Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

11 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Can someone please give me an opinion? I'd really appreciate.

1 - Depending on how you play then yes. You either want to work from the back or launch it forward quick. I don't believe you should use play out of defence if you use a BPD or have a defender who launches it forward quickly.

2 - Again it depends. Moving into channels is fine but who then spearheads the attack? You have to watch games and to see if having both players move into the channels actually helps or is an hindrance as you have no-one in the box etc.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Cleon thanks!

I see. So let's say that I want most of my attacks building from the back but sometimes I want my BDP and my DMC who is a DLP to launch quick and through balls when they see the chance; if I use play out from defence TI but having those 2 players to learn tries long range passes and/or tries killer ball often PPM, they'd still do them? Obviously depending on their attributes and situations.

Just now, mikcheck said:

@Cleon thanks!

I see. So let's say that I want most of my attacks building from the back but sometimes I want my BDP and my DMC who is a DLP to launch quick and through balls when they see the chance; if I use play out from defence TI but having those 2 players to learn tries long range passes and/or tries killer ball often PPM, they'd still do them? Obviously depending on their attributes and situations.

A BPD tries those kind of balls all the time, it's part of his role if you look at his settings. And yes with that PPM's they'd also do it frequently, probably more often that you actually want.

50 minutes ago, Cleon said:

A BPD tries those kind of balls all the time, it's part of his role if you look at his settings. And yes with that PPM's they'd also do it frequently, probably more often that you actually want.

Thanks once again.

I've talked about learning those PPM's because as far as I know, TI overrides PI, but PPM are always used no matter what, right? So what I'm thinking is that a BDP or a DLP in a DMC position wont try that as much because of that TI.

But maybe I'm just overcomplicating the simple stuff :D

How do you guys plan and manage your team when playing in a league with short gaps between games?

I'm playing in Finland and for the first half of the season there are games between 3/4 apart. About 15-16 of them. I was thinking about the best way of managing my squad whilst still being competitive but I imagine the best thing to do is to have, in effect, two squads. Quick rotation where needed. But, what steps can I take behind the scenes to improve my teams fitness and to ensure I get the best out of my players and I can play the best players more often?

I'm going to aim to have two squads and then rotate between them but want my best players obviously playing more often.

On 12/11/2017 at 18:36, vara said:

what determines a second or third player closing down the same man?

decisions? team work?

on numerous occasions i have more than 1 player close down the same opponent leaving another unmarked. this seems to occur regardless of how aggressive i have the TI and PI set.

I like using structured and very structured as a team shape. I like how it limits the creative freedom and makes the team more disciplined. If I use a tactic that uses a single playermaker role and the other roles are generic roles, how feasible is this long term?

I'm worried that if he can't make an impact on the game because he's marked, can't find space or generally having of game; I'll struggle to have a creative input.

Basically, do I need more than one playermaker in my tactic when using either a structured or very structured team shape?

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 09:10, Luizinho said:

I like using structured and very structured as a team shape. I like how it limits the creative freedom and makes the team more disciplined. If I use a tactic that uses a single playermaker role and the other roles are generic roles, how feasible is this long term?

I'm worried that if he can't make an impact on the game because he's marked, can't find space or generally having of game; I'll struggle to have a creative input.

Basically, do I need more than one playermaker in my tactic when using either a structured or very structured team shape?

The amount of CF with the shapes is incremental, so while there can be a noticeable difference if you go from Very Structured and Very Fluid, it isn't a great gulf. If you have a playmaker getting marked out of the game you have a couple of options (I like to funnel my plays through specific players as well): add another playmaker is one way to do it, and (and perhaps change your original guy to a "normal" role), move your playmaker around if he's being marked specifically by an opposition player, sub him out if it might be a bad day for him and not what the opponent is doing. Stop using a playmaker at all.  You can set any player with PI's of "more direct passing" and "more risky passes" to make them a playmaker, just without the ball magnet happening, and you will get someone who will do creative things.

