"The future of football manager" discussion

12 hours ago, (sic) said:

Miles has confirmed that they would act as any other league, meaning you can choose to load women's leagues or not. See my screenshot above on this page.

In current FM we select a country and then the lowest league in that country we want to be playable, so any league above (in the pyramid) is also set to playable. I'm wondering if SI is planning to add the WSL at a similar selection level as the Premier League (I can't imagine they would place the WSL below Vanarama North/South, mainly for the bad optics) or if SI will separate the country selection into something like England - Men and England - Women? Of course they could also design the country/league selection in a way I haven't considered.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm expecting FM 25 to be full of bugs.

The lack of an announcement that Touch is returning to Steam was very disappointing. I'm in my 40s, I have a full time job, and a husband. I've been playing since CM 95/96 and I want to keep playing new versions of FM but the full fat game is like a part time job... 

The women's football bit... meh. 

Having a lady avatar that looks less terrifying would be nice :-) 

12 hours ago, CJWrootFM said:

I hope there is a chance to add and bring back some former teams, I remember harchester utd was a team you can play with in I think 07, be good to get them back and add some other teams like AFC Richmond, I know licensing is a issue but I am sure they would jump to the chance. 

And maybe if one teams folds due to financial problems a phoenix club can come in and you can start from scratch

I'd love the idea of teams disbanding and reforming- or even league structures evolving and changing with time, anything to make the football world of the 2120s appear different from the 2020s- but from what I understand, licensing issues prevent this

4 hours ago, speck said:

In current FM we select a country and then the lowest league in that country we want to be playable, so any league above (in the pyramid) is also set to playable. I'm wondering if SI is planning to add the WSL at a similar selection level as the Premier League (I can't imagine they would place the WSL below Vanarama North/South, mainly for the bad optics) or if SI will separate the country selection into something like England - Men and England - Women? Of course they could also design the country/league selection in a way I haven't considered.

I am pretty sure they are going to be regarded as different leagues as has already been mentioned, like England and Poland would be different leagues

14 hours ago, Matteo3champions said:

Do you think that fm 25 will be available to play with steam deck? There are other games verified to play with deck which are using Unity engine? Thanks. 

Yes like I've said before people are getting worried about the bump up in specs for no reason, there are mobile games that run on Unity Genshin Impact for example  so most people will be fine and as for the steam deck if it can run cyberpunk then I'm pretty sure you will be able to play FM 25 without issues 

9 hours ago, Robocat said:

The lack of an announcement that Touch is returning to Steam was very disappointing. I'm in my 40s, I have a full time job, and a husband. I've been playing since CM 95/96 and I want to keep playing new versions of FM but the full fat game is like a part time job... 

I'm not entirely sure how game pass works but can't you get the game pass version from the Microsoft store and play that on your pc

16 hours ago, (sic) said:

I really don't understand how so many people read the announcement, and came to a conclusion that FM24 is absolutely not gonna be worth buying, and that it's gonna be the same game without any new features...

If you had actually read the article, you'd see that they're going to implement certain features that didn't make it into FM23, and I'm pretty sure they planned ahead for certain new features to be introduced in FM24 (like the save thing). 

They also mentioned animations, which tbf they keep adding each year, but it's always welcome.

By the looks of it, FM24 is going to be much more polished than previous versions on release, and I doubt that there are going to be even less major features than there were for FM23. So if anything, FM23 to 24 will be a bigger step up than FM22 to 23, judging by what we know so far. It's also going to be the last FM of its kind, so it's definitely going to be the best version of the current FM as we know it.

Obviously, there's still a couple of months before we even get any announcements, but I'll definitely be buying the game (even though I'll absolutely criticize it if necessary, and ask why certain stuff isn't in the game, though the FM25 announcement has regained a lot of my "trust", but I'd expect certain stuff to be in FM25 in that case).

I've not participated in spreading said conclusion before, since I was always going to wait for women's football, making the current discussion about FM24 largely irrelevant to me, and I don't want to convince anyone how to spend their money in the first place, but I want to respond because I really can't understand how people can read that announcement and not reach the conclusions you mention.

The problem is one of specifics. The article mentions a lot of those. For FM25. For FM24 it sticks to speaking in slogans. A love letter, a host of improvements, new features. time to finesse said features. The only specific thing mentioned was the save transfer.

