Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Tactically. The UI is awful, but I'm resigned to that.

Yeah there is something a little bit more difficult tactically and I can't put my finger on it although my ability to ruin any striker still hasn't deserted me.

9 minutes ago, Wavelberry said:

Yeah there is something a little bit more difficult tactically and I can't put my finger on it although my ability to ruin any striker still hasn't deserted me.

Cant stop conceding goals from crosses, corners or goalie fumbles into the net. Not one goal has been conceded otherwise this season.

Just now, Deisler26 said:

Cant stop conceding goals from crosses, corners or goalie fumbles into the net. Not one goal has been conceded otherwise this season.

I seem to suffer from corners or, even though I am playing quite deep, a ball straight between my cbs for a one on one.

I'm beyond tired with this beta already. It seems to be forcing me to play 4-3-3 narrow, which I have no conception of how I would want playing it. 

Every one-on-one gets missed, to the point where I mentally tune out if I see a long ball played over the top. 

43 minutes ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

For anyone who's interested, I'm thinking mainly myself and @dafuge, whilst I was at work I ran a holiday save with all of South America loaded, got to June 2040 and all competitions still work, continental and league competitions and all cups. :thup:

That's great to hear :thup:

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

Evening all, after a list of countries what would be good to attempt a youth only save in please?

France is great for youth-only saves, loads of promising youngsters due to many clubs having quality academies.

Of course England is the biggest challenge if you want to go up through 7 tiers using youth only.

19 hours ago, RSJ said:

Evening all, after a list of countries what would be good to attempt a youth only save in please?

What I find good for a Youth Only save is something where the initial ceiling isn't too high, (so that you can dominate easily by going beyond the existing level of domestic club performance), or where there are are a small number of clubs challenging for the title, of which you are one. Add in to that of course that you need facilities and a certain level of "Youth rating" or whatever it is called in the game now and it is really more about individual clubs that are suitable for a Youth only save rather than Countries.

I REALLY enjoyed a Youth Only save in Serbia with Partizan, but I could have just as easily opted for Red Star. You could do other Serbian clubs, but these two are the most suitable. 

Slovakia, Sweden and Czech republic are similar Nations, albeit that I don't know whether they have a domestic rivalry like Partizan/Red Star.

Scotland might not have the Youth levels of a Serbia, but I would think that Celtic would be a good option for a Youth Only save because of their domestic dominance. 

There are of course big European nations such as Spain and France, and Belgium to a lesser degree, where you are able to produce excellent youngsters, but the better the standard of the league, the harder it is to gain domestic dominance, (as I found to my cost in Germany). France could possibly be classed like Serbia in that there is very much a PSG/Monaco rivarly at the top of the domestic ladder, but actually when you think about it, PSG are not suitable at all for a Youth based save, and it would be very hard to topple them with a Youth Only Monaco, (but that would be a good challenge). 

Similarly, Spain is not ideal. Real are not at all suitable as a Youth Only club. Barca might be, but I'm guessing that it would be a tough ask against a free-spending Real. 

Then you get down to the old favourites where this sort of save has flourished. Iceland and Gibraltar are easy in terms of domestic dominance, (whichever club you pick), but it is hard in the extreme to win in Europe from these Nations, (I never managed it). 

The reality is probably that somewhere middle of the road is the answer, (like Serbia). It's possible to dominate domestically if you pick one of the big 2, but they are also big enough that Serbia already produce players of significant quality. 

My biggest piece of advice however is that all it needs to really do is hold your attention. It is going to be a long-term save so first and foremost you have to be interested in the save, (for whatever reason). I personally have an issue with some types of names/language so I think I would really struggle with Greece for example, and I nicknamed every single player in my Iceland save to remove the "son" from the end of their name. 

Good luck. 

19 hours ago, Jellico73 said:

You have to go in and fix the defaults, they are horrible.

J

I moved some Wingbacks up to wingers, chasing a game recently, since I had fullbacks set to stay back, and not wingers..... well, the opposition striker had a free run on goal from his own half. Live and learn. :lol:

7 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

and it would be very hard to topple them with a Youth Only Monaco, (but that would be a good challenge).

Don't they have one of the best academies in the game? I think the trick would be keeping the board on side for a few years while you draw in some intakes, then fire on.

I've nearly completed a whole season on Beta now and I think there is a strong game in there. Dynamics is going to be wobbly first up but I can see how it's gonna work so am not too worried about it (although I have complained about the level of negative language used in feedback when you're at an average level/first at the club). I quite like the scouting improvements and the short-term focus has helped me out a bit.