In short, you don't need a second playmaker in a structured system, you just need to adapt to the circumstances as they are happening.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 15:02, Peter G said:

How do you guys plan and manage your team when playing in a league with short gaps between games?

I'm playing in Finland and for the first half of the season there are games between 3/4 apart. About 15-16 of them. I was thinking about the best way of managing my squad whilst still being competitive but I imagine the best thing to do is to have, in effect, two squads. Quick rotation where needed. But, what steps can I take behind the scenes to improve my teams fitness and to ensure I get the best out of my players and I can play the best players more often?

I'm going to aim to have two squads and then rotate between them but want my best players obviously playing more often.

Best answer outside of heavy rotation is to sign players with high stamina and nat fitness if you can. I tend to always look for a high natural fitness for signings. Critical players if it is possible, I like to sub out early -55-60 mins- sometimes if I have another game coming up that I need him fresh for and the game situation allows for it. Lots of times you just roll a tired squad, it's part of football, and hope you don't get a rash of injuries :D

Can someone explain how the "attempts to train weaker foot" trait works? Is it a long term process that will see their other foot slowly improve? I thought that once they'd learned the trait their other foot would be better but that doesn't seem to be the case. Trying to retrain a RB to LB and a ST to ML

Edited by Britrock

1 hour ago, Britrock said:

Can someone explain how the "attempts to train weaker foot" trait works? Is it a long term process that will see their other foot slowly improve? I thought that once they'd learned the trait their other foot would be better but that doesn't seem to be the case. Trying to retrain a RB to LB and a ST to ML

Attempts to train weaker foot doesn't actually develop the weaker foot at all.  It gives a player the ability to start being able to develop the weaker foot.  Only once they're successfully learned the PPM will their weaker foot actually start to develop.

But there are limits.  Once they get their weaker foot above a certain level it won't develop any more.  And it's pointless giving players the trait that are already fairly proficient with both feet as they're already above the level.

I'll also add that developing the weaker foot will form part of the current ability calculation, so if the player is already at their full ability either weaker foot development will stall, or some other attribute will have to reduce to compensate.

Hi there,

One question.

Looking to sign a DLP for my team and my Chief of Scouts has Scouting Ability at 10 and Scouting Potential Ability at 10 to.

Will he always see the players Potential Ability less than it really is ? ie Pot Abil is 10 he sees the DLP as a  potential 4 Star Player,if he had Pot Scouting Abil of 20 he`d see him as a 5 Star Player, potentialy?

Thanks

5 hours ago, Dr. Hook said:

The amount of CF with the shapes is incremental, so while there can be a noticeable difference if you go from Very Structured and Very Fluid, it isn't a great gulf. If you have a playmaker getting marked out of the game you have a couple of options (I like to funnel my plays through specific players as well): add another playmaker is one way to do it, and (and perhaps change your original guy to a "normal" role), move your playmaker around if he's being marked specifically by an opposition player, sub him out if it might be a bad day for him and not what the opponent is doing. Stop using a playmaker at all.  You can set any player with PI's of "more direct passing" and "more risky passes" to make them a playmaker, just without the ball magnet happening, and you will get someone who will do creative things.

In short, you don't need a second playmaker in a structured system, you just need to adapt to the circumstances as they are happening.

Thanks for the reply.

Just also wanted to ask a follow up question, as I haven’t played FM for a couple of years and I’m just testing the DEMO atm.

Tried to get a defensive, counter-attacking system going with West Brom. Opted for 4-1-4-1. Obviously when using a structured team shape, my striker was often very isolated. Gave him a DLF-S role and had a B2B and wide-men with Attack duties to try make him less isolated. Really struggled to get any real link-up play and as result my team was very toothless going forward.

I kind of wanted him to preform how Vardy does for the Leicester side. Have team sit deep and utilise my ball-winning midfielders; then launch swift counter attacks. A DLF-S obviously doesn’t offer this and Vardy IRL has a strike partner; but is there a way to this get this work? Is there some fundamentals of getting a deep formation with one striker to counter efficiently?

