Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

Gutted. Absolutely gutted.

Have to sort out the defending.

I'm sure it will be the same "didn't deserve to lose that" comments but at the end of the day there is only so long people can keep saying that before realising that we did/do actually deserve to lose because we're absolutely awful defensively.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First half was fantastic. Asleep at the beginning of the second half and lost a quick goal, and it took us about 25 mins to finally respond, by which time we'd conceded another two.

Henderson, Downing, Robinson, Coates (own goal aside) all positives tonight. Assaidi was pretty quiet, his worst game for us so far. Borini makes intelligent runs when played through the middle, but once the ball finds his feet he's clueless. And please, no more Carragher. Do the right thing and retire.

didnt deserve that, bin thinking would it be such a crazy idea for rodgers to strengthen the defence this january instead of attack?!

a new left back and a new CB is sorely needed. it would encouirage us to utilise players like sterling and suso and would sure up our absolutely terrible defence.

didnt deserve that, bin thinking would it be such a crazy idea for rodgers to strengthen the defence this january instead of attack?!

a new left back and a new CB is sorely needed. it would encouirage us to utilise players like sterling and suso and would sure up our absolutely terrible defence.

i dunno, an injury to Suarez is far worse for us currently than an injury to Skrtel or Agger. ST then CB is prob best.

I really don't feel we need a new cb personally, Agger, skrtel Coates, Wisdom, Kelly and unlikely but Wilson that's 5 options realistically without Carra. yes Kelly and wisdom haven't played in the first team there but at some point one of them will.

A left back possibly, Robinson doesn't seem quite ready yet and Enrique is awful.

Surprising more than anything. Played well, but two of their goals just couldnt be helped at all. Their goal which levelled things you could look at Johnson, but was still a cracking finish.

i dunno, an injury to Suarez is far worse for us currently than an injury to Skrtel or Agger. ST then CB is prob best.[/quote

sure but i'd rather draw 0-0 than lose 3-2. individual mistakes are costing us big time lately. its the little things that make such a big difference. skrtels brainfart v man city, coates too cumbersome and carra past it, a top quality cb would do us the world of good but when we keep shooting ourselves in the foot surely its time to rectify the situation.

dking is right, skrtel is not good enough for this style of play and we have no left back capable to carry out our game plan, i must say i'd be happier with these 2 positions strengthened in jan than our attacking line up.

Robinson was great tonight I thought. Shelvey had a boss 1st half but faded badly in the 2nd. Allen gave the ball away a lot, Carragher terrible again and really should be in his final season now. Coates so good in the tackle but no idea what he was doing when that free kick came in. That's all I can think of atm, obviously another stupid defeat. Can't help but think we'd look so much better with Lucas holding everything down.

i'd rather win 3-2 and lose 3-2 than draw 2 matches 0-0.

do wonder how much better Coates would look alongside Agger.

im not convinced, is he better than skrtel?? too slow imo and a solid defence is something to build on. it means a goal or 2 would be enough rather than chancing to luck. our luck has been atrocious and while im a great advocate of making your own luck, its hard to deny our luck has been non existent for the last year.

I really don't feel we need a new cb personally, Agger, skrtel Coates, Wisdom, Kelly and unlikely but Wilson that's 5 options realistically without Carra. yes Kelly and wisdom haven't played in the first team there but at some point one of them will.

A left back possibly, Robinson doesn't seem quite ready yet and Enrique is awful.

Enrique's problem is not that he is a bad player, I think he would be great if he played for say Fat Sam or Pulis.....and that's the problem here

it seams like my speculations at the start of the season will turn out to be true, Brendan do not think Enrique's passing ability is up to scratch

Kept possession well first half but no urgency, created more and played with more purpose when 3 1 down. Give it time results will come, Gerrard was poor when he came on as was Borini downing did ok at times.

Thought Johnson was poor tonight. Could have helped prevent 2 of their goals imo. Great tracking back from Borini but what a stupid tackle to attempt when there was no need for it at all. ( their 2nd goal )

Coates looks a bit out of sorts when beside Carragher tbh, not really his fault having a past it scouser shouting things at him. He still looked quite impressive bar his og. Made a few great blocks tbh and it must be hard to play along side someone who you haven't had much playing time together. Was also great to see Pepe make that save from the free-kick in the first half, something he used to be able to do whenever it was required but has been missing. Clean sheet with a save like that would have done him the world of good.

Think we were unlucky but we really need to get 1/2 ahead and kill the game off quicker to prevent this from happening. Only ourselves to blame but I think we can all agree that some sort of progress as been made and it will take time for it all to click. I for one am positive and I'm actually not that bothered by the result tonight. Maybe that's not a good thing but I can see the bigger picture and accept its time that's needed.

I really hope Shelvey can keep progressing at the rate he is as he looks like a terrific player in the making. Henderson done quite well also and I can see a huge difference in him already over his last season. Downing needs to get a grip and play like he did in the 1st half every single second of every game he plays from now till January to warrant staying. Pisses me off so much sometimes.

It wasn't violent at all, just a very blatant professional foul. Probably less likely to cause injury than taking Downing's legs from beneath him.
its still debatable if it was clear goalscoring opportunity thought

under which of these?

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the

following seven offences:

• serious foul play

• violent conduct

• spitting at an opponent or any other person

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity

by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within

his own penalty area)

• denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving

towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a

penalty kick

• using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

• receiving a second caution in the same match

i think most people wouldn't see what happened there as serious foul play or violent conduct

Are the defenders really rubbish or is it the lack of a Lucas/Masch in front of them which is costing us?

It's so frustrating to see such great football going forward which seems to be improving every match, only to see the shambolic defending costing us points yet again.

Gerrard really needs to stop misplacing 10 yard passes in phases of play where people have committed and are either ahead of the ball or in a position where one pass can bypass them.

Criminally sloppy for the third goal.

He's been doing it all his career so he won't stop now. It's the price you pay for his creativity and dynamism. The tactics need to be able to 'manage' the risk of a misplaced pass by ensuring their is defensive cover.

Archived