Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some phone in shows and a few on the lfc forum. People forget dalglish only won 3 of his last 12 games but these pro dalglish fans still insist dalglish was close to brining us back challenging for the title and how we only finished so low in the table because of the woodwork :(

People want Rodgers out? The only thing that worries me about Rodgers or Liverpool at the moment is the fact we are poor at defending currently, I have said before i think Rodgers needs to try and grind results out in selective games as apposed to try and pass teams off the pitch. Arsenal have been guilty in recent years of trying to over pass and score the perfect goals..

The other point is Suarez is our main man to score the goals but he does waste alot of good chances, we need more players to chip in on a regular basis, other than that i think we look better with every game..

needs to try and grind results out in selective games as apposed to try and pass teams off the pitch.

I've often wondered what this mythical "try and grind results out" means. Does it mean we should be lumping the ball up to the centre-forward ala Hodgson? If so, you can have that rubbish, thanks. Ridiculous that anyone suggests the team should drastically change it's style of play. Possession IS the best defence, bar none. I'll take passing it around the pitch all day long, thanks. Don't ever remember a team scoring without the ball.

I've often wondered what this mythical "try and grind results out" means. Does it mean we should be lumping the ball up to the centre-forward ala Hodgson? If so, you can have that rubbish, thanks. Ridiculous that anyone suggests the team should drastically change it's style of play. Possession IS the best defence, bar none. I'll take passing it around the pitch all day long, thanks. Don't ever remember a team scoring without the ball.

Well I remember alot of people and pundits say that Benitez at times was to cautious in the way he set his team up, Instead of pushing say 7 players into attacking phases the alternative is to maybe use 5..

Like someone said, We do seem to push high up which can leave us vulnerable, maybe we are making individual errors? Alan Hansen oftern says that you set a team up to be solid..

I can also remember the Keegan Era, he was all attack and played good football to watch but at times lacked tactically etc..

Can you really sort defensive mistakes out by attacking and trying to pass teams off the park? maybe if you was playing against inferior players. I think this season we are going to see a record no of goals scored in the Prem which will ultimately mean poor defensive records for most teams..

We dominated so many games last season and still lost alot of games conceding to many goals..

Clip of Rodgers: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4574354/Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool-must-stop-conceding-goals.html

I'm still not really sure you have a clue about the tactical side of it but prefer to use "passing teams of the park" and other horrid cliches to make some stupid point only you can see. Keeping possession and passing the ball around to retain possession is not a defensively naive tactic. It's the very opposite.

e: Jesus I should have known to not bother replying when I saw three things: "pundits", "Alan Hansen says" and you linking to a completely out of context video (I assume, but even I'm not going to click that link).

The defensive problems will go away over time, once the players get used to the new system. In the past, a defender under a bit of pressure would just lump it forward but under the new system Rodgers wants them to keep possession by finding a short pass. Some of these have been poor because players are not making great decisions but over time they will learn to make better decisions and other players will be in better positions to receive passes and help the guy out. It's just a case of learning from mistakes.

I'm still not really sure you have a clue about the tactical side of it but prefer to use "passing teams of the park" and other horrid cliches to make some stupid point only you can see. Keeping possession and passing the ball around to retain possession is not a defensively naive tactic. It's the very opposite.

e: Jesus I should have known to not bother replying when I saw three things: "pundits", "Alan Hansen says" and you linking to a completely out of context video (I assume, but even I'm not going to click that link).

When you havn't got the best players for the respective leagues you can't expect to pass every team off the park and win.. You seem to be very narrow minded! there are **** loads of teams that try and play football but you need to have the right players, or (better players)

Downing has a point though. Rodgers should keep that stuff out the press. There's no need for it.

i agree, if any of us where in that situation we'd be feeling a little pissed off too.

maybe rodgers used it as a kick up the backside and hoped for a big response. either way its forced the issue with enrique and downing and now its sink or swim time.

With regards to wayne and Divinity's discussion/argument above I read this on Rawk the other day which hits nail on head for me. I could chop and change it and claim it as my own, but I'm too lazy basically:

You know what?

I'm really enjoying this season. The change in style over Rodgers' first 10 games or so has been incredible.

It's tough to change a whole playing philosophy at once. Most coaches start with tightening up the defence. Houllier did it, but never really had the creative plan to implement in the final third. Rafa did it, and we were very hard to beat, but his attacking ideas revolved too heavily around Torres and Gerrard - if a team stopped one or both of them, they generally stopped the whole team. Hodgson... well... he wanted to defend. He really, really wanted to defend. He wanted all the players to defend. And then a few more of them. And then maybe the forwards could help out too, until the entire team was camped around our own penalty area for 90 minutes at a time. Thankfully, we never got the 'opportunity' to see if a Roy Hodgson team could actually attack.

When Kenny came back, from January until May we played some very good attacking football at times, using intelligent players to get around and ahead of the ball in the final third. Last season, however, it didn't look like we had a gameplan at all. Kenny struggled to kick on from his placebo-effect start, and the previously-seen attacking masterclasses were pretty soon a distant memory.

I like the way Rodgers is going about things. He's chosing technical development and the long-term tactical vision over instant results. It's brave. We need to stick by him.

For every 5-2 win, there'll be a 3-2 defeat. Only when Rodgers is happy with our ball retention, movement, and creativity levels in the final third, will he shift the focus of his tactical sessions to the defensive side of the game.

As of now, he's relying on his defenders to shut up shop as best they can, whilst he builds extensions to the flanks and leaves gaps where, in the future, shuttable doors will be.

I'll happily take that over watching yet another Premier League manager move clubs and change their philosophy in order to grind out results.

It is a results-based game, but the fact of the matter is that we haven't won the league for two decades and I'd much rather see us play with an attacking flair and a smile on our faces, than sitting back and playing for a 1-0 win, and still not winning the league.

More of the same please, gaffer.

He let his contract run down and they just bailed. We had to sell him on the cheap.

Ah right, couldn't remember if you really, really wanted him to stay or sort of happy to let it run down? Or, wanted to sell him earlier but he didn't go? (don't remember that tbh)

Owen and his comments in recent years definitely come across as the 'football is a job/business' type guy but that may be his justifications for joining United but he's always been a little like that

i agree, if any of us where in that situation we'd be feeling a little pissed off too.

maybe rodgers used it as a kick up the backside and hoped for a big response. either way its forced the issue with enrique and downing and now its sink or swim time.

Maybe BR just does things the way he wants it and doesn't give a toss about upsetting crap, over rated, and overpaid players who shouldn't be at the club. Not a problem for me. And Downing should keep his mouth shut and do his talking on the pitch, not questioning the manager, publicly, for calling him out for a lack of commitment, which he's quite clearly lacked since signing for us. It's one thing being **** at what you're supposedly good at, but not being committed, or being lazy on top of that is unforgivable.

It's all going to work out well anyway as it's just another nail in Downings coffin. He's a waste of space and there is no way I'll ever take his side over the managers as the manager has done nothing but speak the truth.

With regards to wayne and Divinity's discussion/argument above I read this on Rawk the other day which hits nail on head for me. I could chop and change it and claim it as my own, but I'm too lazy basically:

that's a great quote you posted there.

First 20 mins was a bit rubbish. We seemed to resort to hitting as many long balls as they did. Finally started getting into a bit of a rhythm and have caused them a few problems since. Suarez needs more support though, other than Suso - who has looked pretty lively - theres nothing around him.

Sterling's not been great, seems a bit too lightweight against a team like Stoke atm. Trying to put himself about though, which is good to see.

Archived