On the flipside the number of clicks on matchday and to get around is quite an annoyance for me and I am livid/happy I can't just rely on default set-pieces anymore. Livid because I keep conceding corner goals because I keep forgetting to set them and happy because for the first time in ten years I'm bothering with set-pieces (last time I did it was the corner exploit in '08 as Sam Sodje headed 25 goals a season to take Charlton into Europe).

5 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Don't they have one of the best academies in the game? I think the trick would be keeping the board on side for a few years while you draw in some intakes, then fire on.

Not sure how good their Academy is but expect it is very good.

Would you get the time to get these youngsters past PSG though and at the same time PSH are going to just be buying and buying. 

That's what might make France particularly hard. Not rubbish. Just hard.

That's the question, would the board put up with a few seasons of 2nd place finishes.

Then again, Monaco do start out as quite a strong side, a title challenge in season one isn't completely outlandish. Even PSG will drop points, Monaco should be capable enough to do as well, or close to as well as PSG against the other 18 sides. Though OL look really good this year too.

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

That's the question, would the board put up with a few seasons of 2nd place finishes.

Then again, Monaco do start out as quite a strong side, a title challenge in season one isn't completely outlandish. Even PSG will drop points, Monaco should be capable enough to do as well, or close to as well as PSG against the other 18 sides. Though OL look really good this year too.

And whoever Ranieri is managing too. Is he doing another Leicester?

1 hour ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

And whoever Ranieri is managing too. Is he doing another Leicester?

Nantes, he could be doing a Leicester, but right now, I'd imagine the players aren't of a quality in FM to keep up with reality as they'll mostly be rated off last seasons exploits.

12 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

Thinking of binning FM18 for now.  So many issues.  :mad:

There is no point pretending that they don't exist and in the past I have been as frustrated as you are. It's all about perception though. Instead of blaming the game for everything, (even the things that are broken), I blame myself, the Chairman or the players and try to find a workaround as if the save was real.

It allows me to get past some of the things that used to drive me mad. Yes there are things that actually break a game and stop it from working, but everything else is just an obstacle to overcome.

Please don't think I'm telling you that all is fine by the way. (I'm not). I'm just suggesting that looking at it differently might help you.

Still playing FMC15. :)

Hm3afT.jpg

WTF?

T4LRL1.jpg

We are playing Scotland now and currently 2-0 down. :eek::lol:

EDIT: It's now 2-2 after 30 mins.

EDIT 2: We lead 3-2 at HT.

EDIT 3: Final Score

YCEzdG.jpg

That was my 80th game in charge, Record is Won 68, Drawn 4, Lost 8.

11 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

So, since I've yet to figure out what kind of save I want to do for a CU thread(usually I'd have a few plans by now but this year's been a struggle), I loaded up Monaco, if only to have a poke around their squad.

They do have a really nice setup right off the bat.

Keepers aren't great, good enough short term, but both are in their 30's.

Sidibe, Glick, Jemerson and Jorge(:cool:) are a strong defensive core, Toure(I have really liked this guy in FM's past) and Kongolo are good depth at fuulback, but they're CB depth isn't great.

Moutinho and Fabinho are a great start in midfield, and Tielemans provides nice depth/prospect, holding mids could become an issue, some decent looking ones depends on how they develop.

Lemar, Jovetic(until he shatters like glass), Balde is a great attacking midfield, with Rony Lopes and Adama Traore for good depth.

Falcao is brilliant up front, not convinced by Carrillo, but a handy backup targetman, I guess.

Start with a few quality looking prospects in the reserves and academy too, Jordi Mboula looks an especially excellent prospect. Bongiovanni, Antonucci, Sylla, Badiashile(the 16 year old CB), and Kephren Thuram all look like they should easily hit at least a squad role, if not more. Of course a lot of them could vary from save to save.

Add great facilities, good junior coaching and well established recruitment, and intakes should be great.

If you were sure of the job over a length of time, they'd be an ideal top level youth only save. That said, the board do expect the title(really lads, really? I guess they did win it the year before, but that was pre Neymar/Mbappe PSG).... A title challenge would be a fairer expectation, and quite achievable.

10 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I haven't seen your thread.

Are you just having a dabble with the Beta or will you continue your save.