Does this matter? It doesn't always.. but it's meaningless. I've not been at these forums for probably over ten years, but I'm sure they used similar language for FM23, which they're now admitting wasn't what they wanted to deliver. It's just all PR-talk without substance. Does that mean it will not be worth buying? No. Is it a reasonable cause for concern? I think so, yes. If they have nothing to say about the game except vague PR-speak and mention of save transfers, I would expect standard fare at best, just more of the same.

Now as someone who didn't miss a single title between CM2 and FM2012, I know that "standard fare" doesn't necessarily mean a negative, especially if FM23 was received less than spectacularly, and as you say, there's still plenty of time for more specific announcements, but this isn't some new phenomenon. I've been disappointed by enough different developers to learn to filter out PR-speak, and when doing that here, there's not much left. They might as well have replaced the FM24 section with "please buy it again yo, oh and there will be save transfer". Can you understand how that leads people to the conclusion that it will not be worth buying?

18 ore fa, (sic) ha scritto:

I really don't understand how so many people read the announcement, and came to a conclusion that FM24 is absolutely not gonna be worth buying, and that it's gonna be the same game without any new features...

Because FM22 was FM21 with a couple small new features and FM23 was FM22 with a couple small (and buggy) new features. Heck player progression is worse in FM23 than in FM21. And since we should learn from the past and not ignore it, it's safe for me to assume to not expect anything out of FM24 other than a couple of new stuff and hopefully a proper bug fixing (will they finally fix player progression and regen's reputation growth next year? We'll know in a few months...).

The core of their focus is FM25 and they aren't even trying to hide it. FM25 probably take so much work due to the rebuilding that they'll probably be super safe with 24 (a couple of features and mostly bug fixing of fm23).

I'll be more than happy to be wrong and see FM24 as a great improvement for the series but i won't hold my breath. And for sure i won't purchase FM24 after the huge disappointment of 23 (i skipped 22 and went directly from 21 to 23 expecting improvements, it was actually the opposite fm21 plays better than 23) unless there are major upgrades (and for major i mean rework of transfer and squad building AI, rework of international management and stuff of this caliber, not certain save transfer and maybe an extra league or two licensed) and for FM25 it will depend on how buggy it will be (i bet it will be a bug infested mess at release)

23 ore fa, bartdude ha scritto:

It's good that we will be able to continue our career into FM2024 but my major concern regarding FM2025 is because it's a major re-write, it's surely inevitable that third party add-ons will come to an end ? It's these add-ons from the FM community that has made FM the immersive experience it has become. With new hard coding in FM2025, this will surely become a challenge too far and without sounding cynical could become a cash cow for Si, who would only released licensed and "official" add-ons and at a cost ?

Not at all. In fact, Unity-based games are much easier to mod, so mods can and will be a thing for FM25 onward pretty much regardless of what SI desires lol

20 ore fa, (sic) ha scritto:

If you had actually read the article, you'd see that they're going to implement certain features that didn't make it into FM23, and I'm pretty sure they planned ahead for certain new features to be introduced in FM24 (like the save thing). 

They also mentioned animations, which tbf they keep adding each year, but it's always welcome.

By the looks of it, FM24 is going to be much more polished than previous versions on release, and I doubt that there are going to be even less major features than there were for FM23. So if anything, FM23 to 24 will be a bigger step up than FM22 to 23, judging by what we know so far. It's also going to be the last FM of its kind, so it's definitely going to be the best version of the current FM as we know it.

Obviously, there's still a couple of months before we even get any announcements, but I'll definitely be buying the game (even though I'll absolutely criticize it if necessary, and ask why certain stuff isn't in the game, though the FM25 announcement has regained a lot of my "trust", but I'd expect certain stuff to be in FM25 in that case).

See, for quite some time now people considering to buy the new FM have been hoping to get things like revamped set pieces, a complete overhaul to International management, and so on. That's what we've been hoping for every single year, not minor QoL stuff that's going to be hit and miss anyway.

This time, however, we know for a fact that FM24 will not present any major overhauls, it will not be a game changer because all the game-changing, massive steps forward are already being worked on for FM25. Aside from a portion - possibly a minor portion - of the new animations (which will not look and feel like they will on Unity anyway), FM24 is going to be yet another iteration of the very same game.