1 hour ago, Sam Smith2 said:

Hi there,

One question.

Looking to sign a DLP for my team and my Chief of Scouts has Scouting Ability at 10 and Scouting Potential Ability at 10 to.

Will he always see the players Potential Ability less than it really is ? ie Pot Abil is 10 he sees the DLP as a  potential 4 Star Player,if he had Pot Scouting Abil of 20 he`d see him as a 5 Star Player, potentialy?

Thanks

Not "always", he's just a bit less likely to get his reports wrong compared to a scout with better judging attributes.

20 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Not "always", he's just a bit less likely to get his reports wrong compared to a scout with better judging attributes.

Thank you for the quick reply herne,

So he could think the player is better than he really is then ?

So If a scout has 20 for Potential Scouting and sees the DLP as a 5 Star Player,  he will be either spot on with his assesment of the player, or over value him,as he can`t really undervalue him as he already sees him as a 5 Star player.

hope that makes sence. 

3 hours ago, Luizinho said:

Thanks for the reply.

Just also wanted to ask a follow up question, as I haven’t played FM for a couple of years and I’m just testing the DEMO atm.

Tried to get a defensive, counter-attacking system going with West Brom. Opted for 4-1-4-1. Obviously when using a structured team shape, my striker was often very isolated. Gave him a DLF-S role and had a B2B and wide-men with Attack duties to try make him less isolated. Really struggled to get any real link-up play and as result my team was very toothless going forward.

I kind of wanted him to preform how Vardy does for the Leicester side. Have team sit deep and utilise my ball-winning midfielders; then launch swift counter attacks. A DLF-S obviously doesn’t offer this and Vardy IRL has a strike partner; but is there a way to this get this work? Is there some fundamentals of getting a deep formation with one striker to counter efficiently?

To be honest, it's been some time since I went with a single striker and no AMs, so I am probably not the best one to ask in this version- in the past I would look to use the flanks more so the striker can connect with the play, in current FM a wide playmaker could be an option, or using direct passing for the midfielders so they can transition it more quickly. One possibility that comes to mind is to go strikerless (on paper) and use an F9 type of role in the AMC spot. Hopefully someone else can chip in with some ideas about this.

On 12/16/2017 at 14:02, Peter G said:

I've been playing a lot in England where this is an issue as well. I just rest my squad. So if I have a game in 3 days, I'll rest my squad for 2 and they usually get close to full fitness before the next game.

I do think this has knock-on effects for training though, so I usually only do it in lower leagues where it makes no sense to worry about training because most players don't stick around long enough.

On 17/12/2017 at 04:02, Peter G said:

Yeh, 2 squads. I maintain a squad of 21 - one GK and 2 players per outfield position. When I get the inevitable injuries if possible I rest a  player between games to play him twice in a week, or as a last resort bring up a kid from my youth squad. This is with a lower-league youthful team where stamina is low and expecting 2 games a week every week is unreasonable.

Feedback on my tactics would be appreciated. I play as Chievo in Serie A. I am actually doing decently, and sitting 8th after 13 games. I am really good away, and have taken some real beatings at home. I am looking for permanent changes, as well as tweaks to alter the roles and such without compromising my playing style.

I want to play possesion football, focused on keeping my opponents off the ball as much as possible.

I mainly play standard - sometimes control.

Mentality is flexible.

GK - D

WB - D/S

DC - D

DC - D

WB - D/S

DM - S

CM - A

BWM - S

AP - S

DF - S

AF - A

Onky PI is goalkeeper roll out to DC's

TI's: Retain possesion, roam from positions, look for overlap, play out of defence

Quick question:

I've been handed the Dortmund job and they have a great Reumdateur, Kevin Volland. Since RMDs opperate in spaces and exploit them, would it be bad to use a Fluid/Very Shape, right? If I want to play around him I'll either have to use Structured shape, or create that space in a Fluid shape using the roles of the players around him.

