Match 20: England vs USA - ITV1 7PM GMT live from the Al Bayt Stadium

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

I hate the idea that half time changes mean panic.

You can make changes at half time that are considered and reasoned rather than panic

Absolutely. Something wasn't working with that team. Sometimes you can make small adjustments and send the same 11 out, but other times you're far better taking off an underperforming player and sending someone else on, and this is one of those times imo.

4 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

You can make changes at half time that are considered and reasoned rather than panic

Especially, I’ll add, when you can use 5 subs over 4 breaks in play (if you use half time)

Edited by Mr Adam

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

Absolutely. Something wasn't working with that team. Sometimes you can make small adjustments and send the same 11 out, but other times you're far better taking off an underperforming player and sending someone else on, and this is one of those times imo.

No way Southgate has the bollocks for that.

• Administrators

I don’t know why we play Mount and Sterling. Just getting passed right through. No doubt Saka gets pulled off in the second half before Sterling as well, and he looks like one of the only players capable of doing anything on the pitch. The others are stuck on the bench. 

Still yet to see the fuss over Saka. Scoring a couple against Iran doesn’t change my mind that’s he’s not very good. His passing and positioning are really poor. Seems if he doesn’t get a yard on a defender he can’t do anything. 

You wouldn’t know Mount was playing up until the shot in stoppage time. 

Can someone tell Kane he’s a striker? Bet he’s had more touches in his own half than in the box. 

Bellingham has been the best player on the ball but poor off it

1 minute ago, ginnybob said:

No way Southgate has the bollocks for that.

Oh I know, I'm saying what he should do, not what I think he will. He's definitely "come on lads, play better" and give it 15/20 minutes kinda guy.

2 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Can someone tell Kane he’s a striker? Bet he’s had more touches in his own half than in the box.

Well, if you had a single playmaker, he maybe could.

Both central midfielders and both wingers are players who don't want the ball played in their feet, they're looking for space.

It's just baffling that Southgate uses players with such similar attributes instead of having your best player, Foden, in the match. Even Grealish would help more than Sterling.

He's so out of depth.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Trent for Trippier is another change i'd consider here. The threat is mostly down the right and his extra quality on the ball can make the difference in a game like this. Notwithstanding Trippier has been poor individually as well 

Edited by martynlcfc

6 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

Especially in a group stage game with five subs and a wealth of talent on the bench

-

-

Poor old Mount did get us a token shot on target :D 

1 minute ago, martynlcfc said:

Trent for Trippier is another change it consider here. The threat is mostly down the right and his extra quality on the ball can make the difference in a game like this. Notwithstanding Trippier has been poor individually as well 

I'd wait for the USA to stop attacking us first :D 

• Administrators

I’d bring on anyone for Mount at this point. Even Pope :D Need to get Sterling off because they are not playing in a way that the link between him and Kane will work. Completely ineffective. 

Just now, Mr Adam said:

I think this idea of being “patient” when you’re playing **** is out of date now you can use 5 subs. It’s pretty difficult to “waste” a sub now. 

Imo, they should change the rule.

5 subs, but only 3 allowed in the second half. So you either use two at half time or you lose them.