Match Once - Spain vs Costa Rica - ITV1 4pm GMT live from the Al Thumama Stadium

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Pukey said:

What kind of scores are the top teams gonna rack up when a bunch of even worse teams qualify?

Especially if they go with 3 team groups and two good teams draw.

Just now, PMLF said:

If everything goes according to plan, Brazil will play against Spain in the quarterfinals. 

You're not going to win tomorrow.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Just now, Mr Adam said:

How did Bennette do? did he even get the ball?

surprised to see him start when he hasn’t really played for us yet other than a few cameos 

He was perhaps their best player but didn’t really do anything. Outnumbered nearly every time he received the ball with no support. 

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

What kind of scores are the top teams gonna rack up when a bunch of even worse teams qualify?

I don’t think there will be much of a drop off with the European countries when you look at the likes of Sweden, Italy, Ukraine, Turkey, etc not qualifying who would be fine, the South American sides like Chile, Colombia etc are good enough to hang, even in Africa I think them only getting 5 slots has always been harsh as the likes of Egypt, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Algeria etc not there this year and wouldn’t be any real drop off from the African sides who did qualify. 

New Zealand having a guaranteed slot could lead to them taking some pastings. Then in Asia and North America the drop off is quite high. The likes of Panama, Jamaica, Honduras etc probably not adding much unless they have a golden generation of talent, but now they’d have to really cock up not to qualify. Asia getting 3 extra slots probably the biggest problem, lot of money in that part of the world so makes sense but not sure what we’re gaining on the pitch when 3 of Qatar, UAE, Uzbekistan or China probably guaranteed to make every World Cup. 

One for the record WC wins table:

9 GOAL WINS
Hungary 10-1 El Salvador (1982 Group Stage)
Hungary 9-0 South Korea (1954 Group Stage)
Yugoslavia 9-0 Zaire (1974 Group Stage)

8 GOAL WINS
Sweden 8-0 Cuba (1938 Quarter Final)
Uruguay 8-0 Bolivia (1950 Group Stage)
Germany 8-0 Saudi Arabia (2002 Group Stage)

7 GOAL WINS
Uruguay 7-0 Scotland (1954 Group Stage)
Turkey 7-0 South Korea (1954 Group Stage)
Poland 7-0 Haiti (1974 Group Stage)
Portugal 7-0 North Korea (2010 Group Stage)
Spain 7-0 Costa Rica (2022 Group Stage)

4 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Tbf that’s more a reflection of what a good goal scoring record that Hierro had for Spain that he scored 29 goals from 89 caps as a defender/DM. 

Pretty sure I remember a time when Hierro was Spain's all-time record scorer, before Raul came along.

16 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Are they though? There's being beaten by a much better team and there's that effort from Costa Rica. They were appalling.

Yeah Costa Rica were by far and away the worst team so far. Utterly awful.

2 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Based on that Germany are in serious trouble and likely need to beat Spain. Would fully expect Japan to turn Costa Rica over.

I could still see Germany grinding out a win over Spain, will be a totally different kind of game to the two today obviously. Then you have a decent chance of Spain, Germany and Japan all finishing on six points.

They all pump Costa Rica, then Japan beat Germany, Germany beat Spain, Spain beat Japan.

Still never had a WC group finish 6-6-6-0 and someone winning two out of three matches but still going home. Could happen here.

Yeah think Germany are going out. 

Based on those two games today from this group you’d expect Japan to beat Costa Rica. Germany could beat Spain of course but less likely than a Spain win/draw. 

Germany have probably FK’d it today. 

Edited by craigcwwe

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

I could still see Germany grinding out a win over Spain, will be a totally different kind of game to the two today obviously. Then you have a decent chance of Spain, Germany and Japan all finishing on six points.

They all pump Costa Rica, then Japan beat Germany, Germany beat Spain, Spain beat Japan.

Still never had a WC group finish 6-6-6-0 and someone winning two out of three matches but still going home. Could happen here.

Never write Germany off. They do have quality. Even last WC they looked like they were screwed in the 2nd game and still pulled it out. Obviously blew it in the 3rd game, mind.

That said, I'm not sure Germany showed they could beat Spain. Reckon a draw.

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I don't know about Spain beating Japan that easily... As we saw today, they're lethal on the counter and Spain has some slow ass defenders...

Yeh I think Germany can get through with a draw against Spain. They'll be relying on Japan getting a result against Spain in the final round - unlikely but not impossible. It's difficult to judge some of these teams that have played bad opposition at the moment.

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

Yeh I think Germany can get through with a draw against Spain. They'll be relying on Japan getting a result against Spain in the final round - unlikely but not impossible. It's difficult to judge some of these teams that have played bad opposition at the moment.

Would need a hefty swing of GD as well though. Possible but are Germany topping the 7 Spain got?