Because Structured shapes create more space between the stratas, so there is naturally more space for the RMD to exploit.

A more Fluid shape would compress that shape, make the lines more compact and as a result the RMD would come closer to the rest of the teams, leading to having less space to operate.

Am I wrong? I'm not a know it all guy and it's the first time I want to use this role. Something close to Pep's Bayern comes to mind, which was Structured in shape with more creative freedom and roaming upfront.

Should I create a thread about it, or is this the right place to talk about it? 

24 minutes ago, BillHoudini24 said:

Because Structured shapes create more space between the stratas, so there is naturally more space for the RMD to exploit.

A more Fluid shape would compress that shape, make the lines more compact and as a result the RMD would come closer to the rest of the teams, leading to having less space to operate.

Am I wrong? I'm not a know it all guy and it's the first time I want to use this role. Something close to Pep's Bayern comes to mind, which was Structured in shape with more creative freedom and roaming upfront.

Should I create a thread about it, or is this the right place to talk about it? 

In a way.  Team Shape brings your players roles more or less in line with your chosen mentality.  That's how it makes vertical space more or less compact - it's not just players standing closer to each other.

If you're using a Raumdeuter with a Fluid shape, perhaps he'd have a little more space to run into - either behind the lines if the opposition defence gets pulled out or into the channels.

Either way, it'll have more to do with the player's off the ball and anticipation attributes regardless of which Team Shape you use and the players around him.  Get that right first before worrying about Team Shape.  Personally I've quite happily used a RMD with Very Fluid.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

In a way.  Team Shape brings your players roles more or less in line with your chosen mentality.  That's how it makes vertical space more or less compact - it's not just players standing closer to each other.

If you're using a Raumdeuter with a Fluid shape, perhaps he'd have a little more space to run into - either behind the lines if the opposition defence gets pulled out or into the channels.

Either way, it'll have more to do with the player's off the ball and anticipation attributes regardless of which Team Shape you use and the players around him.  Get that right first before worrying about Team Shape.  Personally I've quite happily used a RMD with Very Fluid.

Thanks a lot for your reply, it made things clearer. I was considering using him in a 4-2-3-1, alongside a Playmaker and a Winger. He definately has the right attributes for the role, I just want to utilise him as much as possible. The contradicting fact is that teams play very deep against me due to reputation, so I'll have to reconsider my approach, since he won't find much space anyway.

I always wonder how Thomas Muller finds spaces to exploit when most teams play with a bus against Bayern.

Hi,

On the right side of my 4123 Wide DM formation i have a combo IF(s)+WB(s).

I want to favor some overlaping movements on that side, but i don't want to use the TI to overlap, because on the left side i have a W(s)+IWB(s) and i don't want to happen on both sides.

So, I instruct my IF(s) to hold up the ball and shoot less, and give my WB(s) the instruction to run wide with ball, stay wider and cross by line.

With these instruction i'm favoring overlapping movements on that side? And, is there anything else i could do (giving a attack duty to my WB is not a option).

Hi, I have a question. 

I hired Mikkel Duelund to be a do-it-all reserve for my midfield. He has good technical stats but is poor on decisions and composure (will make sure to print-screen his profile later).  He has it all to be a good playmaker in all midfielder positions, but he has "plays his way out of trouble". 

How should I interpret this? In his function, does it mean he won't make the killer pass or that whipped cross unless it's 100%? Or will he just pump it forward when under pressure?

I'm trying to make he lose this trait but my coach thinks it's not possible.

28 minutes ago, felipencntst said:

Hi, I have a question. 

I hired Mikkel Duelund to be a do-it-all reserve for my midfield. He has good technical stats but is poor on decisions and composure (will make sure to print-screen his profile later).  He has it all to be a good playmaker in all midfielder positions, but he has "plays his way out of trouble". 

