Match 39: Netherlands vs Czech Republic - 5pm (BST) ITV1 live from Budapest !

Coulthard's Jaw

ROAD TO THE LAST 16:

Netherlands started with a 5 goal thriller against Ukraine. They followed this up with a 2-0 win over Austria that looks even better after last night. Finally they beat North Macedonia 3-0 in an easy win. 

The Czech's had a 2-0 win over Scotland that contained a wonder goal from the halfway line, but I didn't think they looked that good. Their second game was a forgettable 1-1 draw with Croatia, and they ended the group stages with a 1-0 loss to England which I actually think was their best showing so far.

Netherlands favourites for this but might be quite a close game.

LAST TIME...

The last time the Netherlands played in the knockout stages of a Euros was in 2008 when they got dumped out of the tournament by an inspired Russia.

The last time the Czech's played in the knockout stages was in 2012 when they got knocked out in the quarter finals by Portugal.

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Marius_R said:

Advocaat replacing Robben for Bosvelt when 2-1 up should've been a sackable offence. :lol:

'The substitution' (de wissel) is a term every dutch football lover knows as referring to this particular incident ^^ At the time, Dutch legend Willem van Hanegem basically said Dick Advocaat should be beat up over it :D 

I do agree with the fact that this is the best loss ever and a brilliant game, but the whole mindset of 'we'd rather lose with good football' has gone from Dutch football. Largely thanks to Bert van Marwijk (2010) and Louis van Gaal (2014), who went full 'realistic', Dutch football is now also about winning by any means necessary. 

Today will be nothing like that game. We no longer have a player like Robben, the Czechs have no Nedved. 

Robben completely destroyed Grygera that game though. 

That Czech Republic team was quite something, won their group with maximum points, then smashed Denmark 3-0 in the QFs, only to lose to Greece in the semifinals. :(

We got drawn vs them in the following qualifiers (for the 2006 World Cup) and finished just 1 point behind them, lost 1-0 in Czech Republic and beat them 2-0 in Constanța in what was Chivu's best game for the national team. I miss the days when our qualifying campaign wasn't over after 5 games. 

Edited by Marius_R

22 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Robben couldn't help Van Bronckhorst stop a high-speed train called Poborský.

Subbing that useless Van der Meijde could have helped.

I simply can't get over De Boer playing De Ligt in the middle and De Vrij on the right.

De Vrij is amazing as the stationary distributor, top notch positioning and cover as the last man.
But he lacks speed and can't make up for it with his positioning if he's left against players with great pace out wide.

On the other hand, De Ligt is such a physical presence and he can cover wide areas way easier. He's also great at taking the ball and making runs, so to me it's just more natural if they switched positions.

Idk, for some reason I'm still not convinced in this Netherlands team, mostly because of FdB.
I want them to go far, seeing all that orange in the streets and the stadium is always amazing.

Czechs are a good team and if Netherlands isn't at 100%, I can see this going their way.

7 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Have ITV forgotten that there is more than one team in this match? I don't think they've given the Czechs much attention at all, and they've been on air for 45 minutes.

It's why I praised the BBC coverage yesterday for acknowledging Denmark (although I am probably guilty of thinking of the Czech team as Soucek, Schick and 8 other outfielders).

I wonder whether they will think the Dutch defence can be got at or if their attack is too scary to risk it, at least the Dutch have Weghorst as an option if it's 0-0 and they have to try something different.

Edited by The_jagster

11 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Have ITV forgotten that there is more than one team in this match? I don't think they've given the Czechs much attention at all, and they've been on air for 45 minutes.

same with german tv ARD

Edited by Carambau

5 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

It's why I praised the BBC coverage yesterday for acknowledging Denmark (although I am probably guilty of thinking of the Czech team as Soucek, Schick and 8 other outfielders).

I wonder whether they will think the Dutch defence can be got at or if their attack is too scary to risk it.

The BBC's build-up to the Wales vs Denmark game was pretty good and fairly balanced. They even interviewed a Danish journalist, which is something which would never happen on ITV.

I'm pretty sure the only things ITV know about this Czech team are that Schick is quite good, and that half his team-mates either play for or have been linked with West Ham.

Edited by CFuller

1 minute ago, TM said:

cross in for The Netherlands and Dumfries is there as usual :D

wonder if he'll be sold after this championship, sure a lot of clubs will be having a look

I'd love to see someone sign him and that former Everton and England U21s left-back who's just been released by Luton.

They'd make the perfect wing-back duo - Dumfries & Galloway. :D

1 minute ago, Freakiie said:

Almost certain that Dumfries will make a transfer, he wants to take the next step and PSV is fine with giving him the opportunity. Only question is where.

I've seen some reports that Inter is in the running alongside some other clubs. Apparently no more than 20m€.

Just now, DJ said:

I bet the PSV fans are rubbing their eyes and wondering if Dumfries has a twin :D 

As far as I can remember, he's had some questionable performances. Maybe one of those players who's way better for NT?

Edited by GunmaN1905

1 minute ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

I’d quite fancy Malen at Arsenal.. :( 

Such a shame Wenger, didn't give him a chance to play :( 

Edited by john1

2 minutes ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

I’d quite fancy Malen at Arsenal.. :( 

I had no idea Malen had been at Arsenal until I started an FM save with them and was informed he had a sell-on clause.

Gnabry would have been handy too….

8 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I've seen some reports that Inter is in the running alongside some other clubs. Apparently no more than 20m€.

As far as I can remember, he's had some questionable performances. Maybe one of those players who's way better for NT?

He plays in a back 5 instead of a back 4 which means his drive forwards doesn't leave him as exposed as it does at times for PSV. Other than that, he plays pretty much the same as he always does, just a lot of Dutch fans that find it necessary to bash anything that doesn't have an Ajax history. :rolleyes: