very good young players [Pedro Obaing & Gabbiadini]. There's also Poli [MC] who's currently at one of the Milan clubs who you co-own. There's also 2 or 3 young guns in the U19's that can turn out very good if you do all the right things.

Roma - Large club, but no European Football and only have 3 league titles to their name. They're littered with good youngsters and have some of the best young midfielders in Italy.

Fiorentina - Have a good youngster that needs some work [Capezzi]. Have only ever won 2 Serie A titles. That said, they are in the UEFA cup I think.

Parma - They have one of the best youngsters in FM [Cerri], however, they have around 160 players on their books :lol:, so come the 2nd season, when they all return from their loan deals, you have to shift almost all of them otherwise your wage budget goes through the roof.

So new patch out means I'll start a new save. Don't know what I want to do.

Nation: Any of the top 6/7 countries

Division: Any

Other: Maybe relatively good youth facilities. Just need a new fun save, open to anything really

Other: Maybe relatively good youth facilities. Just need a new fun save, open to anything really

How about Forest? Have a good squad already with the new loan signings. They also have a great youngster in Jamaal Lascelles and a few others who look like they have been improved. £5m transfer budget about £25k left in the wage kitty. They're expected to sign high profile players. But if you ask for a meeting for philosophies to be changed in you original meeting. You might be successful in getting rid of that. Before the philosophies meeting, ask for the wage budget to be increased. It usually is.

Aston Villa, Southampton, Leeds

Other blue clubs could be Everton, Brighton, Birmingham but not really a fanatic fanbase.

You seriously classing Everton with those Championship clubs. We are one the best supported teams in England, sell out home and away, year in year out. Learn your history!!

Nation: Not too bothered. Somewhere that isn't England would be nice.

Division: Not too bothered. Lower would be nicer but not necessary.

European Competition: Not needed.

Media Prediction: Not relegation, not promotion. Mid table really.

Board Expectation(s): Same as above.

Transfer Budget: One that gives me a little bit to work with, not too much.

Wage Budget: Same as above.

Finances: Stable. Not too rich though!

Other: A reasonably balanced starting squad. Good youth and training facilities to start with as well as some good coaches. Would also prefer to have a youth team that has some decent prospects and is actually entered into a competition, as I've noticed quite a few sides I've taken a look at on the new database don't seem to be entered into a youth competition. Also, no Amateur or Semi-Pro sides please.

Nation: Pretty much anywhere

Division: Not too fussed but would prefer a club either not in the top division or not the top club in the top division

European Competition: Does not matter

Media Prediction: Not too fussed

Board Expectation(s): Not very particular

Transfer Budget: Not too fussed

Wage Budget: Some room to work with

Other: I really am not sure what I am looking for to be honest, am looking for any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ok I really need some help: I must have started around 30 leagues in the last week set everything up training/transfers/staff etc get to the first couple of the games of the season lose one or two and rage quit!

Nation: England

Division: Premier League

European Competition: Not vital but would be nice

Media Prediction: top 10

Board Expectation(s): minimum safe mid table - challengers

Transfer Budget: £15million +

Wage Budget: room to sign 2/3 players and sell 2/3 players

Other: I have been Arsenal, Everton and Southampton (multiple times :herman: ) I like to sign British young players. I just need a reason to STICK with the save and get right into it! I hate it when there isn't a clear formation to play with (only a RW no LW currently at the club) I'm not adverse to trying Arsenal again, But trying to fit the midfield together without leaving anyone out just drives me mad!

Ok I really need some help: I must have started around 30 leagues in the last week set everything up training/transfers/staff etc get to the first couple of the games of the season lose one or two and rage quit!

Nation: England

Division: Premier League

European Competition: Not vital but would be nice

Media Prediction: top 10

Board Expectation(s): minimum safe mid table - challengers

Transfer Budget: £15million +

Wage Budget: room to sign 2/3 players and sell 2/3 players

Other: I have been Arsenal, Everton and Southampton (multiple times :herman: ) I like to sign British young players. I just need a reason to STICK with the save and get right into it! I hate it when there isn't a clear formation to play with (only a RW no LW currently at the club) I'm not adverse to trying Arsenal again, But trying to fit the midfield together without leaving anyone out just drives me mad!

These suggestions aren't top ten clubs in the Premier League, but why not a club like Sunderland, West Bromwich Albion or Hull? All have potential. While they may not be fashionable clubs, they're good, honest clubs who have good infrastructure, as well as squads which can certainly overachieve in the first couple of seasons.

I'm not too sure what the budgets are like - I presume quite considerable in Sunderland's case - but all three are good options, in my opinion.

Nation: Germany lower divisions

Division: Bundesliga 2 etc

European Competition: -

Media Prediction: -

Board Expectation(s): -

Transfer Budget: -

Finances: -

Other: Looking more for a team with a good fanbase, not much history in the higher divisions, decent facilities for generating youth.

Archived