For the first time though, instead of hoping for overhauls and never getting them, we already know we won't get them now and that we will get them later. I'm likely to buy FM24 anyway because I didn't buy 23 and the hype for 25 is going to be killing me slowly if I don't engage with FM somehow lol, but most people will wait and that's ok and SI know about the Osborne effect and planned around it.

Long term player here. What a great article and I would encourage Miles to continue doing this. Very excited for the future. 

- Carrying your game over between FM’s is huge. So many times I stopped creating a new save between August til October because I thought what’s the point with a new FM coming

- I’m hoping FM24 fixes the development of players so by 2035-2040 most squads aren’t all 30+ players. 

- Womens football. Very interested to see where they take this as it will add a new challenge and experience to the game

- FM25 - new graphics and interface. I was hoping this was the future plan and delighted to see it’s almost here 

Edited by Colonel Tigh

1 hour ago, DMaster2 said:

Because FM22 was FM21 with a couple small new features and FM23 was FM22 with a couple small (and buggy) new features.

Both nothing to do with SI's plans for FM24 and FM25. FM24 will be what they wanted FM23 to be, as they've had the extra time to implement bigger headline features than they couldn't give for FM23. FM25 will be a massive leap forward, and FM24 will be the bridge towards it.

2 hours ago, stopazricky said:

This time, however, we know for a fact that FM24 will not present any major overhauls

we don't really know that, they have not yet announced anything that will be in FM24 a part from telling us that we will be able to carry over our saves from FM23

1 ora fa, DarJ ha scritto:

we don't really know that, they have not yet announced anything that will be in FM24 a part from telling us that we will be able to carry over our saves from FM23

We know that, with an engine change coming down the line, it would make zero sense for them to, say, do a complete revamp of set pieces in their old proprietary engine, knowing that it will be painful to port over in FM25. They will make the most polished version ever, but they won't add much because the last thing they want is to artificially increase the workload required to transition into Unity

Edited by stopazricky

One cool thing (for me, at least) about FM adding women’s football: I’ll reunite, in a manner of speaking, with Emma Hayes, currently manager of the Chelsea women’s team. She was the trainer for the boys U-15 team I coached until she took the reins of the Long Island Lady Riders. She was great to work with (although her effectiveness as a trainer was somewhat impaired because several of the guys had the hots for her, including my son).

Edited by gunnerfan

The carry over saves and the potential of the new match engine for 25 is all that does it for me. Just stop screwing with my Japan files when I am running every country and league in the world with the realism and around the globe mod. Thanks.

4 ore fa, Scotty Walds ha scritto:

Both nothing to do with SI's plans for FM24 and FM25. FM24 will be what they wanted FM23 to be, as they've had the extra time to implement bigger headline features than they couldn't give for FM23. FM25 will be a massive leap forward, and FM24 will be the bridge towards it.

Do you seriously trust SI's PR? I don't. Do you remember roughly one year ago how proud they were of FM23, the horrible face Miles posted on twitter that starter a media riot for the graphic issue (and strangely now they announce a graphic update for fm25...). Now we learn that they weren't really proud of what they sold (a defective and buggy product).

I don't trust them one bit on FM24, if and when they release a curated product i may change my mind and, why not, purchase it. Otherwise i plan on skipping it without regrets.

Edited by DMaster2

On 01/07/2023 at 14:12, XaW said:

Based on this from Miles, I'd say it's unlikely modding will be removed.

image.png.190ffa7a87dc750218f0f425f98a3784.png

That said, I don't have any inside info about this, I'm only reading into this tweet.

I didn't say it would be removed, I only questioned how difficult it might be but another has said Unity based games are easy to modify. Let's wait and see.

I'm very excited by the prospect of being able to continue saves across versions. As someone who plays full matches and has very little free time, I'm lucky to get through a season a year these days.

For the past couple of versions, I've used the editor to manually recreate my (lower league generated) players, so that I can continue my save in the new FM version. 

If we are lucky SI will do something like what OOTP does for carry over saves: Where if you missed a year for whatever reason there is a dev file or whatever they call it to download of the previous years that can be used for importing saces between years.