How should I interpret this? In his function, does it mean he won't make the killer pass or that whipped cross unless it's 100%? Or will he just pump it forward when under pressure?

I'm trying to make he lose this trait but my coach thinks it's not possible.

This trait (PPM as it used to be known) means that if he is closed down, tightly marked or pressed he will try to take the ball to a safer place through dribbling or a risky pass before getting rid of it. Without it, he would be more likely to clear it out of bounds or launch a ball to nowhere.

Just out of interest, when a player is on the byline and decides to cut the ball back to an on rushing teammate from deep, which attribute is "mainly" gonna be used? Crossing or Passing + (other attributes I suppose). 

I always thought it should be passing, but could it be both? 

4 hours ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

Silly question... but what overrides what, a team instruction or player instruction?

Neither, they work in tandem.

The way that might help to think of it, team instructions set the overall system, and player instructions tells you how the player acts in the context of that system. For example, if you play with the direct passing TI but set your fullback to pass it short on his PIs, his passing will be shorter than the rest of the team but because the team is told to play direct, he does not always play the shortest pass but has a wider range.

A good way to check this is to see, using the example of the fullback here just to demonstrate, is to set your TI to direct passing and your go to the PI screen and check the passing instruction. Now go change the TI to short passing and see how the passing instruction "slider" has changed. The bar is shorter compared to the direct passing TI on all corresponding player instructions.

55 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

Just out of interest, when a player is on the byline and decides to cut the ball back to an on rushing teammate from deep, which attribute is "mainly" gonna be used? Crossing or Passing + (other attributes I suppose). 

I always thought it should be passing, but could it be both? 

If it's still a cross to a player attacking the box, I assume crossing but I cannot confirm.

There are a bunch of other important attributes though. Vision (the ability to spot the teammate), technique (probably less important on crosses/passes on the ground), decisions to make the right call and possibly teamwork so that he opts for the cross rather than going by himself, anticipation to read the runs.

Passing and crossing determine only how accurate the delivery is. A player with poor passing can make a lot of good passing decisions, but the passes aren't accurate. Same for crosses. So a player with good crossing but bad vision and decisions often makes the wrong call and doesn't see the correct cross, but when he does the cross is relatively accurate and finds the target with a higher probability.

Alright, so I know role & duty questions can be almost impossible, because individual players will perform each role differently, and its impacted by the other players & roles, TIs, etc.... but I'm going to ask anyway. I've been toying with this for a bit and haven't found a combination I really love. Gonna be away from FM for a couple of days over Christmas and I'm sure this will have me scratching my beard in deep contemplation....

So been using a 4-2-3-1 deep-deep. By which I mean 2 DMs and an MC, and the wingers in the MC strata. I've been using it with a fairly low level club where the quality was limited, but I've started a new save with a mid-level Mexican club so the quality is a step up. Using Very Fluid - Standard. Using a high press and high line, so the Team Instructions mostly relate to that. Roles & duties are pretty straight forward - standard GK, standard CDs (closing down less PI), wingbacks (support one side, attack the other), the winger roles depend on the players but generally winger and wide midfielder, with a Complete Forward up top. 

Its the midfield three that I'm trying to find the right combination for. The only role I'm relatively married to is one of the DMs being a Segundo Volante. Loving the role and its why I haven't reverted back to my old familiar 4-1-4-1. Its working pretty well - it defends well enough because there are a lot of players back, it provides decent movement and options in attack, and I do see some nice counters. That midfield trio just isn't clicking quite right. On paper, I like the thought of a CV-A, DM-D and DLP-S for the MC. The MC is a pivot point, the passing fulcrum. The CV is a prime goal threat and gets loads of vertical movement, helped out by the wingers and wingbacks, and the DM provides stability and a constant passing option for the DLP. But those three end up quite bunched at times, too close together both horizontally and vertically. 

