FM Wonderkid to Real Life Obscurity

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great player, but not as good as on FM 185 PA in FM14 where abilities are generally tuned down. Look at Özil who has 168 CA. Any sane manager would take Ôzil over Rooney as a AMC.

Rooney has both higher PA and CA than Özil in FM14. Coz he's english. Had Rooney been german he would probably have a much lower CA/PA :)

:applause::applause::applause:

Just signed the legendary Mads Timm for my Nykobing team in FM 14 as a player/assistant manager on non-contract :D Was top class in CM 01/02, but then injuries got to him:

etxmyx.png

Great player, but not as good as on FM 185 PA in FM14 where abilities are generally tuned down. Look at Özil who has 168 CA. Any sane manager would take Ôzil over Rooney as a AMC.

Rooney has both higher PA and CA than Özil in FM14. Coz he's english. Had Rooney been german he would probably have a much lower CA/PA :)

Well Özil is Turkish, so...

I remember signing a young lad called Ramon Calliste from Man Utd on CM 01/02, I think it was. He scored bucketfuls (up to 100 goals a season) for me, so I kept an ear out on his actual career. I think he dropped right down the English divisions... very far.

http://cardiffyouthfootball.wordpress.com/2012/11/07/ramon-calliste-where-is-he-now/

Khouma Babacar. Was it FM 2012 I think, always scored over 50 or 60 goals a season, was basically a perfect striker. Yaya Sanogo was also a beast in the same game but he's at Arsenal now, and is still very young so he might end up a good player yet.

Hardly in obscurity are they? Sanogo is at ARSENAL, that Arsenal who happens to be in the Premier League. And while Babacar has regressed he is hardly playing in obscurity, he is still contracted to Fiorentina and is 'only' playing at Modena in Serie B on loan.

Yeah I'm kind of aware of what he did at Old Trafford. :D

I think he's referring to Hans Blomqvist, incredibly talented midfielder who unfortunately had a drinking problem coupled with diabetes. His drinking problems made him neglect his diabetes, leading to injuries and a failed career. Very unfortunate, he could have been great.

Some great names mentioned here, bringing back a lot of memories!

From the same crop of Swedish youngsters that produced Stefan Ishizaki and Kennedy Bakircioglu a decade ago, I had two others that always did really well; Tobias Hysen and Jonas Lundin.

I can't remember if he was ever a bona fide FM wonderkid, but I'd be inclined to add Dennis Oliech. Remember watching him in the African Cup Of Nations about ten years ago and he terrorised defences with his raw pace. Has played in France at a decent standard (Nantes, Auxerre Ajaccio) for years now, but, at 28, only has about 35 league goals to his name in that period. Could rarely find him on FM when he broke through, as I couldn't have that many additional nations loaded back then!

Alot of the ones I thought of have already been mentioned but one i've never heard discussed on forums is a guy from around 2004(ish) called Toledo.

He played for (I think) Catanzaro, or some other Italian team, was a right winger and was amazing. Opponents couldn't get the ball off him and he was first signing i'd have (albeit if work permits allowed). Would love to hear that someone else had had him do well!

Around the same time i'd also sign Walsall's Kris Taylor (DL) and Justin Hoyte (DR) - they would get 8 a game in pretty much any team they played in.

Anyone else had any outstanding players, on multiple records, that only they seem to have 'discovered'?

I think he was a semi-fake player the researcher(s) added just for fun... He is indeed a real person (or at least the tax register has a Sindre Løe Bing born in 1989 in the Kongsvinger area) but his football history is so sparse, and frankly irrelevant, I suppose he was put into the db just because.

I remember even in more recent CM (post-split) games there were a couple of young and completely unknown Norwegian players with good potential and ridiculous nicknames... Totlandinho (aka Jørgen Totland) and something like Tiggi, can't remember.

So I suppose they were either the researchers themselvs or some friends of theirs.

Not fake players per se, a la To Madeira, Mascio or Cascio, but still... Not fair to include a guy with limited youth background and no professional pedigree among the list of overrated and overhyped players, in both FM and real life, who didn't deliver.