Edited by snarls2000
Grammar

Em 01/07/2023 em 13:07, (sic) disse:

Exactly this, they said FM24 will be the most complete FM in the whole series, people is so obssesed with FM25 already that they failed to see one thing: FM25 can be a total failure in everything besides graphics.

It will be SI first attempt in Unity, maybe they can get it right first hand, or we will only see a good unity FM in FM26/28, we don't know yet, so jumping FM24 can be a bad deal. Remember, changes are always good, but changing can come for the worst too.

7 hours ago, snarls2000 said:

If we are lucky SI will do something like what OOTP does for carry over saves: Where if you missed a year for whatever reason there is a dev file or whatever they call it to download of the previous years that can be used for importing saces between years.

I believe the way they do it (or used to do it at least - I’m a few years out of date) is that you could only update your save from one version of the game to the next but if you wanted to skip a year you could get a free demo of the game for the year you missed, load your save in that to update the file and then load that save file in the new version. A little time consuming but didn’t require purchase of the game every year to work.

Sorry if asked before, but article says you can transfer save from 23 to 24, but has it been asked if older saves are also transfable?

Got save from almost every version that I would like to get back :)

Thanks in advance!

I'd love an option that stops my U21s & U18s manager starting players in pos that that don't play.

"Tick box to ensure players aren't played out of pos unless learning a new pos set by the manager" type of thing.

2 hours ago, Trendar said:

Sorry if asked before, but article says you can transfer save from 23 to 24, but has it been asked if older saves are also transfable?

Got save from almost every version that I would like to get back :)

Thanks in advance!

Only from FM 23 to FM 24 and they plan for transfer from FM 24 to 25

7 hours ago, masno said:

Exactly this, they said FM24 will be the most complete FM in the whole series, people is so obssesed with FM25 already that they failed to see one thing: FM25 can be a total failure in everything besides graphics.

It will be SI first attempt in Unity, maybe they can get it right first hand, or we will only see a good unity FM in FM26/28, we don't know yet, so jumping FM24 can be a bad deal. Remember, changes are always good, but changing can come for the worst too.

My expectation is that FM25 is 90% a lift and shift. Plugging the current match engine and existing modules into the Unity API for a GUI refresh.

9 ore fa, masno ha scritto:

I don't think people is so naive to believe that the final product will be flawless. People is not obsessed but legitimately excited. It's a kind of revolution and it should be more than welcomed and people should be more permissive if things won't work as we all wish.

So basically  Fm24 wont have much evolution due to the focus being on 25, at least there is some honesty about this fact which is good. 

As for FM25 and its new match engine, can you tell me what type of games this new engine runs and therefore can we expect modern graphics from FM25 or just an evolution from the 2005 graphics we have now?

35 minutes ago, TioPatinhax said:

So basically  Fm24 wont have much evolution due to the focus being on 25

Where do you read that? I think there will be a fair amount of change from FM23 (they've admitted it wasn't as a good as it should be) to FM24 (this will be what they wanted FM23 to be, plus some more) - preparing for the big leap to FM25 with the rebuild. I expect FM24 to be a kind of preview of FM25, but still on the current engine.

Save game compatibility is absolutely brilliant! One thing I'd love to see built in a future version of the game, in a similar vein, is the ability to use an older version of the database and start in a prior year, so play FM26 with FM12's database, starting in 2011. 

Won't happen with getting FM12 into 24 and beyond. It's only for 23 starting now lol with OTTP you can carry over your saves but you still need to purchase the latest one to do so. If you wait a year you're screwed.

I hope that SI realizes that FM23 is the best in the Series so far or it would not have such success - a bad game would not attract new players bcs it wents to additional plattforms, it is the qualities that sell there.

Now they sensibly need to identify where the game falls short and that is the more and more superficial stuff, the missing stuff, and the stuff  that is stuck in iterations that make that stuff not usefull for a better part of the playerbase.

Some examples:

That would be the whole interview stuff, that is beyond repetitive but gladly you can offload that workload.

That is National Team management,

That is the german league U23 implementation as Affiliate Clubs that takes away player agency and makes its management a chore (i only know the german leagues situation as i dont play other leagues bcs my motivation is to start a new club in a low league and lead it into the highest Tier and that club nees to be a local club from the region where i live).