Who are you managing? #Jelous 

My thread is here. But I'm not starting it until the actual release, so just messing about with the beta right now, getting used to it all. 

And, for the third year in a row, it's RKC Waalwijk

I played my first matches on FM18 today. There are quite a few things to adjust to, especially being used to 13's layout. I was still looking for competition expectations under 'confidence' and for 'fixtures' rather than 'schedule' ;) Even people more familiar with recent versions have commented on the UI and the way the pitch and various screens appear and that's definitely been my experience, but I've quickly found what I've been looking for each time, and as for the match screen, I barely noticed after the first match.

Injuries have cropped up quite a bit in feedback but the only one I've had in 5 matches was in the second half of the 4th. Squad management will be tougher (especially having to work harder to impress them early on) and the two conversations I've had didn't go well, but then again it's harder to please players you don't particularly want than those you do. I even made a mess of trying to make a friendly departing comment to one of them as I sold him ;) Results haven't been great but they haven't been too bad either, a massive bug-bear being an appalling shot on target ratio (despite tactical settings specifically discouraging speculative shots), but maybe it was just my forwards being rubbish for a few matches since they have proven capable of getting their act together.

It will be interesting to get stuck into the league season (it was a pre-season national cup group stage before) and get more experience dealing with dynamics and other things (maybe needing a bit more tactical refinement as well) on a longer-term basis, having chosen club management (unlike for FM17) for that reason.

14 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

Thinking of binning FM18 for now.  So many issues.  :mad:

14 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

There is no point pretending that they don't exist and in the past I have been as frustrated as you are. It's all about perception though. Instead of blaming the game for everything, (even the things that are broken), I blame myself, the Chairman or the players and try to find a workaround as if the save was real.

It allows me to get past some of the things that used to drive me mad. Yes there are things that actually break a game and stop it from working, but everything else is just an obstacle to overcome.

Please don't think I'm telling you that all is fine by the way. (I'm not). I'm just suggesting that looking at it differently might help you.

Looks like I can wait for a sale (or final patch). :D

(I really do want this version. The scouting and contract changes alone look like it will be worth getting)

I’ve just been sacked with one game to go in the Jupiler League. For an ‘unconfirmed’ reason

We were predicted to finish 20th. We’re 10th and in the playoff hunt.

Dressing room morale is poor, however that is one player who is in the B Team who wants to leave (but they can’t out of a transfer window). No-one supports him and the two team leaders are happy with me.

The other two Dynamics indicators are green and good. THE CHAIRMAN HIMSELF IS DELIGHTED WITH MY WORK.

This is surely not what the Dynamics tab was supposed to be used for!! What a crock. A whole season wasted

2 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

I’ve just been sacked with one game to go in the Jupiler League. For an ‘unconfirmed’ reason

We were predicted to finish 20th. We’re 10th and in the playoff hunt.

Dressing room morale is poor, however that is one player who is in the B Team who wants to leave (but they can’t out of a transfer window). No-one supports him and the two team leaders are happy with me.

The other two Dynamics indicators are green and good. THE CHAIRMAN HIMSELF IS DELIGHTED WITH MY WORK.

This is surely not what the Dynamics tab was supposed to be used for!! What a crock. A whole season wasted

A bug, surely?

On 01/11/2017 at 12:15, Maw74 said:

Still playing FMC15. :)

Hm3afT.jpg

WTF?

T4LRL1.jpg

We are playing Scotland now and currently 2-0 down. :eek::lol:

EDIT: It's now 2-2 after 30 mins.

EDIT 2: We lead 3-2 at HT.

EDIT 3: Final Score

YCEzdG.jpg

That was my 80th game in charge, Record is Won 68, Drawn 4, Lost 8.

What would we have to moan about with a manager that plays exciting football and wins trophies? You're killing alcohol sales!

Also FM07 all the way, mister.

15 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

What would we have to moan about with a manager that plays exciting football and wins trophies? You're killing alcohol sales!

Also FM07 all the way, mister.

That is before my FM time, my first FM was 10.

My latest England game.

fXALKj.png

Had a 2-2 with Belgium before that and that was enough to secure a Semi-Final place before the Scotland game.

I am done with FM18 until they sort it out.  Very disappointed.  FM16 & 17 were very stable, even in beta, but there are so many issues with this version it is ridiculous.  Pointless extra clicks required, scouting is a complete mess, Dynamics, which I was really looking forward to, is terrible and no tactics seem to work.  At all.  Fed up.

Archived