Now immediate possible solutions to that would be adjusting the defensive line or the width using TIs, but that alters other elements too. I tried switching the second DM to an Anchor Man, which moved him a bit further back. But the SV and DLP are still often quite close together. They could almost hold hands when defending. I switched the MC to a CM-A, which makes a difference, especially if the SV drops to Support.  That gets the MC more involved in attacks, but at the cost of the CV. I did try a CM-S at one point (not recently) and didn't like the separation. Might need to try that again, just to experiment. Since the current squad is better in quality (partly why I moved up to Very Fluid from Structured), I'm not sure I need the 2nd DM as a DM, let alone as an Anchor Man. I've used him as a DLP before and liked the positioning. But that still leaves finding the right role for the MC. Advanced Playmaker is a role I've rarely got working fully in past FMs and the players I have aren't really true playmakers. Same reason Roaming Playmaker hasn't been tested. They also don't really have the industry to suit Box to Box. I need to test these to really see how they work. 

I am often guilty of using Instant Result for some lesser matches, which often leads to using it for a lot of matches. On this save, I have been watching each match on Comprehensive highlights, as well using 2D so I can better view off the ball movement and positioning. Definitely trying to tweak and test more, even though we haven't made it out of friendlies yet. I've mulled pushing the MC up to an AMC, or pulling him back and using a second SV. Before doing anything so extreme, I'm just curious what people have for suggestions on  the roles & duties for that that midfield three. Open to ideas. Thanks gents. 

How do you manage to beat a 3 strikers formation? I have saved right before a match against a side that use a flat 433 in order to create a system that can counter it and in 17 games I lost everytime. I mainly use a 4123 wide or 4231 wide and experimented with those. They just need to get supplied and they'll get a chance at goal everytime. I tried to mark/close downn the middle 3 with no success. they would still find one striker and from there it's almost everytime a half or clear chance. It's like a cheat tactic.

Edited by Vali184

I have a striker playing as a complete forward in a 4-1-2-2-1 formation.  He is reasonably efficient inside the box but hopeless on a one on one situation.  Attributes are: Finishing 14, First Touch 15, Technique 16, Composure 14, Decisions 12

AM report states a a weakness " can struggle with shooting opportunities on the edge of the  box"

Can anyone throw any light on an attribute that needs attention or specific training that can be given?  Does long shot attribute contribute to this situation?

On 24/12/2017 at 01:24, Bigpapa42 said:

But the SV and DLP are still often quite close together. They could almost hold hands when defending. I switched the MC to a CM-A, which makes a difference, especially if the SV drops to Support.  That gets the MC more involved in attacks, but at the cost of the CV.

I use a 4-2-3-1 with SV also. I had him on attack duty behind an MC on CM(s) and they did get in each others' way. My back-up CM operates better as an AP(s) and if the SV is on support they do seem to have sufficiently separate roles. My 3rd choice CM is best suited as a ball-winner which would probably release the SV to use an attack duty, but he's too poor to experiment with it during the season. Generally, I think, a DM on attack duty with a CM on support duty are likely to crowd each other out.

On 26/12/2017 at 12:11, FrazT said:

I have a striker playing as a complete forward in a 4-1-2-2-1 formation.  He is reasonably efficient inside the box but hopeless on a one on one situation.  Attributes are: Finishing 14, First Touch 15, Technique 16, Composure 14, Decisions 12

AM report states a a weakness " can struggle with shooting opportunities on the edge of the  box"

Can anyone throw any light on an attribute that needs attention or specific training that can be given?  Does long shot attribute contribute to this situation?

I assume it refers to long shots as that's the attribute used outside of the box and I'd class edge of the box just outside.

On 2017-12-05 at 12:27, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

Which attributes go into winning aerial duels? Jumping reach, Strength, Balance and Bravery? Am I correct in assuming Heading only determines how good the player is at directing the ball once the duel is won?

On 2017-12-05 at 19:54, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

What difference does the data analysis facilities level make? Will higher levels provide more detailed data?