To some degree i dont understand why the old games databases were so much faster compared to the a database of the same size in the recent games in regard to access and sorting - in the old games, pre FM20 i guess, sorting was a thing of almost instant result and clicking on a player brought immediatley without any percieveable delay the individual data. Then they changed something and sorting started to take 10 or 20 times the time and there was at times a delay of any seconds until individual data was displayed after cliking on a player when scouting manually. It has imrpoved but with faster CPU and GPU now compared to then it is still more on the leaves you somwhat unsatisfied side of things.

Sorting Staff for their wage expectation is missing, at least i found nothing of it and have so much Staff i can not hire in the search that i simply can not pay bcs their wage expectation exceeds my ability to pay or the limits what i am allowed to pay it is really tiresome to click through 50 guys you can not hire to find the 2 or 3 that expect a wage you can offer (i understand that only is a criteria for clubs of lower standing and does not play a role for the big wiggs in the game).

Longstanding bugs like when i start i often does not save the day1 tactic and i have to do the tactic 2 or even 3 times also when i change a tactic it either has suddenly the old tactic in place and the changed one is gone or when i switch between tactics it has switched back the next time i have access to it after the game processed trhough the days which makes me somwhat uneasy having allways to doubt if the right tactic is applied, i had even in an older FM like Fm19 or 20 the case that i had a dofferent tactic on the inweek screen and on the matchday inmatch tactic screen i had a different tactic - very disturbing and inconvenient.

There is probably more i am so used to navigate around that it comes not yet to mind but yeah - it would be great is this kind of bug could possibly get rid off!

Best regards

Edited by Etebaer

• Administrators

Please use the Off Topic Forum to discuss other games, if you really want. Posting other screengrabs and videos from other games in this thread is just misleading, as well as off topic to the thread. 

Thanks.

15 horas atrás, BJG123 disse:

Save game compatibility is absolutely brilliant! One thing I'd love to see built in a future version of the game, in a similar vein, is the ability to use an older version of the database and start in a prior year, so play FM26 with FM12's database, starting in 2011. 

Is it from FM23 to FM24?

On 02/07/2023 at 19:36, bartdude said:

I didn't say it would be removed, I only questioned how difficult it might be but another has said Unity based games are easy to modify. Let's wait and see.

Cities: Skylines runs on Unity and the modding community basically made that game what it is. I wouldn't worry about it. 

On 02/07/2023 at 19:36, bartdude said:

A couple of things to note.  There will be a period of adjustment. 

1. Existing modders will need to explore what changes have been made and how they can continue to do what they do.  That might ultimately mean some stop entirely, as learning something new might be the something they aren't willing to do.  It will open up the door for new modders, however - either those who are already familiar with Unity, or those who were previously put off by the limitations of the existing system (or those who are completely new to the game and just want to try something out).
  2. As much as an engaged community is vital to a game, development under a new engine/framework shouldn't be limited by trying to accommodate existing modders.  Ensure that modding is still possible, but don't kneecap yourself by trying to maintain continuity with the old system.  People will learn how to mod.  Not all of them (see point 1), but enough will.

On 03/07/2023 at 19:56, NRZ said:

Won't happen with getting FM12 into 24 and beyond. It's only for 23 starting now lol with OTTP you can carry over your saves but you still need to purchase the latest one to do so. If you wait a year you're screwed.

Not true. There is a dev file index that allows you to move from x to y and then y to z if you missed a year or more for whatever reason.

So hopefully SI does the same thing.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's reassuring to hear that the third party FM community will not be shut out when it comes to enhancements and modifications.

On 04/07/2023 at 16:47, GIMN said:

A couple of things to note.  There will be a period of adjustment. 

1. Existing modders will need to explore what changes have been made and how they can continue to do what they do.  That might ultimately mean some stop entirely, as learning something new might be the something they aren't willing to do.  It will open up the door for new modders, however - either those who are already familiar with Unity, or those who were previously put off by the limitations of the existing system (or those who are completely new to the game and just want to try something out).
  2. As much as an engaged community is vital to a game, development under a new engine/framework shouldn't be limited by trying to accommodate existing modders.  Ensure that modding is still possible, but don't kneecap yourself by trying to maintain continuity with the old system.  People will learn how to mod.  Not all of them (see point 1), but enough will.

