Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

Good question, @Rikulec. I'm very interested in seeing what others have planned... And which direction you ultimately go.

As for me, I felt like I was hitting a wall with my save, and had planned on wrapping it up before taking a short break and then diving into 18. I'm reinvigorated, though, and am eagerly pressing on with Vikander.  My ideas for 18 focus on Africa, another long-term save.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep changing my mind. 

1st save idea was to manage a lower league French side and in a Youth Only save. The main attractions here were that I had never managed in France and I was keen to have a look at the 2nd Nationalities coming through the intakes in team based on the South coast of France. 

2nd save idea was to do a Youth Only save in England, (which I haven't managed in in a long long LONG time), but managing the club I support, (Barnet), whom I haven't managed for an even longer time. Barnet have excellent facilities, a really good crop of young players, (although the researcher for FM17 needs to be shot), and managing in England would be like managing in a new Country it's been so long since I've managed there.

3rd save idea was inspired a little by @noikeeeI think, without me even realising it. He is playing a youth based save at the moment where he signs 1 player per season, (he calls it cheating), but the way he plays, (best of both Worlds), together with the imminent arrival of a new laptop, has opened up the possibility to me of a save, the type of which I don't think I have ever seen anyone document. A journeyman almost Youth Only career. I haven't quite worked out the specifics of who I will let myself sign, but the idea of having a Manager who applies for jobs saying that he is going to promote the Youth and will refuse to sign high profile players and the like is really appealing. When I was sacked from Regensburg in FMwhateveritwas, (I have almost blocked it from my mind now), it killed the whole issue of FM for me. Getting sacked in a journeyman save where I play as I want to play from the outset with very clear parameters, might even benefit the save as a whole. My goal in Youth based saves is to produce a Ballon d'Or winner and so far I've never done it, nor got that close actually. A new improved laptop to help me through the seasons quicker, plus the ability to start at the bottom but be rewarded for success by moving to a bigger club/nation without completely selling my soul might just be the way forward. At the moment I am thinking of allowing myself to sign 1 player per season, (or possibly window), with maybe relaxing that as the save progresses to also include players who have come through the ranks at clubs I have previously managed.

I suppose what I could do is start off at Barnet in a save of the 3rd type, but I think that's possibly starting too high. Decisions decisions. I know I can't wait though. I just hope that the Barnet researcher has done a better job this year, (I think it's a new researcher).

I'm not sure where I want to manage yet but I do know that I'm going to restrict myself after two of my most successful saves on FM ever were on fm17. So the first save I will perhaps only allow myself to buy players from a certain area or something else that links them thematically and the big save I want to do when the database edits are out will be youth only.

I've just ordered a new laptop. I'll be looking to transfer my Indonesian save from FM13 across and hopefully a better laptop will be able to run the save again :D. I'll most probably be starting as Forest. The longer we're rubbish, the more I want to restore us to glory.

I also need to wipe the 5 laptops I have and see whether there is any resale value in them.

On 10/20/2017 at 15:07, Rikulec said:

So, with the FM18 beta just around the corner, what should we expect from you guys?

I've almost decided to go back to the roots with my save this year, starting unemployed in Iceland and waiting for the story to unfold. The original idea was to do the same in San Marino, but I'm way too excited for the game to wait for the full release and the editor files. :D

I passed on the "contract extension" discount because the "Dynamics" video had me concerned about the likelihood of bugs. But the changes to scouting and tactics look really good. I never got into FM 17 (think I have only 30-some hours on record) but I'm actually kind of excited about this one.

I'll probably still wait until it goes on sale at some point, by which time any bugs likely will have been sorted out. Probably do the usual unemployed/no badges/no rep/journeyman save. Might change up the leagues I load though; usually the squad restrictions some countries have (like "must have two U23 players in the first XI") would put me off until I realized I usually look for those players on free transfer anyway. Might just start with the English-speaking and Spanish-speaking nations because FM gives you fluency in both as an American. :brock:

I'm getting old though, so I may need to create a manager instead of just plugging myself into the game. :D

On 10/20/2017 at 23:07, Rikulec said:

So, with the FM18 beta just around the corner, what should we expect from you guys?

