Who do you think will win the 2022 World Cup?

decapitated

Who do you think will win the world cup?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the world cup?

• England
    • Netherlands
    • Senegal
    • Wales
    • Argentina
    • Mexico
    • Poland
    • France
    • Denmark
    • Spain
    • Germany
    • Belgium
    • Croatia
    • Portugal
    • Brazil
    • Serbia
    • Switzerland
    • Uruguay
    • South Korea
    • Someone else

This poll is closed to new votes

I think this is Argentina’s moment, they won Copa América beating Brazil in Brazil, easily beat Italy in the Finalissima, they have a solid and experienced team. And for once in Scaloni they have a good manager too.

33 minutes ago, PMLF said:

I think this is Argentina’s moment, they won Copa América beating Brazil in Brazil, easily beat Italy in the Finalissima, they have a solid and experienced team. And for once in Scaloni they have a good manager too.

Put my bet on yesterday 

Have thought Argentina for a while and not seen anything from anyone else to change that. 

Not got the most talent on paper, but they're a good team that know their roles. They've also got an easier draw than others - you'd take a Holland QF all day long really.

They need Messi to play well but he's been in good form all year

Dunno, I quite fancy Holland this time.  Might finally be their year.

Lucked in with getting Qatar as the seeded team in their group, probably only Wales/USA in the R16 if England don't slip up.  They are unbeaten in 15+ games since the Euros, strolled past Belgium in the Nations League.  Loads of experience at the back.  A lot of their players coming into that tournament sweet spot where they have 50-80 caps.  So lots of international experience but they aren't yet past it.

Just need their strikers to turn up if they are missing Wijnaldum's goals from midfield.

I think Holland lack a bit of talent. Particularly in attack. You need a difference maker. I know I said Argentina don't have the best squad or even XI on paper, but they've still got guys all over the place that can make a difference. I don't really see that with Holland.

I think this tournament is too early for the players most likely to be those candidates. Lang and Gakpo need to kick on a bit, probably move to a better league.

Yeah, they need Gakpo or someone to do a Schillaci... just come in from the fringes and have a massive purple patch and announce themselves.

They've got the kind of start where they could rack up 8-10 goals in the Group Stage though... games probably won't be as tight as many other groups.

National team football will always be different from club football.

Talent doesn't mean much if the system isn't in place to use the talent well.

Argentina being the best example. When they had overwhelming number of great players, they did nothing.

Now they have just enough and with the system in place, they look better than ever.

And there is obviously Messi. He's been on a decline for a couple of years now, but if you ask me, this is the only tournament he's cared about ever since 2018. He knows it's his last chance and I fully expect him to be on top of his game. Now or never. And when he's on top of his games, he's still by far the best player in the world. Also, Lautaro and Di Maria in current system work better with him than any of the previous strikers they had.

France has too many question marks because of injures and winning two in a row just doesn't happen.

Portugal and England should be top4 with Argentina and Brazil, but they've got horrible coaches who can't use the talent they have at their disposal.

Brazil lacks a clinical striker.

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Yeah, they need Gakpo or someone to do a Schillaci... just come in from the fringes and have a massive purple patch and announce themselves.

They've got the kind of start where they could rack up 8-10 goals in the Group Stage though... games probably won't be as tight as many other groups.

Our best forward is easily Memphis Depay who's well on his way to becoming the all time top goalscorer,

edit: Someone like Gakpo or Bergwijn will need to step up, next to the Memphis threat.

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Richarlison has scored 7 in his last 6 national games , Neymar is 5 from 5.  Raphina, Vinicius, Anthony and Gabriel Jesus can all score too. Looks pretty stellar to me really, I'm a bit afraid actually.

Just now, Jeroen Thijssen said:

Richarlison has scored 7 in his last 6 national games , Neymar is 5 from 5.  Raphina, Vinicius, Anthony and Gabriel Jesus can all score too. Looks pretty stellar to me really, I'm a bit afraid actually.