• SI Staff
On 01/07/2023 at 23:30, Robocat said:

I'm biased but the mobile version of the game sounds tailor made for you and an iPad is quite a nice resolution ... and luggable so you can play on the go ... just saying ;)

I've been pondering a lot lately since fm25 announcement on what exactly it will mean for the game, I hope it's more than just a fresh coat of paint I really hope some fundemental things are changed.

I was reading this today: 

It pretty much sums up my thoughts entirely, the way player development works is too binary and gets boring after a while, there's never any interesting or unique stories that come through, this is pretty much the number one thing i'd like to see with new engine if I had to choose 1.

Another thing i'd like to see with new engine is dynamic competition changes over large periods of times (for games that go to 2060 or w.e)

Basically stuff like minor changes to leagues like maybe reduction of teams in Premier league, or creation of a new league between la liga 1 and 2 (random example) or even new international competitions that could potentially arrise like some random idea of a hispanic cup/league with spainish, portugese and south american clubs, or an anglophone champions league between england, scotland, ireland, usa, canada, australia or w.e 

This is mostly inspired by the new uefa change that happens early in game, it's pretty fun to see, and also inspired by the way brexit rules used to be randomized before it was decided irl, and the countries that can join EU randomly, this could be an option rule before game so everyone is happy whether they wantt to play with random changes or not, Might as well also add some random events and flavor in this vein too, think stuff like "3 random legendary players who played together at club X 10 years ago have purchased and revamped a club in lower league." or "CANZUK trade agreement lets australian, canadian, NZ players enter britain without work permit." random stuff like that.

I'd also like to see more things that can happen in a match, albeit rare and/or requirin a clash of specific personalities or hidden attributes, players fighting, striking a ref, ref making wrong call and not consulting VAR, fans invade pitch in rare circumstance.

Anyway these are just some random ideas that i'd love to see, i'm really hoping this new engine can be the opportunity to overhaul things at the back end because personally I get a little bit disappointed at such small changes each year, lol.

If anyone else has any cool ideas that can be realized with engine change, let's hear them.

I'm somewhat less thrilled at this. FM24 is probably going to be an even worse FM23 (which was the worst FM of the series)

Not overly convinced FM24 will be worth purchasing and I'm confident that bugs won't be looked at (I felt bugs were not taken seriously on this FM fwiw)

15 hours ago, ajw10 said:

I'm somewhat less thrilled at this. FM24 is probably going to be an even worse FM23 (which was the worst FM of the series)

Not overly convinced FM24 will be worth purchasing and I'm confident that bugs won't be looked at (I felt bugs were not taken seriously on this FM fwiw)

Any reasons for your opinion or just negativity for the sake of it?

I can confirm that bugs are looked at as I have been in conversation with SI via private messages to provide further information about the nature of bugs so they can create a fix.
It must also be considered that fixing a problem can cause other issues in a large database like this so they have to test fixes before they are implemented as well.

1 minute ago, Gary James said:

Any reasons for your opinion or just negativity for the sake of it?

I can confirm that bugs are looked at as I have been in conversation with SI via private messages to provide further information about the nature of bugs so they can create a fix.
It must also be considered that fixing a problem can cause other issues in a large database like this so they have to test fixes before they are implemented as well.

Well I have posted a fair bit in the bugs forum and I didn't feel like it was looked into all that much (responses were not particularly prompt either).

I also think it's completely fair to question how much will be fixed in 24 when they were ripping it up for 25 anyway

17 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Well I have posted a fair bit in the bugs forum and I didn't feel like it was looked into all that much (responses were not particularly prompt either).

I also think it's completely fair to question how much will be fixed in 24 when they were ripping it up for 25 anyway

Lets hope bugs are fixed a lot quicker from FM25 onwards, in theory it should be easier with Unity

1 hour ago, ajw10 said:

Yet they've already said that FM24 will be what FM23 should've been (i.e. much better). They've already closed it off regarding features, so it's essentially been in production since last year.

1 hour ago, Scotty Walds said:

Yet they've already said that FM24 will be what FM23 should've been (i.e. much better). They've already closed it off regarding features, so it's essentially been in production since last year.

I'm not going to take their word for it, particularly with how disappointing FM23 is. I have no intention of buying the BETA and that would be the first time in a long time I haven't, I might even wait for a demo. I'm sure I'm not alone in that either.