Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

Henderson's first touch is fine. As his is passing. His passing is very good in fact. The fact most of it is so 'safe' is down to the same mental attributes (or lack of) which mean he doesn't show for the ball enough. But he's 20 years of old so I don't see that as a long term concern. But seeing the likes of Suso and Sterling so comfortable on the ball shows him up a bit. Players develop at different rates but he will be expected to have more of an influence, no doubt about it.

And no point comparing him to Joe Allen. He's the best player in the world.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hendo is 6th choice for midfield and doesn't have seemed to have adapted yet to Rodgers' style. If he's not done so by Jan and there is interest it may be worth moving him on. No idea what's wrong with him, nowhere near as relaxed and competent on the ball as he was at Sunderland. Still could get a decent fee for him I reckon, and let Rodgers bring in someone there, I think a direct back up to Lucas would offer far more than Henderson, who isn't gonna develop while he is only playing a handful of European and Cup games. Would love to be proved wrong but can't see it happening.

But he's 20 years of old so I don't see that as a long term concern. But seeing the likes of Suso and Sterling so comfortable on the ball shows him up a bit. Players develop at different rates but he will be expected to have more of an influence, no doubt about it.

He (Hendo) also seems to have not won over Rodgers yet, who is clearly more impressed with Suso and Shelvey, both of whom are in direct competition with Hendo for a place, while Henderson is on more wages and could probably fetch a very decent price ( I reckon we could get at least £8m for him). I think it's going to be too difficult to develop 3 CM youngsters all at the same time, so everything is against Jordan pecking order wise unless he picks it up drastically. Like Carroll, he's worth too much and on too much to be so far down the pecking order, when his style doesn't seem to totally match. Oh he's 22 btw.

Balls to buying some kid as a keeper. You want a 26/27 year old with loads of experience already.

Riena was 23 when he came to us, Cech was 22 when he joined Chelsea, I'd take Courtois in a heartbeat who is 20. Hart looked good enough at 23. Just as with any other position, if he is good enough he is good enough.

Henderson's first touch is fine. As his is passing. His passing is very good in fact. The fact most of it is so 'safe' is down to the same mental attributes (or lack of) which mean he doesn't show for the ball enough. But he's 20 years of old so I don't see that as a long term concern. But seeing the likes of Suso and Sterling so comfortable on the ball shows him up a bit. Players develop at different rates but he will be expected to have more of an influence, no doubt about it.

And no point comparing him to Joe Allen. He's the best player in the world.

You have the missed the point by a million miles there my friend. His first touch (in that he can control it is okay) but he doesn't do this in a manner that gives him options. His first touch is negative and shuts down his options. Whether this is a technical deficiency or mental is up for debate.

He's also 22.

Half you idiot's in here go around slagging each other off trying to find fault.. Every fan-person in the world has a different view just as managers have different views on how they rate players...

How many fan-people are there?? I've only ever seen one and that was in an episode of The Simpsons.

Goalkeepers probably more than any other position tend improve with game time and experience, Which can be somewhat limited at younger ages.

Most teams have one that plays every game and young keepers don't tend to get 20-30 minutes at the end of games or for obvious reasons get game experience in safer positions like an outfield player does which does tend to mean they don't reach the required experience till an older age.

Cech and Pepe Aren't the norm for goalkeepers, Pepe had nearly 200 top level appearances when we signed him, there are very few goalkeepers that play that much at such a high level so young.

Joe Cole is playing for the under 21's' date=' he looks a tad unfit but he scored, wont be long before he's available for 1st team duties..[/quote']

Europa league and Capital One cup at best for him. He's 3rd choice out left at best and even further down the pecking order in the middle.

Not really. You've picked a few anomalies from the norm that's all.

think there is enough of them to say they aren't anomalies, plus most of the other top keepers around were already top keepers by 25. the issue is to get the right person in, whether they are already 26/27 is irrelevant.

The only thing saving Henderson from my damnation that he's a waste of space is the Lucas effect. Having the right attitude, a good work rate and good decision making (which I think he does well) is a great basis and with gametime and pushed in to a certain role he definitely has the ability to improve.

At the moment he's a bit like Kuyt, without the goals or assists, but with a better first touch.

Butland has done very little so far to suggest he will be anywhere near good enough for a club of our stature so wouldn't go mad splashing millions on him thats for sure.

We need a keeper who is good with his feet, and I am sure our scouts are on the lookout.

The only thing saving Henderson from my damnation that he's a waste of space is the Lucas effect. Having the right attitude, a good work rate and good decision making (which I think he does well) is a great basis and with gametime and pushed in to a certain role he definitely has the ability to improve.

At the moment he's a bit like Kuyt, without the goals or assists, but with a better first touch.

Don't forget the curly golden locks.. ;)

It would also inspire the rest of the players in the team, I'm sure. Plus it'd help us attract better players to the club.

It'd be fantastic if he could do it without being a ****, too. Been alright on that front this season, and actually harshly treated by a few wrong calls.

I got incredibly angry after reading the first 11 words. :mad:

I then read the rest of it, and although it certainly calmed me down somewhat as I understood the nature of your post, I still had an angriness surplus from the first part. :mad:

Can you imagine how amazing it would be in Suarez could finish chances regularly with the quality of the goals at Norwich, would easily be one of the best in the world and would propel us up much quicker than anticipated.

Suarez only 25 yrs old remember, doubt he has hit his peak yet. Could be wrong of course. Was that 49 goals in a season a flash in the pan? Or a glimpse of what he can achieve as a player?

No doubt after 1 season of doing " the business " for us he will end up leaving us for a huge fee.

If there's one thing I'm massively hopeful for with FSG it's that they'll recognise that selling our best players, even for huge fees, is counter productive.

In reality we would all like to keep our assets, FSG stated ages ago they wanted to sign young players with a resale value, that to me sounds like they would be willing to listen to offers of high value..

Maybe, but that would also offer some insurance against losing someone we've bought and developed and then lost for pennies. I guess it depends on the player and the circumstances, but I wouldn't want us losing the likes of Suarez, Lucas or Agger unless they really wanted to go, rather than us being financially compelled to sell.

Maybe, but that would also offer some insurance against losing someone we've bought and developed and then lost for pennies. I guess it depends on the player and the circumstances, but I wouldn't want us losing the likes of Suarez, Lucas or Agger unless they really wanted to go, rather than us being financially compelled to sell.

It was reported in the summer that if Man City went above the 25-million mark Liverpool would of sold Agger!? not sure how true that was, Rodgers did say every player had his price..

Our best players signed new contracts in the summer, i cant see anyone leaving just yet, maybe Downing this jan?

It's probably already been mentioned but Sterling also apparently due to sign a new 30k a week contract too. Would be interesting to see how that affects his maintenance payments...

Doubt it. I read an interview from Rodgers, on the Liverpool website, not that long ago, anyway Rodgers was saying about clubs paying youngsters stupid money and then them going on to fail.

Archived