Also, how long does a substitute need to be on the pitch to get a match rating now? Doesn't seem like it is 15 minutes on FM18.

I'm still curious about these things! :)

6 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I use a 4-2-3-1 with SV also. I had him on attack duty behind an MC on CM(s) and they did get in each others' way. My back-up CM operates better as an AP(s) and if the SV is on support they do seem to have sufficiently separate roles. My 3rd choice CM is best suited as a ball-winner which would probably release the SV to use an attack duty, but he's too poor to experiment with it during the season. Generally, I think, a DM on attack duty with a CM on support duty are likely to crowd each other out.

Thanks. Nice to know I'm not the only one seeing issues. I've toyed with the MC as an AP a bit, but the friendlies are against low level opposition so not reading too much into it. Think I might end up going with SV-S, DLP-D and then AP-A for the MC spot.

2 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

Thanks. Nice to know I'm not the only one seeing issues. I've toyed with the MC as an AP a bit, but the friendlies are against low level opposition so not reading too much into it. Think I might end up going with SV-S, DLP-D and then AP-A for the MC spot.

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how it goes :thup:

9 hours ago, Cleon said:

I assume it refers to long shots as that's the attribute used outside of the box and I'd class edge of the box just outside.

Thanks- I will work on his long shots attribute, which I have just noticed is only 6!  May well be the answer!

what determines a second or third player closing down the same man?

decisions? team work?

on numerous occasions i have more than 1 player close down the same opponent leaving another unmarked. this seems to occur regardless of how aggressive i have the TI and PI set.

Hello, i need help...my defenders are play like juniors, i started play Swansea for testing my tactics and use this formation:

Mentality : Attacking

Team Shape: Structured

GK: Fewer Risy Passes, distribute to full backs ,distribute quickly

1 CD: nothing , 1BPD stoper: hold posistion

2 FB attack :close more down tackle harder,mark tigher,stay wider,fewer risky passes,cut inside with the ball

1 A defend :close more down,tackle harderpass it shoter,mark tigher

1 BWM def : nothing

1 CM su :shot less often close more down ,tackle harder,get futher foward,more risky passes

1 DLF su :close down more,tackle harder,mark tigher,move into channels,more directs passes

and 2 AF : close down more,tackle harder,mark tigher,fewer risky passes,runwide with ball

Team instruction: pass into space,pump ball into box,run at defense,whipped crosses,look for overlap,play narrower,get stuck in,usse offsides trap,be more discipline,much higher defensife line,higher tempo.prevent short GK

I want play fast good counter attacking football ,dont need possesion, very big problem is with my FB if they lost or dont good passes enemy team counter me. If enemy attacking my FB moves like juniors ,BMW and CM staying and watching then my FB use pressing for midle enemy players. I like win 1-0,2-0 with good defend.

My last games 2-1 vs Chelsea, 2-1 vs Totenham away games win, 3-1 vs Man Utd ,5-5 vs Man City home games and next lose 1-6 vs Hudd, 1-4 vs Stoke then im angry and destroy my laptop lol,im tired ,cant create good defensive counter tactics 4-3-3

If some can help me ! Thanks and sorry for my english.

If you are going to play a counter attacking style, shouldn't you defend abit deeper? You choose an attacking strategy then go on to push your d-line to its max. And all the roles you chose looks like you are trying to outscore your opponent in high scoring games.

Guys, am I right in thinking that higher defensive line makes you more vulnerable down the middle (through balls), while deeper defensive line makes you more vulnerable down the flanks (stretched play, overlaps)?

I know that it also depends on other factors, but I'm just wondering in general.

I’ve read all the threads about watching out for top heavy formations like the 4231, but just one question.. I have been playing around with Liverpool a bit, and come up against Southampton, they played the 4231, why does the ai play that formation so freely if it’s a dodgy system? I only even won when I switched to a flat 451, and played direct passing. It’s so weird cos Southampton set up the way I’d expect Liverpool to set up and I set up the way Southampton might set up.