BING!!!

Couldn't he play in pretty much every position on the field to one extent or another?

Anatoli Todorov of Litex Lovech was an absolute god in CM 03/04.

Actually, he played for my favourite club Lokomotiv Plovdiv for a while (2008-09). He failed miserably, but then again, the the whole team wasn't doing well at all during that season. Interestingly enough, there was another Lokomotiv player whos FM reputation also contrasted drastically IRL - Dimitar Iliev, who was just as equally bad at the football pitch as Anatoly :lol: Dimitar was never on the same FM level as Anatholy though :lol:

I had Daniel Bierofka as a worldbeater in FM05. Had a few caps for Germany though, but playing the rest of your career in 2. Bundesliga must be considered as obscure, right? Amaury Bischoff, Daniel Ljuboja, Luke Moore, Stephen Hindmarch, and probably to an extent Gael Kakuta is worth a shout as the other better players have already been mentioned. Afraid that Jack Butland or Carlos Fierro would end up in this category in a few years time.

Not mentioned yet :

Adrian Mihalcea

Sindre Loe Bing

Ronald Gomez

Hugo Pinheiro

Mark Kerr

Willie Howie

Andy Burgess

Aaron Cable

Mark Tyler

Tom Youngs

Matthew Etherington

Bojan Djordjic

Tomas Pekhart

Fabio Paim

Nacer Barazite

Sherman Cardenas

Kabba Samura

(Emmanuel Olisadebe)

Antonio Da Silva ; Ferrah Orosco (good ole times ^^)

Saw this thread and was racking my brains for the name of the player who was accomplished in almost every position on the field and did a job anywhere! Sindre Loe Bing.. you legend!

• 4 weeks later...
Pedro Adrian Guede from Malaga around 2000. Pure goalscorer and that obscure that he cant even be found on Wikipedia.

Yannis Tafer as well from 2 - 3 years back has disappeared

I remember Guede, always had him and andreij sigporsson upfront.

Andy Burgess

He had a fantastic career with Rushden and Diamonds I'll have you know :p

But which CM/FM (I assume CM) was he a wonderkid? And when we say wonderkid, I assume we mean potential Premier League or International star do we?

So you don't think that scoring 50 goals for Barcelona is a decent accomplishment? Add in playing for Benfica, Real Madrid and Olympiakos and I think you're seriously misjudging what "obscurity" means.

Although Saviola is hardly 'obscure', it is fair to say he never reached the highest promised in FM a few years ago. Basically, you wouldn't have seen that FM representation of Saviola falling out of the limelight and playing for smaller reputation teams like he did in real life.

I think that the same thing can be said for most of the 'not obscure' comments made on this thread. Although the player isn't obscure, the poster is usually just stating that they are not playing at the top of the top as they were in the version of FM where they were familiar sights for world player of the year.

Which I understand is not the thread title, but it's still interesting to see which players who were absolute world beaters in an older FM failed to be world class.

One to watch - I'm gutted - he was a crucial part of my FA Cup winning Derby County team last year.

Glasgow Herald

Sunday 22 December 2013

CELTIC outcast Tony Watt looks certain to have his season-long loan deal cut short in Belgium after again being slated by his manager at Lierse, Stanley Menzo.

The striker, who shot to stardom last season with a memorable goal against Barcelona at Parkhead in the Champions League, has seen his career nosedive after being sent on loan in August.

Watt, who will be 20 on December 29, was ditched entirely from Lierse's 18-man squad for last night's crucial Pro League relegation clash with Waasland-Beveren.

Although Saviola is hardly 'obscure', it is fair to say he never reached the highest promised in FM a few years ago.

Exactly what I meant - in FM he was Pele, Maradona and Best rolled into one

.. but did he win a CL or a Balon D'or IRL? - he hasn't even been picked for his country since he was about 27 (supposedly a players peak)

Look at some of the players touted as the next big thing at United - Mulryne, Brebner, Djordic - all world beaters in FM - some people have never even heard of them

For every Giggs and Scholes there are 10 Luke Chadwicks or Michael Twiss's that are vastly over-rated in the game

Archived