My plan is to create a fictional manager and start unemployed and just see where it takes me, no other plans as I intend to keep my one club save going on FMC15.

On 20/10/2017 at 23:07, Rikulec said:

My first save will be with Cambridge United. Managing as John Beck, recreating his long ball tactics that nearly got us to the Premier League.

I'm undecided thinking of my usual Stafford Game getting them to the Premiership, Might turn it into a Story for here 

Other clubs I'm looking at are Casle (Italy) - won seria A in 1913

At the moment have no idea as yet what could be my Main Save could be 

Think I'm going to do a Beta save for a month and then fly into something else. Just settling on a club for the Beta save will be the key though. 

I do like a bit of Italy but I haven't managed in the American continent since I had a disastrous spell in Mexico on FM11 or so I think.

43 minutes ago, forameuss said:

I'm going to do my now traditional international foray for the beta, and make a return to FMCU after pretty much missing out entirely on FM17.  It'll be absolutely baws no doubt, but we shall see.

Well that's not going to work.  Looks like the old problem with International Journeyman saves is still present.  Even with the top rep and coaching badges, you just can't get a job.  Been turned down for such luminaries as Costa Rica, Nicaragua and...Wales.  Just not cricket.

So my beta save idea is over less than 1 hour after it went live.  Hurrah!

EDIT: England did get pipped to top spot in the group by Scotland though.  Which was nice.

So. 5 games into the beta and I’m 1-1-3

Everything is very up in the air still.

The new UI seems overly complicated and you have to click through three screens to get to the opposition instructions. Plus there is no tone to the sideline shouts 

10 minutes ago, dafuge said:

Are people going to start their careers now or wait for the full release?

Usually I'd make a start now, but I'm a bit dubious after my experience in South America on FM17.

I'm waiting for the full version - mainly because "the fix" needs editor files to be fully working and of course the editor is not yet available

Also some data issues I hope would be fixed.

On a side note as photobucket is out now what are people using for screenshots?

15 minutes ago, dafuge said:

Usually I'd make a start now, but I'm a bit dubious after my experience in South America on FM17.

I'm going to wait until claassen releases his added leagues for South America and then holiday them whilst at work but hopefully I'll also be doing a South American save again. 

8 hours ago, dafuge said:

I'm just looking about at the moment. 

I will probably start a big save tomorrow. 

If it goes boobies up then so be it. Whenever I haven't started straight away with a proper save I have always regretted it. 

8 hours ago, dafuge said:

I’m going to wait til launch tbh

8 hours ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

I'm going to wait until claassen releases his added leagues for South America and then holiday them whilst at work but hopefully I'll also be doing a South American save again. 

I thought Claassen said he was done with releasing additional leagues...

Someone else will eventually make them, though.

11 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Can you promise not to take Kieffer Moore back in January? :( 

Kieffer Moore I find bizarre.

Not very good at League Two level for us (Yeovil) so was released.  Not very good at Conference National level, but amazingly signed by Championship side Ipswich.  Loaned out to League One Rotherham and looks a world beater.  Like I said, just bizarre.

54 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

The wife has just left for work saying "think of me whilst I am hard at work".  She looked confused when I said I am equally hard at work today.

She doesn't doesn't understand the importance of trying to stabilise a struggling Stirling Albion outfit.  :D

I'm surprised she had the gall to interrupt you witch such piffle. She needs to get her priorities straight! :lol:

4 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm surprised she had the gall to interrupt you witch such piffle. She needs to get her priorities straight! :lol:

Fine her a week's wages.  Use that aggressive tone.  That'll get her back on the straight-and-narrow.

:ackter:

Archived