There is Pedro from Flamengo who is having a great season:

Argentina might have a better structure than usual and will be serious candidates, but I've voted Brazil. I think they have the right mix of a functional base of midfield that stabilises everything, and cautious backline, and then pure YOLO attack.

Bit surprised there's zero votes for Spain, they might not have the 2008-2010 team, not at all, they are inconsistent, but they were also very close to winning the Euros and have a Champions League winning manager. I can see them making the semi-finals and from there, who knows. Same applies to Germany with Flick as manager, although I rate Spain slightly higher they seem slightly more coherent. Both are being too easily discounted, sure they are not what they were but they are still a force.

France have the most total talent but the dressing room seems a shambles, and looking at recent lineups, doesn't look balanced at all? They seem to be playing 3-4-3 but that relies on the wingbacks.. who are Ferland Mendy (okay, he's good) and Pavard ehhhh at wingback? With Pogba and Kante injured, base of midfield seems to be Tchouameni-Camavinga, hugely talented but are they ready? Recent results are all bad. Lots of talent but too many play in the same positions so you can't really put all of them on the pitch. I dunno, I'm not feeling it.

Both my side (Portugal) and the team from most of the people reading/writing here (England) suffer from the same issue which is an overly cautious manager who has been there for years and is starting to tire people out. On paper both squads are excellent but I can't see either making it, we are starting to be hindered by The Ronaldo Question, and England hindered by perhaps the squad selection choices making more sense if this was 2 years ago and not now. I can see England winging it more than us, but idk not feeling it neither.

Netherlands with Van Gaal will be fun but, nah there's not enough there; and Belgium, also nah Kevin de Bruyne is amazing but most of the rest are a little past it.

I'm thinking like 3 out of 4 semi-finalists to come out of the Brazil / Argentina / Germany / Spain group and then one slight surprise. Like maybe idk Serbia, or Denmark.

Edited by noikeee

Luis Enrique is doing great with Spain but they remind me of Italy with their struggle to score goals. No real outstanding attacker. They averaged 70+% possession in the Nations League and looked a bit laboured at times. And they've not got very good defenders to keep teams out. Rely on that 25% possession to the opposition not being particularly dangerous 

I think with it all being of a weird build up and an odd time of year I think it'll be somebody completely random and a lot of the big teams will flounder. I'm going to go Switzerland or Denmark.

It'd be nice to see Messi finally win it though.

• 1 month later...
On 04/11/2022 at 12:26, PMLF said:

As expected, Argentina won. :thup:

On 04/11/2022 at 20:20, GunmaN1905 said:

National team football will always be different from club football.

Talent doesn't mean much if the system isn't in place to use the talent well.

Argentina being the best example. When they had overwhelming number of great players, they did nothing.

Now they have just enough and with the system in place, they look better than ever.

And there is obviously Messi. He's been on a decline for a couple of years now, but if you ask me, this is the only tournament he's cared about ever since 2018. He knows it's his last chance and I fully expect him to be on top of his game. Now or never. And when he's on top of his games, he's still by far the best player in the world. Also, Lautaro and Di Maria in current system work better with him than any of the previous strikers they had.

France has too many question marks because of injures and winning two in a row just doesn't happen.

Portugal and England should be top4 with Argentina and Brazil, but they've got horrible coaches who can't use the talent they have at their disposal.

Top tier football knowledge here.

On 05/11/2022 at 17:19, Weezer said:

I think with it all being of a weird build up and an odd time of year I think it'll be somebody completely random and a lot of the big teams will flounder. I'm going to go Switzerland or Denmark.

It'd be nice to see Messi finally win it though.

Denmark ffs. :mad:

On 18/12/2022 at 23:44, GunmaN1905 said:

Top tier football knowledge here.

good apart from lautaro who randomly decided to revert to the standard of the last decade of argentine strikers when they have messi creating for them eg bottlers

must have had enough chances to win golden boot himself ffs :D